WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time for tires

Get415

Reaction score
Currently on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on a diesel truck and they are fine but time to replace. Just highway driving and occasional heavy towing. Stick with these or considering Toyo AT III all terrains??? Any other options i should be looking at that are good with heavy loads

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
35" NItto Ridge Grapplers. Depending on how heavy you're towing, a few of my customers have done the 35's in an F load rating.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I liked the Nitto Terra Grapplers on a truck and really liked them,

Riverhound

Reaction score
Recently replaced a set of 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, overall a good tire but they got some weird wear and vibrations towards the end of their life cycle. I went with 37" Toyo Open Country RT's and like them so far. They're quiet, smooth riding and the guys that mounted them up said they balanced really easy for a big tire.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Without question the toyos. These have 43000 miles. 35s on a f150. Never go out of balance.
Resized_20201121_135801.jpeg

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
35" NItto Ridge Grapplers. Depending on how heavy you're towing, a few of my customers have done the 35's in an F load rating.
Ugh! I'll never get these tires again - They look great, but they're loud and and ride friggin' hard with that F rating. When you're on rough pavement they'll let you know.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Recently replaced a set of 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, overall a good tire but they got some weird wear and vibrations towards the end of their life cycle. I went with 37" Toyo Open Country RT's and like them so far. They're quiet, smooth riding and the guys that mounted them up said they balanced really easy for a big tire.
These.

TPayne

Reaction score
I just got a set of the Toyo A/T III in July and they have been great so far. Have put about 3k on them and have no complaints. A little dirty in the photo, but we just got back from the desert.

Attachments

• 20201123_140306.jpg
    20201123_140306.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 130

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I had been a BFG guy since 95' but didn't like the new side walls, went to TOYO last year and they are a great tire, wear, looks, ride etc.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I liked the Nitto Terra Grapplers on a truck and really liked them,
I guess results may vary?
I had them and hated them.
Way too much sidewall flex for my tastes.
Tried various pressures, rebalancing, rotating, etc.
Borderline scary.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Ugh! I'll never get these tires again - They look great, but they're loud and and ride friggin' hard with that F rating. When you're on rough pavement they'll let you know.

No doubt on being firm, but it's one of the few options that have the F load range if someone wants that. I think you're the first person I've heard say they are loud, most of the customers that we have installed them always comment on how quiet they are. Could have been a bad set, it happens with every brand, model, etc. I hope you found something comparable that works

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
No doubt on being firm, but it's one of the few options that have the F load range if someone wants that. I think you're the first person I've heard say they are loud, most of the customers that we have installed them always comment on how quiet they are. Could have been a bad set, it happens with every brand, model, etc. I hope you found something comparable that works
I didn't want the F rating, but in my size 305/55/20, that's the only load rating available for those tires. Since I'm in the truck by myself I never realized how noisy they were until we did the first river trip with these tires, I had to turn down the radio to carry on a conversaion - I've never had to do that before with any of the other tires. I had the Toyo Open Country II, but there was just too much tread flex in those, it made the truck feel like the tires were underinflated, I had those replaced after a week, luckily Toyo offers a 500 mile "test drive". Maybe next time I'll try BFG's, they seem to be everyone's go-to tire.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I didn't want the F rating, but in my size 305/55/20, that's the only load rating available for those tires. Since I'm in the truck by myself I never realized how noisy they were until we did the first river trip with these tires, I had to turn down the radio to carry on a conversaion - I've never had to do that before with any of the other tires. I had the Toyo Open Country II, but there was just too much tread flex in those, it made the truck feel like the tires were underinflated, I had those replaced after a week, luckily Toyo offers a 500 mile "test drive". Maybe next time I'll try BFG's, they seem to be everyone's go-to tire.

That makes sense since even though the tire is large, it's still considered somewhat low profile compared to others. Couple that with the 12 ply and it's a recipe for a stiff ride.

The BFG's tend to get noisy once they get past 50% tread. And BFG has had issues with the KO2's and premature wear (under 30k miles). They are now on their 2nd or 3rd version of the tire to help counteract the treadwear issue. Unfortunately, with that size, there aren't a ton of options out there, but when you're getting close to needing new tires, I'd be happy to walk through some other options if you'd like.

Deltarat

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Toya ATs, I have been running them for years on several different trucks and have never had a single issue.

