WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thompson bay accident

Taboma

Reaction score
Shit . . . when I was a kid maybe 12-13 years old, I was helping pull one of those 'pool-covers' back over the pool after we were done swimming . . .the type that is like heavy duty bubble wrap.
I was in the deep end and just about had the whole cover pulled over the pool when my dickhead buddies at the time thought it would be funny to pull the cover over on top of me . . . think about being under a heavy plastic cover . . . i couldn't touch bottom, and I couldn't break the suction to get an air pocket, I'd just push myself down deeper. I could see their shadows/profiles from under the water at the pools edge.
Luckily my friends dad saw what was going on, came over and pulled the cover back and reached down and yanked me up. That was the WORST/ SCARIEST feeling I've ever had . . . felt like an eternity.
I remember the Dad being so pissed he threw one of the kids in the bushes ! LOL.

And during the follow years your buddies perished under mysterious circumstances ☠ ? Yes, please say yes 🙏

grumpy88

Reaction score
If you rent a corvette you have to have a drivers lic , That would mean you at least have the skill and the rules to drive that car....New boat rental guy, No skill to drive the boat, no rules he would no about on the water. Now add all the things that he would be responsible with a boat load of drunk clueless people that is distracting him
while trying to drive the boat. Also none of your passengers in a car can drown by a mistake not knowing how the wind can come up and blow there boat away....
Do all people who rent a 15 passenger van fill it with " drunk clueless people distracting the driver " ? I missed the part in this tragedy where the rental boat operator was distracted by drunk people ? I have yet to read where alcohol was a factor .

samsah33

Reaction score
You know I have 3 little boys and a pool. I’m like you, swim lessons before they could walk. Tragic accidents happen extremely fast. I’ve had some close calls with several sets of eyes on my boys. It just really happens that fast.
Pools and guns. Gotta make sure they're properly trained on how to use both safely if you have them at your house.

hallett21

Reaction score
Still sick about this. Looking at the timeline I’m sure my wife and I passed them headed to copper canyon +\- 15 mins.

We floated in copper canyon for 2ish hours. We almost got hit by 4-5 “boaters”. One family within 2 ft of the rub rail just yelled how do we stop we don’t know what we’re doing. They ended up just ramming into the bushes and throwing an anchor off the stern.

Last trip we screamed as a rental driver backed down on a swimmer in copper canyon. No problem he threw it into neutral just in time for her to stand in the cavitation plate. Then back in gear. We kept yelling till he shut it down and said sorry bro it’s my first time.

It’s been the theme for 18 months but goddam people. No wonder we stay up on the river lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Other than a typical throw cushion with a retrieving line tied to it, does anyone know of a better throwable device? If its windy, that throw cushion will catch the wind like a sail in mid-flight and most likely land nowhere close to the victim you are aiming at. I have seen the throwable retrievable line-in-a-bag advertised which might have a bit better chance of overcoming the wind due to its weight but never tried one.
Yes, I keep a throw bag in every boat, as well as a throwable with attached rope, both within driver’s seat reach. I teach throwbag techniques for our swift water and FEMA teams and they can be amazingly consistent and accurate where a cushion is a lot like a frisbee… difficult to repeat.
Sad situation for the family. My heart goes out to them. The suffering, guilt, and blame must be overwhelming.

rrrr

Reaction score
Yes, I keep a throw bag in every boat, as well as a throwable with attached rope, both within driver’s seat reach. I teach throwbag techniques for our swift water and FEMA teams and they can be amazingly consistent and accurate where a cushion is a lot like a frisbee… difficult to repeat.
Sad situation for the family. My heart goes out to them. The suffering, guilt, and blame must be overwhelming.

A throw bag with a line is an important tool when an emergency situation arises. They cost very little, every one of you should have one and be proficient in its use.

Last edited:

instagator

Reaction score
Do all people who rent a 15 passenger van fill it with " drunk clueless people distracting the driver " ? I missed the part in this tragedy where the rental boat operator was distracted by drunk people ? I have yet to read where alcohol was a factor .
A throw bag with a line is an important tool when an emergency situation arises. They cost very little, every one of you should have one and be proficient in its use.
This statement has nothing to do with this accident, I was comparing the difference between renting a car and renting a boat .

instagator

Reaction score
A driver license is required to rent a boat in Havasu I believe. I’m certain you have to be an adult.

