WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time To Boycott Nike

dryhoze1

Reaction score
E59A9B71-BF5F-48E8-A20B-7D577AA01E20.jpeg

MillerTime

Reaction score
If this is for real, we aren't gonna buy anything nike! (I assume our kids have something nike, i personally dont except a 20+ year old gym bag)
Crap, ill have wifey get American flags to put over the nike logo or something!
Thats bs!!

Singleton

Reaction score
Shit, I needed new work out shows. Will not be buying Nike’s.
This really pisses me off. I have not seen 1 positive thing this guy has done to help his cause. Even the money he donated, went to groups that are more hate based then positive impact based!

jet496

Reaction score
Now, I can't say I'm smarter than Nike since they're a multi-miilion dollar company & I'm just a small businessman but this can't be a good move. They must feed into the media that the majority of our population are libbies. Not so.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I haven't worn their crap in close to 20 years, and this is another reason I stand by my decision.

My company ordered Polo's for us with the Nike emblem on the sleeve and I politely said no thank you, I don't need one. Not even for free.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I've worn their tennis shoes, golf shoes, and golf shirts, but I'm done withe them. I don't get it frankly. Is not like you're going to all of the sudden have a bunch of people that didn't used to buy Nikes buy them because of this. More likely, you'll have a bunch of people like us that'll stop buying their shoes.

If Nike was really concerned about social issues, their shoes wouldn't be made in sweatshops across Asia.

Tank

Reaction score
I really don't understand why they'd touch CK. They instantly upset a large customer base. I realize there's a vast majority of peopel that don't care and there's most likely a large group of their clientele that will love this ad but in the end, I see no win in doing an ad campaign with him when it's GAURANTEED to piss off a lot of people. Just trying to get "any coverage is good coverage" points?

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
I've worn their tennis shoes, golf shoes, and golf shirts, but I'm done withe them. I don't get it frankly. Is not like you're going to all of the sudden have a bunch of people that didn't used to buy Nikes buy them because of this. More likely, you'll have a bunch of people like us that'll stop buying their shoes.

If Nike was really concerned about social issues, their shoes wouldn't be made in sweatshops across Asia.
Exactly. When I learned decades ago that they basically used slave labor I stopped buying their overhyped, overpriced crap.

squeezer

Reaction score
Now, I can't say I'm smarter than Nike since they're a multi-miilion dollar company & I'm just a small businessman but this can't be a good move. They must feed into the media that the majority of our population are libbies. Not so.

$36.4B of revenue in FY18 is a bit more than a "Multi Million Dollar Company".

But yea they are really going to suffer by losing the business of old white guys who haven't bought anything from them in 20 years...

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I haven't bought their crap in years. Thought the only place that sold their shoes anymore was the swap meet.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Nike, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Endorse Colin Kaepernick on Same Day

Tank

Reaction score

But yea they are really going to suffer by losing the business of old white guys who haven't bought anything from them in 20 years...
That's what they said when people started boycotting the NFL...Billions lost later, they're still trying to fix this mess.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score

I own 6 Nike pairs of tennis shoes, 3 golf shirts, and one pair of golf shoes. I also own a pair of Converse, 3 Hurley shirts, and 2 trunks (they're Nike owned). I'll wear the stuff I have, but I won't buy their stuff from now on. If they lose a bunch of people like me, they'll feel it.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
I buy Puma. They make a lot of stuff for racing & have Red Bull, bmw & Ferrari racing lines. I can support that.

They have a 30% off sale right now online too.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I buy Puma. They make a lot of stuff for racing & have Red Bull, bmw & Ferrari racing lines. I can support that.

On the golf course, I'll stick with FootJoys from now on. They are owned by Acushnet, who also owns Titleist. Titleist dropped Paul Casey after he made anti American comments following a Ryder Cup.

Efff Nike, and this has nothing to do with CK's race to me. If they made Jerry Brown the face of their "Just Do It" campaign, I'd do the same thing.

playdeep

Reaction score

Agreed...Love Pumas.
And they last forever, they're pretty much indestructible.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I won’t throw away any Nike gear I have, but I won’t buy any more.

All I have is Nike stuff...it is alli I have ever purchased, it just fits me better than any other brand.

Well shit.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Nyjah huston's fans dont give s shit. He will have one of nikes top selling shoe, again

Kids buying these dont even know who kappershit is, or care

If you dont know who huston is go ahead and google it and his net worth..you might be shocked

DLC

Reaction score
Ok I’m NOT a name brand guy, well unless I owned a Schadia, but after the dropping of the NRA by yeti and the whole NFL kneeling and the chargers moving to LA... now NIkE .... I’m like done deal dude..... C- ya....

