WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To call out an RDP member or not, your help please

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Same principle applies when purchasing anything used that is high performance. There is a reason for the substantial discounts over a new under warranty item, its a roll of the dice. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. However taking the opportunity to have an intense diagnostic inspection completed can greatly increase your odds of coming out smelling like a rose.

At the end of the day here Lake Pal could have negotiated maybe $5K off the boat had these issues been diagnosed prior to the deal going down (also thats assuming they were detectable at that time) long story short in the world of high performance boats, $5K isn't jack shit and he will have a sweet ride with fresh power as soon as he sucks it up and throws down the Benjamin's

P.S.
Never buy anything from Atlas :cool

LMAO

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ha ha. Can u say. Gettin dirtaaaayyyy:)

Pokey. I love u man. Ur so logical. No emotion jus passion.

Lake pal. Jump in brother and say something. Oh ya next time u buy a used boat , call pokey first. That dude has skills that ate amazing , when purchasing a boat.

Pokey would of looked at it and said. -- lake pal bro, I think that motor uses oil and will go bnag. Without even riding in it. :).

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Like I said do you think I don't have someone look at these boats be for I invest money in to even buying them HELL yes I have the oil drained on the drives and motor before I even buy the boats to start with
No dog in this fight what so ever. just a question and an observation.

When you first inspected the boat, obviously you checked the oil. Was it low?

After you ran the boat and made the video (with freshly changed oil) did you go over anything when you got back to your shop? Like check the engine compartment for oil leaks, check the oil itself to make sure it wasn't burning any or contaminated?
Either you didn't check it after.
You checked it and it was fine.
You checked it, it was low. So you topped it off and said screw it, I'm down 10k from where I wanted be already I'll just play dumb. (not sayin' this is the case)

Seems odd that the next time it hit the water it burned quarts of oil in a short amount of time. ( I do think it was a big mistake to keep running it after the first time.)

Hammer

Reaction score
Same principle applies when purchasing anything used that is high performance. There is a reason for the substantial discounts over a new under warranty item, its a roll of the dice. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. However taking the opportunity to have an intense diagnostic inspection completed can greatly increase your odds of coming out smelling like a rose.

At the end of the day here Lake Pal could have negotiated maybe $5K off the boat had these issues been diagnosed prior to the deal going down (also thats assuming they were detectable at that time) long story short in the world of high performance boats, $5K isn't jack shit and he will have a sweet ride with fresh power as soon as he sucks it up and throws down the Benjamin's

P.S.
Never buy anything from Atlas :cool

:thumbsup:D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Just sayin...

p1002952731-6.jpg

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
I think OP is doin the right thing/showing incredible restraint stayn on the DL for time being.This would not have been my choice of action.:)

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I think OP is doin the right thing/showing incredible restraint stayn on the DL for time being.This would not have been my choice of action.:)

Yeah. He stated his case and has not been trying to slam anyone.

Kudos to him. :thumbup:

Director...
Reaction score

Hmm...what would be your choice of action?

atlas

Reaction score
This all really comes down to common sense do you really think I want to sell a boat that had a problem so I could be bad mouth to the public which I sell a lot of boats to

milkmoney

Reaction score
This all really comes down to common sense do you really think I want to sell a boat that had a problem so I could be bad mouth to the public which I sell a lot of boats to

I am not sure where u were bad mouthed. I think more of jus ? And opinions.

At least that's how I see or have read it. :)

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure where u were bad mouthed. I think more of jus ? And opinions.

At least that's how I see or have read it. :)

Sure but I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked.

Gee, I wonder why any mention of RDP on facebook causes a riot of flaming pitchforks of people who haven't posted on here in ages.

atlas

Reaction score
Ok maybe wrong choice of words maybe tarnished my reputation over one boat but that's ok anyone that wants something I have for sale I have no problems with them going over it up and down I have nothing to hide in my dealings

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Ok maybe wrong choice of words maybe tarnished my reputation over one boat but that's ok anyone that wants something I have for sale I have no problems with them going over it up and down I have nothing to hide in my dealings

We do not owe you a reputation. It's up to you to earn it. As long as your reputation consists of truthful events, it's all on the up and up.

If someone had an issue with a boat purchased from you and you did not choose to help, that's fine but nobody owes you any veil of secrecy. It is what it is. Now you get to own it.

JBS

Reaction score
Atlas maybe I missed it but when you used the boat in your video did it consume oil. Yes or no

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Atlas maybe I missed it but when you used the boat in your video did it consume oil. Yes or no

That question has been asked several times with no direct answer. Like was stated above, there is no way that the boat didn't use any oil when Atlas took it out and the first time PAL took it out it starts burning oil. Also, a side note on the 50 mile Delta run. My group launched with PAL and we were together all day and were just cruising, not running full throttle.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

As the prosecuting attorney, you may not direct questions at the defendant.....

