WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Took my last drink

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
So I have been trying to kick booze temporarily for years. Then as soon as I quit all I can think about is drinking again when I meet my date or goal and usually fall off before that. Well this time I think is different. I’ve drank like a fish for years my liver and kidneys have got to be suffering. I’m the life of the party when I’m drinking but feel I have been pushing two far the last few years with things I say and do. Saturday night we went to the PBR here in Prescott and I was my usual self, drunk off my ass and the life of the Party mingling with everybody but my wife and friends I came with. Of coure the next morning I got an ear full. Me and my wife have a great marriage and the few little arguments we have ever had have always stemmed from my drinking. After I thought about what she said I decided I’m done. I’m 45 and I just took my last drink at the PBR. Pretty memorable to be able to look back on years from now. Now what to do with all my extra time and money? Lol! I’d say wish me luck but I don’t think I need it. I actually want this this time and for good.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Two very good friends and good people passed away last year from drinking. Have another that if he starts drinking again he won't see December.
I just stick to the Bud 55 or Miller 64 and only on occasions and that's it for the hard stuff. No more hard booze.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
You might want to consider checking out a 12 step meeting (AA) if you find yourself weakening. I’ve seen them do wonders for friends and family members.

Maybe change your name to 7AMsomewhere with a cup of joe as your avatar.:D

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
You might want to consider checking out a 12 step meeting (AA) if you find yourself weakening. I’ve seen them do wonders for friends and family members.

Maybe change your name to 7AMsomewhere with a cup of joe as your avatar.:D

I don’t think I need that. This time around I’m pretty excited that this is for good. I like the name change and avatar idea. Lol!

Bear Down

Reaction score
Great Job recognizing the issue and best of luck to you. I've always been a drinker, but not an everyday drinker more of a binge drinker when the weekend comes or a special occasion (not going to lie, anything was a special occasion at times LOL).. I feel your pain on what being too much fun and the center of the party can do, you just want everyone to have the same good time and share in you fun world (at least for me). My wife is cool as F... She never has bitched or complained, nor am I a super sloppy drunk, but tended to not remember shit after a good night of drinking. What got me to change my habits was one thing, similar but different to yours, it was an event validated with a bunch of smaller little things. My deal was i was coming back from Dodger Games with friends and just drank all effen day, a few times i would get home , ramble and pretend to be somewhat coherent then go to bed. When i would wake up the next morning to go to work, i was like WTF hit me and realized the kids would see me like this. After that, i realized the kids would see me have a cocktail on the table as I was sitting after a rough day, after doing yard work, after drinking 6 beers and switching to liquor because i was bloated from beer. I am a gym rat, so i was at the gym 3- 4 times a week busting ass and with my drinking, came bad eating habits. My gym time was just to burn that crap off and not get me to where i wanted to be, so basically wasting a lot of effort. At 44 Gym just sucks now and i hate wasting my time, so that was another catalyst. What i did, was change my alcohol, i was a strict Capt'n and Diet soda/Soda water or Crown guy...I can go all day and just loved that drink. But now I drink liquor i can deal with but not in love with. enough for a drink or 2 and then my body doesn't crave it anymore. I'll save my favorite cocktails for when i have a dinner with just my wife and I. This has enabled me to not really drink in front of the kids anymore and i am not feeling crummy any longer. Plus my kidneys feel great and my gym time is truly represented on how my physique is now. I avoid triggers like happy hour places or drinking just for the sake of drinking. I also purchased a decent breathalyzer , to show me with real #'s what my BAC was.. What i thought i was just a little buzz, was more like a Cali DUI... After that it just made me more conscious and less self deceptive. Good luck!

