WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toon speed????

fishing fool

Reaction score
What size outboard is needed to push a toon 30mph????
Yes I know size and weight are a factor but I just want to know let's say a 90, 150 or 200+ is needed.

HavaToon

Reaction score
150 minimum for a normal size 24-25 and that boat better have lifting strakes or it's not getting to 30mph. BTW that 150 is set on kill to do this.

Checkmate21

Reaction score
My 24' Suntracker tritoon with a 150 4 stroke Merc goes 26-27 mph at Big Bear Lake. The elevation is 6750'. At normal elevation like Castiac, river etc, I am sure it would run around 35mph. Mercury's boat test claim 38mph in salt water. I don't know what this thing runs on, but, it sure does not use hardly any gas! 150 4 stroke Mercs are a great motor.

RiverCruiser

Reaction score
MY 26ft Playcraft tritoon has hit a best of 41mph going down river in Parker. Usually tops out at 38mph wide open. I have a Mercury 200hp 2-stroke.

warlock250

Reaction score
Most of my 23' full Tritoons not the 2.75 toons will run 38 mph and 50hp more will hit 41 to 42.
My Berkshire 23 rear lounger with a 350 Mercury Verado hits 58 with 2 to 4 people on board.

DLC

Reaction score
Most of my 23' full Tritoons not the 2.75 toons will run 38 mph and 50hp more will hit 41 to 42.
My Berkshire 23 rear lounger with a 350 Mercury Verado hits 58 with 2 to 4 people on board.

What pitch prop are you using to hit 58 and what rpm does it run at?

Just curious

Thanks
DLC

warlock250

Reaction score

Just curious

Thanks
DLC
We have been using the 17 pitch ballistic props. The Toons really like the largest diameter prop I can find and about 17 pitch.

warlock250

Reaction score

Just curious

Thanks
DLC
I forget the RPM at this moment I will look it up I have it somewhere.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
I seriously don't see the fascination with toon speeds. Mine is capable of 48 or so, but I'm most happiest at 26mph.
There is no such thing as a fast/family toon, nor should there be. Wait until someone stuffs one. It won't be pretty.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I seriously don't see the fascination with toon speeds. Mine is capable of 48 or so, but I'm most happiest at 26mph.
There is no such thing as a fast/family toon, nor should there be. Wait until someone stuffs one. It won't be pretty.

Don't be a hater![emoji16]

fishing fool

Reaction score
It's not about speed rather how long will it take to get anywhere.
Don't want to go to the springs at 15mph, when 30-35mph is not fast but cuts the drive time in half.

yz450mm

Reaction score
It's not about speed rather how long will it take to get anywhere.
Don't want to go to the springs at 15mph, when 30-35mph is not fast but cuts the drive time in half.
Yep, exactly. With a top speed of 19, my toon will live the rest of its life in Parker... Trying to get from point A to point B in Havasu at 19 miles an hour is not all that fun.

warlock250

Reaction score
This one doesn't take long to get anywhere. And it's as safe as can be even at 77 mph.
c854353ebc8ee24f04f360495c4184e4.jpg
17fe8af98322d7b2f69692f3e7d974ce.jpg
1400261a17c79cf3ee0f0917afb4387f.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
Here's a few more pictures
8b5a57aaece9d046984110456280b181.jpg
e56e0a3176b3825e903e62242f8207e3.jpg

That boat is just plan bad ass! Love it!

How do the windshields do? Do they block or deflect a bunch of the wind, buffer some of the wind noise?

I have a 350 Verado on my 24 ft Crest and it is so quiet, but didn't realize the wind is so noisy and in your face so to speak when your going over 40.

warlock250

Reaction score
That boat is just plan bad ass! Love it!

How do the windshields do? Do they block or deflect a bunch of the wind, buffer some of the wind noise?

