WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tool Kit Question

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Building out a new tool kit for the sxs and want some input to see if I am leaving anything out.

Metric 1/4 and 3/8 socket set. Will only have overlap of 12 13 and 14 because they are common sizes on my car
3/8 ratchet
1/4 ratchet
associated extensions
Metric torx bit set
Metric hex key set
19mm socket for lug nuts
30mm socket for axle nuts
1/2 drive extendable breaker bar
metric box wrenches
4 in 1 screwdriver
Long reach needle nose pliers (for pulling chunks of belt out of clutch)
adjustable wrench
vice grips
ball peen

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
wire strippers and connections (think rad fans ect.)
duct tape
bailing wire and tool
i have a mini sledge
1/2' to 3/8 adaptor for breaker bar
vice grips
cresent wrench

Meaney77

Reaction score
You have a good start. I would also add the following:

Wire
Knife
Butt connectors
Crimpers
Electrical tape
Safety Wire
Test light
Fuses
Lug wrench
Small scissor jack to lift car
I would also add some misc. nuts and bolts specific to your SxS.
A tube of radiator stop leak
a tube of JB Weld steal putty

Agree on the tool roll comment above, I have 2 tool rolls and 2 cheap Harbor Freight sealable containers on the roof of my car with all of this stuff

Harbor Freight is your friend for all of this stuff.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
car is a wildcat xx.

I already have a bucket boss tool roll that I am planning on using. Good call on some electrical components and bailing wire.

Question on the radiator stop leak, assuming I get it to stop I would then have to refill the car with water to avoid overheating right?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A couple pieces of 2X4 wood for under the jack to stabilize it and/or use as spacers.
Some sort of 1/2 in Breaker bar. I have a collapsible 1/2" drive lug wrench that can be used as a 1/2" breaker bar.
Pair of mechanics gloves
Zip ties of all sizes, maybe even a few of the really long heavy duty type
Extra tie downs or infinite loop straps.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
Add at least one ratchet strap and a plug kit and compressor. I've used my ratchet strap on the top frame bar and had a buddy pull the side of the car off the ground to change a flat. Much easier than pulling out the jack. Save the jack for when you are alone. I also carry a can of sop leak for the small punctures.

Meaney77

Reaction score
car is a wildcat xx.

I already have a bucket boss tool roll that I am planning on using. Good call on some electrical components and bailing wire.

Question on the radiator stop leak, assuming I get it to stop I would then have to refill the car with water to avoid overheating right?
Yes, hopefully you have some waters mixed in with the beers in your coolers.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Yes, hopefully you have some waters mixed in with the beers in your coolers.
I do carry water, but doubt I would have enough to bleed a cooling system. Capacity is 2.5 gallons in this, obviously dependent on how bad the leak is and how quickly it is stopped

DLC

Reaction score
You’ll have to have a big ass cooler for all the beer you’ll drink while working on the car! Then you can then piss in the radiator !! It’s recycling!

just get a good tow strap !

make sure you have spares! Tie rods, rod ends, ball joints, nuts /bolts maybe even an axle

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
circling back to this, got a good amount of the stuff for christmas, going to go buy the rest soon. On the sockets, would you have deep well or shallow? Trying to avoid carrying a bunch of not needed duplicates

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
circling back to this, got a good amount of the stuff for christmas, going to go buy the rest soon. On the sockets, would you have deep well or shallow? Trying to avoid carrying a bunch of not needed duplicates
Shallow works for most things but test it. Where will you need a deep socket?

grumpy88

Reaction score
And now that you have everything you need , to finish it off you just need a chase truck with a second sxs .

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
A good thing to do is use your tool kit to work on your car to make sure you have what’s needed in the tool kit.

I found a link for all the tools needed to wrench on a can am, you might find something like that for your car.

cordless impact for lug nuts is one of the best tools to carry and it will no doubt be the most used! Get the adapter from 1/2 to 3/8 or 3/8 to 1/2

also
cordless inflator and a plug kit - try to get all the same brand, I used red m 12 & 18

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I only try to carry tools that I use to normally work on my rzr.
Nobody said 10mm socket lol
Spark plugs and socket
You're only going to be able to do so much out in the field.
I have a tire inflator but they can only do so much especially if you pop a bead.
I also carry slime and CO2 cartridges. Use a rope as a tourniquet to put around tire to help seal the bead.
Or carry a spare lol

HotRod82

Reaction score
I have a big tool kit and a small tool kit. If I'm in the dunes or on a short ride around camp I carry very little. If I'm headed off on a long excursion in Mexico or whatever, I carry the big kit. The best item to carry is a good pair of walking shoes if you are out on your own......

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I got the prp tool bag for Christmas and it seems like it has almost everything you would need