WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ticketmaster question

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’ve never bought tickets for an event the day they go on sale.
So, my kid really wants tickets to see Tool in Boston but he’s camping with iffy internet so I try for him.

Tickets go on sale at 7:00AM west coast time, he lives east coast.

So, I log in under his account because they are only selling them electronically.
Good thing he drove to town because he/me still needed an authorization code to try to purchase.
I get in a queue, wait 20 minutes to finally try to buy a couple tickets. No luck.
Check back an hour later and there is a shit ton of tickets available, at a huge premium of course through TM by “confirmed resellers “ our what ever they referred them as.

Why with all the security to try and alleviate scalpers do they allow huge mark ups for their “preferred” resellers?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I think a lot of people (so called fans), buy at face value and then immediately turn around and sell them via Ticketmaster. They show as Verified Fan Resale. I don’t know or understand all of the ticket selling process, but this appears what is happening.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
This ain't nothing new.....the old skool way was the scalpers.....now it's just online scalping on StubHub and other sites. The real fans cant even score on regular tickets the regular way.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
As a teenagr it was cool to hop the bus downtown, stand in line with the other fans to get tickets.
Now it just seems like a scam.
Still try to hit up concerts as there is a generation that won't be around much longer. Pay the piper.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Yeah it is total BS. I have bought tickets the last couple of years and this method sucks more than the past. But what are yo to do?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ticket master is a huge scam. Call a couple of local brokers direct. Here in orange county i use mikes tickets in costa mesa. At the very least you will save a few bucks on service charges and other stupid fees.

i just bought tickets for a concert in october through live nation (the wiltern) Tickets were 35 bucks. Total bill 100 thats 30% of the tickets price in crap fees. Stupid.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You guys think the artist has nothing to do with it, and it’s the scalpers and Ticketmaster who are the scam?
Think again.

The artists are in on it and share the profits.
It’s just PR so the artist can claim ignorance.

“I made my tickets affordable for my fans! I can’t control scalpers” is utter bullsbit.

Irving Aziff, former CEO of Ticketmaster:
You know, Ticketmaster was set up as a system where they took the heat for everybody. Ticketmaster gets a minority percentage of that service charge. In that service charge are the credit-card fees, the rebates to the buildings, rebates sometimes to artists, sometimes rebates to promoters.

David Marcus, current CEO: We would say it in the hallways: the reason that we’re successful as we are is because we take those bullets on behalf of the venue, the artists, the promoter.

Steven Dubner, Freakinomics host:
Of course, if you worked for Ticketmaster like David Marcus does, you’d probably say that, too. But all the evidence we’ve been hearing today — from economists who’ve researched the ticket industry and governments who’ve investigated it — it seems to back up the argument that Ticketmaster does the bidding of other parties. The evidence also points to a fairly bizarre ecosystem where certain parties want to keep prices low, for appearances’ sake, but also want to make as much money as they can. And they’ve built in a series of opaque transactions to make that happen.

Full episode here:
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/live-event-ticket-market-screwed/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro