WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To Clever or not ?

instagator

Reaction score
If i put a clever in place of Max 5 on a 22 foot Talon ,I know it probably gain top end. What would it do trying to plane. Take longer time or less ? Engine is a 400 R.......Thanks

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If i put a clever in place of Max 5 on a 22 foot Talon ,I know it probably gain top end. What would it do trying to plane. Take longer time or less ? Engine is a 400 R.......Thanks
Cleaver will lift the stearn, and can make the ass end come around on you, they work on some boats that need stearn lift and not bow lift

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do you have a jack plate?

instagator

Reaction score
IMG_1025.JPG

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What pitch MAX 5 are you running?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Are we talking a true over-the-hub cleaver? Your boat doesn’t need stern lift. If you want all out top end, you’d need a big ear chopper or ET style prop. Either way, over the prop will slip for days getting on plane compared to what you have. You just have to drive them way, way different. Also, cleavers (and choppers) are designed as surfacing props... meaning you are going to have to work at your jack plates highest settings once on plane, and if the motor isn’t high enough, you won’t get everything out of the prop. If you are looking for an all around prop for your specific boat, a cleaver isn’t it. In short, they are completely different animals.

instagator

Reaction score
29 Pitch,Gibbs wants me to try maybe a bravo 1 style prop...Not worried about the top end, With the max 5 its roll over time is about 8 seconds, Thats trying different little
trim and jack adjustments and it struggles just to do that.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
29 Pitch,Gibbs wants me to try maybe a bravo 1 style prop...Not worried about the top end, With the max 5 its roll over time is about 8 seconds, Thats trying different little
I am running a 25p MAX 5 on my single 400R and am thinking of dropping down in pitch because it lags getting on plane too. Running a 5 blade 25 is like running a 28 4 blade. If you want to try my 25p MAX 5 let me know. I am taking it off and trying a 26B1 next time I am out.

instagator

Reaction score
I am running a 25p MAX 5 on my single 400R and am thinking of dropping down in pitch because it lags getting on plane too. Running a 5 blade 25 is like running a 28 4 blade. If you want to try my 25p MAX 5 let me know. I am taking it off and trying a 26B1 next time I am out.

Thanks, I am working on a possible bravo 1 also thru gibbs, What boat is the 400 on ?

lavey jr

Reaction score
If better plane time is something you’re looking for, why not start with pulling out some of the vent plugs on your Max5?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If better plane time is something you’re looking for, why not start with pulling out some of the vent plugs on your Max5?
I pulled out 3 of mine and noticed a slight difference but not a ton.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have found for a performance oriented outboard set-up it's just best to have 2 different props. One for cruising and heavy load situations (and pulling skiers and what not) and another for speed runs. With the jack plate it makes it that much easier to switch between the 2 as well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I not only pulled the plugs ,i had them drilled out to 1 -1/8 , helped a little
Does the engine just lug and take forever to build RPM or is it just cavitating and not really going anywhere for the speed?