WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Todays episode of "Fun with Fords"

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Giselle, my beater Ranger work truck. Threw a timing belt at the foot of my driveway Sunday coming home after about 100miles of running around town all day; she stalled right as I was throwing her in reverse to back in.

I decided that the correct and only way to fix the timing belt issue is the replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, complete air conditioning system, headlights, tail lights, mud flaps, valve cover gasket, hydraulic valve tensioners, heater hoses, and run the injectors. Im likely to paint the grill as well.

This truck is starting to feel like a B.O.A.T. but for some reason I still love it.
20210804_125750.jpg
20210804_122519.jpg
20210804_104309.jpg
20210804_104227.jpg
20210804_101429.jpg
20210804_122528.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Giselle, my beater Ranger work truck. Threw a timing belt at the foot of my driveway Sunday coming home after about 100miles of running around town all day; she stalled right as I was throwing her in reverse to back in.

I decided that the correct and only way to fix the timing belt issue is the replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, complete air conditioning system, headlights, tail lights, mud flaps, valve cover gasket, hydraulic valve tensioners, heater hoses, and run the injectors. Im likely to paint the grill as well.

This truck is starting to feel like a B.O.A.T. but for some reason I still love it. View attachment 1033569 View attachment 1033570 View attachment 1033571 View attachment 1033572 View attachment 1033573 View attachment 1033574
I'm really glad to hear that you opted to replace the mud flaps. So many people miss that important step when doing a timing belt and then live to regret it. 😁 👍

rrrr

Reaction score
My beater 1999 Camry, which has been bulletproof for over 20 years, needs a new water pump. It's passing coolant through the seal weep hole.

I'm feeling pretty lazy these days, so I called a couple of shops to see what they would charge to replace the timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt. One shop wanted $988, the other $1,240. I can buy the parts for $105. The car is probably worth $3K tops.

Looks like I'll be working on a Camry.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I had an 89 Ranger 2.9 Liter pre-runner as a kid, that truck was bulletproof. One Water pump and a lot of brakes,Glamis,Dez,Mexico,River, it saw it all. I never put a clutch in that thing true story.Sold it @ 120K ish Miles It had 33x12.0 tires on it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I had an 89 Ranger 2.9 Liter pre-runner as a kid, that truck was bulletproof. One Water pump and a lot of brakes,Glamis,Dez,Mexico,River, it saw it all. I never put a clutch in that thing true story.Sold it @ 120K ish Miles It had 33x12.0 tires on it.

Mine has X51,000mi on it. I bought it for $1,200 a year and a half ago.

So far:
New wheels, tires, brakes including calipers, front suspension including bushings, springs, shocks, radiator hoses, ignition module, coil packs, rest of tune up components, clutch, flywheel, transmission.

And now all this 😄

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
What is a hydraulic valve tensioner ? And what does RUN the injectors mean ?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I sold a 2001 ranger on craiglists sunday based on the first call in 5 minutes... I had 3 guys lined up as back up. 2001 v6 with 132K miles. I sold if for $5500, exactly what I paid for it 5 1/2 years ago.... it was my daughters high school and college vehicle.... blew my mind.

The 3rd caller told me it was way underpriced and he would give me 6K to punt on the first appointment. I told him I don't do business that way and the truck was gone with cash in hand about a total of an hour and a half from listing it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My beater 1999 Camry, which has been bulletproof for over 20 years, needs a new water pump. It's passing coolant through the seal weep hole.

I'm feeling pretty lazy these days, so I called a couple of shops to see what they would charge to replace the timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt. One shop wanted $988, the other $1,240. I can buy the parts for $105. The car is probably worth $3K tops.

4cyl? Pull the RF tire and fender liner. 2 hours tops.

I had a guy at Longo, who could do that whole job in 45min. Dude was a machine.

👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
One of my old work trucks was an 88 Ranger 2.9 auto...utility bed. Bought it for 1200 with 75k. At 100k rebuilt the trans and put in a cooler the size of the radiator. At 250ish I sold it to a young plumber just starting out, for 1200$ It towed a pumper kettle for hot mop, many times it would have 2 50gl drums of coatings and my small spray rig, had 20sq of pvc roofing on the rack once...scary AF to drive.

Good truck, flogged the hell out of it. Never left me stranded, and also never allowed me to speed either 😂

69hondo

Reaction score
I am not a Ford guy but them 4cyl rangers are great trucks. Beat the shit out of them and they just keep going. I think its the 8 spark plugs.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Fully undressed. Had to run up to the shop to grab some of my specialty tool to pull the balancer. Now waiting on parts....
20210804_190817.jpg
20210804_195842.jpg

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Fully undressed. Had to run up to the shop to grab some of my specialty tool to pull the balancer. Now waiting on parts.... View attachment 1033766 View attachment 1033767

That doesn’t look fun. Ive had a timing belt new in the box for 2 years ive been pushing off. I think I’d rather set fire to it. My Ranger doesn’t owe me anything. When I bought it, it saved me $200 in fuel a week. Then I totaled it in an accident and insurance gave me twice what I paid for it. BEST truck I’ve ever owned. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherpa

Reaction score
I had to replace 2 external oil lines and an power steering pump on the wife’s 2007 sienna within 6 days of total knee replacement. I could barely get down onto my creeper…. Getting up was news worthy…! Tg for pain pills

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Well it snowballed a little bit, mostly because of me saying, "As long as I'm this far...."

The headlights i chose included a little bit of wiring for the new projector fog lights that are built into the new lenses. I also bought a 6qt Raptor liner kit to do the bed and also the bottom 14inches of the body all the way around.