Last edited:

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Another little back story to my turning point. We just got my 9 yo daughter a new horse. Saturday morning was her first Gymkahna barrel racing event on her new horse. Morning started out great. We loaded the horse headed to the Gymkhana, stopped by maverick for some breakfast burritos and and 18 pack coors light. Got to the event started drinking around 10am. My daughter had 3 other girls in here class. Sierra placed one second place and two third places. Not bad for a 9 year old who just got into this this year and was on her brand new horse. I had my wife drive home with the horse trailer for the first time she did great. Then off to the PBR All in all a great day but WTF! What if my daughter got hurt or the horse got stupid and I’m all poliluted. Anyway just another realazation that my drinking needed to stop. We are going to have gymkhanas and high school rodeos for at least the next 15 years be cause our 4 yo daughter wants to start also so I need to be there and be coherent.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Good for you. You don’t want there to be that one time you drove when you shouldn’t have and end up with a catostophic result with you killing someone. It’s just not worth it. The penalties for getting popped for a DUI just aren’t worth it - loss of your drivers license, court fees, attorney fees, drunk school fees and attendance, increased insurance costs. That’s if you don’t hit or injure someone. I can’t imagine what the penalties would be if a death was involved.

Good luck with your life change.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I think it’s awesome! I have maybe 1 bottle of wine and share 2 bottles of champagne a year! Haven’t been drunk in decades!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
15566461860501043472319.jpg
:D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So I have been trying to kick booze temporarily for years. Then as soon as I quit all I can think about is drinking again when I meet my date or goal and usually fall off before that. Well this time I think is different. I’ve drank like a fish for years my liver and kidneys have got to be suffering. I’m the life of the party when I’m drinking but feel I have been pushing two far the last few years with things I say and do. Saturday night we went to the PBR here in Prescott and I was my usual self, drunk off my ass and the life of the Party mingling with everybody but my wife and friends I came with. Of coure the next morning I got an ear full. Me and my wife have a great marriage and the few little arguments we have ever had have always stemmed from my drinking. After I thought about what she said I decided I’m done. I’m 45 and I just took my last drink at the PBR. Pretty memorable to be able to look back on years from now. Now what to do with all my extra time and money? Lol! I’d say wish me luck but I don’t think I need it. I actually want this this time and for good.
My last beer was at the boat show with river Dave summit Karl and Andy... when I stopped I was easily saving about 200 bucks a week. Only thing that ever makes me want a beer now is certain songs. Ironically even though all country songs are about beer they don’t make me want to drink. My old music like under ground hip hop reminds me
Of drinking and makes me want to drink. I didn’t start listening to country until maybe 3 or 4 years ago so it’s not tied to drinking for me...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Good for you. You don’t want there to be that one time you drove when you shouldn’t have and end up with a catostophic result with you killing someone. It’s just not worth it. The penalties for getting popped for a DUI just aren’t worth it - loss of your drivers license, court fees, attorney fees, drunk school fees and attendance, increased insurance costs. That’s if you don’t hit or injure someone. I can’t imagine what the penalties would be if a death was involved.

Good luck with your life change.
Not to mention job advancement. My promotion was waiting on my dui to go away. Happy to report I got the expungement paper work last week. I’d say about 45k dollars later... :oops:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Lol! Shit I never thought about that! How about (was5ocklocksomewhere)?

Worked for me.

When it’s time it’s time.
I drink, but gave up drugs.
But I always knew that I would stop one day simply because the only alternatives are jail or death.

It wasn’t some big realization or epiphany. I just figured that I would stop around 40 years old and that’s about when I did.

It’s good that you came to this realization yourself, rather than have the wife force you. It means that the motivation is from within and sincere.
You will find that your time spent on things that you enjoy increases, as does the enjoyment itself.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Good for you. I hope you can keep it up. Nothing wrong with a drink, but excessive and where it starts to affect people around you; there may be an issue.

My wife has had her bouts with drinking but she has been pretty good for the past nine or so years. We really try to just stick to a drink or two on Friday and Sat. I truly can't handle very much my self as I just feel like complete shit the next day, all day if I have more than two cocktails or three or so beers. Plus it's just shitty empty calories.

Good luck and keep us posted.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Better to stop anything when the reason suites you, not when being made to. I used to drink too much...I worked with roofers. Aside from my Pops, they were all drunks. Just what you did, I guess. Never was much into drinking at the river or dunes. The "What Ifs" always stopped me. By that, I mean me hurting someone else, or wrecking my toys...legalities didn't scare me much. Now, I probably get blitzed once a year. A lot cheaper to do so, no tolerance anymore;) My thing with drinking is pretty simple...Don't be an asshole, don't hurt anyone. When those lines get crossed, there's an issue.

