WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toons in rough water

Letsride22

Reaction score
I must be getting old. The Toon idea just seems appealing. I was wondering how they do in rough water. A couple lakes we frequent can get nasty (Lake Powell for one). I've never worried much about storms, or watching the weather with our sport boats. Owning a toon however, looks like a game changer. Not sure I'd like to be caught in bad weather.

PlanB

Reaction score
First toon was a 28' Bennington, and the current toon is a 25' Bennington (both tri-toons). I have been caught in nasty weather in both, and they handle rough water fairly well.

JD D05

Reaction score
I must be getting old. The Toon idea just seems appealing. I was wondering how they do in rough water. A couple lakes we frequent can get nasty (Lake Powell for one). I've never worried much about storms, or watching the weather with our sport boats. Owning a toon however, looks like a game changer. Not sure I'd like to be caught in bad weather.

I was thinking the same as you than I went to Powell in a really big one and it took FOREVER to get back from Escalante...If I didn't only care about boating Powell I would do it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
The tri toon will be much more sturdy and stable. In rough water they can't compare to a deep v though. If its that rough just find your cove and enjoy until the storm passes

farmo83

Reaction score
They are great as long as you don't have all your more "portly" passengers sitting up front. I've rode around in a 26 JC for years and it does great until you have a load up front and a surf boat comes by.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Coming from the gorge to the lake in our old 28 on a windy choppy day. Water like this is no problem for either our 28 or 25 tri-toon. You can throttle through it and stay on top and you might get a little wet, or you can go slow and stay dry but get rocked a little more.

IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG

Letsride22

Reaction score
They are great as long as you don't have all your more "portly" passengers sitting up front. I've road around in a 26 JC for years and it does great until you have a load up front and a surf boat comes by.

Never thought about that aspect. Damn wake boats are everywhere now days.

JD D05

Reaction score
Did you do the Boat Show? There was a 25' Toon down there with twins. Guy said they were seeing 67mph at Jordanelle. Just got me thinking a bit. I've always liked the party ability of the Toons. At the local lakes we spend most of the day floating around anyway. Looks like Toons are evolving where a guy can have the Toon and a little performance as well. Not sure if I'm ready for the rockin chair just yet tho.

I did but I can honestly say I did not look at one boat. Twins would for sure help out a ton.

PlanB

Reaction score
Did you do the Boat Show? There was a 25' Toon down there with twins. Guy said they were seeing 67mph at Jordanelle. Just got me thinking a bit. I've always liked the party ability of the Toons. At the local lakes we spend most of the day floating around anyway. Looks like Toons are evolving where a guy can have the Toon and a little performance as well. Not sure if I'm ready for the rockin chair just yet tho.

This is why the next toon will have twins. I have thought about a Nordic deck boat with twin 400's, but we like to beach in coves that are not totally sandy. We are going to weigh our options, but if I were to pull the trigger right now it would be in the 25-27 foot range with 400's. Some companies are running in the 70's with this power option which would give you a nice cruise at 50 or so. I am also waiting to see what Merc does with their new motors. Twin 500hp supercharged O/B's on the back of a toon would be awesome if Merc decides to go that route with their new V8's.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Never thought about that aspect. Damn wake boats are everywhere now days.
We had a bunch of people on my buddies parents toon in the late 90s in Parker, and apparently too many of us were up front. The front deck caught a big wave in front of Buckskin, and we started to imitate a submarine. His dad threw it in reverse just in time, and we backed out of it.

Weird experience for sure to see the front half underwater.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would give a pontoon a D- in rough water and a tritoon a B-. I have had both.

This.

But Powell rough water is a whole lot different than the chop in Havasu or Parker.

I don't care what you are driving, you head for a cove when the weather up there gets rough.

Justfishing

Reaction score
If it gets rough enough any boat of a similar size will struggle.

Tritoons do reasonably well in rough water. With a toon the water flows around 3 tubes versus a vhull slamming into it. Look for toons of the biggest diameter it keeps you higher off the water and gives more room for water between the toons. You can stuff the bow of a toon the same as any other boat. You have to know how to drive.

We boat at LOTO which can get extremely rough. I would never have a deck boat on that lake. A tritoon is also better than under 30' v hulls when the going gets rough.

TCHB

Reaction score
Our twin engine toon will handle most most conditions that Havasu can dish out. I would not want to be out on Powell with much bigger waves that’s could come over the front. The twin engine boat is much nicer due to the fact you have twins back there pushing you through the crap water. I had a 25ft Bennington and now the 28 Playcraft. The twins drives a lot better than the single engine boats.

riverroyal

Reaction score
No issues. 3 logs, bigger the diameter the better. Mine has a rough water package, some type of strengthening stuff. Thicker aluminum.
Buy mine

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
No issues. 3 logs, bigger the diameter the better. Mine has a rough water package, some type of strengthening stuff. Thicker aluminum.
Buy mine

but can your pressurize your tubes? I don't want to see big water in mine, period! ever!