Those questions may be directed at the judge who may or may not allow them in this kangaroo court of RDP law....

:D

J5Daytona

Reaction score
This all really comes down to common sense do you really think I want to sell a boat that had a problem so I could be bad mouth to the public which I USED TOsell a lot of boats to

fixed it for ya

Sbarry

Reaction score
Atlas, I don't know you or Lake Pal so I don't have a side in this cat fight, but if you have really sold as many boats as you have mentioned, then this is not a hobby of "flipping", this is a business, and should be treated as such. I could care less about what taxes you pay, or don't, but when it comes to your customers you may, in the future, want to obtain written (receipt) proof of the mechanic's observations. This may clear some of the finger pointing.

Lake Pal, sorry for your headache, but maybe wipe your hands clean of this one. On behalf of the other shoppers out there, we thank you for shedding light! Not that Atlas knowingly sold a bad product, but now any upcoming clients might give any boat he has up for sale a second eye and a more in depth survey.

Best of luck to you both!

Reactions: TBI

JBS

Reaction score
That question has been asked several times with no direct answer. Like was stated above, there is no way that the boat didn't use any oil when Atlas took it out and the first time PAL took it out it starts burning oil. Also, a side note on the 50 mile Delta run. My group launched with PAL and we were together all day and were just cruising, not running full throttle.

Scott I honestly was leaning towards Atlas being innocent in this deal. Use high performance motors and drives go under big boy rules.

With that said if it was using oil for Atlas then that needed to be disclosed

Once LP ran it the first time and used that much oil it should of gone on the trailer and stayed there

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
That may sound good in a coffee shop conversation but I don't think it holds up in the real world.

Look at the WCF boat sold to HummerJohn (you will always be HummerJohn to me :D ). It had a speed shop engine that blew up, like they all do, along with the transmission and I seem to recall the drive went, too. A boat yard consigned it and, being good guys, they tried to help with the repairs to the tune of giving the new owner a transmission and other parts but they ended up being dragged through the mud in epic fashion. Nothing short of ten million in small unmarked bills and a dozen free loaner boats would have appeased the new buyer.

Now your gonna love this, the new motor PAL is putting in is the WCF 632. The long block is being redone right now and it's being converted from a blower motor to a single carb motor??

Hammer

Reaction score
IMG_4791.jpg

You mean this motor :yikes:D

That may sound good in a coffee shop conversation but I don't think it holds up in the real world.

Look at the WCF boat sold to HummerJohn (you will always be HummerJohn to me :D ). It had a speed shop engine that blew up, like they all do, along with the transmission and I seem to recall the drive went, too. A boat yard consigned it and, being good guys, they tried to help with the repairs to the tune of giving the new owner a transmission and other parts but they ended up being dragged through the mud in epic fashion. Nothing short of ten million in small unmarked bills and a dozen free loaner boats would have appeased the new buyer.

Now your gonna love this, the new motor PAL is putting in is the WCF 632. The long block is being redone right now and it's being converted from a blower motor to a single carb motor??

Hammer

Reaction score
Yes but I think it was converted to EFI later?

I took that pic about a month ago tops . What is happening with the blower, intercooler and carb set up ? I may be interested...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
View attachment 332255

Yes but I think it was converted to EFI later?

I took that pic about a month ago tops . What is happening with the blower, intercooler and carb set up ? I may be interested...

That isn't the same motor. When Grads bought the WCF, the original blower motor wasn't in the boat. The guy Grads sold it to put a blown 540 or 572 in it (which is the motor in your picture). I am pretty sure Hullshot is talking about the original motor which I believe Dean Tognotti has now.

Hammer

Reaction score
View attachment 332255

That isn't the same motor. When Grads bought the WCF, the original blower motor wasn't in the boat. The guy Grads sold it to put a blown 540 or 572 in it (which is the motor in your picture). I am pretty sure Hullshot is talking about the original motor which I believe Dean Tognotti has now.

Gotcha (pun intended) .

JBS

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think this "new" motor is gonna take this situation from bad to worse

Hammer

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think this "new" motor is gonna take this situation from bad to worse

I hope not, anything attached to
The WCF boat doesn't sit well with me, maybe because she's been passed around like a floozie. I'm sure the right guys will assemble robs motor properly and he will be happy. A lot of smart engine builders here in nor cal.

JBS

Reaction score
I hope not, anything attached to
The WCF boat doesn't sit well with me, maybe because she's been passed around like a floozie. I'm sure the right guys will assemble robs motor properly and he will be happy. A lot of smart engine builders here in nor cal.

