WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tool failure

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I got a interesting call from one of my large aerospace customers this morning. he says i bent the hell out of that custom cutter. i ask him to repeat and he says it bent, not broke. the tool was not made by one of my guys but a grinder my customer wanted to use. now he is asking if my grinder can make the tool in 48 hours with an expedite fee. but i thought this was a pretty impressive picture. machine is a SNK CAT50 5 axis gantry. Tool was running fine about half way through the part with full engagement when the brazing on the carbide gave way it stopped cutting but the machine kept feeding. We cant even get the tool out of the holder it spun so hard. thought some of you would get a kick out it.
IMG_4174.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Chinesium?
not sure on what steel, i have a feeling they skipped the proper heat treat to hit the promise date. they had the tool made in 24 hours. the brazing looked really sloppy too, almost like they didnt clean the oil off of the steel and carbide insert first.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Do tool makers and machinists have a "Wall of Shame", or a "Wall of Broken Parts"?
That's high quality fuckery, not the low end stuff I mess up 😂

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Do tool makers and machinists have a "Wall of Shame", or a "Wall of Broken Parts"?
That's high quality fuckery, not the low end stuff I mess up 😂
alot of places have an unoficial one. this place used to years ago, not anymore. when i asked where it went they told me something about the union being afraid to offend someone.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
alot of places have an unoficial one. this place used to years ago, not anymore. when i asked where it went they told me something about the union being afraid to offend someone.
Sometimes, it's a badge of honor...like the first time you strip all the teeth off the pinion gear...
Other times, it's a shameful display of stupidity...a throttle body with butterflies like tacos, from not flipping on the fuel system for the nitrous.

You can learn from them all🤣

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Seems to me properly hardened it would have broke.

Slow the feed rate on the next one although there is going to be someone with steam ears awaiting the completed machined part.

Never easy. (I used to be in the tool and die biz)

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Seems to me properly hardened it would have broke.

Slow the feed rate on the next one although there is going to be someone with steam ears awaiting the completed machined part.

Never easy. (I used to be in the tool and die biz)
the first line you typed, i believe is the issue. if it was done right it would have snapped. they actually bit the bullet today and ordered a indexable slot mill and extended holder for it.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
the first line you typed, i believe is the issue. if it was done right it would have snapped. they actually bit the bullet today and ordered a indexable slot mill and extended holder for it.
Good news. Better off in the long run. This way they can get through the job.

Sucks to loose that holder. You might find someone who can cut it off and wire edm that shank out of there and possibly save the holder. I'm out of touch but seems they are expensive also.

EL PROPO

Reaction score
Good news. Better off in the long run. This way they can get through the job.

Sucks to loose that holder. You might find someone who can cut it off and wire edm that shank out of there and possibly save the holder. I'm out of touch but seems they are expensive also.
cost more then the holders worth . toss it in the trash and order a new one 150 -300 bucks