The boater safety course teaches you none of those things you mentioned either.

People die on the road in cars and have licenses to drive cars. You will never legislate away people dying because of ignorance or accidents.

So it sounds like you are advocating for a boating driver license, a swimming certification, and also an alcohol permit and education course before any people go on the water in any kind of boat?

We don’t need more legislation to deter tragic accidents. Tragic accidents will continue to occur.
A driver license is required to rent a boat in Havasu I believe. I’m certain you have to be an adult.

The boater safety course teaches you none of those things you mentioned either.

People die on the road in cars and have licenses to drive cars. You will never legislate away people dying because of ignorance or accidents.

So it sounds like you are advocating for a boating driver license, a swimming certification, and also an alcohol permit and education course before any people go on the water in any kind of boat?

We don’t need more legislation to deter tragic accidents. Tragic accidents will continue to occur.
I say No lic to drive a boat...Years ago probably in the 80 s , i rented a jetski at Catherns landing. They made me watch a video mainly boating safety before they would rent me the Seadoo, Even though i told him i was an experience boat driver . What happened to that method, 10 min video and you had a clue,

instagator

Reaction score
I would make it a rule in the rental boat businesses, 8 min vid u download to your phone, Also a screen to watch about safety while your signing the rental agreement,
If i had a boat rental business I would do that just to protect myself. Maybe fewer problems.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Rental boats are one of the main reasons we are looking for a place at havasu springs. We put our fifth wheel on a spot all summer now and hang there. I want to be down river or up river but nowhere near the channel/Thompson bay. Too much madness between the skis and rental boats.

hallett3

Reaction score
To many boaters don’t know the rules, plus rentals have never been boaters. All this madness and craziness is why I boat during the week. The only thing I miss is the amount of lady’s sun tanning on weekends. 😋

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Sad news, RIP young man.
I agree that a boater safety course or 10 minute video may not cover boat jumping or wind drift, but it may just heighten awareness and get the common sense juices flowing.
I took the PowerSquadron Safety course when I got my jet bote. Primarily for the insurance discount, but it opened my eyes and I still read anything I come across related to boating.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
How things have changed, my parents neighbors put in a swimming pool in 1952. Before it was finished they contacted all the neighbors who had children and set up free swim lessons at their house as soon as the pool was finished.
Interesting part, they had no children.

rrrr

Reaction score
How things have changed, my parents neighbors put in a swimming pool in 1952. Before it was finished they contacted all the neighbors who had children and set up free swim lessons at their house as soon as the pool was finished.
Interesting part, they had no children.

A family in my Albuquerque neighborhood had a large pool. They installed a flagpole in their front yard, and when the flag was up, they welcomed all kids to swim.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you have ever tried to save a drowning victim you would know, the panic is unreal of the victim and they'll try anything to stay on the surface, even if it means trying to stay on top of you. It is truly the worst thing to watch as I have witnessed it twice in my younger days.

I never knew what “panic” truly was until I was older and witnessed it a few times. It’s an interesting thing and some people are prone to it while Others don’t seem to ever panic. Than there’s an interesting thing where it’s situational..

Some people will completely panic in some situations, while being completely calm in other situations that you would think would be terrifying.

What I mean by that is if a small fire breaks out a lot of people will completely lose their shit and reasoningand the small problem will become a big problem. While others just put the fire out..

That same person that may freak out about the small fire might be completely calm at the scene of a car wreck and pulling people out of carnage and doing cpr, while the guy that’s calm with the fire might be losing his shit in that situation.

Hard to tell what triggers it, but when it happens it is fucking crazy to see.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I never knew what “panic” truly was until I was older and witnessed it a few times. It’s an interesting thing and some people are prone to it while Others don’t seem to ever panic. Than there’s an interesting thing where it’s situational..

Some people will completely panic in some situations, while being completely calm in other situations that you would think would be terrifying.