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I have a 28’ South Bay with the rear loungers. The extra weight in the back where most people tend to congregate makes a HUGE difference with the ride in rough water. Yes my toons are pressurized and the theory behind it makes sense, but I have never ran a test to see if it really makes a difference. I haven’t had it on Powell in a storm, but I have several times at Havasu and I am really impressed with the ride quality.

riverroyal

Reaction score
No idea if mine are pressurized. 1 psi air 100 it doesnt make it float any better.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
28 Bennington with 8.2 big block, blew right thru some pretty bad Havi water, others were bouncing all over and were were moving along. Much prefer pulling in a cove at Powell and wait things out.
TOON LIFE.JPG

JD D05

Reaction score
That thing is huge. It’s going to be a job towing that around (10 feet wide, 32 feet long). Bigger isn’t always better, unless you have big crew! It looks really nice.

I think that is why it has not sold....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That thing is huge. It’s going to be a job towing that around (10 feet wide, 32 feet long). Bigger isn’t always better, unless you have big crew! It looks really nice.

I agree Mike. That thing would be like a friggen barge at times. Lol

Letsride22

Reaction score
28 Bennington with 8.2 big block, blew right thru some pretty bad Havi water, others were bouncing all over and were were moving along. Much prefer pulling in a cove at Powell and wait things out. View attachment 745288

Cruising Powell on the back lounger with a cool one........hard to beat in my book.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The toons with upper decks have trouble in the winds I hear from owners.
It can get dangerous.

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
This things works very well in the rough. It made DS very enjoyable.
fullsizeoutput_628.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
My crest 230 is a 23 ft and sitting on Trailer it’s less than 31 from ball to prop, I do have a swing away and use that during winter when I’m not going to use the boat.

My garage is 35’ 9” inside and I have 2 ft in back and just over 2 ft in the Frt. To walk around it

Height w/ Bimini up is 11’ 4”

Socalx09

Reaction score
Boats a 24. Not sure on trailer. I will try to remember to measure next time out.
My crest 230 is a 23 ft and sitting on Trailer it’s less than 31 from ball to prop, I do have a swing away and use that during winter when I’m not going to use the boat.

My garage is 35’ 9” inside and I have 2 ft in back and just over 2 ft in the Frt. To walk around it

Height w/ Bimini up is 11’ 4”
Thanks!

Looking to get one next season for myself. There is about 30-31 feet left in the garage with my dads. Heard from others, that anything smaller than a 22 would take a beating. Probably can get creative for a few inches, but I’m sure it’ll be a tight fit.

DLC

Reaction score
Go take a 20 or 22 for a test drive.....

I think in that range the performance isn’t very good, it’s a toon so the performance isn’t great to start with.

Mine toon has the same performance as the bigger high Doller toons, meaning lifting streaks and weld on tabs to the logs, it’s rated up to 400HP

With a swing away you might make that work. We have extra length in the ladder so you could shorten it up some ( a few inches ) boarding ladder more vertical with our swing away it’s under 30ft closer to 29’. Adrenaline made our trailer, they are great to work with.

You more than welcome to come over and measure our toon! Next time we’re out maybe memorial weekend

Socalx09

Reaction score
Go take a 20 or 22 for a test drive.....

I think in that range the performance isn’t very good, it’s a toon so the performance isn’t great to start with.

Mine toon has the same performance as the bigger high Doller toons, meaning lifting streaks and weld on tabs to the logs, it’s rated up to 400HP

With a swing away you might make that work. We have extra length in the ladder so you could shorten it up some ( a few inches ) boarding ladder more vertical with our swing away it’s under 30ft closer to 29’. Adrenaline made our trailer, they are great to work with.

You more than welcome to come over and measure our toon! Next time we’re out maybe memorial weekend
Thanks! I appreciate it. I’ll let you know! It could be one of those things of whatever boat fits will be mine lol. But under 30 ft with the swing away will fit without being creative!

Nosocks

Reaction score
Reviving this.

Is there any meaningful difference in ride quality in rough with a 25ft vs 28 vs 30?

Or do the toons sorta slice through the rough about the same?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Reviving this.

Is there any meaningful difference in ride quality in rough with a 25ft vs 28 vs 30?

Or do the toons sorta slice through the rough about the same?

22' to 25' makes a big difference... Makes it possible to bridge wake to wake vs rolling up and down everywhere. Added bonus, useable capacity goes from 8 comfortable to 12 comfortable, and speed when carrying 8 is better.

Go as big as you can handle.

Nosocks

Reaction score
22' to 25' makes a big difference... Makes it possible to bridge wake to wake vs rolling up and down everywhere. Added bonus, useable capacity goes from 8 comfortable to 12 comfortable, and speed when carrying 8 is better.

Go as big as you can handle.
Yeah I figured on the really small 22s. Just curious where the curve of diminishing returns kicks in.