WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toons: Avalon vs Playcraft

baja-chris

Reaction score
Here is a 400r powered Playcraft for $130k. Looks like a 400r powered Avalon is going to run me $160k.
Any opinions on this, reason for $30k higher on Avalon? Or am I pricing the wrong models? Would like 400r performance toon.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Meaning quality (like they fall apart?) or colors/layouts? It did not look bad (to me) in photos, but I have not seen in person yet.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Here is a 400r powered Playcraft for $130k. Looks like a 400r powered Avalon is going to run me $160k.
Any opinions on this, reason for $30k higher on Avalon? Or am I pricing the wrong models? Would like 400r performance toon.

Rumor is many have passed on that Playcraft for the colors. It’s been there over 3 months
Avalon’s and Forest River stuff looks more modern and is in higher demand, hence the price.

There was an orange/white Playcraft with a 400 Merc for sale private party last Sat on Mcculloch just before marina entrance. Hooked Up to a white suv

One2go

Reaction score
Not sure if the playcraft still does the exposed metal on sides but that is so old looking.The one at Horizon you linked does. I have a 15 Avalon and they had done away with that. Even took Bennington tell recently to get ride of the exposed rail metal.

PlanB

Reaction score
I can’t get past the play craft interiors (in the past).. looks like they are doing better on the new ones.. a lot better than the old checkered flags etc..

Yep, their interiors look exactly the same as they did in 05 when we were shopping for our first toon.

PlanB

Reaction score
Not sure if the playcraft still does the exposed metal on sides but that is so old looking.The one at Horizon you linked does. I have a 15 Avalon and they had done away with that. Even took Bennington tell recently to get ride of the exposed rail metal.

Actually, Bennington went back to it (depending on the model). I had an 05 R series and currently have a 14 R series. The 05 did not have exposed rail and the 14 does. I think the exposed rail looks better, but it more of a pain in the ass to wipe down.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Not sure on the Playcraft but there are 4 classes of Avalon; Catalina, Catalina Premium, Ambassador, and Excalibur.
Big difference between them on price

Reactions: DWC

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I was just discussing that with my wife. We like the smooth look of Avalon
That Playcraft looks like a sun tracker
Maybe it doesn't make a difference but they don't look like actual pontoon tubes.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I can’t get past the play craft interiors (in the past).. looks like they are doing better on the new ones.. a lot better than the old checkered flags etc..
I heard you mention a twin engine is in your future.
What brand are you going for once the garage sale is complete?

sirbob

Reaction score
Not sure on the Playcraft but there are 4 classes of Avalon; Catalina, Catalina Premium, Ambassador, and Excalibur.
Big difference between them on price

It depends on the line - some are labeled with a letter number combo - then you move up to Catalina and Catalina Platinum/ the Ambassador has been discontinued/ then the Excalibur.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
The Avalon’s have gone through the roof on pricing. The one we ordered in January, 2018 was an Excalibur with every option and a Single 400, sitting on a triple axle Extreme trailer with several options (Custom wheels, stainless fenders, LED lights, fold-away tongue) for 120k. If they are now asking 160k for that boat it seems pretty high. Supply and demand I guess.

160k is twin territory for an Avalon.

I’m with RD on the play craft interiors, extremely dated. Nice boats but for the same damn price you can get yourself a similarly equipped Avalon.

My 2021 27ft Excalibur, 400r, triple axle trailer, custom wheels, led lights, loading lights, folding tongue, full bimini with no tower was the same price that play craft. Just sayin.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I agree it seems like Playcraft got left behind in styling, inside and out, but the smoothest riding pontoons I've every ridden on in rough water were Playcraft. Maybe it's the U shaped logs I'm not sure.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Playcraft based their boats off of performance. At the time they had it ,now everyone has caught or surpassed and they need to update the the whole boat.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Just step back for a second and look at the original post. Anyone see this 3 years ago? aluminum. Rivets. some plywood. 2020.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I feel like my 2015 was a bargain now. 120 hours. 1300 miles. Feels the same as when we bought it

Hdgasser

Reaction score
I‘m sure they've gone up also. We priced them in 2018 and got the same price as the Avalon. They’re probably 40k more now also. It’s definitely a sellers market, that’s why we are looking at putting our boat up for sale in the next few weeks.

Should probably put it up sooner than later, I was just told that at Avalon’s dealer meeting this past 2 weeks they had orders for over 5000 new boats and out past Feb for delivery dates.

Justfishing

Reaction score
I was just discussing that with my wife. We like the smooth look of Avalon
That Playcraft looks like a sun tracker
Maybe it doesn't make a difference but they don't look like actual pontoon tubes.
Playcraft uses the u shape tubes. Foam filled and i think open on top.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Meaning quality (like they fall apart?) or colors/layouts? It did not look bad (to me) in photos, but I have not seen in person yet.

no all the older ones had this weird checkered flag design through them and they just looked terrible..

I am glad they started modernizing the interiors, they still have a ways to go to catch up to the other mfg’s though..

That all said the playcrafts were always known for being fast

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I heard you mention a twin engine is in your future.
What brand are you going for once the garage sale is complete?

Either Avalon or Trifecta..

The trifecta is better handling and faster, but the Avalon has bigger windshields and a layout I really like..

havasuhusker

Reaction score
My parent's Playcraft was a new build in 06. The interior in the one in the OP looks pretty similar. When my parents were shopping toons back then, it seemed to be Playcraft or JC Tritoon, were the popular options. I will say the PC handles the Havasu/Parker washing machine very well. Nice smooth ride. However, as some have stated, Avalon & Bennington, to name a few, seem to have caught up/passed PC in styling and amenities.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Got my wife involved and she pointed out the superior interior of the Avalon.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
There’s enough skill, talent and experience on this forum “we” should start a toon company

PlanB

Reaction score
There’s enough skill, talent and experience on this forum “we” should start a toon company

I always thought a custom toon builder would do well. It would have to be truly custom though, just like ordering a custom glass boat.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
How about Manitou? I like their twin engine option with the joystick and they seem to be quality construction. Interiors seem decent. Seems pretty modern.

DLC

Reaction score
But at what cost .... a set of twins is already 200- 300

PlanB

Reaction score
But at what cost .... a set of twins is already 200- 300

You could probably charge about what the top tier brands are getting and still make money. If you build a Bennington online, you would be shocked at the MSRP. It would be similar to ordering a boat from a large builder, but you could get more detailed with options, layout, power etc...