WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To those who's employment has been terminated over COVID-19 in CA

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I was terminated yesterday...my final day (per the 19 page termination contract) is today. I was told yesterday that my final pay would be FEDEX'd so that I would receive it today. Great. Got an email this morning from HR that there was a problem in the payroll dept. and that my final pay would not arrive until monday or tuesday of next week. Also fine...and even better.

In the State of CA, An employee who is discharged must be paid all of his or her wages, including accrued vacation, immediately at the time of termination. If this does not happen, the employer is on the hook for wages up to and including the day on which the checks arrive, as well as the same amount in penalties, payable to the terminated employee.

I coulda waited to inform them and stuck them for 4 extra days pay...but decided to ask If they'd like to send me an amended contract reflecting the real final day of employment (the day my check will arrive).

If you're losing your job...a few extra days pay could help. just FYI for those that didn't know the law.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Never heard of that law before but it doesn’t surprise me.

That said for the long term goals go get your offroad buddies and when the advertising gets rolling you will get a percentage. ;)

EmpirE231

Reaction score
That is a super lame, anti employer law BTW. But yeah, lots of dumb laws like these in CA.

Where is the law for putting EDD on the hook for something? My wife was laid off 6 weeks ago when this all started, she filed for unemployment the following day, did all the verification etc etc, still has not received one dollar. calls the EDD everyday and cannot get anyone on the phone, has sent several emails with no response. The govt gets away with this shit all day long, yet if an employer can't get a check disbursed the same day of termination, they can get reamed, and the govt will be there to make sure they get reamed.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That is a super lame, anti employer law BTW. But yeah, lots of dumb laws like these in CA.

Where is the law for putting EDD on the hook for something? My wife was laid off 6 weeks ago when this all started, she filed for unemployment the following day, did all the verification etc etc, still has not received one dollar. calls the EDD everyday and cannot get anyone on the phone, has sent several emails with no response. The govt gets away with this shit all day long, yet if an employer can't get a check disbursed the same day of termination, they can get reamed, and the govt will be there to make sure they get reamed.

Surely none of this surprises anyone living in CA?
I dealt with that State and the Board of extortion for 20 years. I left almost a year ago, and am still getting shake down attempts from those assholes.
Side note, I know at least 6 people receiving UI benefits, from at least 4 different States (none in CA).
All started getting benefits within 2 weeks...even a former 1099 employee, although his is earmarked differently.
Did she get a monetary determination?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Surely none of this surprises anyone living in CA?
I dealt with that State and the Board of extortion for 20 years. I left almost a year ago, and am still getting shake down attempts from those assholes.
Side note, I know at least 6 people receiving UI benefits, from at least 4 different States (none in CA).
All started getting benefits within 2 weeks...even a former 1099 employee, although his is earmarked differently.
Did she get a monetary determination?

She got her "approved amount" and certified all weeks etc.... but everything is "pending" .......yet she can't get anyone to help her to figure out what is pending, and how to solve it. She has worked since she was 16yo, now 38yo and has never filed for unemployment in her life.... and the first time she needs it, this is what we get.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
She got her "approved amount" and certified all weeks etc.... but everything is "pending" .......yet she can't get anyone to help her to figure out what is pending, and how to solve it. She has worked since she was 16yo, now 38yo and has never filed for unemployment in her life.... and the first time she needs it, this is what we get.

That sucks.
Has she been filling out her weekly claims online?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

I agree, and think it’s a stupid law, but it’s the law, regardless. If my employer (former employer) wants me to read and sign a 19 page document for the privilege of getting let go...that means to me that they’re all about doing things legally. Fine...so am I.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
That sucks.
Has she been filling out her weekly claims online?

