WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Torrington thrust bearing for cam driven water pump timing cover.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
How many would be interested in sort of a step by step tutorial on how I measure and set up a Torrington needle roller thrust bearing to fit behind an aluminum timing cover? This is a neat setup if you are running a cam driven water pump and a roller camshaft as there is no thrust load applied to the water pump by the cam. The other advantage is that you could change pumps, or in this case I don't even have the pump here while I am building the engine. Customer will just need to check to make sure it doesn't bottom out before bolting it to the cover.

I am waiting on a couple of washers to arrive, I didn't have the two that I thought were here with the bearings, and I want to set it up with the parts that will be running with it to make sure I don't end up with too much or too little thrust.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I'm always interested in learning from the best🤷🏻‍♂️

Heylam

Reaction score
Even though I’m sure I’ll never set one up, I love seeing the skills and knowledge required to do technical skills. Love some of the stuff you’ve posted in the past. Thanks

bocco

Reaction score
I'm in. I love learning this stuff.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I also would like to see this information. ALSO where could one purchase a new timing cover for a BBC gen 4 ?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I also would like to see this information. ALSO where could one purchase a new timing cover for a BBC gen 4 ?
IMCO makes the nicest one, or Glenwood if you can find one. IMCO does not have "ears" on it for the water inlets, which I see as a positive thing, since aluminum corrodes over time, and if you run IMCO, you can get some stainless water inlets that should last forever. I like the ones that have male AN fittings welded to them already.

I have a clean used Glenwood timing cover here, including the pump drive that bolts on the camshaft.

I also added enough washers to my order that I should be able to sell some bearing sets, since they are a little tricky to find.

whale844

Reaction score
Yes, please share! Putting together an L76 clone with roller cam and Neovane pump.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I was able to get the washers that I needed for the bearings, I will proceed with measuring and photos within the next couple of days. It's not very complex, but as with other engine measurements, needs to be precise.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Looking forward to it.
Hopefully Pat can do the cover in a couple of days, then get started on finishing the project. This is something I may not have had to do on your engine, but it does keep the ignition timing more stable.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Finally got word that the timing cover was being machined last night, should get it into my hands today and work on photos and the write up. ARP 12 pt stainless bolts due in the next couple of days, but I can assemble with plain bolts to check thrust and be able to write the article.