As for the money saved...depends on how much you were spending.
Are we talking new Advantage...or new MTI? You got hay burners, so there's always that avenue:rolleyes:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Good for you. People may have enjoyed you being "the life of the party" but most people don't feel good about "that guy"

Most important is what this will do for you - a LOT of good. And you'll no longer be associated with being drunk which is a huge win for you and your family

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I never understood heavy drinking.
I always preferred to smoke a few hits of bud rather than drink in my younger days. That isn’t to say that I didn’t play my part in floating a keg or two at parties!

But drinking in excess can be 2 drinks if it detrimentally affects ones marriage or livelihood.

But there is a BIG difference between chronic alcoholism and drinking in excess.
I have lost many friends and my younger brother to chronic alcoholism.
I watched my brother “come to” in the morning (well, noonish) and literally guzzle an entire 5th of Jose Cuervo, then steal my moms car and head to the crack dealer. Just to get his day started.
He died at 54 YO.

My best friend died at 48 or 49 from diebetic shock due to chronic alcoholism. He had came to Colorado from Alaska to try Directional Drilling.
I let him stay one night in my 5th wheel while I was at work.
I came back to my trailer and he had drank every single drop of booze I had. Like 2 six packs and a partial fifth of Makers, and was checking online to see what time the liquor stores opened.

Debbie liked drinking more than me.
It was a problem at first.

I remember we were in Hawaii and we were having breakfast and I was not happy. She said “what’s wrong?”

I said...”I’d really like to have a few drinks today as we go along, not “go along” as we drink, there’s a difference”.

After that it was better.

wayniac

Reaction score
Congrats… Its been 3 and a half years since I have had too many. It now makes me happy when I see others decide that alcohol isn’t for them anymore too. We have similar stories. I was known as Wasted Wayne to a lot of people. I still carry the nickname Wasted to some…. I had tried to stop before, but always felt like I was missing something and was always kind of scared to be around it. Had the mindset that I certain things related to drinking way to much... the river and desert being a big one for me. A lot of it was how I thought about it. I now drink as much as I want which is none. I choose not to drink so I never miss it.

If your addicted to meth or coke, and you quit, people are always that’s fantastic.. good for you, but when you quit drinking its always.. WHY? What happened, how long??? you must have a had a serious problem… I swear, I think its because people don’t ever want to consider what it does to them, or that they might have a problem. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk or have any questions.

If you read or listen to audio books I cant recommend this book enough.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mind-Discover-Happiness-ebook/dp/B077VTJC8P

https://thisnakedmind.com/blog/

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Just keep the mindset of your decision and you'll stay quit. Had a very good friend who drank night and day. His coffee was Vodka and cranberry. Very successful insurance salesman who let his drinking creep up on him. Then one day he got very sick and rushed to the emergency room. Doc told him quit or die within 6 months. Quit cold turkey and turned his life around.....This guy lived in high end titty bars and had a bunch of outside relationships with many. Ended up with a smart one who had saved her money and they now live outside Tampa and into RE investing. He has taken to other hobbies like Harleys and boats.

Staying sober is easy if you take your living seriously. Physically and mentally. At a weak moment, just stop and look at those kids and you'l be alright.:D

bigdawgmini

Reaction score

Just keep the mindset of your decision and you'll stay quit. Had a very good friend who drank night and day. His coffee was Vodka and cranberry. Very successful insurance salesman who let his drinking creep up on him. Then one day he got very sick and rushed to the emergency room. Doc told him quit or die within 6 months. Quit cold turkey and turned his life around.....This guy lived in high end titty bars and had a bunch of outside relationships with many. Ended up with a smart one who had saved her money and they now live outside Tampa and into RE investing. He has taken to other hobbies like Harleys and boats.

