WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Total Spectra Production ?

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
The Howard is direct copy, not splash of the Spectra.
Howard never had the Spectra molds.
Howard changed the deck in the mid 1980s. The Howard molds were sold to DCM.
Howard also copied the Spectra 24, changed the deck.

Brent

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Hey Brent,

Thanks! I got the interior used and it too came out of a Spectra 20. I did cap it however I'm thinking about putting a stainless rub rail on, I'm still on the fence about it.

I did the SS trim on the Spectra 20 we have now, I like the look better than the old stuff with the rubber insert. But I wouldn't put it over a cap.
IMG_2459.JPG

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
The Howard is direct copy, not splash of the Spectra.
Howard never had the Spectra molds.
Howard changed the deck in the mid 1980s. The Howard molds were sold to DCM.
Howard also copied the Spectra 24, changed the deck.

Brent

Howard splashed the Spectra almost as soon as it hit the market. In fact he called them on the phone and told them of his intentions. He bought a rigged spectra, de rigged it and then filled in the holes, all Howards out of the mold had the tell-tell signs of the kitty litter non skid being patched in where the blower vent, and exit vent were.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
Old Rigger,

I did speak to Ed Delong about Howard & the rest of the boating industry Spashing
His hulls (Spectra 20 & 24), he pretty much told me the same story about Howard.
Ed did tell me he took one boat company to court and won!
The 32 Spectra has Pat. Pending in the Hull ID, so it was not copied.
Brent

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
I know of two more also. A 32 and a 24 in bullhead. Idk what the HIN numbers are though. When I go up in a few weeks I'll ask my neighbor if I can check them out and post them.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I have a 1979 24 Spectra hull number SPE24289M78F

Beautiful boat. Do you have any pics of the interior? I would love to see it. We have the twin boat and would love to do a similar interior.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jack Kelley

Reaction score
Beautiful boat. Do you have any pics of the interior? I would love to see it. We have the twin boat and would love to do a similar interior.

Matt

Matt, your boat's looking good. The Spectra's are really making a comeback now. they seem to be more popular then their step sisters, Sheada, and Cambell

Let me look, I believe I do, if not we will be going to Havasu this weekend as I just put in a new speedmaster outdrive, new gimble, rebuilt the motor, K planes, etc. we had a mechanical failure on the outdrive, and grenaded from the motor back. This will be our test run. The boat's been in the family for over 35 years, I've had it about 15. It still looks new.
we put a one piece hyd. lift motor cover, full width back seat, dual captains chairs (passenger is wider) you can kind of see it from these pictures, again I will find or shoot some this weekend

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 158
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 161

Jack Kelley

Reaction score
Great looking Spectra. Nice job keeping her looking new. What motor are you hooking up to the speed master? Welcome to the boards!
Originally it had a twin turbo Chevy 468 build by Teague racing, they used it in two Long Beach to Catilina Ski races. That motor was pulled for a normally asperated 468, but kept blowing the outdrives hence the Speedmaster. that's coupled to an electric shift two speed power glide to the current motor 468 W/Dart heads and block. after this rebuild it dyno'd at Just under 800 HP.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Originally it had a twin turbo Chevy 468 build by Teague racing, they used it in two Long Beach to Catilina Ski races. That motor was pulled for a normally asperated 468, but kept blowing the outdrives hence the Speedmaster. that's coupled to an electric shift two speed power glide to the current motor 468 W/Dart heads and block. after this rebuild it dyno'd at Just under 800 HP.

Nice. Make sure you post up how she runs after this weekend.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Matt, your boat's looking good. The Spectra's are really making a comeback now. they seem to be more popular then their step sisters, Sheada, and Cambell

Let me look, I believe I do, if not we will be going to Havasu this weekend as I just put in a new speedmaster outdrive, new gimble, rebuilt the motor, K planes, etc. we had a mechanical failure on the outdrive, and grenaded from the motor back. This will be our test run. The boat's been in the family for over 35 years, I've had it about 15. It still looks new.
we put a one piece hyd. lift motor cover, full width back seat, dual captains chairs (passenger is wider) you can kind of see it from these pictures, again I will find or shoot some this weekend

Thanks! We actually hope to make our interior the same layout you have. Did you do the work yourself? I’m going to need someone to fabricate the interior for me. We live too far away to do the work ourselves. We moved our boat from Parker to Vegas so it’s an easier commute from Seattle.

We have a new 496HO in ours with 15 hours now. Ours is attached to a velvet V drive. The boat has been in my girlfriend’s family for 20 years and came from another RDP’r on here since new. Our boat is truly amazing except for the interior. We absolutely love it.

Did you do anything to your helm? I feel like I want to totally redo mine and put a vessel view and a chart plotter on there. I would also like to move the controls. My refit get more expensive by the minute.
IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Wow! How fast does your boat go? The best we have seen is 50.
IMG_1793.jpg

farmo83

Reaction score

Bad ass looking boat for sure !!!

2manyboats

Reaction score
I have a 1979 Spectra 20 HIN is SPE201011M79H.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 188

spectra75

Senior Lurker
Reaction score
I’ll add mine to the list, SPE20383M75C. Although a pump, I love this boat!!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Off topic. But who was the actual mfg name. My tax paper work shows its sea point. Who the fuck is that?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Off topic. But who was the actual mfg name. My tax paper work shows its sea point. Who the fuck is that?

For your 32? Should be Spectra Marine, SPE on the HIN right??

old rigger

Reaction score

They're the boat shop that now uses SPE in the HIN numbers. They're in Miami, Florida and started in biz in 1/2013 and went out in 10/2013.

These 3 shops before Sea Point Marine used that SPE...
SPYDER BOATS (OOB)
MILLWOOD MANUFACTURING (OOB)
SPECTRA MARINE (OOB)

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
They're the boat shop that now uses SPE in the HIN numbers. They're in Miami, Florida and started in biz in 1/2013 and went out in 10/2013.

These 3 shops before Sea Point Marine used that SPE...
SPYDER BOATS (OOB)
MILLWOOD MANUFACTURING (OOB)
SPECTRA MARINE (OOB)
That makes sense. I'm gonna have to call and have corrected

Merlin

Reaction score
has anyone seen one of the millers made from the 20' mold? I have a miller 20' v-drive that was built in 1985, looks more "pointy' and more like a bubble deck. would love to see a miller from the spectra 20 mold
voodoo_canoe3.jpg
voodoo_canoe10.jpg

guest hs

Reaction score
I have seen one I almost bought it about 13 years ago it was in Hesperia couldn’t tell the difference between it or a Spectra it was blue white and pacalon I did t buy it cuz it had an Olds in it