WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thought I'd share this pic and some history (boating content!)

PlanB

Reaction score
Some cool boats in this thread! I remember Marks 46 "Double Take" sitting next to my 40 and thinking how gigantic it was!

Our 28 next to a 40' at Scott Conrad's place in HB when we were buying it. Huge difference in size.

DSC00133.JPG

You can see mark's 46' in the background. Scott had some really nice boats in that shop.

DSC00110.JPG

Duramax

Reaction score
Our 28 next to a 40' at Scott Conrad's place in HB when we were buying it. Huge difference in size.

View attachment 1046667

You can see mark's 46' in the background. Scott had some really nice boats in that shop.

View attachment 1046668
Some bad ass stuff! Your 28 is beautiful.

Do you and @Tank remember when Greg's silver 32 Doug Wright was there? I flew out there to look at it and was thinking on making a deal to downsize my 40, and trade it on Greg's 32. Deal fell through, which is fine because I am sure Scot would have f**ked me over again, lol

Tank

Reaction score

Do you and @Tank remember when Greg's silver 32 Doug Wright was there? I flew out there to look at it and was thinking on making a deal to downsize my 40, and trade it on Greg's 32. Deal fell through, which is fine because I am sure Scot would have f**ked me over again, lol
I do remember Greg's DW. Thing was SICK. Of course, I really liked his 36 Nor Tech too. Thing impressed me big time running in some stupid big water in the Pacific.

Gregs DW...Wonder where it is now.

34 rear side view.jpg
34 trailer.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score

I don't remember a Doug Wright. I did not get up to HB much after I bought my Skater from Scott.

Duramax

Reaction score
I do remember Greg's DW. Thing was SICK. Of course, I really liked his 36 Nor Tech too. Thing impressed me big time running in some stupid big water in the Pacific.

Gregs DW...Wonder where it is now.

View attachment 1046692 View attachment 1046693
The problem was the cockpit was so tiny. Not that we needed a lot of room, but a little more than that. I have a bunch of cool pics of I need to dig out.

Tank

Reaction score
The problem was the cockpit was so tiny. Not that we needed a lot of room, but a little more than that. I have a bunch of cool pics of I need to dig out.
Yeah, those original DW's were just race boats with the top cut off of them so not really meant for more room than 2. Just like the original MTI's really.

I remember the Powerboat mag that had the story on the wrap. SO cool, all of it.
It was fun doing the projects through PBM. New gauges, throttles, wrap, stereo, underwater lights / camera. The new project will be covered in SOTW. ;) 👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yeah, those original DW's were just race boats with the top cut off of them so not really meant for more room than 2. Just like the original MTI's really.

It was fun doing the projects through PBM. New gauges, throttles, wrap, stereo, underwater lights / camera. The new project will be covered in SOTW. ;) 👍
Funny thing, I never had helicopters seeking me out in my 30' Magic lol.... looks like you had an experienced crew onboard cause nobody cared much for that hat taking flight.... nothing like bending down at the wrong time while boats coming up .... boom ouch my head!

Backlash

Reaction score
Tank, does the 42X have the same bottom that they used on the Revolution? Whatever happened to all of those boats, you almost never see one. Maybe the twin capsule look of the Revolution was ahead of it's time, and never caught on with the customers who preferred the classic looks of the 38' Top Guns, 41' Apaches, etc.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank, does the 42X have the same bottom that they used on the Revolution? Whatever happened to all of those boats, you almost never see one. Maybe the twin capsule look of the Revolution was ahead of it's time, and never caught on with the customers who preferred the classic looks of the 38' Top Guns, 41' Apaches, etc.
No, not at all. The Revolution (42' standard non-stepped vee) was a stretched top gun. It did have the canopy design and a bit of a bubble deck. I personally was never a huge fan. They built probably 25 of them or maybe a little more. But they were to foundation of the Tiger. The Revolution spawned the "Evolution". a 42' non stepped vee hull (same hull as the Revolution) with a flatter deck. They built 4, or maybe 5 of these (one burned) and raced them. Then using the same hull they changed the deck and whola, pay dirt, the Tiger was born and was very popular. The first Tigers were built in the very late 90's and came in triple or standard set up with bravo or #6 configuration.

Couple Revolution shots. The pink one is probably the most popular Revolution ever built. "Mr. Cigarette". A pink Revo race set up campaigned all over the world.
Mr. CIgarette.jpg
Revo.jpg

Evolutions -

evolution2.jpg

evolution.jpg

Also in the late 90's Cigarette stepped their first 38. They blocked a Vee hull and made a single step boat. They only built 3 I believe. Rob Shin (who later owned the famed Rice Hauler TS Top Gun that was stolen and recovered etc) owned one of the first single stepped guns. another was the cloud painted F2 factory race boat. The single steps were NOTORIOUSLY horrendous handling boats.

F2 Single step. Cig went on to build 4 twin step Factory Race boats and win the world championship with Phil Lipshutz (lipship marine) at the helm.

F2.2.jpg

F2.jpg

This is where the 42 Cigarette gets interesting. So in the early 2000's they stepped (blocked) the 38 and 42 hulls and created the TS Tiger and TS Gun (buddy Chet Huffamn owned the first TS Gun "Miami Two Step"). But in 01 or 02 Cigarette built a new TS mold for the Gun and like 04 they came out with the 42x which was also a completely new hull from the ground up. At one point in the early 2000s you could choose from a standard non stepped 42 Tiger with big power and 6's. A T/S Tiger with bravos or a 42X with whatever the hell you wanted. The 42X mold added a third baby step behind the larger twin steps. The problem was the TS Tiger did NOT like big power and 6's. The CG was off. So Cig built the 42X hull. Once they rigged the 42X hull with every imaginable power they quickly found it was the most efficient and best handling hull they ever built and they got rid of the other two 42 models.

42 TS and two 42X's (including Kevin Schulte's baby blue 42x from the Miami Boat Show). You can see the 3rd smaller step in the X models. Cigarette also put this baby step in the 46 Rider and the 50 Marauder (50' Marauder had a cool development and growth story to its current model as well).

TS Tiger
TS Tiger.jpg
TS Tiger2.jpg

42X
42X.jpg
42X3.jpg

So that's the long answer to your question! Sorry for the ramble. LOL

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for the response and the photos! Yeah I was always on the fence about the Revolutions too. Depending on the colors, sometimes they looked good and other times, well, not so much. I wasn't sure of the history, as they sorta fell off the face of the earth. I'll never be able to afford any of the big Cigarettes, but if I could scrounge up the money for one, I'd be plenty happy with a simple Bullet or a Cafe Racer. 😉

clarence

Reaction score
I'm pretty settled on a SOB, but this thread makes me think about a Donzi Classic.

Such a great look.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score