WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tire chains for Desert Storm?

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Will be heading towards Havasu this coming Friday for vacation/DS. Woke up to 4-5" of snow this morning, more forecasted this week. I live about an hour west of Portland, OR.

Looking like my typical route to Havasu might not work this year. Usually go south to Shasta, cut off at McCloud, through Susanville, Reno, Las Vegas, etc. I might have to just go the CA route and stay on I-5 to avoid most of the snow and thus just cross the Siskiyous. Didn't want to be paying CA diesel prices but might have too. Taking tire chains in case. Will have to see what the weather does last minute. The truck and boat are going to need some TLC by the time I get to Havasu! This global warming is a pain, what a mess.

20220411_061421.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Going the CA route, you MAY still need chains in the Tehachapis. It doesn't snow that often there, but it does. So bring you chains.

Riverryder

Reaction score
towing the boat in the show? what a dam mess thats going to be.
shrink wrapped? cover? or just raw dawging it?(nothing)

Yoshiro

Reaction score
It's a mid cabin open bow Nordic. I have snap covers for the bow and cockpit. I've packed lots of cleaning supplies to bring. I'm figuring a day of cleaning the boat/truck when we arrive. Like someone said, first world problems.

Riverryder

Reaction score
nice! you have to show before and after pictures once you arrive! i towed mine in the rain once and it was not fun. snow is a whole other beast.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Bummer!!! Best of luck to you on the journey. 👍

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I admire the dedication. safe travels

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Right now Accu Weather is showing temps of 91 - 96 for April 20 - 24 and no indication of predicted winds. Seems too good to be true. Can only hope.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
TOTALLY FUCKED!

We had about 8” in Camas this morning before I left for a quick trip to Boise.

As far as route..... towing, it’s close to damn near a wash. When I tow I go right down I5. Lots of places to get help if shit hits the fan. Fill in Ashland, and can normally get by with just one fuel bill in CA.

We’re flying in Thursday, boats not ready (Thanks to Merc back ordered shit) so we’re going to be boat whores this year.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I have towed out of Reno to DS in a snow storm. It was crazy but we made it. We spent a day cleaning everything up since it was a surprise storm.

We got a covering over night here in Reno and we had crazy snow yesterday throughout the day.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Our Kids in Reno say the storm is brutal. Winds and snow.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
TOTALLY FUCKED!

We had about 8” in Camas this morning before I left for a quick trip to Boise.

As far as route..... towing, it’s close to damn near a wash. When I tow I go right down I5. Lots of places to get help if shit hits the fan. Fill in Ashland, and can normally get by with just one fuel bill in CA.

We’re flying in Thursday, boats not ready (Thanks to Merc back ordered shit) so we’re going to be boat whores this year.
I've got my backup Bravo drive installed because my primary drive has been waiting for upper gears since November. Mercury says ship date will be October...

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Update: Didn't have the chain up but 4WD was in use. Trailer tracked behind pretty well. This was going over the Siskiyous on the 16th. After the snow, hit rain all the way to southern CA, then hit a sand storm from Bekersfield to Havasu. So basically got tarred and feathered.

Attachments

• 20220416_045732.jpg
    20220416_045732.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 14

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Mammoth live cams were showing nothing but snow the other day. 👍🏼

Riverryder

Reaction score
saw that you posted about needing a tow at DS what happened?
did you ever get a before and after pic of boat after towing the distance?

Yoshiro

Reaction score
saw that you posted about needing a tow at DS what happened?
did you ever get a before and after pic of boat after towing the distance?
Unfortunately I lost a rod bearing. Engine had about 35 hours on it so we are working on figuring out the cause.

I took an after picture, but the boat still looked clean in the picture. It had an even dark grime over the boat and trailer. Cockpit and bow covers had that red lava rock residue on it from the sanded roads in the snowstorm.

Riverryder

Reaction score
sorry to here that man! hope you get it sorted out so you can still enjoy the summer.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Luckily a good friend that I was building an engine for just gifted it to me. So now I just need to do an install. Good thing as parts availability is terrible.