WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To Be or Not to Buy: old truck vs debt.

Spectra18

Reaction score
I got a 2008 Ford F-150, payed off , 210k miles, no real issues yet but the heater ain’t working. I mainly tow my spectra 18. Dad suggested I look into a new truck ( 2017-2019). BUT GOT DAMN $35k for a new one. Hate taking money outta my wife’s and girlfriends mouths to pay for a truck. Should I just update whatever needs updating on my current truck ( shocks / axles / heater )

NicPaus

Reaction score
Run it for another 6 months at least and re evaluate the used market. I have been looking for a few months for a clean 5.3 1500 reg cab long bed. Used they are selling for 3-4k more than before covid. Just cleaned up the 05 Tundra reg cab long bed today. Putting brakes on it and running it 250k plus miles on it. Was going to sell but a new 1500 is almost 35k otd right now.

c_land

Reaction score
Run that bitch till the repairs cost more than its worth... Selling it isn't going to get you much to pay down a new truck anyways.

Oh and Pics of wife and GF.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
New truck for sure. Down time and repairs are not worth the stress.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
At 210k miles everything is worn out. If you don’t tow or don’t tow far keep it till it dies. Otherwise pull the trigger on some new iron.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Advice is worth what you pay for it...Get the girlfriend to steal your wife away. Buy a new truck and don't get married again.
Let me get these right ? 🤔 so tell wifey that girlfriend eats better pussy than you do and she’s gone 🤔 that’s diabolical . Order a new truck now ! FYI : this is free advice 😎😉

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Dam Good Advice Given Here , And For FREE 🤔✊🏻😎👍

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Who cares about the truck! Tell us how you worked out the wife and girlfriend!?!? If you can work that out any decision you make on the truck I’m sure is right!

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Wanted advice on the truck ☺ Not the girlfriends and the wife.
Should have asked at dealership not here while buying a new truck while wifey/girlfriend was on road trip 👍🤔😎

Spectra18

Reaction score
Run that bitch till the repairs cost more than its worth... Selling it isn't going to get you much to pay down a new truck anyways.

Oh and Pics of wife and GF.
Those pics would have to be in a +21 over section.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I’m asking for a friend , pictures wifey- girlfriend ? 🤔

Reactions: DWC

Backlash

Reaction score
I was in this same predicament early this morning. Also have an older fairly reliable, paid for truck....now with a trans issue. That's about all that's wrong with it. I like the truck, and I was going to just fix the trans and keep on trucking. But, luckily for me, my wife "Made" me pick up a sweet used Silverado today. Thank you Sweetie for the new toy!

Right now, the prices are awefully high for quality used trucks. There are nice trucks out there, but there aren't a lot of smoking good deals. If you decide to buy something else, be patient and the right deal will come along. 👍

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
What i did in that situation is i told my gf that i was going to get a roommate so it would help make the payment, she didnt want me to and said that she would make the payment instead, well she was working so i gave her the payment book, when we got married she asked if she still needed to make the payment, i was like hell yeah or im getting a roommate

hallett21

Reaction score
Run it for another 6 months at least and re evaluate the used market. I have been looking for a few months for a clean 5.3 1500 reg cab long bed. Used they are selling for 3-4k more than before covid. Just cleaned up the 05 Tundra reg cab long bed today. Putting brakes on it and running it 250k plus miles on it. Was going to sell but a new 1500 is almost 35k otd right now.

Sold my 2000 tundra 4.7 4x4 with 415k. Original motor and transmission when I sold it. And I beat the hell out of that truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeBird236

Reaction score
There's just something women love about a pick-up man.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My thought is who cares about the truck. Lets see pictures of the wife and girlfriend.

Who cares about the truck! Tell us how you worked out the wife and girlfriend!?!? If you can work that out any decision you make on the truck I’m sure is right!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Keep driving the beater until you have a good down payment. Shop for the right deal and take your time. When the right truck and price are found but it.
Then take your sweet ass time selling the beater for as much as you can squeeze out if it. Take that money and pay down your loan.

After all said and done you should have a nice truck that you owe about 25-30k on.
Which is less than what a beat up RZR is worth nowadays lol

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking for where you can get a new truck for $35,000? That'll maybe get you a stripper shop truck with a radio, heater, and roll-up windows only.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was sort of in the the same dilemma (truck, not girlfriend) with 185,000 miles. Used trucks are ridiculously priced right now. You can get a decent deal on some new trucks, but mine sits in the driveway 95% of the time so I can't justify a new truck. I will continue to run the old truck for at least another year.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Keep an eye on this place. They get almost all government fleet trucks to sell. They are located in the Sacramento area. Not sure where you are located.

Sent From Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
No desire to have a new truck here... hear stories about people spending close to six figures on their new trucks. I think they’re crazy.

AB181403-BE3D-4DD6-855E-226FBF4FA3C5.jpeg

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Used they are selling for 3-4k more than before covid.

100% this.
The end of covid seems to be in sight. Right now is NOT the time to be updating tools/equipment/toys that are still working.

If you need to 'de-clutter' - there will never be a better time than right now.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I put a remanufactured 5.3 in my 04 Tahoe last year...that had 247k miles on it. I just drive it back and forth to work for the most part and couldn’t make up my mind what other vehicle I wanted. I think the cost of the motor was more than the vehicle worth. Lol

My wife is on her 2nd BMW and 3rd vehicle overall since I have had the Tahoe.

Sorry, I am no help. 🤷‍♂️

NicPaus

Reaction score
100% this.
The end of covid seems to be in sight. Right now is NOT the time to be updating tools/equipment/toys that are still working.

If you need to 'de-clutter' - there will never be a better time than right now.
Yep I have a bunch of tools listed for double what I paid 10 years ago. They are doubles or triples that we don't use often. Sellers market on everything. I remember last time it was like this and then it was not.

petie6464

Reaction score
I would say no if you had a decent truck to start but an 08 f-150 isn't worth putting money into IMO.

Decent used trucks can be found but you need to be diligent, not everyone believes used trucks sell for what they did new.

Just but a super clean 02 silverado 4x4 vortex ex-cab one owner 131,000 miles for $5,400

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I hate any type of payments, if you are earning a living with that truck its a different story... I am closing in on 400K in my 2000 C2500, putting a new crate motor in her next month and that will be about two payment and insurance on a new truck.
Everything is about perspective and everyone's perspective is different. I drool over the new trucks but I cant justify one, can I afford one, yep, but I like knowing that if the shit hits the fan and I loose my job, I still own everything. I remember as a teenager I was looking at a Vet in a parking lot and I commented to my Dad on how expensive the tires were on that car, his response has stuck with me my whole life, "if you are worried about how expensive the tires are you cant afford the car" We then got into a conversation about who really owns that car the gent driving it or the bank.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I would say no if you had a decent truck to start but an 08 f-150 isn't worth putting money into IMO.

as a previous 3v ford owner, its no surprise that the f150's go for almost next to nothing... they're junk. while its crazy to see mid 00's chevy 1500/2500's fetching upwards of 20k in todays market.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
2008 is an old truck? Shit, makes my Y2K SuperDuty sound ancient even at half the mileage.😊
I did appreciate those folks who chose to buy a new car from me when their first repair estimate was presented to them. Instead of paying a grand or two on a paid off vehicle they opted to spend $600 a month for 60 months and I took in a bitchen trade which we then sold for 2, 3 or 4 times the repairs in profit.
My take on your situation: cheaper to keep her, especially considering what you stated as her main use.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Remember, the cost of the "new" truck is just half the battle, insurance and registration will pretty much double.