WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time for new TV.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Always been a die hard samsung guy.. needed a smart TV for a extra room we have and gave hisense uhd a try. Damm thing turned out to be my favorite TV in the house. šŸ˜‰

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Well our 12 year old 55" Panasonic bit the bullet. Probably going to 65" for replacement.

What's good for around $1K. Don't need the baller deal just want opinions on what's good and what sucks.

Thanks
We have both newer Samsung and Sony. We prefer the Sony. They Sony is in the family room. sports,movies. The Sony has a more "film like" picture. The Samsung are nice but sometimes look video game-ish. Sony 65' X85-J. Samsung 8000 series

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
View attachment 1052444

Screen burn-in at 5 months LG QLED $2600.
COSTCO employees say itā€™s common.

COSTCO warranty we bought extra cost only gave us about $800 toward a new TV.

New Samsung TV boxes say ā€œno screen burn-in TVā€ in huge block letters on the side.

If ya go with LG roll with the cheapest.
Our cheap-O LG big screens in the TH have been excellent and they take a beating. Wife runs them 24/7 in her sleep-a-thons.
Damn. Do you/or did you pause alot on the same station?

Reactions: TPC

Taboma

Reaction score
I was going to but didn't.
Just couldnā€™t peel off the $ for the Q series, and wanted a Q7 minimum.
Ive decided that I just wonā€™t pay more than a grand for a tv anymore.
Itā€™s not as important to me to have that perfect picture anymore. Getting older I guess? Lol
Kind of why I didnā€™t mind trying this Visio.
But my honest opinion is that in the sub $1000 market the 65ā€ Sam UHD 8 series is the no brainer go to choice.
I did see that in the 55ā€ size much better deals are to be had. But my whole purpose in replacing the 51ā€ was to go bigger

One of the frustrations I've had with Samsung is each year when they introduce a better model, they lower the price on lower one, but appears like a good deal is really a reduction of features. As an example, a couple of years ago the Q7 was nicely featured and fully backlit, just not as many bells and whistles as the Q8. Next year, the Q7 is a tad cheaper, but now edge lit and even fewer bells and whistles. Point is, they don't just add more goodies on top, they remove a few from the bottom as well, I suppose this is all about keeping some model disparity otherwise what's the incentive to go higher.

I've heard and read great things about Visio, my son has a couple he's most pleased with.

Taboma

Reaction score
Damn. Do you/or did you pause alot on the same station?

We pause our Directv DVR all the time, but in the past it had the bouncing Pong-Like DTV logo and now with the genie it's the lovely silent AT&T ads followed by changing image slides. Even our Fire Cube alternates pictures when paused. Video game perhaps ?

EDIT: Just notice on TPC's screen it shows morning news burned in --- Hmmm, not sure what the source was he had paused that froze there like that ????

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
One of the frustrations I've had with Samsung is each year when they introduce a better model, they lower the price on lower one, but appears like a good deal is really a reduction of features. As an example, a couple of years ago the Q7 was nicely featured and fully backlit, just not as many bells and whistles as the Q8. Next year, the Q7 is a tad cheaper, but now edge lit and even fewer bells and whistles. Point is, they don't just add more goodies on top, they remove a few from the bottom as well, I suppose this is all about keeping some model disparity otherwise what's the incentive to go higher.

I've heard and read great things about Visio, my son has a couple he's most pleased with.

That is true!
What I look for more and more is who has my damned hookups for all my old shit.
This Visio actually has AV inputs for my little $20 DVD player. Sammy had none.
It also has more HDMIā€™s than the Sam 7000, which only lists 2 available. Think the 8000 has 3-4?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Second this, I have a Samsung I got about 3 years ago. Now I can't even have more than 2 apps loaded in add to the pre loaded stuff, says I'm out of memory. I called Samsung and they said they are aware of it but working on the issues. That was about 5 months ago. Still nothing.

Had the same thing happen with my LG. Bought a firestick and now all good, no issues with memory or apps glitching.

sintax

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen with my LG. Bought a firestick and now all good, no issues with memory or apps glitching.

yea, they're pretty sweet devices.

Best of all, when I head out to Havasu (or any other trip) i'll just grab my firestick and take it with me in the event i have some downtime or just want some quick tunes.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
yea, they're pretty sweet devices.

Best of all, when I head out to Havasu (or any other trip) i'll just grab my firestick and take it with me in the event i have some downtime or just want some quick tunes.

They are on sale at Best Buy right now. $34.95 for the 4k one. I grabbed 2 for the Havasu House yesterday so we don't have just basic local channels in the rooms anymore.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I am hooked on this Samsung remote. so much ease and simplicity. You never have to look down at it to hunt and peck at the buttons. Really makes the smart TV experience great.

View attachment 1052427
the samsung remote is great BUT......I have the TV and the soundbar (front and rear wireless) the TV remote does not give you all of the control over the soundbar, you need to use the soundbar remote to set levels

dspracing

Reaction score
the samsung remote is great BUT......I have the TV and the soundbar (front and rear wireless) the TV remote does not give you all of the control over the soundbar, you need to use the soundbar remote to set levels

Are you referring to volume levels or are you tweaking sound settings? I don't adjust any settings, just the volume so it doesn't affect me any.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
You might need a new space heater now too after replacing that plasma. They were notorious for putting off lots of heat.

Running the heat is just not needed with that thing on.
Its on right now because my wife loves to get all worked up by watching the news. :rolleyes:

bocco

Reaction score
Thanks to all for lots of good advice. Ended up buying a Samsung Q80 at Video Only. Same deal as last time I bought a TV from them. Went in looking for a Q60 at $949. The Q70 was only $50 more so I said lets go with that. None in the store. One in the warehouse and can have it on Wednesday. Since I want it today they knocked the Q80 down to $1050.00. So send a friend in to see what's in stock. Then you go in and try to buy what they don't have and take the deal when they try to sell you the upgrade. The sale people have a print out says how low they can go to make the deal.