And I won’t be back!

Thank god !!!
Coors Light hasn’t messed up!

RodnJen

Reaction score
I really don't understand why they'd touch CK. They instantly upset a large customer base. I realize there's a vast majority of peopel that don't care and there's most likely a large group of their clientele that will love this ad but in the end, I see no win in doing an ad campaign with him when it's GAURANTEED to piss off a lot of people. Just trying to get "any coverage is good coverage" points?
I think you are on the right path with this. I agree, the vast majority don’t care. However, I think the fringe left that are excited and will support the cause. The fringe right will withdraw their limitited support, leaving the overwhelming majority with free Nike advertizing in the form of the press, left and right leaning.

So basically unless you own a performance boat or wear Birkenstocks, nobody really cares. :D

squeezer

Reaction score
That's what they said when people started boycotting the NFL...Billions lost later, they're still trying to fix this mess.

Nikes target demographic is very different than the NFL's target demographic.

In the new alignment, the company will drive growth by deeply serving consumers in 12 key cities, across 10 key countries: New York, London, Shanghai, Beijing, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, Mexico City, Barcelona, Seoul, and Milan. These key cities and countries are expected to represent over 80 percent of Nike’s projected growth through 2020.

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-consumer-direct-offense

I have $100K or so in Nike stock that started out as $20K in the early 2000's... Have no intention of selling it just yet. ;-)

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
The sweatshop hating liberals are so confused right now. Liberals must love this campaign but hate Nike for using child labor.
I on the other hand am not confused and will not ever buy Nike again.

Xring01

Reaction score
What I don’t understand?

How does kneeling during the anthem show defiance to police brutality?
Police do not protect us from foriegn enemy's, or attack our enemys abroad?

The National anthem in my opinion has nothing to do with our police force.

Its about our military, and our country as a whole. so not respecting the anthem, equals not respecting our military or our country.

At least thats my opinion,
Just a guy who spent 8 years in the Navy.

I believe the constitution gives protesters the right to protest, but i also believe those who dont agree with a protest or protestor, has the right to not endorse or spend $$$ on venues that support it that protest..

And that is not being a racists.. i would call it being an AMERICAN.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have a feeling like a marketing guy is shutting bricks about now.

DLC

Reaction score
What I don’t understand?

How does kneeling during the anthem show defiance to police brutality?
Police do not protect us from foriegn enemy's, or attack our enemys abroad?

The National anthem in my opinion has nothing to do with our police force.

Its about our military, and our country as a whole. so not respecting the anthem, equals not respecting our military or our country.

At least thats my opinion,
Just a guy who spent 8 years in the Navy.

I believe the constitution gives protesters the right to protest, but i also believe those who dont agree with a protest or protestor, has the right to not endorse or spend $$$ on venues that support it that protest..

And that is not being a racists.. i would call it being an AMERICAN.

It’s just the place & time that gets the most attention and will get more people talking... but every one is talking about what DB kneeling POS NFL players that are F***ing with with our military and not what they want to protest....

If they really wanted to bring attention to their cause then they should do it off season during their free time, not at the work place! Most of these people are making bank all due to the NFL.... the NFL made a choice and I made mine to turn them off! We used to have season tickets!

No More

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Most likely they have been paying Colon K. since 2011.

Tank

Reaction score
I think you are on the right path with this. I agree, the vast majority don’t care. However, I think the fringe left that are excited and will support the cause. The fringe right will withdraw their limitited support, leaving the overwhelming majority with free Nike advertizing in the form of the press, left and right leaning.

So basically unless you own a performance boat or wear Birkenstocks, nobody really cares. :D

LOl.

Your analysis calls for some HUGE speculation and generalizations. My only point is why would Nike even bother getting involved with this crap? I see no win out of it. It's playing with fire and why bother? As squeeze pointed out, they're a multi billion dollar company and saw what happened with the NFL losing money over this topic. I would just think they'd be more cautious. Most people that sit in board of directors seats don't like negative press and REALLY don't like to lose money. But then again, like I said above, "any press is good press" right?

I obviously have my thoughts on it and don't agree with supporting that dipshit but completely removing my personal opinion on the matter and viewing it strictly from a business stance, I just don't get it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Nike's gonna sell a lot of knee pads this year

Eff Nike and their "swoosh"

Tank

Reaction score
Nikes target demographic is very different than the NFL's target demographic.

