WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Today's a Good Day!

rivergames

Reaction score
Almost thinking about throwing these on there...

First things first though, I need to fix the following:
-Head lights
-Wind Shield wipers
-Water temp gauge
-Oil Pressure Gauge
-Bolt down passenger seat
-Hook up the old skool cigarette lighter
-Clean up engine compartment
-Replace some coroded wiring
-Oil Change
-Protect body and clean up a little bit of rusted areas.

Attachments

• usm-u10615706137.jpg
    usm-u10615706137.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 20

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Almost thinking about throwing these on there...

First things first though, I need to fix the following:
-Head lights
-Wind Shield wipers
-Water temp gauge
-Oil Pressure Gauge
-Bolt down passenger seat
-Hook up the old skool cigarette lighter
-Clean up engine compartment
-Replace some coroded wiring
-Oil Change
-Protect body and clean up a little bit of rusted areas.

Yes, I like those wheels myself. The TH-350 should live behind it if built right, but a tranny with overdrive would obviously help with overall drivability (I'm sure you know that anyway). I mean, an LS motor minus an overdrive tranny kind of defeats the purpose of doing that LS swap anyways. Have fun with it!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Chevy never badged anything 402, kept the 396 logo...but you are probably correct.

correct, badged as 396, started in 1970 with the various 454's as the top package unlike the 396's of 1969. Don't quote me on it, but I think LS 5 was the designation, the LS 6 of course being the top 454. ZL 1 aluminum 427 in '69 would be my favorite though. Dealer option (Yenko, Dana, Nicky) or copo order only.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Dude you bought this thing and didn't know if it was a big block or LS? Classic!

My guess is its a 98-2002 Camaro motor. Vette plastic covers dont mean anything. I'm fairly certain vette motors in that era where thottle by wire whereas the camaros were not. Nice driver!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Dude you bought this thing and didn't know if it was a big block or LS? Classic!

My guess is its a 98-2002 Camaro motor. Vette plastic covers dont mean anything. I'm fairly certain vette motors in that era where thottle by wire whereas the camaros were not. Nice driver!

Ls motors didn't go drive by wire until the ls2 in the 05 vettes/gto's

Trucks started earlier.

If it's an iron block I bet 5.3 if it's aluminum it will be a ls1 out of a 97-00 vette or a 98-00 camaro/firebird.

Looks like it has an ls1 intake on it vs. the later ls6 intake in the 01+ cars.

Could also be a 4.8/5.3 with a car manifold

rivergames

Reaction score

Didn't have a clue! I bought this for the car! Down the road and I want a big ass blower sticking outta the hood so I can barely see where I'm going!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

rivergames

Reaction score
After looking online, I think I might need a relay for my head lights.

Last night, I'm driving home after the purchase. I turn the lights switch on, and no headlights. I pull over and take a look. The rear lights work, but I wasn't getting anything outta the 4 headlights. Then, I stated hitting the side streets to get home and they turned on for a second, then flickered, then shut off.

It appears other car forums state it needs a relay to get more power to the headlights. Supposedly the switch can't handle the juice.

Any tips would be helpful with this issue!

HANDY

Reaction score
check the floor mounted dimmer switch those make the headlights flash on and off sometimes

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a 4l60e from a 2001 camaro if you want it. Will need a computer to make if shift though

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

Trucks started earlier.

If it's an iron block I bet 5.3 if it's aluminum it will be a ls1 out of a 97-00 vette or a 98-00 camaro/firebird.

We had a '99 Vette and I would have put money on it being throttle by wire. I still have a '99 SS and it is traditional throttle.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

Trucks started earlier.

Yeah, I was correct. 1997 throttle by wire appeared in the Vette LS motor.

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We had a '99 Vette and I would have put money on it being throttle by wire. I still have a '99 SS and it is traditional throttle.

you are correct...4th gen LS fbodies were always throttle by cable and now that I think about it my 04 vette was throttle by wire.

rivergames

Reaction score
I have a 4l60e from a 2001 camaro if you want it. Will need a computer to make if shift though

Thank you for the offer! At the moment, I am just going to stick with what is currently in there.