What I mean by that is if a small fire breaks out a lot of people will completely lose their shit and reasoningand the small problem will become a big problem. While others just put the fire out..

That same person that may freak out about the small fire might be completely calm at the scene of a car wreck and pulling people out of carnage and doing cpr, while the guy that’s calm with the fire might be losing his shit in that situation.

Training helps with this... I have a lot of training and in certain situations, the training just takes over. I’ve surprised the hell out of myself

JDKRXW

Reaction score
In life guard training they taught us how to kick/push someone off of you so they don’t bring you down as well so you can reevaluate.
Me too (many years ago).
They also taught us that you never, ever try to rescue anyone that's panic drowning by grabbing them directly.....or the chances of you drowning too are astronomically high. You always put something between you and the victim....even a wet towel.....and never get in a position where you could get grabbed.
This was in a lake (not a pool) and I certainly understand how you could get taken under.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Yep. Saw a lot of that during the Vegas shooting... Also found out I'm one of those that does not panic.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Training helps with this... I have a lot of training and in certain situations, the training just takes over. I’ve surprised the hell out of myself

This is an interesting topic that I have discussed with people regarding anxiety and other "feelings" or "conditions" that a DR will just give you a prescription drug for. You can train yourself to deal with quite a bit. Not everything, but there is a lot a person can do to condition and train their mind.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Did I miss the part where you and looking glass are at odds while I was gone?

He's had a raging hard on for me since literally his first post 6 months ago. No idea why but he came out of the gate = swinging.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He's had a raging hard on for me since literally his first post 6 months ago. No idea why but he came out of the gate = swinging.

He was a little salty towards a lot of peeps.. I thought he was kinda mellowing out. Lol

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Did I miss the part where you and looking glass are at odds while I was gone?
In the Havasu eats thread somebody was just saying how does the owner of a place not know WTF is going on at his business. Guess the owner of the Boat House is not alone

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
When it comes to drowning i will say i did panic . I paused just long enough to look my friend in the eyes and say i need help ! Thank god i was younger and fitter then because i gave it all i had and made it to shore . Immediately looking back all i had to do was tread water and let the current take me down river . I became older and wiser that day .

riverroyal

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic that I have discussed with people regarding anxiety and other "feelings" or "conditions" that a DR will just give you a prescription drug for. You can train yourself to deal with quite a bit. Not everything, but there is a lot a person can do to condition and train their mind.
not everything....is the key 2 words. Your body has 3 major chemicals. If they dont balance there is no 'mind control' to train it. Cognitive thinking only goes so far.

Duramax

Reaction score
I know someone who lost a child due to a pool incident. It was a tragic accident, that they deal with daily. The guilt, what-if, etc is huge. My family friend will never get over the accident. He lost his 12yo son who was swimming laps in the pool (extra practice for swim team). Tragic accident!

Now, those who have a pool, but don’t take the time to make sure their children know who to swim - I have issues with. My daughter was in swim lessons @ 4months of age and I don’t have a pool (did it for safety with boating).
That's horrible. My daughter is an amazing swimmer at 4. We had her in the water very early, showing her the sides, steps, floating on your back when you get tired, etc. I think she would last longer than me in the water! It takes a big worry away from me when we are around water, even though I still watch her like a hawk.

I worked with a man who lost his 3 year old drowning in the family pool. Slipped through the fence and fell in, all while he was home. Within 2 years his wife blamed him and left him, within 4 years he was an alcoholic, and the next year he killed himself. Hug your kiddos..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The hard one with kids is where do we draw the line. We all know people who wrap their kids life in bubble wrap and limit the things they can experience, and we all know people who wouldn't hesitate to take their kids base jumping. Where is the happy medium

DWC

Reaction score

Pretty much me if it’s a family member in danger. I might have had some embarrassing moments when the kids were younger.

1624559460309.gif

Seas

Reaction score
Do you have a preference/recommendation when it comes to throw bags?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Do you have a preference/recommendation when it comes to throw bags?
I use the NRS bags to be consistent with work products but they are a little pricey. All you need is something like this…