WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time to Plane 27 Ultra Shadow

4czn10

Reaction score
Calling all 27 shadow owners...i know this is a loaded question, and every boat is different, but ever since i put a different power and drive package on my shadow, it seems to struggle to get on plane. How long (Time to get on plane) is everyone seeing, if you ease into the power, (to save the drive 3200-3400rpm)????? Please include your current power/drive info and approx time to roll over...Here is my current set up:

525 whipple - 750 hp ?
IMCO sc standard length lower 1.34 Gears
28 B1 prop
up to 20 seconds to roll over

I have no idea if this is normal/good/bad? I know i would get my answer this weekend, at the regatta, but i can't make it this year.

Thanks everyone!

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Calling all 27 shadow owners...i know this is a loaded question, and every boat is different, but ever since i put a different power and drive package on my shadow, it seems to struggle to get on plane. How long (Time to get on plane) is everyone seeing, if you ease into the power, (to save the drive 3200-3400rpm)????? Please include your current power/drive info and approx time to roll over...Here is my current set up:

525 whipple - 750 hp ?
28 B1 prop

I have no idea if this is normal/good/bad? I know i would get my answer this weekend, at the regatta, but i can't make it this year.

Thanks everyone!

What was in it before?

Boatracer36

Reaction score
I dont have an ultra but 20 seconds to get on plane is extremely long. Sounds like you need to give it more throttle.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you should switch to a five blade or something else if it's taking that long.. Something is wrong with the setup. 20 seconds is way to long, should be like 5-10

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you should switch to a five blade or something else if it's taking that long.. Something is wrong with the setup. 20 seconds is way to long, should be like 5-10

Go ahead and switch to a 5 blade , and report back when your outdrive grenades itself ...

Singleton

Reaction score
Go ahead and switch to a 5 blade , and report back when your outdrive grenades itself ...

Shippingguy (Mike) runs a 5 without issues behind a Teague 825. Not sure what gears he has, but you might want to give it more gas to get on plane then pull back. I have never timed mine, but I am very light on the throttle.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

If the slip rates are that high getting on plane something needs to change to decrease them.. That is one of many options.

another1sl

Reaction score
I have a 26 shadow. With a pfaff 1100 on high boost. We are running very low boost now never seen over 5 psi. 565 cu inch I would guess similar power to yours at this boost. I think it's a 28 prop as well. Couldn't tell you about the gears or internal drive parts. It's 5-7 seconds with a loaded boat.

another1sl

Reaction score
I should add that I run it up to 4000 rpm when planning. It cavitates the prop at that rpm and seams to help it get out, with obviously less stress on the drive. I am way over powered for my drive so I do what I can to save it.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

525 whipple - 750 hp ?
28 B1 prop

Thanks everyone!

My Lavey deck with Teague 825 would take 10-15 seconds. I would also roll it over slowly not going over 4000rpm to save the drive. Mine was propped for mid range and top end also with a 5 blade Maximus. I believe if you were to add some tunnel tabs your boat would plane out easier and quicker also.

Singleton

Reaction score
My Lavey deck with Teague 825 would take 10-15 seconds. I would also roll it over slowly not going over 4000rpm to save the drive. Mine was propped for mid range and top end also with a 5 blade Maximus. I believe if you were to add some tunnel tabs your boat would plane out easier and quicker also.

Sponson tabs will reduce time to plane as well. I run those on my 26 ShadowDeck and the bow lift is reduced when the tabs are down when getting up and going

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Shippingguy (Mike) runs a 5 without issues behind a Teague 825. Not sure what gears he has, but you might want to give it more gas to get on plane then pull back. I have never timed mine, but I am very light on the throttle.

I don't run a 5 blade. I run a stock 32P Bravo, but I did just have Cutting Edge work it some. I smal do going to test one of their labbed 5 blades this weekend. I also in cooler weather run a Merc Labbed 34P 4 blade. I have 1:50 gears. I also run the large cab plate on my drive which makes a huge difference.

HBCraig

Reaction score
A buddy has a 26' Daytona with about 800 HP. He has 1.34 gears and runs a 24P. It hauls the mail and planes quickly.