Yep
checks her acct online daily as well

she was bale to get through with one person a few nights ago, who couldn't help... because she was just a "general helper" but that person put her on a call back list to be called back within 3 days. today will be the end of those 3 days......still waiting.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score

I never filed before either. 40 years and I’ll see a whopping 450(plus the 600). I’ve been off 7 weeks now but have had some final checks plus used vacation pay for a few more weeks. I started my claim when I was officially furloughed 4/10. So hopefully when I have no income (middle of may) it will kick right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jet496

Reaction score

That said for the long term goals go get your offroad buddies and when the advertising gets rolling you will get a percentage. ;)
Oh yea. We literally had an employee punch another employee & terminated him there on the spot and did not have his final paycheck handed to him that day. Mind you we need his time card, calculate vacation, holiday accrued, etc., but we have to hand them a check the day they are terminated.

Anyway, we paid the guy for a few extra days. Total BS law.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I never filed before either. 40 years and I’ll see a whopping 450(plus the 600). I’ve been off 7 weeks now but have had some final checks plus used vacation pay for a few more weeks. I started my claim when I was officially furloughed 4/10. So hopefully when I have no income (middle of may) it will kick right in.

I haven't filed for over 30 years. Did once in my twenties for like 3-4 weeks maybe.
I have been out of work since superbowl Sunday.
My claim was processed 4/9 I think. Started trying to file in late March, but it took 3 States to find out where my UI had been paid.

It took a week and a half to see any money after my monetary statement. (Not in CA)

I’ve read a lot of chest pounding posts about shaming recipients. I don’t care.
Ive paid taxes out my ass for my entire life while watching TRUE lazy fucks and welfare breeders and double dipping gov employees drawing full disability while working full time Civil Service jobs, so on and so on live off of my sweat and sacrifice.
I didn’t ask for any of this.
The way I figure it, the money everyone is cheering about saving at the gas pump, while a major economic driving industry is destroyed, more than covers the little bit I’ll get for a very short time.

To the other poster, Keep filing her claims, it’ll show up eventually, if Gavin doesn’t pay the illegals first....

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Has she checked with her former employer if they filled out all the correct paperwork. The company I work for furloughed 7 people all the same day. All but one has gotten their checks within 3 weeks. The only other person hasn't gotten his check might be hung up due to him collecting SS.

BTW..This is in CA.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Working on it

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
I was terminated yesterday...my final day (per the 19 page termination contract) is today. I was told yesterday that my final pay would be FEDEX'd so that I would receive it today. Great. Got an email this morning from HR that there was a problem in the payroll dept. and that my final pay would not arrive until monday or tuesday of next week. Also fine...and even better.

In the State of CA, An employee who is discharged must be paid all of his or her wages, including accrued vacation, immediately at the time of termination. If this does not happen, the employer is on the hook for wages up to and including the day on which the checks arrive, as well as the same amount in penalties, payable to the terminated employee.

I coulda waited to inform them and stuck them for 4 extra days pay...but decided to ask If they'd like to send me an amended contract reflecting the real final day of employment (the day my check will arrive).

If you're losing your job...a few extra days pay could help. just FYI for those that didn't know the law.

hahaha I got burned on that law when I was a young employer...................never forgot it!!! 😆

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

Great info.

I’m telling ya, RDP is way better than any newspaper or TV station.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
if Gavin doesn’t pay the illegals first....

Newsome already proudly announced how they will be giving illegal aliens $500...

They had time to draft up and think of this BS, before actually making sure tax paying Americans can all receive their unemployment

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Has she checked with her former employer if they filled out all the correct paperwork. The company I work for furloughed 7 people all the same day. All but one has gotten their checks within 3 weeks. The only other person hasn't gotten his check might be hung up due to him collecting SS.

BTW..This is in CA.

I doubt her employer had even received any paperwork yet.

I have one employee who decided to stay home (4 weeks ago) during this COVID thing and he filed for UI.... I have yet to receive any paperwork from the EDD as his employer

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I doubt her employer had even received any paperwork yet.

I have one employee who decided to stay home (4 weeks ago) during this COVID thing and he filed for UI.... I have yet to receive any paperwork from the EDD as his employer

Just checked with the lady that handles the EDD in our office. She said normally she would get the paperwork from EDD and fill it out and send it in to confirm the employee was laid off. She said she only gotten paperwork for 2 employees so far. EDD must be bypassing the employers paperwork in some cases.

