WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time to give up thoses "double ski's" (Mavericks surf)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Why the hell would he have snow ski poles in his hands? Pretty dumb...

Would be pretty cool to see a guy on a single doing that.

bocco

Reaction score
Must start behind a jet ski and then hit wave? Wonder if those a different from standard double skis?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Must start behind a jet ski and then hit wave? Wonder if those a different from standard double skis?
Thats how they all start for those monster waves. The waves move too fast to be able to reliably paddle and catch them.

2Driver

Reaction score
Why the hell would he have snow ski poles in his hands? Pretty dumb...

Would be pretty cool to see a guy on a single doing that.

Couldn’t image going over the falls with a set of poles looped to my wrists.

bocco

Reaction score
I've been to Mavericks beach when it was so calm you couldn't imagine any waves at all.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think the poles are awesome! The guys riding goddam water skis on a wave. It’s supposed to be funny. Wasn’t trying to look cool lol
Probably not too funny if he wiped out and that pole made a new orifice in him.

If he just ditched the poles, it would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Despite what most think that was great and funny as hell. Could he impailed himself? Sure that would have only made the video better.

oldschool

Reaction score
I think the poles are awesome! The guys riding goddam water skis on a wave. It’s supposed to be funny. Wasn’t trying to look cool lol
Fuck ya that’s awesome! Only thing better was Renner doing it on a dirt bike.

rrrr

Reaction score
Look like you hafta wear big boy britches when Mavericks is roaring.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Hard to imagine what you go through if one of those waves crashes down on you. Where is Mavericks again? It’s way off shore correct?

cakemoto

Reaction score
Hard to imagine what you go through if one of those waves crashes down on you. Where is Mavericks again? It’s way off shore correct?
Half moon bay ... believe it’s just out side the jetty.

wet hull

Reaction score
Half moon bay ... believe it’s just out side the jetty.
Yep. And when its flat you get to see from the cliff just how dangerous the rocks and other terrain are. One of heaviest waves in the world. Amazing these guys can even float with a life vest on due to the size of their brass balls!!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
That is bad ass. I wanna try it cuz I can think I can do it. But I don’t know anything about surfing so it would not be prudent.

plus Mavericks is treacherous. Too dangerous.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
You're thinking of Cortes bank off the CA coast....that's super gnarly when it breaks as well. The ocean floor comes up from something like 1000 feet to 6 feet. I've never seen it break in person (been out there fishing) but I'd like to......

Taboma

Reaction score
Hell, I think it would be damned thrilling be the jet ski operators flirting with those giants, no way I'd be on a board.
I used to screw around with some large offshore breaks in my 13' zodiac years ago, what a thrill. Then one day one swell in front of me, blocked me from seeing the really big set following. :oops:
When I cleared the crest of the first one, I damn near shit my suit at the wall of water in front of me. Nothing to do but twist the throttle and hang on for the race for the top to blow through the curl before the giant eats you. 🥵
When I cleared it, I looked like that infamous Donzi pic, except there was the red RIB, me suspended in the air several feet above it, my hand with a death grip on the throttle. Funny how awesome that momentary weightlessness feels, right up until gravity prevails and reality comes crashing back. 😖

So horrifying was it, that if I recall I think I only did it three or four more times before learning my lesson and calling it quits for the day 😂

Can't imagine staring down something like I'm seeing at Mavericks :eek:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I never tire of watching these monsters.... takes a special breed of dude to get into one of these beast... can't say the chicks have taken this on yet.

Mavericks is basically a fly into San Jose and drive west an hour to Half Moon Bay and then apprx 4 miles north. These here are from Jaws in HI recently.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I have paddled out in 15' surf at swamis. When i was much younger
Didnt catch one wave. Never tried.
You cant feel the violence in a video.
Its incredibly frightening in the water

Ive rode jet skis in 20' in Mexico. That scared me but still did it.

Mavericks is a entire different level. Cold. Sharks. Massive rocks. No beach.
While jaws is bigger you can get pushed in a long long ways until the surf is manageable
Mavericks your in the rocks after 3 waves push you.

To this day the scariest place ive been is 8-10 blacks and 6-8 at suck outs. Thats the left at cardiff reef.

Now 3ft is perfect, on a beach break so i can touch bottom