I have a 350 Verado on my 24 ft Crest and it is so quiet, but didn't realize the wind is so noisy and in your face so to speak when your going over 40.
Thanks, yeah the windshields do cut back alot of the wind. At 70 plus it's still in your face unless you sit really low. [emoji6]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

I concur, they are just not built to be high speed performance boats. Single OB or small block I/O works perfect up to almost 50 with 30-35 cruise speed.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Our 24' pontoon was equipped with a Merc 115, and topped out at 26mph. No lifting strikes or center toon, although I always wanted to add them.

warlock250

Reaction score
I concur, they are just not built to be high speed performance boats. Single OB or small block I/O works perfect up to almost 50 with 30-35 cruise speed.
I will have to disagree with you all who think there not tough and strong.
The Berkshire by Forest River Marine is tested beyond anything a lake will ever toss at it especially little lakes like Havasu.
They torture test out on lake Michigan and let me say it can be a rough ass bitch.
Then after jumping and jumping them they get torn down and closely inspected for and failures. So far no issues. They are built with alot more Reinforced structures when going with the larger Hp motors.
All through bolted and welded spots. Nothing ever moves around.
9fde8b5db027d7c925d009da80fc3e44.jpg
4d746ab57eb4446ff3f36de1466928d8.jpg
be126158cb228171dadfd5c0ae4ddfaa.jpg
624850e6b9ee3b5bef79a373898a31c0.jpg
d004f578b6fb27dd9d091977c97f4516.jpg

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Cool pics showing a lot of aluminum and how they are constructed. I am sure as far as toons go they are built very strong with attention to detail but the simple facts lie in aquadynamics and hydrodynamics. My skateboard will go 80mph if I get going down a hill steep enough. Doesn't mean the board was made for that purpose at all. An Eliminator 28 speedster will go 120 with twin 400's and be stable as a rock. It is a high performance boat designed for those speeds. Toons are just not inherently designed to be going at high speed on the water. Yes if you put enough HP on the back and get going in a straight line on clean water, you can get 70, 80, 90 even over 100mph in a toon but it is just a matter of time before the design (3 big tubes) leads to a catastrophic accident.

Dalton

Reaction score

my parents rented one and going to pirates and back was pretty much an all day thing

warlock250

Reaction score
Cool pics showing a lot of aluminum and how they are constructed. I am sure as far as toons go they are built very strong with attention to detail but the simple facts lie in aquadynamics and hydrodynamics. My skateboard will go 80mph if I get going down a hill steep enough. Doesn't mean the board was made for that purpose at all. An Eliminator 28 speedster will go 120 with twin 400's and be stable as a rock. It is a high performance boat designed for those speeds. Toons are just not inherently designed to be going at high speed on the water. Yes if you put enough HP on the back and get going in a straight line on clean water, you can get 70, 80, 90 even over 100mph in a toon but it is just a matter of time before the design (3 big tubes) leads to a catastrophic accident.
So you know all this fascinating stuff how. You have how much experience with them?
You base your ideas on some vision in your head. We have a few customers back in the Midwest with Triple Tuned up Mercs that run about 114 mph and he has been running that Toon hard for many years and hasn't had any of the issues you envision. Once again depending on how nasty the lake may get you need to operate your craft with caution and common sense. Do you take your lake boat out to the ocean and drive it pinned everywhere you go cause I'm sure your west coast lake boat would come apart.
The Tritoon handles very well at speed and turns fine at speed. It's like driving a catamaran if you have ever driven one of those. Only so much steering available or usable at high speeds. Like any boat use common sense. Time had already shown that the Tritoons are super safe.

MrMayhem

Reaction score

Agree 100%. If you want to go fast, buy a tunnel. Toons are cruisers. And soooo much fun.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
So you know all this fascinating stuff how. You have how much experience with them?
You base your ideas on some vision in your head. We have a few customers back in the Midwest with Triple Tuned up Mercs that run about 114 mph and he has been running that Toon hard for many years and hasn't had any of the issues you envision. Once again depending on how nasty the lake may get you need to operate your craft with caution and common sense. Do you take your lake boat out to the ocean and drive it pinned everywhere you go cause I'm sure your west coast lake boat would come apart.
The Tritoon handles very well at speed and turns fine at speed. It's like driving a catamaran if you have ever driven one of those. Only so much steering available or usable at high speeds. Like any boat use common sense. Time had already shown that the Tritoons are super safe.