HowardRC

Reaction score
All highway and heavy loads - Michelin LTX AT M+S
Not sure if they have a 35" in your rim size
Most will say "they dont look aggressive enough" - but you said highway and towing use!
:cool:
Quiet, smooth riding, and incredible tread life
I agree with you 100% for highway and towing use. I have 42K miles on the set that came with my super duty and they still look brand new.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% for highway and towing use. I have 42K miles on the set that came with my super duty and they still look brand new.
I think @Outlaw Boat Transport turned me on to them, they are a bad ass tire. They have great grip on the boat ramp when wet too. They definitely dont look "beefy" but I love the tread life and how quiet they are

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I guess results may vary?
I had them and hated them.
Way too much sidewall flex for my tastes.
Tried various pressures, rebalancing, rotating, etc.
Borderline scary.

X2. No more nitto terra grappler for me. The toyo mt on my f250 are loud. Going with something else next go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Cooper Tires are a favorite of mine for ride quality, tread life and no noise.

A good friend is a cooper guy. I had cooper at3’s on a wrangler that were louder than super swamper boggers......on the wife’s Q7 It got 10,000 miles out of the pirelli scorpions so went to a cooper srx 275/45r20. Great tire so far! Had it out in the snow last night.

I think i’m going with cooper st max all terrain on my truck next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I just got a new set on my truck. Went Kumho all terrain. Nice ride, quite good tread not too aggressive. I do allot of highway driving and towing on street and dirt. 50,000 warranty and not too expensive.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Most will say "they dont look aggressive enough" - but you said highway and towing use!
i got 85000 out of a set on suburban and 65000 on my chevy hd

BajaMike

Reaction score

I agree. Michelin are the best. Bought a set at America’s Tire in Austin, had a foreign object blowout in Palm Desert, gave the local America’s Tire my phone number, they replaced it for free.
As Big said, quiet, smooth, tread life! Not agresive looking but the absolute best tire.

RichL

Reaction score
I literally ordered a new set of the TA All Terrains yesterday afternoon to replace these Michelins on my Ram. 30,000 mi. and I struggle to keep it straight with a little bit of snow on the roads. The TA's have been my go-to for more years than I can count si I'm going back to them. Dunno.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Nittos suck. Had terra grapplers and dura Grapplers breaking belts between 2 trucks and nittos customer service sucks. Took 2 months and a lawyer threat to get my tires replaced that were part of a recall.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Currently on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on a diesel truck and they are fine but time to replace. Just highway driving and occasional heavy towing. Stick with these or considering Toyo AT III all terrains??? Any other options i should be looking at that are good with heavy loads
The Toyo AT3's, RT's, or E rated Ridge Grapplers. The General ATX is a good choice also. Know a few guys running them that are really happy with them.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of Hankook Dynapro ATM/AT2. I put them on my F250 almost 4 years ago/40k miles (almost all towing), they still look new. Super quiet, and great grip on the launch ramp.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Had nittos, wasn't impressed. Went toyo MT loved them for a mud tire. I was going to go the new AT3, but apparently they are so new wasn't easy to get and was going to take time. So I went Toyo open country RT. I really like them so far.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm don't really want to read through all the opinions at this moment, but, if you truly don't need much j off road traction or what not, I'd strongly suggest a HT tire. Slightly more aggressive than a street tire but have incredible wear ratings. I just put a set of Falken Wild Peak HT's on the wife's Escalade and they are super quiet and have a 70k mile warranty. My dad had pretty good luck with his Nitto Dura Grapplers too

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I switched from BFGs to Falken Wildpeak AT3's. I don't know if they come in a heavy duty load range though. Long lasting, quiet and look good. I think they are from Thailand though.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Me and my brother got toyos last year. The discount I went to past week to replace the POS toyos said they have been having a lot of people with toyos come in with issues and having to send them back. They lasted 33k wore funny. Checked my brothers and they wearing the same as mine. I went nitto this time.

Attachments

• C4AB375D-4119-44E8-9C03-975E72F74359.jpeg
    C4AB375D-4119-44E8-9C03-975E72F74359.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 36C8421C-ABB8-4B38-A82C-0F3F59B11DCE.jpeg
    36C8421C-ABB8-4B38-A82C-0F3F59B11DCE.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 73

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd set of E rated Toyos. Got just shy of 50k out of the first 2 sets.

My truck weighs just shy of 8k empty.

The BFG's didn't last more than 30k.

