WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To infuse or not to infuse, thats the ????

jesco

Reaction score
I just ordered a 22 deck from Shockwave that will to be built over the winter (shooting for LA boat show). Was talking to Bob and he suggested going with infused lay-up to help save on weight. For a 22ft boat, these things are HEAVY!!! so any savings helps. He thinks there is easily 500 to 600 lbs that could be shed going this route.... that's a lot of weight to shed specially when its gonna be a jet bote (I know, I know, Im gay, blah blah blah). We haven't nailed a hard price on this yet, but he said figure around a $4,000 upgrade. I have seen pics on here of the process and get the general idea, just not sure about it. What should I be concerned with if anything? He said he does infusion lay up on all the race hulls he lays up, so my guess is they know what they are doing and how to do it properly.

5 150whiteboy

Reaction score
My buddy just got a 21 skier built and made its debut at the 2014 boat show. Bob does great work and his boat came out super super nice u will be very very happy with your new toy. Congrats and he'll no jet is the way to go for Sure I own a open bow jet myself and we damn near live in blythe we love that place. Hit me up you ever wanna take trip out.

jesco

Reaction score
My buddy just got a 21 skier built and made its debut at the 2014 boat show. Bob does great work and his boat came out super super nice u will be very very happy with your new toy. Congrats and he'll no jet is the way to go for Sure I own a open bow jet myself and we damn near live in blythe we love that place. Hit me up you ever wanna take trip out.

Where you at in Blythe? That is where we are, actually Ehrenberg (AZ side). We are up there twice a month all year, boat in summer, offroad in winter. Thats why Im going jet, have a 05' 21 skier now, time to get a new toy.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
if the weight is a concern to you then tossing $4k into the hull versus $4k into a motor/pump to push it that much harder might be a better way of doing things. since the added resin adds absolutely 0 strength to the overall hull the infusion process just eliminates the need for using more resin to achieve full saturation. thus eliminating the weight. i dont think it would have any affect on hull rigidity, etc... if anything it could be stronger. added cost is the bagging, tubing, machinery, etc to do the process that isnt reusable... and time to do so.

ResinInfusion.jpg

but then again its a 22 foot boat. are you planning on blowing bimini's off in front of the bar with it or just have a daily cruiser?

jesco

Reaction score
if the weight is a concern to you then tossing $4k into the hull versus $4k into a motor/pump to push it that much harder might be a better way of doing things. since the added resin adds absolutely 0 strength to the overall hull the infusion process just eliminates the need for using more resin to achieve full saturation. thus eliminating the weight. i dont think it would have any affect on hull rigidity, etc... if anything it could be stronger. added cost is the bagging, tubing, machinery, etc to do the process that isnt reusable... and time to do so.

ResinInfusion.jpg

but then again its a 22 foot boat. are you planning on blowing bimini's off in front of the bar with it or just have a daily cruiser?

Just a cruiser, 60/65 mph boat is all I want. Going with the new LSA motor which is SUPER light, 560 HP/550 LBS-TQ. He has built one other jet deck with this package and is getting around 62mph at 4800rpms. He wants to change the impeller to get closer to 5200. Probably pick up another 3 or 4 mph at best but will help. Im thinking lightening the boat 500 to 600lbs might add a few more mph but at a hefty cost. Might not be worth it. Later on when the kids get older may do a motor swap but for now and the next 5 to 6 yrs, 60iish will be fine

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Just a cruiser, 60/65 mph boat is all I want. Going with the new LSA motor which is SUPER light, 560 HP/550 LBS-TQ. He has built one other jet deck with this package and is getting around 62mph at 4800rpms. He wants to change the impeller to get closer to 5200. Probably pick up another 3 or 4 mph at best but will help. Im thinking lightening the boat 500 to 600lbs might add a few more mph but at a hefty cost. Might not be worth it. Later on when the kids get older may do a motor swap but for now and the next 5 to 6 yrs, 60iish will be fine

take that $4k if you got it and put a blower on it. it'll be more fun.

jesco

Reaction score
take that $4k if you got it and put a blower on it. it'll be more fun.

LSA has a supercharger, same motor in the Cadi CTS-V and the Camero. Pretty badass little motor, power to weight is insane.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Have they built a 22 that is infused? Or would yours be the first?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Im not sure, I think he has but I will definitely check and make sure.

Not sure I would want to be the first one. I am sure they got the process down. Just seeing how it works with that hull would be my question. 600lbs is a lot of extra resin for a 22' boat it seems. Have they weighed the 2 to get some real world numbers.

jesco

Reaction score
Not sure I would want to be the first one. I am sure they got the process down. Just seeing how it works with that hull would be my question. 600lbs is a lot of extra resin for a 22' boat it seems. Have they weighed the 2 to get some real world numbers.

He was guessing on the weight saying that typically infusion cuts the resin use close to half. This boat uses close to (2) 55 gallon drums and might cut to just (1) and maybe a little more. Boat weighs in complete at like 3400 lbs, heavy boat for a 22 footer.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
He was guessing on the weight saying that typically infusion cuts the resin use close to half. This boat uses close to (2) 55 gallon drums and might cut to just (1) and maybe a little more. Boat weighs in complete at like 3400 lbs, heavy boat for a 22 footer.

damn thats pretty heavy for a bare hull.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Carbon Kevlar and infused will shave a ton of weight and give you the strongest hull. It's just $$$$!

Wakker

Sober
Reaction score
His technology came from our boat. Here is the first carbon, epoxy resin, infused hull done at Shockwave. That is a 275 LB man on the deck of a 300 LB hull. The infusion itself is going to save weight as you will have basically perfect saturation and nothing more, without any dry spots or heavy spots from a hand application of resin.

IMG_4162.jpg

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Bob has built a lot of boats and knows what he is talking about. If he is comfortable his infusion process then go for it.