WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Topcat1, Mercury 525 with 10 people?

Mikes56

Reaction score
So we’re going to Havasu in a couple weeks and going to have 10 people on my boat. I’ve never had that many on it. Anyone know if I will be able to get it up on plane? I don’t want to just sit in the channel. I realize I’ll have to put a few up front when I first start out.

Anything else I should know? I’ll have lifevests for everyone and I don’t drink when I’m on the water.

Singleton

Reaction score
10 people is a ton of weight. It will be plowing water, unless 6 of those 10 are kids IMO.
I worry more about drive damage when heavy then anything else.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
So we’re going to Havasu in a couple weeks and going to have 10 people on my boat. I’ve never had that many on it. Anyone know if I will be able to get it up on plane? I don’t want to just sit in the channel. I realize I’ll have to put a few up front when I first start out.

Anything else I should know? I’ll have lifevests for everyone and I don’t drink when I’m on the water.
Can't imagine you'll have any problems, what prop are you running?

nowski

Reaction score
10 people on a boat is a lot of weight to haul around, just don't plan on racing anybody...

However: We did see a thread with a pontoon boat that had (1 person seen aboard) twin 400's on it, I heard that guy was able to haul the mail...

Mikes56

Reaction score
That sounds like about right. I would just keep the weight balanced like you said, trim all the way down and power up evenly. You may want to remove any excess weight if that is possible.
Thanks, my plan was to keep the fuel tanks about half full to keep the weight down.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Remember this, when you slow down to wakeless speed,... pull out of the throttle slow and carry the bow high till she settles down,... those boats like to stuff the bow

Land it like an airplane, nice and easy!

River Runnin

Reaction score
What does your capacity plate read?? ....

Boat Capacity Calculator
If your boat doesn't have a Capacity Plate, you can calculate the number of people you can safely take onboard using the following equation and calculator.

Number of people = vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.) ÷ 15

First, find out the length and width of your boat in feet, then use our calculator to find out your boat's capacity.

https://www.boaterexam.com/boating-resources/boat-capacity.aspx

nowski

Reaction score
Most of them will be co-workers, all cops. It might turn into a shitshow if we get pulled over lol.

Didn't there use to be an annual Leo event at Pirates??? That might be the time to take your co-workers on the boat. they'll blend in with the rest of the party...

DWC

Reaction score
That sounds like about right. I would just keep the weight balanced like you said, trim all the way down and power up evenly. You may want to remove any excess weight if that is possible.
X2. We had 10 on a Magic with a 496 a couple times. Didn’t get anywhere in a hurry. Take it easy out of the hole.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Jody at Conquest. He seems to think I’ll be okay. Capacity on a Topcat1 is twelve, on a Topcat 2, nine. He said it will be slow to roll over, and suggested a 22P prop if I’m going to do this a lot.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Throw a 22 on it if you have it. I might have 10-12 aboard this weekend as well. No problem. I have been on a Conquest with 12 and it still cruised at 80 but had big power. It's been repowered since and has closer to 1500 hp now.

relaxalot

Reaction score
You won't have any problem. Try to put more weight towards the back. Bring more water than you think and extra trash bags. Have a great time.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Yes, when you have this type of hull you want to keep the weight towards the stern. Larger humans in the back. Ice chests towards the stern. Lighter humans over the sponsons in the front. If you put the weight up front the boat will have a tendency to bow steer and plow water. Just start out easy and you will be going a little slower. Not a big deal. The Conquest is a great boat and I have seen many of them loaded up pretty good. I try to not go over 8 people because it is just too crowded. You may take a little while to plane out but you will. One large person in each seat and 4 on the rear bench and 2 over each sponson. Off you go for a weekend of fun. You will be good.
It also helps to move the people over the sponsons towards your stern on the seats up front so they are not all the way up near the bow. Trim down all the way to start but after you plane out adjust to your liking. When going through the rough holiday toilet bowl water on the way back in... trim down a bit more than usual. Slow down... I run 3500 rpm in terrible water when loaded with people. When the water is better you can open her up.

575cat

Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a youtube vid , what could go wrong ??

69hondo

Reaction score
I dont' believe you have to tag boats that size or larger

You may be right. I have the Eliminator Fundeck which is almost the same boat and there is no capacity tag on it.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I dont' believe you have to tag boats that size or larger
Jody didn’t use those exact words, but that seemed to be the jist of it. There is no weight/person capacity tag on my boat anywhere.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have never had a capacity tag on any of my custom boats. But on every production boat I have. It has more to do with weight than capacity imo. I have had 14 on my boat with nobody sitting on the back seat. But 8 were kids that weighed a combined weight less than 2 of me.

riverroyal

Reaction score
10 on deck, that sounds like a very long hot day no matter what speed the 525 gets too

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I run 8 people, full tanks and coolers all the time in my boat. its a "true 28" as it measures almost 28.5' not including the swim steps. It works to plane but it does it fine, just gotta be patient. I only run a stock 502 so i'd imagine you'll get up on plane easier than me, plus you have an open bow so you can shift weight forward to make planning easier - mine is closed and everyone is in the back!!

hallett21

Reaction score
Lol we’ve run 10+ in a vector with 250hp. You’ll be fine. Just go easy out of the hole and coming off plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Boats over 20’, if there is room for a butt, theirs room. I miss the old days, boaters didn’t need a 28‘ or bigger barge to go on a lake or carry 10 people😁
used to carry 8 in our 16’ Outboard growing up and ski all day. Had 10 in my 20.5 bahner many times. 10-11 on my 21’ and 25’ hallett. And 11 in my current 22’ Howard. America’s gettin soft😮🤩🤩

instagator

Reaction score
Rent a pontoon boat and have all of them drive you around !

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Put the 6.2 in it, it will rip!! Hah

I mean, they do rip in the proper context........
Here's my 6.2 :p
Heads decked .030, cometic gaskets - 11.3:1
Flycut pistons
230/234 111LSA
BTR spring package
Yank 3800 stall
4L65E
Running factory EFI, swap harness with HPT

....Ignore the ugly turbocharged extra cab parked on my lawn :cool:

Last edited: