WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Today's a Good Day!

rvrrun

Reaction score
Its not that easy.. 64-65 chevelles have very small rear fenders. I mini tubed mine and I have a 19x10 rear wheel with a 275 tire. You have to rebuild the rear fenders and cut the pinch seam. You can not even fit your hand in between the fender and tire.

Turbo kits have become pretty cheap for the LS based motors. That's the direction I would be going.

The fender isn't the only thing that can be cut. Cut the frame and get rid of the horribly weak stock rear suspension at the same time. You still have to tub, but that's easy. I used to go through Pick Your Part and look for the stronger station wagon arms for my '66. There are much better solutions to that problem now, but mine would eat them regularly with a 265 tire.

GET SOME

Reaction score
The fender isn't the only thing that can be cut. Cut the frame and get rid of the horribly weak stock rear suspension at the same time. You still have to tub, but that's easy. I used to go through Pick Your Part and look for the stronger station wagon arms for my '66. There are much better solutions to that problem now, but mine would eat them regularly with a 265 tire.

And cutting a frame is a easy adventure?? Now your talking body off..

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You don't have to trash the rear suspension and frame lol....
Choose a sticky compound rear tire as wide as you can go, and either box the rear arms or get some quality aftermarket bolt on arms. No need to cut the car up unless your trying to run 7's

rvrrun

Reaction score
You don't have to trash the rear suspension and frame lol....
Choose a sticky compound rear tire as wide as you can go, and either box the rear arms or get some quality aftermarket bolt on arms. No need to cut the car up unless your trying to run 7's

...or going for "that look".

90% of the time we cut up perfectly good cars because the customer is trying replicate something they saw in one of the rags.

There is something to be said for an A body with a 9", 3 link (torque arm) and Watts.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Why stop there...how about a tpi 350 from a early eighties vette...lol

See, you do have a touch of nostalgia in there somewhere. :D What about the Crossfire 350? :D haha

Back in the early 90's I saw a '32 Ford roadster with a transplanted Tuned port 350 and I thought hmm, might be kinda cool for someone less mechanical that's looking for better reliability and mpg. It made some sense to me back then.

Jump ahead to the early 2000's and I notice again a '32 Ford with a late 80's TPI at a show where several cars had the newer LS's in them. It made the TPI seem obsolete and much less desirable. I remember thinking I'd much rather just have a basic earlier style cammed, carbed, aluminum headed small block in there than that obsolete TPI motor.

Now in 2017 I feel like the LS1 is becoming obsolete and there's no end in sight to where modern performance is headed. The modern day muscle car war is in full swing and I love it, but there's no way I'd want to keep pace with technology with an old car when it requires complete drive train and (possible) computer and wiring swaps every 5 years.

I'd rather just buy a new vet every 5 years and keep my old car old school. Is that so bad? :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That's going to end up being a weak link. They wen't as cheap as possible and the car was probably a 350/350 car before they swapped in the LS.

400 will hold the power but won't make for a great freeway flyer being a 3 speed (same with the 350)

Looks like a good start to a nice car...de ghetto it and fix her right:)

Good god. :rolleyes weak link?

While not as strong as a th400, tens of millions of th350s are in service, still. That motor will be fine in front of that trans. You don't need to consider changing the trans unless you considering overdrive.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

While not as strong as a th400, tens of millions of th350s are in service, still. That motor will be fine in front of that trans. You don't need to consider changing the trans unless you considering overdrive.

Turbo 350's don't last behind 400hp when you are beating on them. He said he wants to kill tires I don't think he is going to go easy on her;):D

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Picked something up that I've always loved! 1965 Malibu SS. Has a few issues, but I got her for the price I thought was fair. Plus, she has a Corvette motor in her. She is fun, but needs some work! I thought I'd need AAA to get me home! View attachment 589459

Nice car Andrew! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Stop the madness and get that trans changed right away.;)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I agree. Lots of guys are running 600hp thru built TH350's, they take less power to spin and weigh less.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Turbo 350's don't last behind 400hp when you are beating on them. He said he wants to kill tires I don't think he is going to go easy on her;):D

I don't even know what to say. 400HP?

IMA chalk it up to you are too young to know what peeps did with power in the 80s or 90s I guess. :rolleyes

WTF do you think people used before you could order it from Jegs or Summit with a credit card?

You act like no one went fast before the "new" ls came out.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Bad ass car Anju.

That body style was always one of my favorite Chevys. Just not enough garages. :)

Kinnadigginonthecolortoo.

rivergames

Reaction score

I spun the tires 1 block from the tranny shop yesterday!

I'm not going to be laying rubber under the rebuild in a few years. She's just a cruiser for now. Dude, she's my daily driver (unless I need my truck for something)

Down the road, I want to cage her, box frame, etc..... Pretty much make it a indestructible daily driver

Nice car Andrew! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Stop the madness and get that trans changed right away.;)

RDP's are going to start kneeling if I keep the 350 Tranny!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
But Im in especially if we are talking a manual trans.

