WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tinnitus

rrrr

Reaction score
This shit is getting real. It sounds like I have a forest in my skull that's populated by cicadas.

I've worn hearing protection religiously my entire life. I've worked as a pipe fitter, installed and tested hundreds of 2mW gensets, fired handguns, rifles, and shot guns, and spent years around IndyCar engines. Cereal bowl tracks like Richmond are so noisy I would wear both ear plugs and a radio headset.

Is there a way to make this shit go away other then drinking heavily?

Last edited:

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately no... One of the few things that the medical world has not spent much time on. My brother and a few close friends have it and it sucks. I’m sure I get it at some point.

This shit is getting real. It sounds like I have a forest in my skull that's populated by cicadas.

I've worn hearing protection religiously my entire life. I've worked as a pipe fitter, installed and tested hundreds of 2mW gensets, shot guns, and spent years around IndyCar engines. Cereal bowl tracks like Richmond are so noisy I would wear both ear plugs and a radio headset.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have had mixed luck with the exercise/stretches with rotating head and neck, rocking on side to bed. More for me when I get the head spinning too, and sometimes it makes the ringing go away for a short time. If sleeping gets to be an issue, I sometimes have to have the radio on low, for noise other than my own head. The thing I've learned from moving out to the sticks is sometimes the silence can be deafening.

gqchris

Reaction score
Me too. I just started noticing as I was reading this!

rrrr

Reaction score
It's aggravating because I thought I was conscious of the issue and protected my ears whenever possible. I guess it started at an early age. My dad owned a commercial and industrial sheet metal Fab shop, and it was always noisy. I worked on the drop side of a Wysong 10-10 shear. The blade was 10' long, and could cut 10ga cold rolled steel. I fished out the cuts, and separated the drops and put 'em back in the material rack.

I've heard there is a medication that really helps. I hope it drops into my lap. I am impatient, and don't want to have to hassle with this for a long time.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was never good about hearing protection. Loud stereos, cars...firearms. Power hammers building cars, compressors and spray rigs on job sites too. If it really seemed to be a recent thing, give it a couple weeks. It can change with blood pressure, allergies and also stress. I am 42, and dealt with it for the past few years. As for impatience, I'm the same. Push through it and keep rolling. Sensory adaptation is a weird thing. After a bit, you only notice it when you ask yourself why you don't hear it. Goofy, but I'm not the only one who has thought that.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’ve worked on freeways since 1989. Freeways are pretty loud.
My wife, maybe 2-3 years ago, started mentioning about ears ringing. I’m like really...I’ve been singing in my ears for 20 plus years.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Had it for many years. It is just background noise now that I've become accustomed to it. I do have to have some sort of white noise in the bedroom to go to sleep though. o_O

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Have you been seen? Some times things can be done. I have also heard people have acupuncture done on the ear that helps.

checkrd past

Reaction score

I've worn hearing protection religiously my entire life. I've worked as a pipe fitter, installed and tested hundreds of 2mW gensets, fired handguns, rifles, and shot guns, and spent years around IndyCar engines. Cereal bowl tracks like Richmond are so noisy I would wear both ear plugs and a radio headset.

I've had it for 10 plus years , some good days some bad.(louder or quieter) over time you get used to it

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Ive got it bad also for many years now. Good ear cleaning at the doctors helps a little for awhile then it comes back. Blood pressure causes it also and the meds you take for it.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Had it for over 20 years. Concert at the Troubadour in Los Angeles did me in. Drinking actually makes it worst (for me anyway). Gotten used to it I guess, but when it’s perfectly quiet it does bother me that I can’t have perfect silence.

jbird

Reaction score

This video popped up on my YouTube last week. Doubt it works for all if any but might be worth a try. This guy has other video on tinnitus.

jet496

Reaction score
I blew my right ear out in the military and hear about 6 different sounds. It's like I'm in a hearing testing booth at all times.

Oddly it doesn't bother me other than I can't hear for shit. I have to live with it so I just ignore it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Had it for over 20 years. Concert at the Troubadour in Los Angeles did me in. Drinking actually makes it worst (for me anyway). Gotten used to it I guess, but when it’s perfectly quiet it does bother me that I can’t have perfect silence.
Yes, forgot about those days in my 20's...working barricade at concerts. When you're standing in front of speakers, it doesn't matter if it's Travis Tritt or Snoop Dog, that shit is loud. A lot of things I could have changed, but it sounds like sometimes it may not have made a difference.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I went to a lot of super loud rock concerts back in the day. Now I have what sounds like high-pitched white noise in my ears. Sometimes I don't have it or at least hear it, other times it's quite noticeable. It's annoying at times but I've grown accustomed to it.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Ive got it bad also for many years now. Good ear cleaning at the doctors helps a little for awhile then it comes back. Blood pressure causes it also and the meds you take for it.