When the rebuild comes along down the road, I'll have a new setup in her. :thumbup:

rivergames

Reaction score
check the floor mounted dimmer switch those make the headlights flash on and off sometimes

I saw that as well. When I get her back from the shop, that will be the first item I look at. Hopefully it's just that switch!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Sweet car bro! Probably an LS1 in there. I hope you ditch the column shift and and dubs but I'm sure you'll do that car right whatever you do. 👍🏻

Personnaly, I like the older engines better. If you try and keep the drivetrain modern you'll be swapping in something new every 5 years until its eventually electric power. lol

Congrats!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There are a shit of LS engines out there. No way I'd pull that out and trade it for a BBC. That's the best set up right there!

As CT said, toss the 350 and put a Tremc in it. It will be a ton more fun to drive.

Don't start throwing parts at the headlights. Have some one diagnose the actual problem and go from there.

CT has you on the right track. You can tell a lot just by the placement of the crank and knock sensors, but you'll need some numbers to know what you have.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! But that trans needs to go for sure. Go with a 200R if you want to stay auto. Best shift patern for that car.

Have fun!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sweet little ride Andrew! Congrats! :thumbup:

The early iron likes to eat grounds. Check all your grounds and straps, make sure they are clean and present. There should be one on the trans to the frame, one from the block to the frame, one from the block to the battery, one from the valve cover to the firewall, and make sure the aux from the neg terminal is attached to the fender.

Most likely as was said already you need a dimmer switch, they take a beating down there, and the aftermarket replacements are trash compared to the original. Wear out all the time.

If the wiring harness has not been updated, and they just added old on top of new, you should seriously consider a Painless or other complete harness solution, it will make adding stereo/lighting/accessories much easier. Besides cleaning things up some, they make them specifically for LS1 conversions etc for the model of vehicle. :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Sweet car bro! Probably an LS1 in there. I hope you ditch the column shift and and dubs but I'm sure you'll do that car right whatever you do. 

Personnaly, I like the older engines better. If you try and keep the drivetrain modern you'll be swapping in something new every 5 years until its eventually electric power. lol

Congrats!

I think you are the only person I know that loves to invest $$$ and time into taking things 4 steps backwards...lol:D

Yank that Ls and throw anything old in there and you have basically crushed the value and made it worse to drive.:skull

If this car was a numbers matching all original 64-65 chevelle I would tell you to leave it alone. That is not the case here.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Regarding your headlights I have experienced this several times in older cars and some times you get lucky by trying to adjust the dimmer on the actual switch not the high beam dimmer. So pull the knob for the headlights and turn the knob which dims the dash lights sometimes this has a bad ground spot and then the lights work suddenly. If this doesn't do it try the chevelle forum.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-electrical-wiring/

rivergames

Reaction score
Sweet car bro! Probably an LS1 in there. I hope you ditch the column shift and and dubs but I'm sure you'll do that car right whatever you do. 

Congrats!

Thanks! The column shift blows and the rims are too hood for my taste. I'll swap the rims in a month or two after all the little glitches are fixed. The column shift will stay until the rebuild. I want a blower motor with a manual tranny ready to lay rubber

There are a shit of LS engines out there. No way I'd pull that out and trade it for a BBC. That's the best set up right there!

As CT said, toss the 350 and put a Tremc in it. It will be a ton more fun to drive.

Don't start throwing parts at the headlights. Have some one diagnose the actual problem and go from there.

CT has you on the right track. You can tell a lot just by the placement of the crank and knock sensors, but you'll need some numbers to know what you have.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! But that trans needs to go for sure. Go with a 200R if you want to stay auto. Best shift patern for that car.

Have fun!

350 will stay until it's time for the rebuild. Tranny shop just called and said it was leaking from multiple areas and the oil smelled a little burned. They are going to give her a full rebuild and go through all the internals to make sure she will handle the LS.

Sweet little ride Andrew! Congrats! :thumbup:

The early iron likes to eat grounds. Check all your grounds and straps, make sure they are clean and present. There should be one on the trans to the frame, one from the block to the frame, one from the block to the battery, one from the valve cover to the firewall, and make sure the aux from the neg terminal is attached to the fender.

Most likely as was said already you need a dimmer switch, they take a beating down there, and the aftermarket replacements are trash compared to the original. Wear out all the time.

If the wiring harness has not been updated, and they just added old on top of new, you should seriously consider a Painless or other complete harness solution, it will make adding stereo/lighting/accessories much easier. Besides cleaning things up some, they make them specifically for LS1 conversions etc for the model of vehicle. :)

Thanks bud! I will go through the car and make sure she is grounded out!