Just cause. :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

IMA chalk it up to you are too young to know what peeps did with power in the 80s or 90s I guess. :rolleyes

WTF do you think people used before you could order it from Jegs or Summit with a credit card?

plenty of great motors out there...I don't like building stuff with the hope it lasts and breaking down on the side of the road.

How much do you have to spend on a TH350 to get it to last in a high HP application compared to a glide or TH400?

I understand if you are chasing a number and weight and efficiency are needed and you rebuild it often.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
A glide.....in a street car?

dude.....you need an intervention.

Cereal.

I know what a glides for buddy....

I was asking a question about price... still looking for an answer...lol

Sounds like this will work out good for him as a daily driver at the current power level. I am curious to learn but I would be building a different car with way more than 400 hp and have zero desire to ever daily drive a 50 year old car.;):D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

600hp now?

You seriously need to get off the Ritalin.

Didn't you just insinuate that 400hp isn't shit for a th350...lol???

600hp isn't that much for a blown ls and thats the route the car is going.

too early for drinks homie...:drink:eek

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
The LS motors can shake, rattle and lope also!

Here is my El Camino with a 440" BBC - Big Solid lifter cam on a 108, 11.5:1 compression, 850 DP Holley

[video=youtube_https;caQC_zLe5pI]https://youtu.be/caQC_zLe5pI[/video]

Here is the car with the LS3 in it. 230/234 @ .050 .600 lift Cam, EFI.

[video=youtube;H2ksCZqbbj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ksCZqbbj8[/video]

I like the 1st vid better. :champagne:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
My buddy John has a nice '65 with an LS1 and a 5 speed. He's looking to narrow his 12 bolt a little to fit more rubber out back.

Sorry about the picture quality, these are video stills from the Riverside show n go.

18558551_10213554260197768_1026196163155939419_o.jpg

18527277_10213554262637829_1494174206527215877_o.jpg

18518382_10213554262597828_4325158892207871035_o.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
One of my favorites....

And a 5 spd, soooouuuper bad ass. :)

Brian

My buddy John has a nice '65 with an LS1 and a 5 speed. He's looking to narrow his 12 bolt a little to fit more rubber out back.

Sorry about the picture quality, these are video stills from the Riverside show n go.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Thanks! I just downloaded one of those instagram app dealios.... He is a close up of the difference!

Im partial to old school cool, so I dig the OG look.

I bought an NOS grille a hundred years ago for my Valiant and I haven't put it on. It just looks so bad ass in the box. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I imagine the parts you took off are worth something. Just sayin.

Brian

rivergames

Reaction score
I imagine the parts you took off are worth something. Just sayin.

Brian
I got them in a box. One of the previous owners spray painted them black.... Ill throw them on CL for $100 + the old grill... If it doesn't sell, ill hang that shit on my wall [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I got them in a box. One of the previous owners spray painted them black.... Ill throw them on CL for $100 + the old grill... If it doesn't sell, ill hang that shit on my wall [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

If it is just cheapie spray paint and the grill is OG and in nice shape otherwise....I think you want to reconsider that price. :)

rivergames

Reaction score
If it is just cheapie spray paint and the grill is OG and in nice shape otherwise....I think you want to reconsider that price. :)
I'm not much of that sentimental crap. I just want her to run and down the road, burn everything that tries to line up!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm not much of that sentimental crap. I just want her to run and down the road, burn everything that tries to line up!

Maybe I wasn't clear....if that grille and related parts are in good shape, I imagine the value is greater than $100 to someone.

rivergames

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear....if that grille and related parts are in good shape, I imagine the value is greater than $100 to someone.
Gotcha. I thought you meant to strip, chrome, and throw it back on cuz its original.

I might be able to get a little more. Ill take a look this week and see what they are going for

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Gotcha. I thought you meant to strip, chrome, and throw it back on cuz its original.

I might be able to get a little more. Ill take a look this week and see what they are going for

I don't think they were ever chrome, I believe they are all stamped aluminum parts.

rivergames

Reaction score
I don't think they were ever chrome, I believe they are all aluminum.
Very true. It's light as aluminum. It would need to be stripped and polished. Hell, probably more money in polishing than the whole setup!

rvrrun

Reaction score
Very true. It's light as aluminum. It would need to be stripped and polished. Hell, probably more money in polishing than the whole setup!

They are anodized aluminum. We polished all of that stuff on the 63 Vette we are restoring, but it's going to be hell for the owner to keep shiny. You already know the price of the repop grill, most are going to go that route instead of buying used parts. Early ford parts are one exception to this. Most repop parts don't fit worth a damn, and the original parts command a premium.