WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tohatsu prop question

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the idea of picking up whiteworks mini Daytona. It's propless.

Any idea where I could find an appropriate prop? I assume this thing is good for 30~35 mph. I want a basic aluminum prop of the appropriate pitch, not a 30p labbed cleaver, or something.

1985 12' Mini Daytona - River Dave's Place

Any help or insight with gear ratio, redline, spline count, or whatever would be appreciated. :)

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the idea of picking up whiteworks mini Daytona. It's propless.

Any idea where I could find an appropriate prop? I assume this thing is good for 30~35 mph. I want a basic aluminum prop of the appropriate pitch, not a 30p labbed cleaver, or something.

1985 12' Mini Daytona - River Dave's Place

Any help or insight with gear ratio, redline, spline count, or whatever would be appreciated. :)

Not sure where you live, but I would check with John's Custom Marine in Stanton. Home of Al Stoker.
8437 Katella Ave
Stanton, CA 90680-3214
(714) 827-7920

Shark242

Schiada noob
Reaction score
Tom I have 6 props for that motor, you could try them and buy when you like. You just pay shipping and promise to give them back. Shark

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Tom I have 6 props for that motor, you could try them and buy when you like. You just pay shipping and promise to give them back. Shark

Do you have anything that would work on a 2000 25hp Merc 2 stroke? I have the stock propeller on there now. Its on a 10' Schiada and just curious if there was something that might give a little more top end.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, Shark.

It looks like 1.85:1 gear ratio. I'd guess the top speed to be low 30s. Assuming 15% slip, that suggest 12~13" of pitch.

I would be looking for a cheap aluminum prop. Any idea what a fair price is for such an item?

Shark242

Schiada noob
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a slew of props but I am unsure as to the numbers on each. We have a 10' Addictor with a 50 hp tohatsu. The box of props are larger and smaller than we found to be the sweet one. I have a brand new stock prop that came off the motor. it is a 2009 tohatsu 50. Tomorrow I will go take a look and document the sizes. If you could narrow down what size you are thinking that would help. Shark

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Brown, i used to have a daytona W/ a 50 merc it had a 13 or 14 pitch alu prop and did fine could pull a skier and would go about 35 mph. but was not set up correct but i would sugest hill he has tons of props and has always been very helpful with me. meet you at the lake to test and so on.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Brown, i used to have a daytona W/ a 50 merc it had a 13 or 14 pitch alu prop and did fine could pull a skier and would go about 35 mph. but was not set up correct but i would sugest hill he has tons of props and has always been very helpful with me. meet you at the lake to test and so on.
Tom lives in Canada so meeting at the lake might be a bit of a problem. ;)

to clarify I think you meant Ron hill correct?

RD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Tom lives in Canada so meeting at the lake might be a bit of a problem. ;)

to clarify I think you meant Ron hill correct?

RD

I was gonna suggest Ron Hill myself. He has A LOT of knowledge and experience with just about every kind of outboard. Im not too sure the Stokers have too much experience with the small motors. I know Ron makes props for the small ones and I believe he and his son Chad used to be heavy into racing the small outboards also.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
After reading how Ron Hill conducted himself on Hot Boat and Scream & Fly over the years, I have no interested in doing business with him.

I've been told by someone who used to own a 12' Daytona/40hp Tohatsu, I understand they struggle to get on plane with two adults in the cockpit. Because of this, I'm going to look at undersizing the prop a bit.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
After reading how Ron Hill conducted himself on Hot Boat and Scream & Fly over the years, I have no interested in doing business with him.

I've been told by someone who used to own a 12' Daytona/40hp Tohatsu, I understand they struggle to get on plane with two adults in the cockpit. Because of this, I'm going to look at undersizing the prop a bit.

I was never part of the outboard section or on scream and fly, but Ron hill actually does a shitload for boating and boat racing in particular.

Some people I know had some beef with him but I think they were bitter because a rule didn't favor them in the enduro or something I dunno.

RD

stevel

Reaction score
I had tried to cotact hill about a buying a prop and after many phone calls and leaving messages i never got a call back. It should never be that hard to spend money with a company.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had tried to cotact hill about a buying a prop and after many phone calls and leaving messages i never got a call back. It should never be that hard to spend money with a company.

He was having some problems not too long ago as I recall. If you need to get ahold of him.... I suggest trying his forums site that he has....

www.boatracingfacts.com