WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To those who enjoy BOAT RACING, what do you prefer?

What kind of BOAT racing do you prefer...

• Total voters

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The bullshit surrounding the Havasu shootout got me thinking...

I enjoy all types of boat racing. But old-school offshore like I grew up watching on wide world of sports, and current shootout racing are my favorite. I remember watching the heyday of offshore as a kid with Celebs racing. And I really enjoy the shootouts. Modern “offshore” with Team Geico, etc... I watch, but it’s not the same. And I follow Catalina Ski Race, Parker enduro, and others. Just want to see what others like to see.. if you prefer the crazy jet boat with roll cage shit let’s hear it.

I watch all of it, but I miss the old days of apaches and cigs battling offshore. If you have another choice, let’s hear about it.

farmo83

Reaction score
For me I love the every day stuff. I love it when I'm at the lake house and two guys come roaring around the bend seeing who is faster, or out riding around and seeing a pair roll into it and take off. Doesn't happen as much as it used to but that's what I really enjoy.

As far as watching or spectating I'll watch all of them.

Tank

Reaction score
Offshore racing in the 2000's with factory motors was the best.
I'd have to agree with this statement right here. F2 factory fleet was filled with nearly every manufacturer of a 35+ foot boat. Races had 25-30 boats in them. F1 (single motor) was the same way and F3 (cats) was just starting to catch on when it was all cancelled for whatever stupid reason.

Offshore Racing could be so freakin awesome but there's just too many egos, too much fraction of groups and favorites and politics and bullshit. Too much confusion. It's killed the sonsorship which has killed the sport (coupled with race teams transitioned to poker runs instead of the race course).

Speaking of which, Geico is letting their sponsership deal with Mrs. Geico expire at the end of the year and they are getting out of motorsports. Hopefully, with Travis Pastrana driving the boat he can bring in Red Bull or another of his big sponsors to step in. That would be huge for offshore racing.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
F1 outboards when they had it at Laughlin / Davis camp , was very spectator friendly . Parker enduro was great . Drag races at Castaic were good . The “ race “ itself isn’t as important as the accessibility /ease to watch the race from a spectator aspect .

Dana757

Reaction score
GN's are my fav class to watch. Of course love the K's, crackers and all the others. 80's and 90's drag boat races were THE SHIT!! The drags these days are bad ass too. I really have no interest in the big boat stuff. I know it's bad ass but I guess it's so far out of reach to me I just don't follow it.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
From both a promoter and spectator perspective, Long Beach Marine Stadium (in the 60s and 70s) and Irvine Lake (1980s) were the two best boat racing venues in Southern California ever. They were both reveune generating giants which could have elevated boat racing to new heights if they had been allowed to continue in their original forms. Offshore racing lost its mystique when it decided to change its format to round-d-round circle racing and abandon what it was suppose to be all about. F1 tunnel boats and Mod VPs are incredible crowd pleasers. Drag boats never fail to entertain as long as the racing program moves swiftly without long lapses between runs.

rivergames

Reaction score
I love ALL Boat Racing.

Lucas had a great venue with Crackerboxs & Drags. It was fun racing all around the country with Pro Boat Racing. Fun times in the cracker grabbing onto the holding rope right next to the fuelers lighting off.

nowski

Reaction score
Drag Boats...

I use to know Jerry Fulgham (The Hillbilly) back in the day. His sister in-law lived two doors down from me and also had a couple of buddies that worked for him as well. I use to go to his house to watch them do some wrenching then go to watch him race...

I also have friends that are good friends with Tim Place (Going Places) and see him on occasion...

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Flatbottom drag boats!!

Screw that long distance shootout single runs where you still dont know who was the fastest.
0423202112.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I love it all.

Offshore point to point
Enduro (9 hour)
Marine stadium races
Crazy roll bar shit lol
et class
Unlimited hydro
Ski racing

The current parker enduro format is awesome as it's closer to old school.

I really miss west coast factory teams. Cheers to Nordic for continuing to have a race team. It would be awesome to have a smaller boat lake series with West coast manufacturers competing. Eliminator, dcb, howard, schiada, cobra, barron, shockwave, advantage, tahiti, ultra, etc... Have a horsepower cap but no speed limits and run. It would be cool to see what these guys would show up with. Bet it would lead to some new innovation that has been dormant in the industry since 08.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
If I see a boat race on TV, I'm watching it!
The only two things that I will choose over that channel. Boat racing on another channel and The Masters. 🏁😁

sintax

Reaction score
I love it all.

Offshore point to point
Enduro (9 hour)
Marine stadium races
Crazy roll bar shit lol
et class
Unlimited hydro
Ski racing

The current parker enduro format is awesome as it's closer to old school.

