WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toon speed????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So back to Cactus I went....first thing I did was drop my shorts and grab my ankels… at that time my wallet dropped on the floor...Scott was like a prostate doctor, the deal was fast and pretty much painless...so I got r done... ended up with pretty much the same boat, only this one has rear loungers,... and is 3' shorter...it's the 230 model, still the honda 250 hp, tri toon, 60 gal fuel tank and triple axel extreme trailer...oh, and both toons have full 10 yr warranty's

outboardrick

Reaction score
Steve, just an FYI on some of your testing..... If you have a prop that seems to slip too much, take it to Richard at Skips Prop Shop and ask him to pound a bunch of trailing edge cup into it and then try it again. Heavy boats that don't glide well need a prop that's different than a normal boat.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Oh, and slip numbers are pretty irrelevant.... Unless you have a pitch gauge and know the EXACT pitch of your prop you're entering numbers that don't matter. Many props are progressive pitch and the math doesn't work well. I've found that if I think a prop is slipping, I add some cup. If speed goes up, the prop was slipping, if it doesn't then it wasn't and I go from there.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Oh, and slip numbers are pretty irrelevant.... Unless you have a pitch gauge and know the EXACT pitch of your prop you're entering numbers that don't matter. Many props are progressive pitch and the math doesn't work well. I've found that if I think a prop is slipping, I add some cup. If speed goes up, the prop was slipping, if it doesn't then it wasn't and I go from there.
I've been propping boats for 50 sumthing years,.. but all ways wanna learn.... pontoons like a big wheel, outboard like small,... pretty sure it blowing out the prop when it jumps 1500 rpms when you stuff the stick....I've got 4 blade, 15p,17p and 19p full cup props coming,,, shipped and supposed to deliver next week...thanks for posting,..

outboardrick

Reaction score
Steve, I have too... Not questioning your experience, just adding suggestions. If it slips when you add power it's most likely too high. But always test height and cup in your props.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve, I have too... Not questioning your experience, just adding suggestions. If it slips when you add power it's most likely too high. But always test height and cup in your props.
any and all input is welcome

outboardrick

Reaction score
I've always been a tuner, and now I love making slow boats go as fast as they can :)

outboardrick

Reaction score
I've always been a tuner, and now I love making slow boats go as fast as they can :)
I mistakingly put a GPS speedo in my pontoon just so I know how exactly slow it goes :)
But it's fun to squeeze out an extra 1mph by doing something.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I mistakingly put a GPS speedo in my pontoon just so I know how exactly slow it goes :)
But it's fun to squeeze out an extra 1mph by doing something.
I did the 4 blade swap... it goes slow faster....:D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
so reading ,I come up with anything around 45 mph in a toon is good... and to be able to cruise 35 mph , not on pin????

outboardrick

Reaction score
I did the 4 blade swap... it goes slow faster....:D
I could never find a good 4 blade in a small enough pitch. 15-17" was always the sweet spot for the boats I had and the 3 blade Mirage always worked best.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I could never find a good 4 blade in a small enough pitch. 15-17" was always the sweet spot for the boats I had and the 3 blade Mirage always worked best.
solas makes them, I bought a 15,17, &19p....14 1/4 diameter ...

outboardrick

Reaction score
solas makes them, I bought a 15,17, &19p....14 1/4 diameter ...
Yes, 14 1/4 is a bit small, I think the Mirage is 15 or 15 1/4 diameter. I'm not sure how the Solas measures up as far as performance.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Yes, 14 1/4 is a bit small, I think the Mirage is 15 or 15 1/4 diameter. I'm not sure how the Solas measures up as far as performance.

The new Mercury Rev 4 XP starts at 13p and 14.63”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outboardrick

Reaction score
The new Mercury Rev 4 XP starts at 13p and 14.63”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be a nice possibility. I tried a Rev 4 once and wasn't impressed. I had a 15 or 17 High 5 that worked surprisingly well!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Hondas come with a 14 1/4'' diameter props,... with the added blade I picked up 8 mph at 4000 rpms, and still was able to spin to 5800.... the Hondas aren't gonna like big diameter props, the prop shaft is only 1''. diameter takes away torque, like putting 44'' tires on a truck.... the extra blade is like going to a wide tire for traction

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the Evinrude has a 1 1/4 prop shaft, they come with 15'' diameter props.... the added blade should make up for dropping to 14 1/4 diameter.... what I'm gonna try first is going up to a 14 1/4''x 19p 4 blade.... it has a 15x 17p 3blade.. the Evinrude will run 54 mph unloaded and cruised 50 loaded with 4 people

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We have been using the 17 pitch ballistic props. The Toons really like the largest diameter prop I can find and about 17 pitch.
that's awesome...4 people on board, on rev limit of 6400 rpms...and only 1% slip!!!

