WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tile Laying ??'s

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I'm going to be laying tile in the laundry room
5' x 8' size
It has linoleum / vinyl flooring now. Can i just lay the new tile over it?

I have the tile, cement & grout already
If I decide i just don't want to do it what do you I'm looking at cost wise to install?
tiles are 6" x 2'

Thanks in advance.

rivergames

Reaction score
5' x 8' size

If I decide i just don't want to do it what do you I'm looking at cost wise to install?
tiles are 6" x 2'

Thanks in advance.

Rip out the linoleum and then grind the glue off the concrete. You want a fresh concrete substrate to lay the tile on.

You want to use thinset to adhere the tile, not cement.

Keep a bucket of fresh water with a sponge close by. You will use it quite a bit.

You can get joint spacers at Home Depot so the joints are uniform.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Rip out the linoleum and then grind the glue off the concrete. You want a fresh concrete substrate to lay the tile on.

You want to use thinset to adhere the tile, not cement.

Keep a bucket of fresh water with a sponge close by. You will use it quite a bit.

You can get joint spacers at Home Depot so the joints are uniform.

It is on the 2nd floor (wood floor)

I meant thinset not cement my bad.

cofooter

Reaction score
I've put tile over linoleum on a concrete base before with no problem, using a special thinset. Would not do that over wood, though. You need to put cement board over the wood, or linoleum, then tile.

Reactions: DWC

rivergames

Reaction score
Since it is a plywood substrate, I'd leave the vinyl and screw the cement board over it. The glue holding the vinyl might pull layers off the plywood substrate if you tried demoing.

Typically tile + thinset is right around 1/2" thick. Add a 1/2" layer of cement board and you are now 1" higher in elevation. You would need to have a threshold created to loose that inch.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Spend a few minutes on you tube and you will find want you are looking for.

Singleton

Reaction score
Prep is key!
Doing the same job in my downstairs bathroom (plywood sub). Leveling any low spots, then 1/4 cement board then the tile.

I will spend a weekend making sure it is level and cement board installed good and solid before even touching the tile.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. It is much appreciated.
The little woman called and one estimate is about 1500 just for install.
Looks like I'm going to learn how to tile. LOL

Justfishing

Reaction score
How thick is the subfloor. What is the spacing, size and length of the joists? What are you using to decouple the tile

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Spend a few minutes on you tube and you will find want you are looking for.

I'm liking the second video for main reason i don't add much height to the floor.
Same withe Ditra membrane.

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Why couldn't you all just say yes, lay it over the vinyl LOL

RichL

Reaction score
Just be sure there is little to no deflection of the sub floor. With 2' long tiles a little deflection will ruin it in a very short time.

A lot of good information here that will make your head spin...LOL
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1
How thick is the subfloor. What is the spacing, size and length of the joists? What are you using to decouple the tile

Rule of thumb that I was taught as a minimum floor thickness should be 1-1/4" before tile. I always screw the backer to the plywood but use thinset to bond the two together as well to stiffen the floor structure. When screwing I always run 4" OC at the perimeter and 8" OC in the field of each piece of backer. Proper screws are important as well. If the wrong ones are used they may break during installation or the screw heads may not sink flush.

Good luck with your project.

wzuber

Reaction score
x's 10 on the John Bridge tile forum, excellent resource.
solid/tight vinyl over concrete works too, acts as a slip sheet. you have to scuff it and then clean it real good. Also need to use the right thinset with a flex additive I believe. I did this on my parents laundry room floor and it's been great for the last 12 yrs, no issues.

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
5' x 8' size

tiles are 6" x 2'

Thanks in advance.
set tile and lay carpet...have to check some MILF's to find carpet though...

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Just be sure there is little to no deflection of the sub floor. With 2' long tiles a little deflection will ruin it in a very short time.

A lot of good information here that will make your head spin...LOL
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Yep, we had long tiles installed in a bathroom area that used to have carpet. The installers installed cement boards, but where we walk, the grout is all crumbling.

wzuber

Reaction score
Yep, we had long tiles installed in a bathroom area that used to have carpet. The installers installed cement boards, but where we walk, the grout is all crumbling.
That could be a grout issue if it's crumbling. They may have used the wrong grout for the application. A multi tool will remove the grout pretty easily and it can be re-grouted with hopefully satisfactory results. Grouting is a bit messy but not hard to do. The J.B. forum will be a great resource if you want to try to correct it yourself.
That's a bummer you have an issue with the floor. Sucks when shit don't work out like you hope it will. Selecting an appropriate type/size material for the type/location of the application is as important as anything else.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
That could be a grout issue if it's crumbling. They may have used the wrong grout for the application. A multi tool will remove the grout pretty easily and it can be re-grouted with hopefully satisfactory results. Grouting is a bit messy but not hard to do. The J.B. forum will be a great resource if you want to try to correct it yourself.
That's a bummer you have an issue with the floor. Sucks when shit don't work out like you hope it will. Selecting an appropriate type/size material for the type/location of the application is as important as anything else.
The weird thing is that while it is crumbling a bit, the rest of it just seems to disappear somewhere. When the house was built in 1992, I do know the builder (Lusk) didn't use regular solid wood joists. They used an engineered joist that is supposed to be quieter, but I have always noticed a bit of 'bounce' in the floor.

Yeah, I need to make a weekend project to remove and replace, but until then we will just put a rug over it.....

Mikes56

Reaction score
Make sure the new tile won't sit too high if you put it on top of the linoleum and Hardiboard. It would suck if there was a big lip that you jammed your toes into every time you walked on it. Or the door won't close if there's a door there.

Your ad here

Reaction score
How many beers, home depot trips, and bad words said would this project be?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. It is much appreciated.
The little woman called and one estimate is about 1500 just for install.
Looks like I'm going to learn how to tile. LOL

$37.50 a sq ft. Damn I need to raise my prices. If linoleum stays it's a easy 1. If you are close to Torrance I could have someone do it for half that.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
How many beers, home depot trips, and bad words said would this project be?
I’m gonna say a Fn shitload of bad words. Lots of alcoholic beverage drinks breaks. And the worst part will be the wife and I going at it.
[emoji849][emoji1634]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
$37.50 a sq ft. Damn I need to raise my prices. If linoleum stays it's a easy 1. If you are close to Torrance I could have someone do it for half that.

Which is why I am going to (to try) and do it myself now. I was shocked but not at the same time.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The original linoleum is beginning to look pretty good from my perspective.

Very true but the bathroom right next it has the tile Already and we have enough to do the laundry room. Plus the little woman already has had it laid out for months. Lo
IMG_2965.jpg
IMG_2962.jpg

Turnup

Reaction score
..my OCD would have me hanging from the ceiling in a matter of days

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
..my OCD would have me hanging from the ceiling in a matter of days

I don’t go in the laundry room so it’s not all that bad. [emoji33][emoji12]