WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tire Cables for the snow

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
So I have a 2018 GMC Denali 2500Hd and Im wondering what the RDP consensus is on tire cables for snow? The owners manual says specifically no tire chains, so cables are the only real option. Truck is 4wd but has the factory 20" tire/wheel combo so tires are pretty street oriented. I will be in Utah for a few days over the holidays and want to be prepared just in case?

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
DOUBLE CHECK the size and put them on the day you buy them to make sure they fit. NORMALLY NO RETURNS on chains. BUT I think if you are back in the store within an hour or so - you might be able to make it happen for an exchange.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Cables are way better much easier to put on ,,,,, at night,,,,,,in the freezing snow,,,,,,,,on the side of a damn road. And like LHC Kirby said. Make sure they fit before ya need em !

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I DESTROYED a set of cables in Yosemite years ago. Duramax 2500, cables would come loose every 5 miles or so, and beat the crap out of the inner fender.

Overpaid for a set of real chains in the Village and didn't have any other issues.

Baja Pete

Reaction score
I cannot help you on the cables, I have always used chains. If you have the stock tires, they suck in the snow. Put extra weight in the back of your truck (if it is empty), that will help some.

River Runnin

Reaction score
If they have a Les Schwab anywhere around you, go have a pro fit! If Not get the cables and EXTRA tensioners!
I always ran stubbed snow tires around (on my 4X4's) and never needed chains! ;) ... 30 plus years

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So I have a 2018 GMC Denali 2500Hd and Im wondering what the RDP consensus is on tire cables for snow? The owners manual says specifically no tire chains, so cables are the only real option. Truck is 4wd but has the factory 20" tire/wheel combo so tires are pretty street oriented. I will be in Utah for a few days over the holidays and want to be prepared just in case?

I'm gonna guess an 18 is gonna have skid control, anti lock brakes, and all that jazz?

I'd vote don't worry about it if you have 4 wheel drive. Drive slow and be safe.

RCDave

Reaction score
Never had a problem with a quality pair of.cable chains. Tight installation with rubber tensioners is key. And watch top speed. 35 tops

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Either way test fit. I've run cobra cables that worked well. As others said chains more better. Roads will most likely be plowed anyways. 4wd and good driving.

sintax

Reaction score
I'm in the chains camp as well, but they HAVE to fit right, and watch the tight turns if you have oversized tires. I think the only reason why they say no chains is because they dont want you ripping your fender wells apart (brake lines / abs) if you dont install them right, or they are the wrong size or come loose.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess an 18 is gonna have skid control, anti lock brakes, and all that jazz?

I'd vote don't worry about it if you have 4 wheel drive. Drive slow and be safe.

Unfortunately, a lot of areas in the Mountains require chains when it’s snowing hard. Regardless of 4WD or not. They may make ya do it even with snow tires AND 4WD. Better to have and not need.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a lot of areas in the Mountains require chains when it’s snowing hard. Regardless of 4WD or not. They may make ya do it even with snow tires AND 4WD. Better to have and not need.

You are correct. Last time I got stopped at a tire chain check point, I told him I had 4w drive and i was ok with driving in the snow. The CHP waved me on.

(I did have chains in my truck though, just in case they were gonna be dicks) ;)

Now that you make me think about it...

I still have those chains in my garage. I snow skied all over for years. They have never once been installed! Huge waste of money for me.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
You are correct. Last time I got stopped at a tire chain check point, I told him I had 4w drive and i was ok with driving in the snow. The CHP waved me on.

(I did have chains in my truck though, just in case they were gonna be dicks) ;)

Now that you make me think about it...

I still have those chains in my garage. I snow skied all over for years. They have never once been installed! Huge waste of money for me.

Yea. I’ve had it both ways . Even with the “snow” rated tires. Fuckers still made my ass put the chains on. I seriously think it’s all about if they have been laid recently or not. LOL.

Backlash

Reaction score
Grew up in Wyoming and we rarely used cables or chains on any of our trucks. All were 4WD with decent tires. We literally drove in the snow for 7 months out of the year and after 6 years, our family only had one minor accident due to weather. Bent a fender sliding into a parked vehicle.