Mainly towing my toy hauler around.

petie6464

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of Hankook Dynapro ATM/AT2. I put them on my F250 almost 4 years ago/40k miles (almost all towing), they still look new. Super quiet, and great grip on the launch ramp.

Most my Ranch neighbors use these on a mix of hwy. and county roads towing horses, equipment etc. and swear by them, they get used hard.

I think most here are more posing than function, not that the Hankook's aren't a good looking tire but city guys want something that says off-road while sitting in traffic on the 405.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have the Michelin LTX on all 3 work trucks. Not sure if they make a 35 though.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's for the Super Duty. Same tire my son runs on his SD.
I've heard the Toyo AT3's rubber compound is different then the AT2's and they're not lasting as long so I thought I'd try the Coopers.
Had the Nitto's on a previous truck and the wet/snow traction was terrible. Living up here in N Idaho makes that a deal breaker.

petie6464

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's for the Super Duty. Same tire my son runs on his SD.
I've heard the Toyo AT3's rubber compound is different then the AT2's and they're not lasting as long so I thought I'd try the Coopers.
Had the Nitto's on a previous truck and the wet/snow traction was terrible. Living up here in N Idaho makes that a deal breaker.

Hope you have better luck. I tried those two years ago, only got 36k out of them. I think the AZ roads offer a true hell on tires. I put down a lot of miles and have tried about every tire I thought had a chance, so far only Continental and Firestone have given any impressive mileage.

Currently with a set of Firestone XT's, the ride good and no noise, very good on dry county roads. Haven't had them in the rain or snow as it hasn't rained or snowed here in over a year!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Hope you have better luck. I tried those two years ago, only got 36k out of them. I think the AZ roads offer a true hell on tires. I put down a lot of miles and have tried about every tire I thought had a chance, so far only Continental and Firestone have given any impressive mileage.

Currently with a set of Firestone XT's, the ride good and no noise, very good on dry county roads. Haven't had them in the rain or snow as it hasn't rained or snowed here in over a year!

With as little as I drive the truck, 36k miles will be about 5-6 years! 😆 My son has had them about a year now and they still look new. He's pretty happy with them. I hope I have the same experience.

The last 2 years I've put 11k miles on it and that includes a trip to So Cal and another to Boise. I pretty much use it for road trips (which aren't very often), towing to the lake (2 miles each way), and running to my daughters house to play with my horse. Otherwise it just sits and looks pretty in the drive. LOL

95Enforcer

Reaction score
I have been a BFG fan for a long time and now officially on my last set. The A/t’s don't last like they used too. Last set I got over 70k out of them on my Excursion with the old tread pattern. New ones have 42k and are a little over 3 years old and are looking pretty thin. Was checking everything over this morning for our river trip to the havasu house after Christmas and noticed some new cracks. Started looking closer and all of the tires have tread cap separation. Going to the Falken Wildpeak AT3 next week when they come in. They have been great on my wifes suburban. Im slowly losing faith in BFG at this point. Look really good and ride good but just not what they used to be.
13AA1862-87DC-4039-BF72-574FA4670F27.jpeg
178E3493-9849-4555-AB67-AB7691A733D0.jpeg

petie6464

Reaction score
With as little as I drive the truck, 36k miles will be about 5-6 years! 😆 My son has had them about a year now and they still look new. He's pretty happy with them. I hope I have the same experience.

The last 2 years I've put 11k miles on it and that includes a trip to So Cal and another to Boise. I pretty much use it for road trips (which aren't very often), towing to the lake (2 miles each way), and running to my daughters house to play with my horse. Otherwise it just sits and looks pretty in the drive. LOL

As a poser they should serve you well.🤣

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Going with the Michelin pilot sport 4S 285/35ZR19 on the vee in the next couple of weeks.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I will bad mouth Toyo tires until they put me in the ground!!

Had two pairs of 37s "dry rot" out from under me.
I will spare you the details.
But I'll NEVER buy their shit again.

I bought some cheap Milestones and could not be happier.

WYRD

Reaction score
I went with the attached Kenda Klever R/T over the Toyo atlll. Originally wanted the nitto ridge grapplers because that's what I put on my wife's Grand Cherokee. There was a backorder on them and I needed tires ASAP so I went with the kenda. They were a little knobby at first but after about a thousand miles they settled in nice. Currently have about 10,000 mi on them and I like them a lot. They're worth a look. Made in the USA too I believe.

Attachments

• kenda_kr601_spec_sheet_single.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
Last edited: