WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To All My Friends in California

old man on the lake

Reaction score
I am sorry you are surrounded by idiots.
I am sorry that liberals,unions and illegal immigrants ruin your beautiful state.
I am sorry that you will be forced to ask the rest of America to bail out your failed economy.
Try harder next time.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I'm sorry the (R) put up Meg Nutjob as there candidate...:swear

The (R) didn't have SOMEONE / ANYONE else they could have put up.????????? :bash:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Scott E

Reaction score

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
That is more indicative of the idiocy of the voters than anything the dumbass democrats did correct or the republicans did wrong. WhyTF would anyone vote a deceased candidate!?!?!? I'd vote one of the other lesser known candidates before I voted a deceased candidate.

Not everyone knew she passed away a week before the election. Yes voters are idiots...On both sides. :rolleyes:

Scott E

Reaction score
Yes voters are idiots...On both sides. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, I would still make my comment had it been a republican. Far too many voters use the TV ads they see and radio ads they hear as a basis for their vote. Far too many voters lack common sense when voting.

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
Sorry but you're wrong to blame the "voters". Sure people voted for the candidates and propositions but the blame goes to the power that the UNIONS have over this state, New York state (and other states).

Without the unions and their agendas do you really think Boxer would be re-elected? Do you really think that Brown would be elected to his 3rd term as governor?

Unions will become the biggest threat financially to this country (they've already become the biggest threat politically). Do some Google-ing and see what unions have spent endorsing candidates. Look at the issues involved with unions political donations. Think about how they use their members' dues as they see fit not giving their members any say in if or how that money should be used.

Unions are protecting their turf, their power and their PENSIONS. Did you know that California law requires union pensions to be paid first? All other bills get paid after that - if they can be paid. It's what's driven California to bankruptcy (even if the state can't legally declare BK it's still bankrupt).

Consider this: Pensions are not self-sustaining. Yet we continue to allow the unions to play their pension games. Do you understand how union members fatten up their pensions during their last year of employment? You may be aware of it because of the City of Bell scandal. That's typical of how pensions are fattened up by every union member who is about to retire (and move on to yet another union/political job and another pension).

The next battle must be with the power the unions hold over this country. This has to be stopped or the financial problems will continue to escalate.

PS: Do you remember what the unions did in Greece earlier this year because the government ruled it could not support pensions any longer?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
MMD..I can tell you don't know shit about all the unions. :blah: I have over 28 years in mine. My dad had over 63 in his. Maybe ask someone that is in a private union before you start googling, copy and pasteing. ;)

MMD

Reaction score
MMD..I can tell you don't know shit about all the unions. :blah: I have over 28 years in mine. My dad had over 63 in his. Maybe ask someone that is in a private union before you start googling, copy and pasteing. ;)

OK, tell us about union pensions. Tell us about union spending on political campaigns. Tell us about how much choice your union gives you on how they spend YOUR union dues.

Just the facts. I'm all ears and I look forward to you telling us how unions are good for this country (I already know how they're good for you).

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
Ya pensions are bad let's work forever!!!!!! Let's work for the government for the rest of our lives!!!

Without Unions every company owner becomes rich and the rest suffer!!!

You try and live on minimum wage and let me know how that works out for ya!!

Sense when is a pension a bad thing!! The Bell guy is in a class of his own and not what everyone gets paid.

Should we hope social security is around forever and invest in the shity stock market. NO THANKS!!!!!!

Go unions keep fighting for the small guy!!!!!!!!! Were people too!!!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
OK, tell us about union pensions. Tell us about union spending on political campaigns. Tell us about how much choice your union gives you on how they spend YOUR union dues.

Just the facts. I'm all ears and I look forward to you telling us how unions are good for this country (I already know how they're good for you).

My point was not all pensions are government and state funded. My 401 type pension comes out of MY wages and is close to 700K after 28 years. It is in a private account with New York Life. My other monthly retirement pension plan also comes out of MY wages. It is in UA fund in Maryland. If it goes under nobody will have to bail us out like you have mentioned before. We just loose it. Yes a very small portion (.10 cents a hour) of MY wages goes to political campaigns. As far as my union dues goes it helps paying for our union hall, secretaries etc. A small price to pay when our total package for a journeyman is $64.16. Foremans make $4.75 more. Included in this wage is all of our retirement, medical, industry promotion and apprentice training.

We have been union and in business since 1969. We have gone thru several owners over the years. And they ALL sign our contract when its due. Nobody is forced to using the company I started working for in 1982. Some don't even know we are union. They just like our work. :thumbsup

You can decide if unions are good for the country. I know mine is good for me and my company. ;)

MMD

Reaction score
Well, it's taken me all these years to learn a valuable lesson.