707dog

Reaction score

first a foremost sorry to hear about losing the job:mad: FN sucks this shits gotten crazy and the worker bees are taking the hit hope you rebound quickly

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Just checked with the lady that handles the EDD in our office. She said normally she would get the paperwork from EDD and fill it out and send it in to confirm the employee was laid off. She said she only gotten paperwork for 2 employees so far. EDD must be bypassing the employers paperwork in some cases.

They are doing that in every State as far as I can tell. Expediting payment.
I think down the road a lot of repayment or claim rejection or both is going to happen as reviews are completed?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Its been a law for a long time.
There are a hell of a lot more workers than owners in this country
Its a good law.

Lay you off today, lag in paying you and close the doors while you wait....it protects workers.
Yes they owe you for missing the your final hour

Taboma

Reaction score
That same day pay was often a problem when working remote locations. Several times I had to have the office send a driver to their closest Greyhound Bus terminal to them in time to get it on the earliest bus, closest to the site. Then I'd make a dash for the bus station, grab the envelope with the final check and haul ass back to the job in time for end of day layoff. You get terminated, you get your check, been that way for as long as I can remember, certainly not new.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
First off, sorry to hear about the situation.

secondly its a good law to protect the worker. if the business doesnt need the employee anymore, they should be paid at that point in full. what if bob is let go and they drag their feet for months getting a check sent out? is there really something that difficult to get AP dept to cut a check? only reason i can think of is, they dont have the money in the account.

id hold them accountable for every penny. I'd have my routing number and account number present and any minute after the "we have to let you go..." is owed time.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
They are doing that in every State as far as I can tell. Expediting payment.
I think down the road a lot of repayment or claim rejection or both is going to happen as reviews are completed?
Hahaha, like the govt can do Anything right. It’s FREE!!!!!!!!

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My wife lost her job 6 weeks ago, We have been married 42 years and she has worked full time since we were married. She is 60 now. We were pretty fortunate she got her checks fairly early but she stayed on it every minute. She has been a controller for 25 years, but the company said due to the virus see ya. They just moved the workload to a VP. A Staffing agency of all things let recruiters go also. So like Tommy said that‘s what she and others have worked for their whole lives.

Her obvious plan is to find work. But my wife and I feel for all of what this has done to individuals and families.

Ray

traquer

Reaction score
FYI if you're laid of and receive severance, that doesn't count as employment and you can recieve UI during that time as well (it's usually sent out weekly for each year worked etc.)

Also in CA, if you hate your job now is the time to quit I guess, as you can get UI in between jobs. You can claim you were concerned about the virus.

Also, to the people collecting UI from multiple states, that sounds like a nice fraud charge coming down the line in a few years once they dig themselves out of this mess. I'd hate to live with something like that hanging over my head. Guess for those people it's a better feeling than an honest job..

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score

My wife was terminated from two jobs, one of which could damn near support us both and all the hobbies if I wanted to work from home. Filed and unemployment dicked her over and showed zero income the last 8 months of 2019, which is a total lie. From what I’ve heard, this has happened to a few other people we know.

They now want to pay her $200/week and yet they messed up somewhere on her paperwork so we cannot access online and I’ve been calling for 3 weeks straight with no answer

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
FYI if you're laid of and receive severance, that doesn't count as employment and you can recieve UI during that time as well (it's usually sent out weekly for each year worked etc.)

Also in CA, if you hate your job now is the time to quit I guess, as you can get UI in between jobs. You can claim you were concerned about the virus.

Also, to the people collecting UI from multiple states, that sounds like a nice fraud charge coming down the line in a few years once they dig themselves out of this mess. I'd hate to live with something like that hanging over my head. Guess for those people it's a better feeling than an honest job..

Multiple state collection is completely legal if qualifying funds are paid to multiple states.
They can actually be combined and administered from a primary state I think.

