WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toons in salt water?

DickieB

Reaction score
Anyone ever put their toon in the salt water? Two weeks ago, I saw several in Mission Bay. Does this really mess things up? Do I have to do anything more than the normal wash down? Just wonderin'

Patyacht

Reaction score
Many manufactures make saltwater versions.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've never seen them in a marina slip but do see them from time to time in motoring around Newport Harbor.
A real good rinse off would be essential for starters.

Wonder if they make stainless steel pontoons?

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I would be more afraid of what it would do to my trailer

AND That's exactly why our Toon is sitting on a Alum trailer. Living in San Diego, the plan was to use the Toon in San Diego bay from time to time. Grew up with metal trailers under all the fishing boats..... Saltwater and metal trailers wasn't a good combo.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I've never seen them in a marina slip but do see them from time to time in motoring around Newport Harbor.

There's a Avalon Toon dealer right there on the water that rents and sells Avalon's. They are across from the Mercedes or BMW dealership (cant remember which)

zhandfull

Reaction score

I rented a nice newer pontoon to cruise Newport harbor a couple years ago. Seemed like a typical pontoon with a outboard motor. Didnt seem like anything special and was docked at the rental place.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There's a Avalon Toon dealer right there on the water that rents and sells Avalon's. They are across from the Mercedes or BMW dealership (cant remember which)

I want to talk to those guys.
Thanks

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Why not? I say go for it.

Just buy some Salt Away and you are good to go.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Nice twin engine Bennington cruises around MDR all the time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469334196.483635.jpg

DickieB

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input, we are heading to San Diego for a week next week and I just had some thoughts about maybe taking the toon....or not🤔

Patyacht

Reaction score
Hey Pat......this is an interesting subject......any idea what they do differently??
You would have to go to each manufactures web site because they all have different approaches to the subject but here is what Premier says:
Salt-Ex? Saltwater Package

As a continued leader in the industry, Premier is proud to be one of the select pontoon manufactures that offer optional packages tailored to the salt water boater. We offer the Salt Water Package, which includes Sacrificial Anodes, coated gate braces, lifting Strakes, performance sheeting, rough water nose cone and Premier SaltEx graphic. If your boat is in contact with salt water, remove it from the water after each use and flush it from top to bottom, inside and out with fresh water. Clean hardware and spray with a marine corrosion inhibitor every month or more often, if possible. Salt water can also affect the engine. Contact your dealer or Premier Marine for additional information about using your boat in salt water. DO NOT store boats on carpeted bunks or any other type of surface that can hold salt or any other chemicals near or on the surface of the boat. These surfaces WILL corrode and damage the boat. Sacrificial Anodes are required for salt water and help reduce the chances of damage to your boat. Call your dealer or Premier Marine with questions.

Patyacht

Reaction score
Here is Premier's video on the subject: [video=vimeo;134999093]https://vimeo.com/134999093[/video]

2 comments on the video.
1. I'd use SaltAway to spray off the pontoon and also flush the engine with SaltAway. http://www.saltaway.xyz/
2. I would not use WD40. It has alcohol in it and actually speeds up rusting. There are many other products out there that are better than WD40. Do your own Google research to find a better lubricant. I think SeaDoo XPS Lub works better but it does smell.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Thought this was pretty balzy...... last year four of the suits from Avalon took a three day, 300 miles offshore trip in a new twin OB Avalon.

[video=youtube;9Ins6yQaM7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ins6yQaM7E[/video]