I pretty much have the engine reassembled as far as Im willing to go to this point because unfortunately my injectors were in worse shape that I was hoping. 2 of them had the drips and I couldn't make them stop. I bought a complete new set but I want to pop the engine off before I completely reassemble all the front end accessories. So at a stopping point until the injectors arrive tomorrow

Gloria's old headlight bulbs found a new home in Giselle's new lenses today. Giselle also has one of Gloria's blue ovals.
20210810_091134.jpg
20210810_122108.jpg
20210810_151223.jpg
20210810_174730.jpg
20210810_205507.jpg
20210810_211606.jpg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

I did the same with my same Nissan traded it in with 189k and original clutch! It was lowered then raised the lowered then turned into a prerunner!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Assuming 4 cylinder, do the oil pump o-ring and shaft seal while you’re in there…and a t-stat. Get the kit from Aisin….it should have most of the components. Those are fun. You need a mirror to set the cam timing through a small hole in the cam pulley.

rrrr

Reaction score
Assuming 4 cylinder, do the oil pump o-ring and shaft seal while you’re in there…and a t-stat. Get the kit from Aisin….it should have most of the components. Those are fun. You need a mirror to set the cam timing through a small hole in the cam pulley.

Did all of that. Placing a timing mark that needs to line up with a hole in the gear that's blocked by the motor mount receiver and strut tower is pretty stupid. The timing marks on the crank belt pulley and block are so fucking small they're almost invisible.

Lining up those marks took at least 30 minutes because I have a hard time getting up and down with my bum knees.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Did all of that. Placing a timing mark that needs to line up with a hole in the gear that's blocked by the motor mount receiver and strut tower is pretty stupid. The timing marks on the crank belt pulley and block are so fucking small they're almost invisible.

Lining up those marks took at least 30 minutes because I have a hard time getting up and down with my bum knees.

Put the belt around the crank pulley and oil pump, then install the lower cover and crank pulley before you deal with the up top shit…then you can see the marks on the timing cover from up top while you’re lining up the cam. This way, you only need to go down below once.

Also, pull the mount off and put a jack under the oil pan…you can move the business end of the engine around about 6”…makes life a lot easier, although the 2 lower mount bracket bolts are kind of a bitch.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Pit crew challenge??!

25 years ago…yeah…woulda been fun.

I drove in my GFs Paseo one Saturday morning when I was off and stole a donut outta the service manager’s office…needed to do a clutch, t-belt, water pump, brakes, etc…

He flagged me down as I drove out 2 hours later and made me rack the car to show him that I did everything already…we didn’t fuck around in that shop. 29 flag hours/day average.

rrrr

Reaction score
Also, pull the mount off and put a jack under the oil pan…you can move the business end of the engine around about 6”…makes life a lot easier, although the 2 lower mount bracket bolts are kind of a bitch.

I did remove the upper motor mount. Those two bolts on the motor face holding on the wishbone piece were a MF'er to remove and replace. It was really tough getting a wrench or socket on the bolts.

When I'm doing a significant repair for the first time, sometimes it goes slow because I don't know what I need to remove to make the job the easiest. For example, I removed the power steering fluid reservoir and the radiator overflow bottle to make access to the engine face easier. As it turned out, I really didn't need to.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I did remove the upper motor mount. Those two bolts on the motor face holding on the wishbone piece were a MF'er to remove and replace. It was really tough getting a wrench or socket on the bolts.

When I'm doing a significant repair for the first time, sometimes it goes slow because I don't know what I need to remove to make the job the easiest. For example, I removed the power steering fluid reservoir and the radiator overflow bottle to make access to the engine face easier. As it turned out, I really didn't need to.

Mine took a hot minute too, it kept snowballing. It wasnt anything major but more along the lines of well that wasn't expected, order and wait for parts.....again. I did ok with only a little over 2 days into it but it got spread out over the course of a week and a half The fuel injectors are what really caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting to have to replace those. Ill tell you though, I feel like I gained about 5-10 hp over where it was before throwing the timing belt from what I can only assume is the new injectors and valve tensioners. 5-10 hp is a shit ton on a 100hp motor lol. It fires right up on half a crank now and just plain hums while at idle. Throttle response going up and coming down has completely changed and is snappier as well. The rpm no longer hangs when you left off and you don't hear the occasional loading up in the exhaust anymore, surprisingly it has the kind of harmonics that drone on at idle now. I had to adjust my footwork for shifting.

Raptor Liner arrived last night. Im thinking Monday is the day. I also added a new muffler to the build sheet haha

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Mine took a hot minute too, it kept snowballing. It was anything major but more along the lines of well that wasn't expected, order and wait for parts.....again. I did ok with only a little over 2 days into it but it got spread out over the course of a week and a half The fuel injectors are what really caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting to have to replace those. Ill tell you though, I feel like I gained about 5-10 hp over where it was before throwing the timing belt from what I can only assume is the new injectors and valve tensioners. 5-10 hp is a shit ton on a 100hp motor lol. It fires right up on half a crank now and just plain hums while at idle. Throttle response going up and coming down has completely changed and is snappier as well. The rpm no longer hangs when you left off and you don't hear the occasional loading up in the exhaust anymore, surprisingly it has the kind of harmonics that drone on at idle now. I had to adjust my footwork for shifting.

Raptor Liner arrived last night. Im thinking Monday is the day. I also added a new muffler to the build sheet haha
Probably the new mud flaps.