Here are a few of my past boats and NO Laveycrafts (West Coast Boat) don't come apart in the ocean :thumbsup

Attachments

• 100_0918.jpg
    100_0918.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 100_0905.jpg
    100_0905.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Picture%20048.jpg
    Picture%20048.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Picture%20052.jpg
    Picture%20052.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 430

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

Here is a few quotes found from an online article from your friend Rowland with the fastest pontoon on the water:

He almost went over at the 2012 Shootout but pulled it down at the last moment. ?We have never flipped and we don?t talk about that,? he said.

?When you go over 100 mph in a pontoon it gets tricky and you are taking your own life into your hands,? Gouty said. ?I have worked in a rescue boat and I have picked up racers out of the water after a crash and it seems 100 mph is the magic number for a Cat or a pontoon.?

?But I love speed,? he continued. ?I have flipped a couple of times, once in a little boat, and once when a jet boat turned sideways and it threw me out of the boat. It will put the fear of God in you. Things happen when you get to going fast. I?ve been pulled out of the water three times by a rescue boat, but luck was on my side and I?ve never been hurt. The wind is violent on any exposed part at 100 mph in a pontoon.?

?We?re getting to the point where we?re getting so high up in speeds, who knows what will happen,? Rowland mused.

“When Ken started getting close, I had to figure out a way to go faster,” Rowland said. “Ken has an inboard and can do a lot more than I can so I had a wild idea to add the third motor. It was a no-brainer that it would go faster, even though a lot of guys said the weight would slow it down. Pontoons just are not that aerodynamic — you’re basically pushing a box down the water — and mine is fully loaded with everything from a stereo to sinks.”

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Good looking boats!

Thanks but I actually enjoy cruising the toon now way more with the family. If I had the money I would have a second (high performance) boat to take out when I felt like it as well but no lotto winner here

warlock250

Reaction score
Yeah. He has a 23' foot boat and it's got really hot motors and he is pushing it hard obviously. You still can't speak about how one handles.
So I guess along your lines of thinking do you take your cat to Catalina and back at full speed. Do you make drastic turns at speed on the lake. The west coast boats are good for the lakes but they don't last long when beat off shore. I have plenty of experience and have seen what can happen with a west coast build being used off shore.
Like I said before common sense driving is needed for all styles of boats. And there is nothing dangerously about these Tritoons. The only danger thing is dumb drivers. That don't know what they are doing. Happens all the time so I guess we should blame the boats for the crashes.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah you are right West Cost boats cant race offshore :rolleyes

Attachments

• 1343334970laveycraft_WP_Gallery.jpg
    1343334970laveycraft_WP_Gallery.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 410

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah. He has a 23' foot boat and it's got really hot motors and he is pushing it hard obviously. You still can't speak about how one handles.
So I guess along your lines of thinking do you take your cat to Catalina and back at full speed. Do you make drastic turns at speed on the lake. The west coast boats are good for the lakes but they don't last long when beat off shore. I have plenty of experience and have seen what can happen with a west coast build being used off shore.
Like I said before common sense driving is needed for all styles of boats. And there is nothing dangerously about these Tritoons. The only danger thing is dumb drivers. That don't know what they are doing. Happens all the time so I guess we should blame the boats for the crashes.