I honestly think certain blocks are cursed

If it was me I would want nothing to do with this Frankenstein motor

Hammer

Reaction score
I honestly think certain blocks are cursed

If it was me I would want nothing to do with this Frankenstein motor

As long as they test the block for cracks (magnetic particle inspection etc.. ) and make sure the line bore is straight and done properly it should be fine. Same inspection on internal parts and boring the cylinders. It comes down to the precision of the builder and having quality parts installed.

JBS

Reaction score
As long as they test the block for cracks (magnetic particle inspection etc.. ) and make sure the line bore is straight and done properly it should be fine. Same inspection on internal parts and boring the cylinders. It comes down to the precision of the builder and having quality parts installed.

Nope :D

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Need the short version. Call out happen yet? That is all.

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
Roger that is correct Dean has this motor and it has a 16:71 with EFI on top. He has tried to sell it for a long time but the WCF curse has everyone afraid of it:D

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm...what would be your choice of action?

Sorry to bump.Felt i needed to answer this ques.Nothing illegal.All i meant was my disappointment/frustration/anger would have been out here in typed words.I learned a great deal by observing lakepals restraint.Nuch better way to roll...:)

Director...
Reaction score
H
Sorry to bump.Felt i needed to answer this ques.Nothing illegal.All i meant was my disappointment/frustration/anger would have been out here in typed words.I learned a great deal by observing lakepals restraint.Nuch better way to roll...:)

And the reason I asked you is this.... lake pal .... and any other purchaser out there, is ultimately responsible, before handing over any money, to have something you are purchasing checked out before completing the purchase. .. all the other conjecture offered up here. . Is meaningless...The term as is...... means exactly that...
... and guess what. .. even if he had it checked out and it was deemed ok.... shit happens in a high performance engine very quickly at 90 mph

koenig

Reaction score
I always have a pre purchase inspection done before selling something. I'll then fix anything before selling. Like my Cayenne I know from its inspection it needs a starter motor. Fixing it before its sold. This way if a buyer does an inspection they will not get any surprises.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
H

And the reason I asked you is this.... lake pal .... and any other purchaser out there, is ultimately responsible, before handing over any money, to have something you are purchasing checked out before completing the purchase. .. all the other conjecture offered up here. . Is meaningless...The term as is...... means exactly that...
... and guess what. .. even if he had it checked out and it was deemed ok.... shit happens in a high performance engine very quickly at 90 mph

Understood.Im sure LP understands also.Its a human nature to be bummed out/upset/disappointed.Im not contesting your point.I see this in a dif light then u do.I would use this as a way to build my bidness.SOME kind/form of "I feel like shit bout this happening." "What do u think is fair as far as making this right?" Instead? All im gonna remember bout atlas dude is he was a dick/smartass to Hammer when he asked him a question bout this deal.Then he accused Hammer of buying something from him,which he didnt.Bad taste in mouth deal...U absolutely right on all points u stated.However,word of mouth not gonna be good for atlas from this deal.imo..

Director...
Reaction score
Understood.Im sure LP understands also.Its a human nature to be bummed out/upset/disappointed.Im not contesting your point.I see this in a dif light then u do.I would use this as a way to build my bidness.SOME kind/form of "I feel like shit bout this happening." "What do u think is fair as far as making this right?" Instead? All im gonna remember bout atlas dude is he was a dick/smartass to Hammer when he asked him a question bout this deal.Then he accused Hammer of buying something from him,which he didnt.Bad taste in mouth deal...U absolutely right on all points u stated.However,word of mouth not gonna be good for atlas from this deal.imo..

That being said. ...if atlas put something up for sale here that I wanted. .. and the price was right. ...I would buy it. .... and if it broke. ..I would fix my boat

WINspeed

Reaction score

I have anything I buy looked at by a mechanic to make sure it is good to go for my self WHEN IM THE BUYER

the boat was turn key and ready to go its not like I drop 35k cash and say ok thanks and drive away I have it inspected before hand so im not buying junk myself but noting is 100%

I have nothing to gain by posting this, but I went for the first ride with Rob when he got this boat home. Upon first start up you could smell burning oil, When we got back after a short run the transom was black and sooty and it had used over a quart of oil. So unless this thing blew itself up on the trailer ride home, Rob bought it that way. After it's third time out, I did the leakdown on it and #7 was 35% and showed signs of burning oil on the plug. The rest of the cylinders were 8% or better and had clean plugs. I can also say it sounded fine when we warmed it up prior to the leakdown test. If it wasn't for the oil consumption, you would never know it was hurt. We pulled the motor the same day as the leakdown.

I understand Atlas had nothing to do with the motor build, so him not knowing the specs like the 11.5:1 compression ratio is probably an accurate statement. However it does seem a little strange that he had it out and didn't know it burned any oil, possible? maybe... but doubtful.