WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tire Guys.....got a question

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So this morning, after dropping off the boys for practice, I picked up a big ass nail in the back tire of my Fusion. It was a good leak because I drove about a mile and my tire pressure light came on, luckily I was across the street from the local Mtn View Tire, so drove over for them to fix it.

Well.....it isn't repairable as the nail is too big........ no big deal.....got the road hazard warranty so tell them to throw spare on and I will handle next week.

He then goes on to give me a whole song and dance about how Fusion lug nuts are bad and it will take him 20 mins to get them off and then they won't go back on......la la la..... so basically he tells me I need to buy a lug nut set and it would be around $50.......WTF?!!

I proceed to tell him that I religiously rotate my tires and my tire guy has NEVER had an issue or even mentioned this to me. Told him, it sounded like a them problem. Well after 10 minutes of back and forth telling him I am not buying lugnuts and just put my spare on, they finally agree.

This car is a 2017 with 52k milea. Take a look at the other lugs and look what they did to my lugs getting them off and on!!

So Tire guys, is this an actual issue with Fusion lugs or are they just idiots and use the wrong tools??
20210214_111236.jpg
20210214_111242.jpg
20210214_111315.jpg
20210214_111306.jpg
20210214_111330.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
It’s an issue. That’s an actual cover over the REAL metal of the lug nut. I have a 2017 Focus, same lug nuts. I rotate and remove wheels myself with a ratchet. Mine look like new still. Shops have zero time for a ratchet so you end up with busted nuts. Buy gorilla lug nuts. Problem solved.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
It’s an issue. That’s an actual cover over the REAL metal of the lug nut. I have a 2017 Focus, same lug nuts. I rotate and remove wheels myself with a ratchet. Mine look like new still. Shops have zero time for a ratchet so you end up with busted nuts. Buy gorilla lug nuts. Problem solved.
Gotcha. Guess my tire guy must do them by hand then since the other ones are still perfect after all these years.

BareFoot200

Reaction score
See it everyday. When the manufacture uses a stainless decorative head over a steel base, the heating and cooling of wheel will causing the stainless to expand and contract. Sometimes you get lucky and can beat a socket on to remove lugs. Worst case is you have to drill into tip of lug to rip stainless cover off the get to steel lug nut. Toyota, Dodge, Chrysler & Ford used this type of lug on several different models of vehicle. Change to a steel chrome plated or painted lug = no more swollen lug nuts covers.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It's against the law to go around with your nuts showing.
Oh,, sorry ,, wrong thread.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Gotcha. Guess my tire guy must do them by hand then since the other ones are still perfect after all these years.

Are those messed up lugs from this morning? Your other lugs look primo from the pic. Yeah, maybe wrong socket size as mentioned above. Should be 19mm.

it’s pretty ridiculous Ford put these lugs on millions of vehicles. Lugs should be the last thing a car owner should have to worry about. After reading the other thread here recently, I’m going to change my Focus lugs to Gorilla at next tire rotation.

infield

Reaction score
I think other thread says something about using .5 oversized sockets bought from the tool trucks to use. But maybe I dreamed that up.

4Waters

Reaction score
Who ever is having this problem it is not the lug nut, it's the operator. I've rotated these tires, Ford has rotated these tires and tire shops have rotated these tires, these are the original lug nuts.

20210214_122454.jpg
20210214_122450.jpg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Are those messed up lugs from this morning? Your other lugs look primo from the pic. Yeah, maybe wrong socket size as mentioned above. Should be 19mm.

it’s pretty ridiculous Ford put these lugs on millions of vehicles. Lugs should be the last thing a car owner should have to worry about. After reading the other thread here recently, I’m going to change my Focus lugs to Gorilla at next tire rotation.
Yup just happened this morning. First time MTN View has touched the car. Only others have been Ford Dealer and my tire guy.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Who ever is having this problem it is not the lug nut, it's the operator. I've rotated these tires, Ford has rotated these tires and tire shops have rotated these tires, these are the original lug nuts.

View attachment 972844 View attachment 972845
Yeah, that's what got me fired up. Only Ford and my small mom and pop tire shop has ever touched the car until this morning.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what got me fired up. Only Ford and my small mom and pop tire shop has ever touched the car until this morning.

I'm not using any special sockets

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Luck of the draw with tire shops sometimes.
I went to Discount this weekend for a nail repair where I purchased them and all they did(as I suspected) was try to sell me new tires. I flat out asked, "so you're telling me you won't repair the tire you sold me 10k miles ago "? No sir, I can't.
"Guess I can't do biz here" and walked out.
Called RD and got name of his local tire contact.
Done and out in 20minutes. TireMan on Industrial. Nick.🤘

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Okay the lug nuts aren't that good, but with the right size socket they've been okay, sounds like deliberate damage with the wrong socket after your discussion and refusal to buy his lug nuts. It probably isn't worth your time to deal with him, just get the better lugs in the near future and be done with it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Every car dealership I worked at, after 1990 or so, required all the techs to tighten lug nuts with a torque wrench to spec. It helps keep disc brake rotors from warping.

Tire shops? I doubt they know what a torque wrench is, much less how to use one.

