WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time to give the old girl some lovin’

Toolman

Reaction score
This is the first machine my wife and I purchased back in 1997. It’s 1993 6030 Fadal and we paid 100 K for it and paid it off in five years and it wasn’t easy. This is the machine that I do the V- drive parts on, and large tooling projects. The backlash settings in the Y axis are getting to be rather large, and the spindle cartridge is starting to make little whiny sounds. So we decided to tear it apart and go through it and fix anything that’s worn. The repair parts will include new solid motor mounts, new belts, new high and low gear shift actuators, new spindle cartridge, and Y axis thrust bearings. The X axis thrust bearings are fine. All 3 ballscrews are fine. The Turcite is fine. The Y axis has to move twice the weight that being both the table and the saddle hence it takes a toll on the thrust bearings. The spindal motor and all 3 servos are original. Now she’ll last another 10 years or more.
828D61C6-C447-4B46-BFEC-6B30A841F02A.jpeg
91EAA71C-2633-4D8B-A21E-FBBAFF1EBCB7.jpeg
524053B8-B662-4749-AD54-B3757AE4D6E6.jpeg
969BB1AA-A84D-47A8-AEBE-EA14597EC225.jpeg
44F66042-1C36-4B68-B810-85DE2F005416.jpeg
8DEFDA5A-CB0A-4F92-9162-E0EEBCE191EF.jpeg
73DBA61D-B512-40D4-AA1F-017D8232DE30.jpeg

Last edited:

ltbaney1

Reaction score
thats awesome. i know alot of people just scrapping out machines, its refreshing to see someone put the time in to bring one back.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm a pretty good "tinkerer"...I mean, I'm pretty good at figuring out how things come apart, and go back together, and have a fair amount of tools and such. Are there any super weird, specialty type tools needed to repair or replace the mechanical/hardware portion of machines like these? I have seen some that needed repair for cheap, sometimes near free. I don't know how to program CNC type things, but it seems like it could be setup as a really nice power feed/ DRO mill for basic stuff.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I'm a pretty good "tinkerer"...I mean, I'm pretty good at figuring out how things come apart, and go back together, and have a fair amount of tools and such. Are there any super weird, specialty type tools needed to repair or replace the mechanical/hardware portion of machines like these? I have seen some that needed repair for cheap, sometimes near free. I don't know how to program CNC type things, but it seems like it could be setup as a really nice power feed/ DRO mill for basic stuff.

Aside from the spindle itself the rest of the machine is straight forward mechanically.

Electronically is a different story, servo's and the controllers cannot just be used as powerfeed and DRO, they don't work like that. They required the closed loop feedback of the encoders and computer processing to hit target speed and position, They are very advanced AC brushless motors on special controllers (old ones DC motors). They are essentially robotics, Nothing in common with a powerfeed you would see on a manual machine.

Dana757

Reaction score
a lot of times the electronics are now obsolete. I scrapped a mill but parted out the Bandit control.