Staying sober is easy if you take your living seriously. Physically and mentally. At a weak moment, just stop and look at those kids and you'l be alright.:D

A lot of great advice and words given here, I quoted Grads and Old Texan because in my humble opinion VERY SOLID ADVICE!!!

I have a similar story and I know what worked for me...most people that know me have no clue as of today I have 31 years, 1 month and 27 days of sober living, but who is counting??? only me...As long as you do this for yourself, you can and will be successful... I know this for a fact:)

Demoman

Reaction score
Congrats… Its been 3 and a half years since I have had too many. It now makes me happy when I see others decide that alcohol isn’t for them anymore too. We have similar stories. I was known as Wasted Wayne to a lot of people. I still carry the nickname Wasted to some…. I had tried to stop before, but always felt like I was missing something and was always kind of scared to be around it. Had the mindset that I certain things related to drinking way to much... the river and desert being a big one for me. A lot of it was how I thought about it. I now drink as much as I want which is none. I choose not to drink so I never miss it.

If your addicted to meth or coke, and you quit, people are always that’s fantastic.. good for you, but when you quit drinking its always.. WHY? What happened, how long??? you must have a had a serious problem… I swear, I think its because people don’t ever want to consider what it does to them, or that they might have a problem. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk or have any questions.

If you read or listen to audio books I cant recommend this book enough.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mind-Discover-Happiness-ebook/dp/B077VTJC8P

https://thisnakedmind.com/blog/

This book is the real deal and will change your life. This book will not only change how you think about drinking but will also change how you feel about stopping. It is truly a game changer.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Another little back story to my turning point. We just got my 9 yo daughter a new horse. Saturday morning was her first Gymkahna barrel racing event on her new horse. Morning started out great. We loaded the horse headed to the Gymkhana, stopped by maverick for some breakfast burritos and and 18 pack coors light. Got to the event started drinking around 10am. My daughter had 3 other girls in here class. Sierra placed one second place and two third places. Not bad for a 9 year old who just got into this this year and was on her brand new horse. I had my wife drive home with the horse trailer for the first time she did great. Then off to the PBR All in all a great day but WTF! What if my daughter got hurt or the horse got stupid and I’m all poliluted. Anyway just another realazation that my drinking needed to stop. We are going to have gymkhanas and high school rodeos for at least the next 15 years be cause our 4 yo daughter wants to start also so I need to be there and be coherent.

Now we know where the extra money is going to go....

Congrats!

C-2

Reaction score
Congrats - I did the same thing at age 38, and mostly for the same reasons - my 3-year old daughter. I too thought "wotif" I need to rush her to the hospital at night?

No 12-step, no court, no intervention, no marital ultimatum. 13-years ago I simply drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again.

About a year later, this hit me like a ton of bricks...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Cliff Notes: Two kinds of people in this world; those who can drink, and those who can't.

I accepted the fact I cannot drink, ever, and moved on.

You can too, LIFE GOES ON :)

Congrats again !

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Very big congrats...stick with it...I quit in ‘92...a six pack can last a year in my fridge...
...But on the other hand...I have found within the last few years... that if I am around fun positive people I have no problem tilting the bottle till the wee hours...seems to only happen a few times a year...(Which I suppose is a good thing at the age of 73)...
...So when is the next big bashathon...lol...

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Congrats - I did the same thing at age 38, and mostly for the same reasons - my 3-year old daughter. I too thought "wotif" I need to rush her to the hospital at night?

No 12-step, no court, no intervention, no marital ultimatum. 13-years ago I simply drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again.

About a year later, this hit me like a ton of bricks...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Cliff Notes: Two kinds of people in this world; those who can drink, and those who can't.

I accepted the fact I cannot drink, ever, and moved on.

You can too, LIFE GOES ON :)

Congrats again !

Similar story, I was 39 in 2001 and wanted to see what life was like without it, been a few years now and it's been better without. Best of luck in your new life 5'o.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the comments. Yep I got this. Looking forward to see how I feel and look in months and years down the road. I’m already way more productive when I get home from work and not even thinking about a drink. I’m also going to check out that book that was mentioned.