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I will be looking for a toon in the next year. I do not care about going fast in a pontoon. What I would like to know is what size motor will it take to pull skiers and tubes? The people being towed will probably be less than 200lb's. Mostly grand kids. Would like a 22 Ft. or around that length. Would a 115 hp make me happy?

DLC

Reaction score
A 115 will do it but when you have coolers & Family / friends on board and your headed up or down river your going to be going slow - meaning a lot of time to arrive at your spot.

I would look for at least a 150.

Going faster isn’t necessarily for speed it is the TIME it takes to get someplace. To travel to get to your spot may take an hour or hour and a half each way so you could be spending 2-3 hours traveling.

I would rent one to try out before you buy to make sure its right for you.

Last edited:

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I will be looking for a toon in the next year. I do not care about going fast in a pontoon. What I would like to know is what size motor will it take to pull skiers and tubes? The people being towed will probably be less than 200lb's. Mostly grand kids. Would like a 22 Ft. or around that length. Would a 115 hp make me happy?

I rented one of those small toons with a 115 from the channel in havasu one time. You could pull a tube but I doubt you could pull a 200 pound skier when you have the boat loaded with family and stuff. What is your budget range? There are always some nice gently used toons out there also for good prices. I would get at least a 150 or 200 motor.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
All toons aren't created equal as you'll see reading some of these threads here
115 hp might work fine on one and not another
We bought a nice used 23' with a 150hp and it works for us. Haven't pulled any tubes or anything but it planes instantly and it may be in part to having the waveglider package.
We like to cruise 20 to 25 mph and it does it effortlessly. Top speed is 35 and 30 with 8 people and full load.
Other great thing with the 150 is it sips gas.
BTW, it may be up for sale soon.:)
We weren't sure if we would like the toon life and now looking for new with more hp and selling the speed boat

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
A 115 will do it but when you have coolers & Family / friends on board and your headed up or down river your going to be going slow - meaning a lot of time to arrive at your spot.

I would look for at least a 150.

Going faster isn’t necessarily for speed it is the TIME it takes to get someplace. To travel to get to your spot may take an hour or hour and a half each way so you could be spending 2-3 hours traveling.

I would rent one to try out before you buy to make sure its right for you.

Thank you. We are going to Lake Marion on Wednesday for a week and will rent one.

Reactions: DLC

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I rented one of those small toons with a 115 from the channel in havasu one time. You could pull a tube but I doubt you could pull a 200 pound skier when you have the boat loaded with family and stuff. What is your budget range? There are always some nice gently used toons out there also for good prices. I would get at least a 150 or 200 motor.

We really haven't set a budget. We aren't the type to need a 60K pontoon, but haven't really looked yet. Who knows my wife may fall in love with a 60K boat and then we all know what happens at that point. LOL

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
All toons aren't created equal as you'll see reading some of these threads here
115 hp might work fine on one and not another
We bought a nice used 23' with a 150hp and it works for us. Haven't pulled any tubes or anything but it planes instantly and it may be in part to having the waveglider package.
We like to cruise 20 to 25 mph and it does it effortlessly. Top speed is 35 and 30 with 8 people and full load.
Other great thing with the 150 is it sips gas.
BTW, it may be up for sale soon.:)
We weren't sure if we would like the toon life and now looking for new with more hp and selling the speed boat

Now you are talking to my frugal side. Sips gas.

Would be interested in what you have. I am not in a hurry. Haven't even decided which lake we will buy on. In the next month we will be on Lake Marion SC, Lake Cumberland, Lake Kentucky and Lake Barcley. We may check out Lake Lanier as well.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
We really haven't set a budget. We aren't the type to need a 60K pontoon, but haven't really looked yet. Who knows my wife may fall in love with a 60K boat and then we all know what happens at that point. LOL

You could always rent one like I did or demo some new ones in that size range and see if that engine combo meets your needs. I'm pretty sure if you want to have a nice group of family and friends along and do all the water activities you would want a slightly stronger engine.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You could always rent one like I did or demo some new ones in that size range and see if that engine combo meets your needs. I'm pretty sure if you want to have a nice group of family and friends along and do all the water activities you would want a slightly stronger engine.

Good idea. Thanks. I didn't think about renting different boats with different engine sizes, We talked about it yesterday and decided to rent one at each lake that we go to.(except when our friends have a boat). This will help us get a feel for the lake.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
lost lots of top end this weekend, still ran a good 52mph. the havasu heat took an estimated 5-700rpm away. Tells me I have some room to try another prop this coming off season :)