Sorry Joe, you got hosed.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Using a worn socket and an impact does that. Using the correct size socket that is not worn and fits the nut correctly won't do that.

I would go buy some new one piece chrome lug nuts...because if anyone other than you touches the car, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when they will all look like that.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Every car dealership I worked at, after 1990 or so, required all the techs to tighten lug nuts with a torque wrench to spec. It helps keep disc brake rotors from warping.

Tire shops? I doubt they know what a torque wrench is, much less how to use one.

I didn't buy the lugs from them. Will buy from the small shop I have bought all my tires from since we moved here. All my other lugs are perfect. These guys were hacks.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Mountain view is shady as F. When I had a company car with fleet maintenance they tried to milk every little thing with out telling me a word.

Needs rear brake pads? tell the leasing company it needs calipers and rotors. Shady. NOBODY needs either when the pads are not metal to metal.

You now know, and It only cost you 5 lug nuts. Ebay??

Last edited:

redone76

Reaction score

I used the shit out of torque sticks....

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I used the shit out of torque sticks....
I love watching torque wrenches and sticks getting misused.

the torque wrenches are clicking with out moving 5 degrees, meaning the lug nut is already overtorqued.

Torque sticks? nobody seems to know you cant have your impact gun on full power to have them do their job.

speed kills, but who is willing to pay for high quality maintenance done right?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
100% Operator error. You saw it coming with the speech. Wrong 12 point or worn out fugle socket will do that every time.

They told you they were going to fuck you, and they did.
Yup and I called them on it. Told them their tools were the problem. I was in a bind and couldn't do anything. I left my floor jack in Havasu, otherwise would have just drove home, let it go flat and then put on the spare myself.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
They didn't even pull the rim or tire off.

Glass half full is I wasted an hour of my day, got my spare put on and now will take this to my tire shop and get a new tire for free.
20210214_182306.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I want to see the nail that is "too big" to repair.

Near the edge of the tire is one thing, but too big for a patch from the inside? news to me.

Actually there is a point where the steel belt is damaged enough to compromise the integrity of the tire. Personally I won't repair a tire with any damage from any puncture caused by 1/4" or larger, 10 penny nail approx. That's with a patch as well, I don't plug tires unless it's an emergency.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I went to Discount this weekend for a nail repair where I purchased them and all they did(as I suspected) was try to sell me new tires. I flat out asked, "so you're telling me you won't repair the tire you sold me 10k miles ago "? No sir, I can't.
TireMan 👍 Just bought 32 lug nuts from them last Sat. Great place

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thankfully America's Tire uses a torque wrench

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Tire repair is a tricky business...as the repair-er. There is a whole lot of liability if something goes wrong, and most times...it isn’t worth taking on that liability for a $50 repair. Damn near every type of tire injury is repairable properly using the appropriate materials and processes....most of which they don’t sell at Autozone. Finding someone to take on the liability is tough...and for good reason. Your injured tire is not their problem, it’s yours, and they don’t want to make it their problem for the tidy sum of $50.

nowski

Reaction score
They didn't even pull the rim or tire off.

Glass half full is I wasted an hour of my day, got my spare put on and now will take this to my tire shop and get a new tire for free. View attachment 972904

I personally would have pulled the car over, (safe place) taken the wheel off and put the spare on myself. This would have eliminated the middle man Mtn. View, saved you some valuable time and a headache.

If I noticed a bad lug in the process I would go online and order a full set of steel lugs, under $20 in many cases.

To take it a step farther: I would have made a U turn and drove it back to the practice field. When the kids are done with practice show them how to properly change a flat tire, win win situation lossed if you ask me...

Maestro

Reaction score
The shell is and only becomes an issue when the wrong size socket is used. That is when they become a nightmare.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I owned a freeway gas station for 15 years , full service . I think the most issues I ever had with people , and some almost came to physical threats , was over me not wanting to repair a tire I deemed un-repairable . I too , as has been stated above , do not want to incur someone else's liability over a tire failing .

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Got the tire replaced and no way it was going to be fixed.

I ran over a Co2 cartridge!! Crazy.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
When my boat was IN HAVASU I brought 2 tires home at a time so Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel could install them. They've always done right by our family. Replaced all 7 and cleaned up my rims while at it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
When my boat was IN HAVASU I brought 2 tires home at a time so Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel could install them. They've always done right by our family. Replaced all 7 and cleaned up my rims while at it.
Tucker Tire is the best! Wade lives out by me now in Murrieta.

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
there is sockets made just for these 18.5 - 19.5mm , 20.5 -21.5 mm, the ford cars require a 19.5mm socket and it will not damage the lug nuts. The guys at Mountain View should know it they have been outfor 10 plus years

riverroyal

Reaction score
Discount is horrible now
The havasu store is a joke. My story about them is to long for this thread
Then the discount by my house damaged a method wheel. THAT was a fucking nightmare dealing with all kinds of managers and customer service idiots

30 years or more of business, i wont go again

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Discount is horrible now
The havasu store is a joke. My story about them is to long for this thread
Then the discount by my house damaged a method wheel. THAT was a fucking nightmare dealing with all kinds of managers and customer service idiots

30 years or more of business, i wont go again
Fag