Correct,The Statins + Aspiren definitely aggravates Tinnitus

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
1C86FCB4-0530-44E9-8564-B009268C55A7.jpeg

My wife takes this stuff. Also goes to an ENT religiously and gets neck massages. I know your pain. It sucks!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
rrrr,trust there is no medical cure.10 years for me.You are strong mentally,you can learn to ignore the ringing for minutes that will turn into hours when you discover a thought process that suits you.Look into what is available,beware of scam

Last edited:

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Well,i can say there is no medical cure,but i will sure as hell try FLAVONOID.Thanks

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Well,i can say there is no medical cure,but i will sure as hell try FLAVONOID.Thanks

Good luck! My wife’s case was terrible and tube TVs were her kryptonite. She actually had her tonsils removed last summer (age 32) and that’s been the biggest help. She’s stopped taking flavonoid and hasn’t complained since.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

I've got it too. From years of working in a factories with overhead conveyor systems and SMT machines. A high pitch ringing at about 15kHz and it's just part of life now. I have to be careful about the environment I am in. I monitor the't be around SMT frequency ranges of the ambient noise and the sound pressure level.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

Dalton

Reaction score
once a week my ear will just start ringing out of no where, thinking its tinnitus. just had a hearing test for work and supposedly I have "severe loss", idk about that as I dont think its that bad. ive heard hearing loss likened to stomping on grass, and sooner or later the grass stops standing back.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
If it just suddenly showed up, it might not be from noise exposure. Worth a trip to the doctor, could be an infection or allergies, anything that irritates the hairs in your inner ear.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I have it bad.
At the truck stops you may see the Asian massage concessions.
I ask if they do ear cleaning. Half the time they do. They scrape the remaining compost heaps in the corners of your melon.
Helps a lot.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Add me to the list. I fired guns as a kid and hearing protection wasn't really a thing back then.

I found out when they had me do hearing tests in school , once the frequency became high enough it blended in with the ringing and I sat in that room a while knowing I was missing some upper tones.

I can usually tune it out but as some have already said once you think about it then you really notice it. Having conversations with background noise becomes difficult at times.

Now days I really watch out when I go to concerts and racing events I bring ear plugs so if it’s too loud I can protect myself.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Have it, been through all types of doctors and testing and at the end of the day there isn’t anything that can be done. My solution is a huge fan in the bedroom. During the day I can deal with it because of the other noises but at night it’s a bitch.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I have it bad.
At the truck stops you may see the Asian massage concessions.
I ask if they do ear cleaning. Half the time they do. They scrape the remaining compost heaps in the corners of your melon.
Helps a lot.

With those short skirts the last thing I would be thing about is ringing in the ears.

BajaMike

Reaction score

It’s often caused by a concussion. Had any kind of head injury? I’d see a neurologist and maybe he would do an MRI or CT Scan?

RichL

Reaction score
I've had it for as long as I can remember and have learned to ignore it most of the time. Oddly enough they're ringing pretty good as I sit here typing away.

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
I've had it for years, yet l've found great relief with those eucalyptus sticks you can buy for better nasal breathing ;). Mind you doing a Trade as a Boilermaker in my younger years didn't help much either.:rolleyes:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It’s often caused by a concussion. Had any kind of head injury? I’d see a neurologist and maybe he would do an MRI or CT Scan?
Never heard that...probably doesn't help that I've had a few of those as well. Wife always tells me I have some sort of brain damage...

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Lol, your wife and mine need to compare notes.

Havafewinsider

Reaction score

Have you checked your blood pressure? Could be a secondary symptom to High Blood pressure

Joe mama

Reaction score
I’ve had it for 2 years now. I had some tingling in the left side of my face so doctor had me go I for an MRI with contrast. Well shortly after
I started hearing the white noise. Don’t always notice it but literally start hearing it after I think about it. Just reading the title of this
Thread caused me to notice it. I’ve read some stuff about the contrast causing this to come on. So beware!

rrrr

Reaction score
]
Have you checked your blood pressure? Could be a secondary symptom to High Blood pressure

My blood pressure is just about the only thing that works correctly. In spite of being overweight and not being mobile, it's always been about 120/70.

The tinnitus has been going on for a few years, and I ignore it most of the time. It just seems like lately it's getting worse.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and descriptions of your own issues with it.

4Waters

Reaction score
]

My blood pressure is just about the only thing that works correctly. In spite of being overweight and not being mobile, it's always been about 120/70.

The tinnitus has been going on for a few years, and I ignore it most of the time. It just seems like lately it's getting worse.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and descriptions of your own issues with it.
If you try any of these things update the thread with what worked and what didn't. I don't have an issue yet but I'm sure I will.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

Ear buds while falling asleep helps some. Wife gets mad thinking I'm trying to tune her out. What sound do you hear? This website lists several, I have the 7500Hz version. https://www.soundrelief.com/tinnitus/sounds-tinnitus/

MohavValley

Reaction score
I believe they do have some kind of meds for it, try googling for medications.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
The 7500 Hz noise is a match for what I hear.
If you find something that works, let me know. I tried Castor Oil and it seemed like I was just going to have an ear full of oil.

lebel409

Reaction score
I have it, I've always been pretty good about ear plugs at bars, concerts, shooting, power tools etc. My dad is damn near deaf, and I'm a musician, so hearing is pretty important to me.

I have "noise" always, but 99% of the time it's not really bothersome. On occaision I get a bolt of sound, sometimes it even startles me with the loudness and suddeness, but it decrescendos back to the background noise in a few minutes.

I guess mine is a very minor case, no real bother. I'm told that it can go from extremely annoying to debilitating, even suicidal.

I've also heard there are therapies. For one they play a tape of music and every once in a while an important part drops out. Your brain wants to hear the part, and the ear searches for the missing pieces....and kinda trains the ear to listen, rather than just send crap signals...at least that's the theory.

Best of luck and find what works for you.