WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tire Cables for the snow

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
You know there are mountains in California, right? As a matter of fact, the highest mountain in the continental US right? I know it’s fun to bash Californians, and I agree that the worst thing about California is the Californians, but a little credit is due to us that grew up in the mountains, and can drive in the snow. Dick[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately there are a lot of Dumbfucks in California that don't know how to drive in the snow.

CA's highest level of chain control is 4wd with chains on all 4 tires. However they never go to that level, and close the highway instead. The last couple of heavy winters it seems like they closed Interstate 80 at least once a week...like everytime it snowed. LOL. I asked the CalTrans guy why. He said too many accidents, and too much liability because people don't know how to drive.

Years ago, it had to be an actual blizzard before they would close the interstate.

Sent From Tapatalk

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I think there are two different types of snow conditions being discussed here. For the states that get snow and stay cold all the time, you really don't need chains or cables because you don't have that much ice on the road. Snow actually provides decent traction, which is why the snowflake tires work.

For the SoCal mountains, it can snow all night, then the Sun comes out and melts some, then it gets a layer of black ice in the late afternoon or evening. I've witnessed this firsthand many times, no amount of snowflakes on your tire are going to help when the road is covered in a thin layer of ice beneath any snow that might have fallen.

I've been in Mammoth and slowly slid through an intersection with all four wheels locked up, not much you can do except flash your lights and hold on. I've also been rear-ended by a high dollar Range Rover in Big Bear because the guy thought he was invincible with four wheel drive and snow tires.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Amen Brother!

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Wow, this thread went sideways, then came back around lol. The place we are headed too in Utah they get a lot of ice on the back roads, lots shadows, and a steep road to the cabin so Im thinking cables at least for the rear, and maybe little less air pressure as well. Been in alot of snow over the years in the rockies, snow is easy, ice sucks ass and I kind of like this truck and plan on keeping it for awhile.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Never a bad idea to have chains or cables as backup, better to never need them and have them vs needing them and not ever having to use them.....

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Never a bad idea to have chains or cables as backup, better to never need them and have them vs needing them and not ever having to use them.....
It's the law to carry them here.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I thought you mountain folk didn’t need to hang iron? Or is that picture a photo shop? 😂
LOL just saw this. It's not a photo shop. My area wasn't plowed for a couple of days so I decided to be safe than sorry. Plus if I chain the front I can steer out of the way of someone sliding at me.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
LOL just saw this. It's not a photo shop. My area wasn't plowed for a couple of days so I decided to be safe than sorry. Plus if I chain the front I can steer out of the way of someone sliding at me.
I was just messing with you anyway. I got caught up in those messes a couple winters ago or was that last winter I don’t remember they all seem to run together 24 hour shut down or almost, stuck between Weed and Ashland Hill in Oregon were shut down so I couldn’t go anywhere.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Look up SCC Cables. They come in a nice little bag with tensioners. Super easy to put on (but practice in your garage first). I have them for all our vehicles up by Lake Arrowhead. In the years I've been living up here I think I've only had to put cables on my yukon once or twice by the CHP. They usually close the road rather than impose R3 conditions.

In California the chains aren't for traction, primarily, it's to force drivers to go slower which is the real goal of CalTrans and the CHP.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are a lot of Dumbfucks in California that don't know how to drive in the snow.

CA's highest level of chain control is 4wd with chains on all 4 tires. However they never go to that level, and close the highway instead. The last couple of heavy winters it seems like they closed Interstate 80 at least once a week...like everytime it snowed. LOL. I asked the CalTrans guy why. He said too many accidents, and too much liability because people don't know how to drive.

Years ago, it had to be an actual blizzard before they would close the interstate.

Sent From Tapatalk

Here is why we are seeing more R3 (chains on 4WD).

We have about 10 times the number of AWD/FWD vehciles on the roads up here, 80 specifically, as we did before those cars hit the markets. 90% of the people driving them have no clue what they are doing, they assume AWD/4wd makes them invincible with their "rated" tires. This, in turn, has pushed the accident rate through the roof over the pass. These are the folks that only push the AWD button 3 or 4 times a year.
It is not unusual to see these people doing 55-65 on the hill, oblivious to the world, up until you find them upside down in a snowbank. Once the car is in the bank the plows can't run til it is removed, and the whole mess begins to get worse. You get the guy in his AWD sedan from the bay area and his cool rated tires doing 65 up the pull from Truckee to the Summit with a sheet of ice under his wheels, and then the lady in her SUV with 3 screaming kids who has the bald AT's and clicks the T-case in 4H at the same time and you are going to have a disaster.

CHP and Caltrans have to work with their basis being the lowest common denominator driver, I know you have seen them. Scott; LOL. The same people who brought about the need for stickers on Blow dryers "that say do not use in shower, do not submerge".
More cars on the road, less experienced drivers who are less attentive who believe the TV commercials about the vehicles they are in.
I could tell you stories that would have your gut splliting from laughing so hard .
Mostly Flatlanders, but the occasional person from out of state who isn't familiar with Sierra Cement, and learns the hard way.
The locals do better, usually.
We ran studded mud and snow tires on the sedans we had during the season, we tried to keep the 4WD's as primary, but we had the sedans too.
Ya ain't lived til you roll code in a sedan with studded tires. Pucker factor rises considerably.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Here is why we are seeing more R3 (chains on 4WD).