Singleton

Reaction score
I don't run a 5 blade. I run a stock 32P Bravo, but I did just have Cutting Edge work it some. I smal do going to test one of their labbed 5 blades this weekend. I also in cooler weather run a Merc Labbed 34P 4 blade. I have 1:50 gears. I also run the large cab plate on my drive which makes a huge difference.

Thought you had PX5 but it has been 10 seasons. I just started running my cutting edge 5 blade and love it.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score

525 whipple - 750 hp ?
28 B1 prop

Thanks everyone!

I have a 2007, 27 Shadow with a Teague 800. I have 1:50 gears. I had the Teague Platinum XR on it and I ran that with no issues for 8 seasons(165 hours). I lost the upper gear set and now run the Max Machine Worx MXS-1 Billet Shifter Drive. I run a stock 32P Bravo 4 blade in summer and in cooler months a Merc Labbed 34P 4 blade. I ease into the throttle to roll over and plane. I could probably go alittle harder, but choose not to. Boat rolls over around 4000rpm. What you need to do is contact Teague or MMW and have them make you(they may have in stock) the oversized cab plate. Teague did a lot of testing with my boat when it was built and that is one thing he added and it made a big difference. I will be out at the regatta this weekend if you want to look at my set up.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Don't have a shadow but I have a Howard 26 cat with 850hp 31 p5x 1.50 gears. I'm very easy on my drive getting on plain. I never go over 3200 rpm's getting on plain but I would guess it takes between 5-10 seconds. A trick I learned is when you are getting on plain to turn the steering wheel to the left slightly then back right. This slips the prop a little and helps you get on plain.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I should add that I run it up to 4000 rpm when planning. It cavitates the prop at that rpm and seams to help it get out, with obviously less stress on the drive. I am way over powered for my drive so I do what I can to save it.

My 25 Daytona would do exactly this when it was over propped. I went down a prop size and the boat planes WAY faster and from what I can tell in the little I've used it is actually faster top end as it will carry a bit more RPM.

Deano

Reaction score
I have a 27 pitch P5X that you need.
See classifieds.

Deano

Reaction score

I suggested he run a larger cavitation plate on OSO and the guy at BBlades said it's just a band aid and not a solution. I still think he needs one and a five blade.

robby dmax

Reaction score

525 whipple - 750 hp ?
28 B1 prop

Thanks everyone!

Are you sure it is a standard lower and not a 1 or 2 inch shorty?? Is it a stock merc prop or is it been labbed?
I have a 25 Daytona same motor with a shorty lower and it takes longer to roll over then it did with old motor and a standard lower.

4czn10

Reaction score
Are you sure it is a standard lower and not a 1 or 2 inch shorty?? Is it a stock merc prop or is it been labbed?
I have a 25 Daytona same motor with a shorty lower and it takes longer to roll over then it did with old motor and a standard lower.
Deffinately Standard length...i traded a -1 for the standard. the prop is stock...

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
The OP didn't say if he was blowing the prop away, or if it's not and lugging the engine. Knowing what happens at different throttle openings and RPM's would help.

Sponson tabs, as mentioned earlier, help a lot with bow rise getting on plane.

4czn10

Reaction score
I suggested he run a larger cavitation plate on OSO and the guy at BBlades said it's just a band aid and not a solution. I still think he needs one and a five blade.
i did go to MMW and they sent me a Hybrid plate that made it worse, so he's sending another plate...i did try a cutting edge 5 blade and (with the hybrid plate) it was worse...maybe with the new drive plate it will work...???

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
i did go to MMW and they sent me a Hybrid plate that made it worse, so he's sending another plate...i did try a cutting edge 5 blade and (with the hybrid plate) it was worse...maybe with the new drive plate it will work...???

That makes no sense! You sure you are just not spinning too big a prop? Did you go same size pitch on the 5 blade as your 4 blade or drop down? A 5 blade alone should of helped. I think you need to look at your set up. Like previously mentioned are you sure this is a standard length drive and not a shorty? When Teague put a Merc 30 pitch Maximus 5 blade on mine the boat rolled right over at like 3000-3200rpm.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my plate. I know of 4 other 27's with the same plate. They all out them on after I got mine and loved the performance. Sorry the pic is dark but you can zoom in.

Image1465862878.601520.jpg

Deano

Reaction score
Post pictures of your drive and the prop shaft height in relation to the bottom of the boat,

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
If it comes down to it your best bet is to run a 1/2 inch or 1 inch spacer and that will cure your planing, but you will have to adjust the prop size to pull the RPM you want and need.