Leave the LS, add a tremec, and a couple of hair dryers instead of the blower.

I leave the hair blowers for the chicks!

Regarding your headlights I have experienced this several times in older cars and some times you get lucky by trying to adjust the dimmer on the actual switch not the high beam dimmer. So pull the knob for the headlights and turn the knob which dims the dash lights sometimes this has a bad ground spot and then the lights work suddenly. If this doesn't do it try the chevelle forum.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-electrical-wiring/

Thanks! I already ordered a dimmer switch for $8, but I will definitely take a closer look at the main light switch

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sweet, I see it has an LS in it already! If you need help getting a 4l60E overdrive in there and having the harness sorted out to control it, shoot me a PM. As long as you have a GM ECM running that motor, it can be flashed to control the trans like factory. If the harness doesn't have the trans wiring in it, it can be added, or the whole harness can be swapped for a new one with the trans integrated.

You can also keep what you have and just add a stand alone trans controller to run a 4l60E.

OR - Throw a 700r4 in it for overdrive and you won't need the computer or wiring to be messed with at all. Just get the kit that runs the TV cable off the cable throttle body.

With a 4l60e or 700r4 swap, you'll need to shorten the driveshaft and move the crossmember back. The 4l60E will need a bit of tunnel massaging where the cooler lines are, and where the bellhousing bolts to the trans case can be tight. The 700R4 has a cast-on bellhousing like the TH350 and shouldn't have clearance problems.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I think you are the only person I know that loves to invest $$$ and time into taking things 4 steps backwards...lol:D

Yank that Ls and throw anything old in there and you have basically crushed the value and made it worse to drive.:skull

If this car was a numbers matching all original 64-65 chevelle I would tell you to leave it alone. That is not the case here.

LMAO!!

If I want an LS I'll buy a new Camaro or vet. Just my opinion but I like the throwback in time these cars offer. I want it to shake, rattle, stink and be uncomfortable. They're time machines and thats precisely what I like about them.

I do appreciate the new stuff to some degree and I certainly don't expect the majority of riverdavers to understand where I'm coming from which is cool too.😎

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Trucks started earlier.

All C5 vettes were drive by wire.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looks like they pushed the motor way back against the firewall, probably to clear an F-body LS1 pan behind the cross member, and to get the low mount alternator to clear the steering box. That is gonna make the trans tunnel need more surgery than normal, to get a 4l60E in there.

You can see the alternator tucked behind the steering box here - This pic is an F-body accessory drive as well.

alternator.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
LMAO!!

If I want an LS I'll buy a new Camaro or vet. Just my opinion but I like the throwback in time these cars offer. I want it to shake, rattle, stink and be uncomfortable. They're time machines and thats precisely what I like about them.

I do appreciate the new stuff to some degree and I certainly don't expect the majority of riverdavers to understand where I'm coming from which is cool too.

The LS motors can shake, rattle and lope also!

Here is my El Camino with a 440" BBC - Big Solid lifter cam on a 108, 11.5:1 compression, 850 DP Holley

[video=youtube_https;caQC_zLe5pI]https://youtu.be/caQC_zLe5pI[/video]

Here is the car with the LS3 in it. 230/234 @ .050 .600 lift Cam, EFI.

[video=youtube;H2ksCZqbbj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ksCZqbbj8[/video]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

The LS motors can shake, rattle and lope also!

Here is my El Camino with a 440" BBC - Big Solid lifter cam on a 108, 11.5:1 compression, 850 DP Holley

[video=youtube_https;caQC_zLe5pI]https://youtu.be/caQC_zLe5pI[/video]

Here is the car with the LS3 in it. 230/234 @ .050 .600 lift Cam, EFI.

[video=youtube;H2ksCZqbbj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ksCZqbbj8[/video]

I get the nostalgia, but with the LS the truck is faster, handles better, drives better and gets better gas mileage.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Thanks! The column shift blows and the rims are too hood for my taste. I'll swap the rims in a month or two after all the little glitches are fixed. The column shift will stay until the rebuild. I want a blower motor with a manual tranny ready to lay rubber

Perfect, although these guys might burn you at the stake if you stick a blower up through the hood off a 50's school bus! hahaha

I wonder how many rigerdavers would own a cracker or a ridgid frame chopper. Certainly not trickle...😂

rivergames

Reaction score
Perfect, although these guys might burn you at the stake if you stick a blower up through the hood off a 50's school bus! hahaha

I wonder how many rigerdavers would own a cracker or a ridgid frame chopper. Certainly not trickle...