I moved to CA in the early 90's and one day, had a job interview up in the mountains. CHP stopped me at a chain station when I still had Wyoming plates on my truck. I rolled my window down as I drove up to the CHP officer. He looked down at my plate, the tires and smiled. "Go ahead." 😁

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
There saying we won’t get that muck snow 🤣🤣🤣

X Hoser

Reaction score
If you have clearance buy the chains, not cables. Cables tend to never stay on. If your tires have the M&S on the sidewall and they are in good shape you probably won't have to put them on unless they are getting ALOT of snow. You will need to carry them though. If you need more traction just let a little air out of the tires at a time until you feel ok driving. Drive slow and like you have no brakes and you'll be fine. ;)

buck35

Reaction score
There's no better feeling than being behind a vehicle with CA plates in the snow.
No shit..got my licence in 75 at 16 and it dumped a few weeks later and I found myself in the ditch, never done that again and have not bought studded tires either. Go slow, stop slow in snow not really rocket science here.

welldigger00

Reaction score
There's no better feeling than being behind a vehicle with CA plates in the snow.

You know there are mountains in California, right? As a matter of fact, the highest mountain in the continental US right? I know it’s fun to bash Californians, and I agree that the worst thing about California is the Californians, but a little credit is due to us that grew up in the mountains, and can drive in the snow. Dick[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

endobear

Reaction score
Half decent tires and awd? You will be fine.
I would say slow down. But really. Momentum is going to be your friend...
As long as you don't have to stop or turn.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
You know there are mountains in California, right? As a matter of fact, the highest mountain in the continental US right? I know it’s fun to bash Californians, and I agree that the worst thing about California is the Californians, but a little credit is due to us that grew up in the mountains, and can drive in the snow. Dick[emoji16]

Send me a picture of you and your Prius on top of Mount Whitney and I'll apologize.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Send me a picture of you and your Prius on top of Mount Whitney and I'll apologize.

60822534528__7A4EFBB9-4819-4CE8-B59F-E3D2380D0334.JPG
this was near the top of Whitney. Pretty close. My driveway

BajaMike

Reaction score

i agree 100%. No cables or chains needed with 4WD. I’ve been going to Park City and/or Vail every winter for 20 years, no 4WD, its not California, in the Rockies almost no one uses chains.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Might want to watch your mouth fella... Welldigger00 and I both grew up in the same mountain community. We have both seen and delt with the complete "fucktardary" of the flatlanders for all of our lives. We have a combined experience of 85 years plus what our parents taught us. Neither of us would ever be caught dead in a fucking Prius.

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Might want to watch your mouth fella... Welldigger00 and I both grew up in the same mountain community. We have both seen and delt with the complete "fucktardary" of the flatlanders for all of our lives. We have a combined experience of 85 years plus what our parents thought us. Neither of us would ever be caught dead in a fucking Prius.

What color is your Subaru?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
i agree 100%. No cables or chains needed with 4WD. I’ve been going to Park City and/or Vail every winter for 20 years, no 4WD, its not California, in the Rockies almost no one uses chains.
Yeah... But the snow is like cocaine. It's not thick like the west coast mountains get

welldigger00

Reaction score
Might want to watch your mouth fella... Welldigger00 and I both grew up in the same mountain community. We have both seen and delt with the complete "fucktardary" of the flatlanders for all of our lives. We have a combined experience of 85 years plus what our parents thought us. Neither of us would ever be caught dead in a fucking Prius.

You gawd damn right Jed-o. Dudes running their yap.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Ok danger Dave. Pics of your prius the snow.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
BNAG!!!

Most people here in Ca, freak the fuck out if it rains! I can't imagine some OC family in the snow!!!
When I get home 5 minutes after dealing with the type you are talking about, I am sitting by the fire with a cocktail, and usually laughing my ass off at the complete idiocy. Even this holiday has been a shit load of stupid around here and it's only Wednesday.