Mine is all from one State, but it isn’t where I live, it’s from the State that collected my UI premiums from my employer.
In my case I’m labeled a “commuter” by the payer State, which is accurate.

Every State does it a little different, but they do communicate open claims, so you have to reconcile multiple states earnings through consolidation, because you can’t have open claims in multiple states.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Sorry Pat, to hear this (yesterday). It was good to talk to you; I appreciate your time on what was a shitty day for you.

I wish you the best and hope things get better for you and your family. I typically believe things work out for the best but these days it's more difficult to buy that

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
My wife lost her job 6 weeks ago, We have been married 42 years and she has worked full time since we were married. She is 60 now. We were pretty fortunate she got her checks fairly early but she stayed on it every minute. She has been a controller for 25 years, but the company said due to the virus see ya. They just moved the workload to a VP. A Staffing agency of all things let recruiters go also. So like Tommy said that‘s what she and others have worked for their whole lives.

Her obvious plan is to find work. But my wife and I feel for all of what this has done to individuals and families.

Ray

Where are you located? Always have companies looking for controllers. Should have some on the other end of this debacle as well.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Where are you located? Always have companies looking for controllers. Should have some on the other end of this debacle as well.

Thank You CC, we live in Nor Cal in the little town of Ripon. We just recently moved here from our hometown of Stockton.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well shit...
I have always been a believer that there is an ebb and flow to income, as well as good times and bad. The two are not always intertwind.
Busted myself up in a car wreck, was on UI for a few months, disability I think. I figured I'd paid into it. Came away from it appreciating things in different ways. A few years later, making big money (buy my standards) and spending like a drunken sailor (no offense to anyone). Still, wasn't happy. That crashed by my own stupidity, and the bankers too I guess. Came away from that a different person all together. Layoffs and slowdowns...was looking for a job when I found that one.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze that shit in his eyes, knee him in the crotch and keep on walking!

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Well shit...
I have always been a believer that there is an ebb and flow to income, as well as good times and bad. The two are not always intertwind.
Busted myself up in a car wreck, was on UI for a few months, disability I think. I figured I'd paid into it. Came away from it appreciating things in different ways. A few years later, making big money (buy my standards) and spending like a drunken sailor (no offense to anyone). Still, wasn't happy. That crashed by my own stupidity, and the bankers too I guess. Came away from that a different person all together. Layoffs and slowdowns...was looking for a job when I found that one.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze that shit in his eyes, knee him in the crotch and keep on walking!

Amen to that, we will keep on lacing up those boots.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thank You CC, we live in Nor Cal in the little town of Ripon. We just recently moved here from our hometown of Stockton.
Spent a few days in Ripon back in the early 70s at my uncles farm. Lots of Dutch people back then. Is it still like that?

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Spent a few days in Ripon back in the early 70s at my uncles farm. Lots of Dutch people back then. Is it still like that?

Quite a few Bobby, great town as you know lots of Almond Farmers. Population now is about 15K. The company I work for moved the business from Stockton to Ripon in 84. I’ve been with them since 76.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Quite a few Bobby, great town as you know lots of Almond Farmers. Population now is about 15K. The company I work for moved the business from Stockton to Ripon in 84. I’ve been with them since 76.
Yep they were Ahmond farmers. Lol At least that’s how I remember how they said Almond. Lol Also tomatoes. The Hoffs and Snodgrass were my relatives. Don’t know if there still around.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Yep they were Ahmond farmers. Lol At least that’s how I remember how they said Almond. Lol Also tomatoes. The Hoffs and Snodgrass were my relatives. Don’t know if there still around.

No kidding on how it’s pronounced. There are some local farmers that have been around a long time that I know and will ask. I did some business with a company called Henry Hoff and Son.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
No kidding on how it’s pronounced. There are some local farmers that have been around a long time that I know and will ask. I did some business with a company called Henry Hoff and Son.
Yep. Henry was my grandmothers brother. Aunt Pearl was his wife. Small world. Are they still around. They all came from Iowa back in the 40s.