I really miss west coast factory teams. Cheers to Nordic for continuing to have a race team. It would be awesome to have a smaller boat lake series with West coast manufacturers competing. Eliminator, dcb, howard, schiada, cobra, barron, shockwave, advantage, tahiti, ultra, etc... Have a horsepower cap but no speed limits and run. It would be cool to see what these guys would show up with. Bet it would lead to some new innovation that has been dormant in the industry since 08.

no question there, the parker enduro is still old school hard core racing. I love seeing the different classes, the different boats, and also the grudge / battles.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
like them all.
I have a connection to "A Stock" runabout class: my wife was a runabout racer when she was 10-14 yrs old. has tons of stories about Ted May, Ernie Dawe and other oldtimers. We went to Mission Bay APBA event a few years back and Ted was there with his old looper and the cat he's had forever. She had a brief chat with him, asked about old times, says he hasn't changed at all. Saw Dawe at Copperopolis a back around the turn of the century. We even saw a runabout that had the exact setup and same number on it as her boat from the 60's. I will try to locate the pic we took.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I love the shootout format. Anyone runs what they got. I think its awesome to see all kinds of boats going top speed instead of watching the same boats going around in circles. From pontoons to flattys to the big cats and vhulls its so badass that even the average joe gets a shot at it. And while some of these dudes are filthy rich and have badass big boats they are still your everyday guy and gal not professional drivers.

MOUZER

Reaction score
1/4 mile cars and boats old school not 1000 ft bs...

DONT FORGET..K BOATS SS PS 100MPH CLASS SE

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I have to say, I prefer the circle boat racing like GN, crackers, SS/PS, K-Boats, etc. Drags are fun too, we sponsored a TFJ years ago. Both are fairly easy to watch. Bluewater for either is cool, plus Long Beach Memorial Stadium for the history (though the muffler rule sucks).

Catalina sucks as a spectator venue, no matter what they try (jumbotrons, drones, etc) for everyone back at the Maya. You'd be better off being in it if you really want to see it.

Offshore racing (POPRA, SCOPE) we also sponsored years ago (A Boats). Another sport that's hard to watch, though they do try to run by something on the shore so spectators aren't reduced to binoculars. Run by piers, or along the shore of San Diego Bay, etc.

We go to the Parker Enduro but only to watch it for a bit, then we go play golf or something.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Put in on powell with your close friends and run , the food , the fun , Cocktails, boating some of the Best days of my/ our lives , who the fuck cooks a 160 lb hog in the ground in the middle of nowhere 🤔

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Nice boat i did some 1/4 mile too ran comp flat was a 7.82 at san diego and 7.86 in phx at 139 i was just getting comfy with it then but also knew it was the last ride with it as boss was ending program then too before anyone got hurt had some close calls. View attachment 997926
they dropped comp flat in 1990 so i ran pro gas with a comp motor. that picture is the last pro gas flat race in phx 1993 somebody gave me a 500 olds to try it ran the best of 7.47 at 144.85 i red lighted in finals it sucked because i was the boat to beat.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve been to all of them.
In person I’d have to say it’s hard to beat the helicopter races (with boats under them) at key west.
Standing on the rocks at the sea break watching the big boys go by at close to 200 is a trip.

On TV offshore is boring to watch unless you are a dedicated fan...but it’s a spectacle up close

77charger

Reaction score
they dropped comp flat in 1990 so i ran pro gas with a comp motor. that picture is the last pro gas flat race in phx 1993 somebody gave me a 500 olds to try it ran the best of 7.47 at 144.85 i red lighted in finals it sucked because i was the boat to beat.
Some solid numbers there.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
K BOATS especially the 70s and 80s something no one should have missed ...just no words to explain

brgrcru

Reaction score
LB marine in the 70's. I was young kid .that did it for me . From then on. Always had fast boats .
Loved the drags at castaic and puddingstone in the 80's and 90's. So many boats And the crowds were unbeleivable.
I think the jets running skinny water and through Rapids.
Remeber watching the unlimited hydros on wild world of sports was awsome.

Parker strip looking for races at sunset. Some Saturday nights we would get into 6/7 races . Coming back to camp to refuel ,the wife yelling , what about dinner . Lol
Lost lake Saturday
Aqua quinn Saturday

Great times

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LB marine in the 70's. I was young kid .that did it for me . From then on. Always had fast boats .
Loved the drags at castaic and puddingstone in the 80's and 90's. So many boats And the crowds were unbeleivable.
I think the jets running skinny water and through Rapids.
Remeber watching the unlimited hydros on wild world of sports was awsome.

Parker strip looking for races at sunset. Some Saturday nights we would get into 6/7 races . Coming back to camp to refuel ,the wife yelling , what about dinner . Lol
Lost lake Saturday
Aqua quinn Saturday

Great times

Best post in this thread...

Sunset racing was absolutely the best. Watching em at Lost Lakes was always a rush. Heading out at sunset in Parker, there was always a race to be found.

Great times indeed. 👍👍

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Real offshore racing does it for me. Not running around in a bay, but smashing it out in the ocean. I still love to watch the programs from the 80’s and 90’s on the net.