People try to burn me all the time since I'm a Trump supporter living in the heart of LA. Only problem is that a person can't be burnt when he doesn't give a rats ass!

rivergames

Reaction score

I wonder how many rigerdavers would own a cracker or a ridgid frame chopper. Certainly not trickle...

Our wood cracker is over at Harlan Orrins. He is putting a new wood bottom on her!

My uncle or brother will do a few races a year with her after I get done with the rebuild. She is going to be P76 Zzap agian like she was in the 70's. :tbi

I'm rebuilding her so I can take her up to the needles shows and leave her on the trailer and get sauced up like everyone else! ;)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

I was probably the first to cut a hole in a brand new ls1 powered corvette and have a blower sticking out...lol ;):eek

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
350 will stay until it's time for the rebuild. Tranny shop just called and said it was leaking from multiple areas and the oil smelled a little burned. They are going to give her a full rebuild and go through all the internals to make sure she will handle the LS.

And how much is that gonna cost?? Do you even know what engine you have yet?? How is he gonna build a trans for the unknown??

Remac gave me a price of just under 2k for a well built 200R with no core. Even if you have him build you a 200R to handle the power you eventually want to put out, it will be around 3700.00 or so.

Think about spending a few more bucks now, rather than a shit ton of $$$, all at once, down the road.

Not to mention a Turbo 350 just sucks. To me, it makes no sense to put any money in one, if you're gonna dump it eventually.

Also, I've seen naturally aspirated LS engines with a carb on it put out 700hp or so. We just did a 55 cheby with an LS that put out 500hp AT THE REAR TIRES! This thing will smoke the tires all day. You want the blower motor why again?? Think dependability here. Working on shit gets OLD. I don't care who you are. The LS platform is what I would do all day.

Anyway, food for thought. Best not to jump into any decisions.

:)

rivergames

Reaction score
And how much is that gonna cost?? Do you even know what engine you have yet?? How is he gonna build a trans for the unknown??

Remac gave me a price of just under 2k for a well built 200R with no core. Even if you have him build you a 200R to handle the power you eventually want to put out, it will be around 3700.00 or so.

Think about spending a few more bucks now, rather than a shit ton of $$$, all at once, down the road.

Not to mention a Turbo 350 just sucks. To me, it makes no sense to put any money in one, if you're gonna dump it eventually.

Also, I've seen naturally aspirated LS engines with a carb on it put out 700hp or so. We just did a 55 cheby with an LS that put out 500hp AT THE REAR TIRES! This thing will smoke the tires all day. You want the blower motor why again?? Think dependability here. Working on shit gets OLD. I don't care who you are. The LS platform is what I would do all day.

Anyway, food for thought. Best not to jump into any decisions.

:)

By the time all this tranny talk came about, she was already at the Tranny shop and I gave the approval to tear into her and rebuild.

In my mind, this is more of a cruiser for the time being. I have faith that she'll hold together (I think)

As far as the blower, I love the feeling of blowers and want that feeling in this car!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Our wood cracker is over at Harlan Orrins. He is putting a new wood bottom on her!

My uncle or brother will do a few races a year with her after I get done with the rebuild. She is going to be P76 Zzap agian like she was in the 70's. :tbi

I'm rebuilding her so I can take her up to the needles shows and leave her on the trailer and get sauced up like everyone else! ;)

I don't think there's a more deserving boat for that kind of love and restoration. I'm quick to click on Harlans picks when he posts on fb and he's absolutely the best guy for the job! 👍🏻 I'm in the front of the line waiting to see it done.😎

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
By the time all this tranny talk came about, she was already at the Tranny shop and I gave the approval to tear into her and rebuild.

In my mind, this is more of a cruiser for the time being. I have faith that she'll hold together (I think)

As far as the blower, I love the feeling of blowers and want that feeling in this car!

I have owned two blown ls cars (Still have 1 and they work good but expect 5-10K)

Turbo technology has come so far and has gotten to the point where it is a ton cheaper than going the blower route....you can size a system that will hit hard at lower rpms.

Turbo's are typically easier on the car and drive train overall.

You will have a hard time putting a tire on that car. 65-65 A Bodies have small factory wheel wells so stuffing something bigger than a 275 is an issue w/o mini tubs. I also think those mostly came with a 10 bolt rear end and a open diff?