We have about 10 times the number of AWD/FWD vehciles on the roads up here, 80 specifically, as we did before those cars hit the markets. 90% of the people driving them have no clue what they are doing, they assume AWD/4wd makes them invincible with their "rated" tires. This, in turn, has pushed the accident rate through the roof over the pass. These are the folks that only push the AWD button 3 or 4 times a year.
It is not unusual to see these people doing 55-65 on the hill, oblivious to the world, up until you find them upside down in a snowbank. Once the car is in the bank the plows can't run til it is removed, and the whole mess begins to get worse. You get the guy in his AWD sedan from the bay area and his cool rated tires doing 65 up the pull from Truckee to the Summit with a sheet of ice under his wheels, and then the lady in her SUV with 3 screaming kids who has the bald AT's and clicks the T-case in 4H at the same time and you are going to have a disaster.

CHP and Caltrans have to work with their basis being the lowest common denominator driver, I know you have seen them. Scott; LOL. The same people who brought about the need for stickers on Blow dryers "that say do not use in shower, do not submerge".
More cars on the road, less experienced drivers who are less attentive who believe the TV commercials about the vehicles they are in.
I could tell you stories that would have your gut splliting from laughing so hard .
Mostly Flatlanders, but the occasional person from out of state who isn't familiar with Sierra Cement, and learns the hard way.
The locals do better, usually.
We ran studded mud and snow tires on the sedans we had during the season, we tried to keep the 4WD's as primary, but we had the sedans too.
Ya ain't lived til you roll code in a sedan with studded tires. Pucker factor rises considerably.
This meme sums it UP. LOL.

I know what you mean. When I was in high school, my buddy and it drove a Ford LTD from Auburn to South Lake Tahoe in the Snow for a concert at Harrah's, and back to Auburn after the concert ( for those that dint know what an LTD is, it was a 2 door, rear wheel drive boat of a car. Picture of an LTD below.).

People don't live like that anymore.

Screenshot_20200928-161226_Facebook.jpg
20201127_190847.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
You guys should see the idiots in action when it snows in Dallas. What's really fun is when freezing rain falls for a few hours.

This being Texas, there are lots of lifted 4WD trucks. And if you drive a lifted 4WD truck, why, what better time to use it than when the roads are iced over?

Unfortunately, these drivers are apparently unaware of how traction works. The result? Driving on the freeways you see a lot of lifted 4WD trucks in the ditch or mated with an immovable object like a bridge support. The mayhem is added to by the legions of young male professionals that have seen those commercials of Lexus and Infiniti SUVs just like theirs blasting through deep snow. They don't understand the difference between snow and ice, and are confused when their vehicle is sliding off the road toward a tree.

So while I'm crawling along at 25 MPH in my 4WD Excursion, I have lots of opportunities to laugh at F150s with 35s passing me, because I know I'll see them in the ditch in a few minutes.

Body shops love it when Icemageddon hits. :p 😁

dave29

Reaction score
So I have a 2018 GMC Denali 2500Hd and Im wondering what the RDP consensus is on tire cables for snow? The owners manual says specifically no tire chains, so cables are the only real option. Truck is 4wd but has the factory 20" tire/wheel combo so tires are pretty street oriented. I will be in Utah for a few days over the holidays and want to be prepared just in case?
I live in Colorado at 6500' and have a Ram 3500 4X4 with stock tires. I don't own chains. Your tires are probably rated M&S so you don't need chains.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I was up in Big Bear a couple of weeks ago when it was snowing and saw a guy with a 4x4 using this type of a anti skid solution. He had one on each front tire. Appeared to be much simpler than chains and provided some extra traction/piece of mind. Not sure what the cops would think of this solution combined with 4wd at the chain control check point. Tire chains are such a pain in the ass I avoid them at all cost.

Search “anti skid” on Amazon. Read reviews and see what you think.

CA2C62EA-1456-4E7B-AAD5-7B9CDC18AAFA.png

relaxalot

Reaction score
Tires are key.. mud type tires are not good in snow. You need siping in your tires.. get tires that are good in snow and you will very rarely if ever need chains. It is a good idea to carry them.. the road to big bear is a shitshow and it is best to just not go there in bad traffic days. Utah is great and it hard to find chains used on 4wd trucks there.. weight in the back is key.. sand bags in the back of the bed are a good idea. Maybe 200 lbs.. get the sand tubes not the bags.. good for traction if you ever need to cut them open. Chains are better but cables are fine because they will likely never be installed.

Attachments

• 5F420124-8C6B-4803-BA25-DBB3E18E6D93.jpeg
    5F420124-8C6B-4803-BA25-DBB3E18E6D93.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 40