I should've gone directly to work for the State of California when I first moved here.

State employment and union benefits and pensions that the citizens have to pay for. :champagne: But that ride won't last forever.

I'm not mad at the union folks - I'm just jealous. :bowdown:

Is it too late to get a job working for the state? With my luck Jerry Brown will eliminate my job the day after I get it. :rolleyes:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Union PACS have supported people like Obama, Pelosi & Boxer for decades.

Has nothing to do with private or public union, they all support Dems no matter how much of a imbecile the candidate is.
Pathetic that little freak Villaragosa would come out and say "you can't buy a politicians seat in California" (referring to Meg- at least she spent her own coin). Every friggin Dem in the State was bought with tons of union PAC dough.

So are they blindly pushing these dolts or is there some other agenda?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

So the building trades union backing (R) Steve Cooley was a imbecile move. :rolleyes:

MMD

Reaction score
So the building trades union backing (R) Steve Cooley was a imbecile move. :rolleyes:

Please don't take this personally! I have nothing but respect for union workers. Most of them are an integral part of this country and most are patriotic and love America.

This isn't about union workers or all unions.

I'm very happy the building trades union backed Steve Cooley. With a lot of luck, he still may win (doubtful but I hold out hope).

MMD

Reaction score
Impervious California
Tuesday?s Republican onslaught bypassed the state that needed it most.
3 November 2010

No state is in a bigger fiscal jam than California, with its structural budget deficit and massive unfunded liabilities for well-compensated public employees. The state?s business climate is atrocious, and unemployment has topped 12 percent. Yet California voters on Tuesday not only sidestepped the national backlash against liberal Democratic policies; they declared that they want more of them.

The voters resurrected the career of their 1970s-era governor, Jerry Brown?well known for his ?small is beautiful? policies, which squelched infrastructure growth in what was then a rapidly growing state, and for his support for collective bargaining rights for public-employee unions, which paved the way for many of the state?s fiscal problems today. Those unions bankrolled his campaign for governor this time around. Brown even declared during a debate with rival Meg Whitman that ?everything is on the table,? meaning that he would consider fiddling with Proposition 13, which limits property taxes and has been the third rail of California politics. Brown insists that he won?t support tax increases without a referendum, which at least offers a preview of what?s coming.

A cast of liberal Democratic candidates in California managed to survive the nationwide Republican onslaught. Senator Barbara Boxer won reelection. San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom, who brazenly defied state law on gay marriages and who fought against pension reform in his city, won overwhelmingly in his race for lieutenant governor. Conservatives helped his cause by supporting a write-in candidate in order to deny the post to tax-raising liberal Republican Abel Maldonado. Bill Lockyer won reelection as state treasurer, despite stating recently at a Milken Institute forum that there was no pension crisis and offering this take on the state?s $300 billion?plus unfunded pension liability: ?There is a point in having decent pensions in both public and private life and instead of attacking and victimizing people let?s talk about the inadequate pensions in the private sector and figuring out how to fix that problem.? Democrats even won a few state assembly seats that should have gone to Republicans in an ordinary year, let alone during a Republican wave.

Californians are accustomed to hobbling along with political leadership that sees government as the first answer to everything. But Tuesday?s most disturbing results were on ballot initiatives. Yes, voters rejected a state-parks tax proposal and refused to undermine legislative redistricting, but they supported Proposition 25, which lowers the state?s two-thirds vote requirement for passing budgets. This will push Republicans in the legislature further to the margins, and the dominant Democrats will have additional tools at their disposal to raise taxes early and often. While there?s considerable debate over whether Prop. 25 will allow certain tax increases with a simple majority, there?s no question that the unions and Democratic leadership in Sacramento are celebrating the passage of this destructive measure.

Voters also approved the noxious Proposition 22, which carves out a portion of the state budget for eminent-domain-abusing redevelopment agencies. And they handily rejected Proposition 23, which would have suspended the state?s global-warming law until unemployment came down to a more reasonable level. Some of us had great hope that Proposition B, which would impose modest reforms on San Francisco?s pension and health-care systems for retired employees, would win passage. It was sponsored by the city?s public defender, Jeff Adachi, a progressive who argued that pension reform was necessary to stave off cuts to other city programs. It went down to overwhelming defeat.

California is said to be a national trendsetter, but Tuesday night, it lagged behind the rest of the country. The state continues to move toward the financial precipice. It?s becoming more likely that California is, as former state librarian Kevin Starr put it, a ?failed state.? For this, Golden State voters have no one to blame but themselves. I can only take comfort in H. L. Mencken?s words: ?Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.?

Above opinion piece is from:
http://www.city-journal.org/mobile/story.php?s=6662