I would be doing a single turbo set up on e85 in that engine bay.....fairly cheap and 500hp to the wheels safely on low boost.:eek:P

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have owned two blown ls cars (Still have 1)

Turbo technology has come so far and has gotten to the point where it is a ton cheaper than going the blower route....you can size a system that will hit hard at lower rpms.

Turbo's are typically easier on the car and drive train overall.

You will have a hard time putting a tire on that car. 65-65 A Bodies have small factory wheel wells so stuffing something bigger than a 275 is an issue w/o mini tubs. I also think those mostly came with a 10 bolt rear end and a open diff?

I would be doing a single turbo set up on e85.....fairly cheap and 500hp to the wheels safely on low boost.:eek:P

I think it is cheaper slap a blower on and be done on a modern LS car. If LS swapping a car, I think it is cheaper to turbo it, especially a 60s era car with an ample engine bay. All the "generic" LS turbo parts are readily available.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think it is cheaper slap a blower on and be done on a modern LS car. If LS swapping a car, I think it is cheaper to turbo it, especially a 60s era car with an ample engine bay. All the "generic" LS turbo parts are readily available.

I agree....cheap is still gone for an easy to bolt on kit (new maggie or whipple is going to run probably 10K installed with tuning and injectors)

PITA on modern cars and you end up having heat issues or loosing AC....just no room

So much room in the old engine bays of yesteryear.

I would love to do a Huron speed kit on my camaro but I don't need two FI cars...lol

rvrrun

Reaction score
You will have a hard time putting a tire on that car.

I have a plasma and a TIG, it wouldn't be hard at all.

Look for the episode of the roots blown LS that went into the Crusher Camaro at SEMA. If you are dead set on the blower, something like that would be very drivable.

Sorry, episode of Roadkill.

...and oops, it was a tunnel rammed, efi LS. Still sticks through the hood.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Look for the episode of the roots blown LS that went into the Crusher Camaro at SEMA. If you are dead set on the blower, something like that would be very drivable.

I think it was pri?

That was cool but a very expensive combo that you could make way more power both blower and turbos for way less.

Wasn't that a super expensive ls7 from mast or Thompson and it made like 800hp with the blower?

rvrrun

Reaction score
I think it was pri?

That was cool but a very expensive combo that you could make way more power both blower and turbos for way less.

Wasn't that a super expensive ls7 from mast or Thompson and it made like 800hp with the blower?

As I recall, it made near the power of the carb'd and blown big block that came out of it, but I thought it was a roots blown LS so who knows. Did it ever get a blower on the LS? I haven't read Hot Rod in years, and only follow those two on Roadkill. A car making that much power, and probably better mileage than my 283, is pretty cool. I'll watch the episode again and get my facts straight.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
As I recall, it made near the power of the carb'd and blown big block that came out of it, but I thought it was a roots blown LS so who knows. Did it ever get a blower on the LS? I haven't read Hot Rod in years, and only follow those two on Roadkill. A car making that much power, and probably better mileage than my 283, is pretty cool. I'll watch the episode again and get my facts straight.

We might be confusing it with the b15 lsx build that they threw at that million dollar tri 5. I think that was an ls based old school roots blower build?

rvrrun

Reaction score
We might be confusing it with the b15 lsx build that they threw at that million dollar tri 5. I think that was an ls based old school roots blower build?

Could be, I had a Versed & Demerol cocktail yesterday that has my brain a bit Swiss cheesed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think it was pri?

It was some Mast 427 LS3 I thought..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree....cheap is still gone for an easy to bolt on kit (new maggie or whipple is going to run probably 10K installed with tuning and injectors)

PITA on modern cars and you end up having heat issues or loosing AC....just no room

So much room in the old engine bays of yesteryear.

I would love to do a Huron speed kit on my camaro but I don't need two FI cars...lol

I just put a little cam in the camaro, maybe heads, gears and be done.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Well then...

Call Mike and Danny. At the rate they are going, you can probably talk em out the Priceless engine! LoL

:rolleyes:D:p

GET SOME

Reaction score

Its not that easy.. 64-65 chevelles have very small rear fenders. I mini tubed mine and I have a 19x10 rear wheel with a 275 tire. You have to rebuild the rear fenders and cut the pinch seam. You can not even fit your hand in between the fender and tire.

Turbo kits have become pretty cheap for the LS based motors. That's the direction I would be going.