In the new alignment, the company will drive growth by deeply serving consumers in 12 key cities, across 10 key countries: New York, London, Shanghai, Beijing, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, Mexico City, Barcelona, Seoul, and Milan. These key cities and countries are expected to represent over 80 percent of Nike’s projected growth through 2020.

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-consumer-direct-offense

I have $100K or so in Nike stock that started out as $20K in the early 2000's... Have no intention of selling it just yet. ;-)

I wouldn't recommend selling off stock exactly. But I would recommend paying attention to what happened with the NFL cash flow and the loss of it at the boycotts over this topic.

To sit back (as a stock holder) and say things to the affect, "But yea they are really going to suffer by losing the business of old white guys who haven't bought anything from them in 20 years" shows a naiveté and an arrogance that is dangerous as proven with what happened to the NFL. If I was a sock holder, I'd be writing some emails asking why the fuck would they purposefully involve themselves in such a divided topic that will absolutely alienate clients?! And for what reason? Ads are meant to sell product. Controversy can sell product at times and at other times it can destroy product. Why even bother putting yourself in that position? Why divide your clientele? Foolish thinks me.

Also very foolish to put the one person into an ad that created all the NFL strife and is in an active multi million dollar lawsuit with the NFL when you're (Nike) a HUGE sponsor of the NFL! I'm betting there's going to be some behind the doors yelling matches between the NFL and Nike.

Whatever, I won't watch NFL and I will now go out of my way to ensure I don't purchase Nike products where before I never paid any mind. Buy my kids Nike's all the time, probably clothes too. No more. Gotta stand for something right Nike? LOL

Last edited:

squeezer

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend selling off stock exactly. But I would recommend paying attention to what happened with the NFL cash flow and the loss of it at the boycotts over this topic.

To sit back (as a stock holder) and say things to the affect, "But yea they are really going to suffer by losing the business of old white guys who haven't bought anything from them in 20 years" shows a naiveté and an arrogance that is dangerous as proven with what happened to the NFL. If I was a sock holder, I'd be writing some emails asking why the fuck would they purposefully involve themselves in such a divided topic that will absolutely alienate clients?! And for what reason? Ads are meant to sell product. Controversy can sell product at times and at other times it can destroy product. Why even bother putting yourself in that position? Why divide your clientele? Foolish thinks me.

I defer back to the target demographic...

This move increases sales and shareholder value for a ton of reasons the least of which is not the fact that CK is not ( In spite of what Trump insists) protesting or disrespecting the flag or the military any more than Rosa Parks was protesting the bus.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Every Nike golf ball I find gets tossed in front of the groundskeepers mower.
Haven't used anything Nike in years.

Magic34

Reaction score

It's bold... The thing about the decision is that it is a divisive one. I don't believe that the demo they are targeting with this campaign is going to purchase more than what they may lose with the decision.

I'm going to reach out to my UA contact and see what they are saying.

Reactions: SJP

Tank

Reaction score

This move increases sales and shareholder value for a ton of reasons the least of which is not the fact that CK is not ( In spite of what Trump insists) protesting or disrespecting the flag or the military any more than Rosa Parks was protesting the bus.

I get they're targeting mostly liberal cities and areas. But again, to sit back with the attitude, "meh, we're a billion dollar company, fuck those demographics that wont like the ad"....That's already been proven not to work. I guess time will tell.

Has zero to do with Trump by the way, except for all CK supporters that jumped on the band wagon because they dislike Trump. Hat to say it though, people were already pissed off and protesting Kapernick even before Trump got involved.

Doesn't have to do with disrespecting the flag or military eh? So if I come over to your front door and piss on it every day in protest of the day the trash gets picked up are you going to say, "it's not about disrespecting my house, it's about the trash not getting picked up on this day...." And to further that, if a very large group of individuals including the military are offended then guess what, it's about that now. Ever heard the term, perception is reality. I don't know, maybe dipshit should change his tactic, get more people to rally to his cause, reach out to people that can actually make some change in the area's he sees lacking. But you're absolutely right. For CK it's not about disrespecting the military or the flag or this country, it's about his hatred and blind bias for the police. he doesn't want change, he wants to pout and kick and cry like a child having a tantrum. But that doesn't mean that his actions to protest aren't disrespectful to the military and our country. why can't people see that. The means don't justify the end.

Last edited:

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score

Politics aside, as a Nike shareholder, you like this move for them? Your honest to goodness bleeding hearts still won't buy Nikes because of their manufacturing practices.

As far as Rosa Parks goes, she didn't protest during work.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree about whether this was a smart move by Nike or not, but Nike will not be getting any of my money anymore. I've beaten this horse to death, lol...