So the quotes from the very experienced high speed pontoon boat owners above mean nothing to you? Do you honestly think a 23 foot pontoon going 100 is as safe as a 28 foot Eliminator speedster going 100 with the same driver at the helm? The quote from the guy above pushing his toon over 100 saying " you are taking your life in your own hands" is pretty clear. 30 plus years of boating experience in a variety of different boats with the last year being in a toon. I may not be an expert in all areas but certainly knowledgeable to some degree with boats and certainly got enough common sense to foresee an accident waiting for a place to happen going high speed in a toon.

warlock250

Reaction score
Yeah you are right West Cost boats cant race offshore :rolleyes
Your boats a lake boat. They can build a specific boat for racing sure. But your Boat is a Typical west coast lake boat. A few seasons of running it off shore on the east coast as a pleasure boat and that Lavey you owned would come apart. Pretty much how it is. Sorry you don't like it but it's the truth. [emoji90]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Your boats a lake boat. They can build a specific boat for racing sure. But your Boat is a Typical west coast lake boat. A few seasons of running it off shore on the east coast as a pleasure boat and that Lavey you owned would come apart. Pretty much how it is. Sorry you don't like it but it's the truth. [emoji90]

LOL, you are obviously very uninformed about certain west coast boats and their offshore capability.

warlock250

Reaction score
LOL, you are obviously very uninformed about certain west coast boats and their offshore capability.
I live here on the west coast and have 40 years experience with West coast lake boats and I'm in the marine industry and have owned and operated many many many boats of all makes and styles so I think Im a little bit in tune with what's what sir. You started talking BS and this is where it's gone. Your Boat is at home on a river or a lake and that's nothing to be ashamed of or to get upset about.
I have seen what happens to lake boats that get used offshore just a little bit and they don't like it.
No big deal they are what they are.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I live here on the west coast and have 40 years experience with West coast lake boats and I'm in the marine industry and have owned and operated many many many boats of all makes and styles so I think Im a little bit in tune with what's what sir. You started talking BS and this is where it's gone. Your Boat is at home on a river or a lake and that's nothing to be ashamed of or to get upset about.
I have seen what happens to lake boats that get used offshore just a little bit and they don't like it.
No big deal they are what they are.

Sorry but you are ignorant on many levels. Laveycraft boats are built for lakes or ocean use. Uncle Dave (RDP member) uses his 2750 almost exclusively in the ocean for multiple years now with several dozen trips back and forth to Catalina and I am sure he could attest to the ocean rigging capability of Laveycraft. Now I will say that most West Coast boat are built for lakes and not the ocean as a general practice with some exceptions.

I actually bought my big Lavecraft V bottom from an East Coast dealer (on the ocean) in North Carolina. So not even a "real" West Coast boat...lol

I presented factual quotes from your alleged boating friends with their 100 mile pontoons saying "they were taking their life into their hands" at those speeds and you sit here with your 40 years of boating experience and say that 100 mile pontoons are safe and fun to drive equivalent to a high performance boat. What exactly do you do in the marine industry? You are a little toon dealer in Havasu with boats sitting on the ground in the parking lot of Walmart? Enlighten us with your vast marine industry experience.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
[video=youtube;AW4rbJD3VZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW4rbJD3VZI[/video]

Just a lake boat :rolleyes

warlock250

Reaction score

30 plus years of Boat buisness and Boating personally since I was 8 years old and put behind the wheel. Owned more fast lake boats than you.
I don't need to listen to you and your quotes. I can sit around and search quotes all day long. Everyone knows your boat is a lake boat thats just fine for what it is. That blue boat you like to fall back on is that your boat.
I have to prove nothing to you Lmao. Take your boat to lake Michigan or the east coast and let's see how well it does. You won't find one out there or the Ozarks or Miami. Or Jersey. Your the ignorant one. So have a nice day. I have better things to do than listen to ignorance express itself. [emoji6] peace out.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Kids!!! This is Toon Town. Let's all relax and have a good time. No need to bash each other. All of us here come for entertainment and some knowledge. I take it all with a grain of salt.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Kids!!! This is Toon Town. Let's all relax and have a good time. No need to bash each other. All of us here come for entertainment and some knowledge. I take it all with a grain of salt.

Haha, it might take us an hour to get to the Springs for breakfast but we get there with a smile :thumbsup

MrMayhem

Reaction score
And plenty of beverage stops!!!