575cat

Reaction score
Put a SCX drive on it & a maximus prop this way you can have it all . You are on borrowed time on that regular bravo stuff anyways .

conquestdeck

Reaction score
How much hp are you running and how many hours on the drive, I have the Scx upper with a sc lower and now I'm worried.

conquestdeck

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions I thought the Scx was good to 1300. Guess not what type of boat does he have, is he catching air that's seem pretty catastrophic. Was the upper trashed also.

Thanks Jorge

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions I thought the Scx was good to 1300. Guess not what type of boat does he have, is he catching air that's seem pretty catastrophic. Was the upper trashed also.

Thanks Jorge

28 SCS Howard cat. We asked if the casting in the lower was bad they said no. We ask if they would help out on a new lower they said no. No he was doing 35-40 mph after just getting on plain. Our buddy behind him said he just saw parts flying up out the water.

conquestdeck

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks I have dealt with them in the past they hide behind the (high performance) clause. Sorry for the highjack.

Always Floored

Reaction score
Got rid of the boat, but when I had it, it took 12 seconds to roll over. 496ho with 26p. I got a plate from maxed machine works, said it kept the prop loaded, it made difference.

Demoman

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my plate. I know of 4 other 27's with the same plate. They all out them on after I got mine and loved the performance. Sorry the pic is dark but you can zoom in.

View attachment 491275

I ran the same cav plate on my 27. Boat had 850HP, 1.50 gears, and spun a stock 32. The cav plate from MMW made a huge difference. Good luck!

4czn10

Reaction score
Post pictures of your drive and the prop shaft height in relation to the bottom of the boat,

setup1.jpg setup2.jpg setup3.jpg Here are some pic's i have right now. with the 5 blade and that drive plate, i could barely get on plane. i think that was a cutting edge 28. i'll post more pic's soon

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
i think that is the plate MMW is going to send this time.

Yeah the bigger plate WORKS! I think you may be running too big a prop! I know my boat liked a 29-30 pitch 5 blade and I run 1:50 gears. Can you get the boat once on plane up in the RPM's?

Singleton

Reaction score
Yeah the bigger plate WORKS! I think you may be running too big a prop! I know my boat liked a 29-30 pitch 5 blade and I run 1:50 gears. Can you get the boat once on plane up in the RPM's?

Wonder what that plate would do to my sled

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

He is. He's 1.35 and 28 pitch with less power then you.

Marine Industries West

Reaction score
Built two Ultras, one 27 and one 26 deck. Supposedly they have the same bottom. The 26 already had the X dim cut, don't remember the exact measurement from the keel, but when I set up the 27, I went 1" higher on the X. The 27 was set up with a Merc XR drive, I also installed sponson tabs. That boat jumped on plane. Absolutely no lag time. 1.50 gears, Labbed 28 Four blade bravo prop. Boat ran up to 4900-5k on RPM's (roughly 73-75 MPH). The boat pulled hard thru the mid range and was very responsive. I had driven other Ultra deck boats with way more power and they were not as responsive as this 27 Shadow with 550 HP.

When I rigged the 26 Deck, it got a GT Perf 650 HP engine with an Imco SC drive. The drive had a 2" shorter lower. I installed a 1" spacer which would bring it to the same prop shaft centerline as the 27 we had just rigged. The 26 was also equipped with my sponson tabs. The 26 couldn't get out of its own way. Literally had to baby the throttle to get it rolled over without blowing the prop away. Once the boat got on plane, it hauled the mail and was very responsive. It ran north of 80 in our initial testing. In an effort to correct the bottom end I changed out the spacer to a 2" spacer and went back to the lake. It made very little difference. Then I tried multiple props with very little difference. We put a Merc XR lower on it with no spacer and it was greatly improved. It sacrificed a good amount of top end now that the drive was hanging so far down compared to the Imco, but it was determined that the SC lower unit not having an integrated cavitation plate really made a big difference in the wrong direction on that boat.

My guess is that with that plate you're going to install you'll see a big improvement. Adding tabs would give you alot of benefits including that take-off lag.

Attachments

• 060-LR.jpg
    060-LR.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 124