WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Torque spec for lower unit drain plugs?

CDN GT

Reaction score
This must be an odd question as I can't really seem to find any information out there. I just replaced the drive oil in my IMCO SCX with SC lower. I picked up new Mercury blue drain plug gaskets but I can't find any information on the proper tightness/torque on the drain plugs. I don't want to over torque them as not to distort the gasket seals but don't want them to loose that they cause issues. I did find some info out there. I saw something floating around on the web about 7 Ft/Lbs or 85 Inch/Lbs. I probably will call IMCO but I thought I'd check out and see what the opinions are here first.

Dalton

Reaction score
Isn’t it a flathead? Only once have i worked on something where you torqued a flathead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN GT

Reaction score
drain plug.jpg

CDN GT

Reaction score
It takes a 3/8 socket. I know the ones that you are referring to tho

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Haha yep that appears to be the standard. I spoke with IMCO and they mentioned there isn't a torque spec. Basically tighten til snug.

What size is the plug? Guess it must be stainless. You can look up universal torque specs to get some idea.

CDN GT

Reaction score
What size is the plug? Guess it must be stainless. You can look up universal torque specs to get some idea.
I would suspect that it is stainless. It is a 3/8-16. Good point regarding a universal torque spec. The only thing that might be odd is the addition of the dealing gasket.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If you go too tight you will tear up the little blue washer. You can get a 12 pack of the things on Amazon for cheap, I change them with each oil change and with an outboard thats pretty often.

CDN GT

Reaction score
If you go too tight you will tear up the little blue washer. You can get a 12 pack of the things on Amazon for cheap, I change them with each oil change and with an outboard thats pretty often.
Exactly - That was my concern as I know that too tight can cause more harm by damaging the blue washer. I really appreciate the insight everyone. I will snug them up and just do a check on them after a couple of runs to male sure everything is A-Okay.

CDN GT

Reaction score
Great find and info. This helps immensely. Appreciate the time you put into finding the document

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

A2-86 fastener into aluminum, just snug, basically the same torque as the flat blade screw driver would be. If you are using a ratchet choke all the way up with your hand around the spindle, and snug tight, don't use leverage on the arm.

Teague_JR

Reaction score
This must be an odd question as I can't really seem to find any information out there. I just replaced the drive oil in my IMCO SCX with SC lower. I picked up new Mercury blue drain plug gaskets but I can't find any information on the proper tightness/torque on the drain plugs. I don't want to over torque them as not to distort the gasket seals but don't want them to loose that they cause issues. I did find some info out there. I saw something floating around on the web about 7 Ft/Lbs or 85 Inch/Lbs. I probably will call IMCO but I thought I'd check out and see what the opinions are here first.

the later model yellow gaskets are reinforced. Imco uses nylon. You can safely get them a lot tighter. The blue ones smash and tear, I wouldnt use them on high performance stuff....