FYI. I think my Avalon is almost identical to yours.
IMG_3213.jpg

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
My Premiere 24' TriToon with a Honda 150 has seen 33 with the Bimini down, just me 1/4 fuel and a perfectly clean bottom. I typically cruise around 24-26 but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a 225-250 (500lb motor) so I can comfortably cruise around 32-35 with gusts to 48-50......for me that will be the most comfortable.

If I was buying now I'd look for the best overall package that will cruise at these speeds.......I thought I wouldn't mind going 20 all the time but after 6 years I am ready for more!!

warlock250

Reaction score

Lol, you can belittle me and what I do which is fine. I have 2 stores and getting Havasu up and running is fun. Just a little Toon dealer with boats in a parking lot. Thanks. You forgot to mention the 15,000 Sq ft of indoor showroom in the air conditioning. You Sir could not even carry my Electric Bills let alone the Rent. Hehehe. And soon to be expanded. Hmmm. Try some of that all on. [emoji3] [emoji6]

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
30 plus years of Boat buisness and Boating personally since I was 8 years old and put behind the wheel. Owned more fast lake boats than you.
I don't need to listen to you and your quotes. I can sit around and search quotes all day long. Everyone knows your boat is a lake boat thats just fine for what it is. That blue boat you like to fall back on is that your boat.
I have to prove nothing to you Lmao. Take your boat to lake Michigan or the east coast and let's see how well it does. You won't find one out there or the Ozarks or Miami. Or Jersey. Your the ignorant one. So have a nice day. I have better things to do than listen to ignorance express itself. [emoji6] peace out.

Utter nonsense.

Lavey has an awesome SVL offshore record.

Factory 1 Champs in 04, World Champions in 06 if I recall.
One season their SVL boat won every race.

That same boat is still winning races and won best in class in the GLOC shootout last week.

UD

Dalton

Reaction score

laveys are super strong and quite underrated in my opinion, the boat is made from a few large pieces instead of a lot of small ones, no rattles, as soon as you open the hatch you can tell they are on another level, again, a very underrated boat. My commander, yes absolutely it would come apart in the ocean, I think its going to come apart on havasu at times, but talking about Lavey, I disagree that they would come apart.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
My Premiere 24' TriToon with a Honda 150 has seen 33 with the Bimini down, just me 1/4 fuel and a perfectly clean bottom. I typically cruise around 24-26 but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a 225-250 (500lb motor) so I can comfortably cruise around 32-35 with gusts to 48-50......for me that will be the most comfortable.

If I was buying now I'd look for the best overall package that will cruise at these speeds.......I thought I wouldn't mind going 20 all the time but after 6 years I am ready for more!!

Yeah that would probably be a tad on the slow side. You will be happier with the 250 and having the 32-25 cruise speed for sure.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Utter nonsense.

Lavey has an awesome SVL offshore record.

Factory 1 Champs in 04, World Champions in 06 if I recall.
One season their SVL boat won every race.

That same boat is still winning races and won best in class in the GLOC shootout last week.

UD

didn't know that boat was still racing....very cool

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Lol, you can belittle me and what I do which is fine. I have 2 stores and getting Havasu up and running is fun. Just a little Toon dealer with boats in a parking lot. Thanks. You forgot to mention the 15,000 Sq ft of indoor showroom in the air conditioning. You Sir could not even carry my Electric Bills let alone the Rent. Hehehe. And soon to be expanded. Hmmm. Try some of that all on. [emoji3] [emoji6]

If I was you then I would set the AC at 78 and put some carpet under those toons. Leaving them just laying on the flat asphalt parking lot is straight up hillbilly and will not draw you in many customers.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
didn't know that boat was still racing....very cool

Yup same boat that ran in 10 footers and won in puerto Rico- rock solid. Ran 97 with a Na 565 in the 2/3 mile

All the Big V's are 24 degrees and fully interlined.

UD