GregG

Reaction score
Why are non of you talking about running studded snows. I run Hakas on my Excursion in the Winter here.

rrrr

Reaction score

I lived in Vail over two winters and owned a '76 regular cab GMC at the time. This was before construction of the Johnson Tunnel and the interstate realignment east of Vail pass.

The truck had street tires on it, and in winter I would put four 50 lb bags of sand in the bed. There were quite a few times I drove over Vail Pass during snow storms, and the CHP always waved me through chain inspection stations. I just didn't slow down much so they couldn't look closely. 😁

Driving on plowed highways without chains isn't that difficult if you keep it smooth and react slowly. Of course, this all goes out the window if some idiot that's going 60 MPH on packed snow panics and causes a crash.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I bought a $100 set of cables just to keep CHP happy. 4wd Sierra 1500. Last I looked, Caltrans will close a road before a 4wd truck needs to mount snow chains. I would stop at check points, shoot the breeze with the officer and keep on driving.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Smart mountain folk think alike..... another cummins and I hardly need my 4wd..... been driving in the snow since 12yrs old. We were brought up different here. Subarus are like the hipster Prius.

Attachments

• 943F91BE-0351-4BB9-B18C-2068378FBA80.jpeg
    943F91BE-0351-4BB9-B18C-2068378FBA80.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 85

yz450mm

Reaction score
I think there are two different types of snow conditions being discussed here. For the states that get snow and stay cold all the time, you really don't need chains or cables because you don't have that much ice on the road. Snow actually provides decent traction, which is why the snowflake tires work.

For the SoCal mountains, it can snow all night, then the Sun comes out and melts some, then it gets a layer of black ice in the late afternoon or evening. I've witnessed this firsthand many times, no amount of snowflakes on your tire are going to help when the road is covered in a thin layer of ice beneath any snow that might have fallen.

I've been in Mammoth and slowly slid through an intersection with all four wheels locked up, not much you can do except flash your lights and hold on. I've also been rear-ended by a high dollar Range Rover in Big Bear because the guy thought he was invincible with four wheel drive and snow tires.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

buck35

Reaction score
I think there are two different types of snow conditions being discussed here. For the states that get snow and stay cold all the time, you really don't need chains or cables because you don't have that much ice on the road. Snow actually provides decent traction, which is why the snowflake tires work.

For the SoCal mountains, it can snow all night, then the Sun comes out and melts some, then it gets a layer of black ice in the late afternoon or evening. I've witnessed this firsthand many times, no amount of snowflakes on your tire are going to help when the road is covered in a thin layer of ice beneath any snow that might have fallen.

I've been in Mammoth and slowly slid through an intersection with all four wheels locked up, not much you can do except flash your lights and hold on. I've also been rear-ended by a high dollar Range Rover in Big Bear because the guy thought he was invincible with four wheel drive and snow tires.

Spot on ,at @15 to 20 the snow has grip and is squeaky. Gets up near 30 and things get interesting in a hurry. 40 some winters so far and mountain passes in all directions.

gqchris

Reaction score

This is 100% dead on. I got stuck in Big Bear in that shit last month. I have 4wd.
Didnt make a damn difference. Was like an ice rink! At one point I slid down this dumb ass airbnb driveway. I was sure I was going over. Barely stopped in time. The owner called for a plow service. Well, he wasnt so lucky. Fuck the snow!

IMG_3517.JPG

Jimmyv

Reaction score

Yes, This!

It’s not the fact there is snow, it’s the temp and conditions in our SoCal mountains that’s the issues. Think slush in the sun, ice in the shadows. Sometimes it’s easier to drive around town in fresh powder before the plows run than after. Big Bear CHP can be very picky and I’ve been witness to lots of nice trucks/SUV’s get in over their heads in a hurry.

Our cabin is just above the Big Bear village and is a moderately steep street that unknowingly dead ends. I can sit on my front porch with a drink and watch vehicles slide off the road all winter.

We carry snow cables in every car we own (most have never been used) and even have a set for our toy hauler. Good quality cables, installed properly and most importantly, TENSIONERS.

Last edited: