WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toterhome vs Motorhome vs RV recomendations

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
well, I believe the red truck is sold so I'm going to begin searching for the right Motorhome or Toterhome. Thanks for all the input. I wanted to respond to everyone individually but the forum makes that pain in the ass with its "wait 60 seconds between posts" thing. lol.

Are there MH and TH brands/builders to avoid? I'm assuming buy something prior to 2006 for emissions purposes? I'll probably look for a unit with a tag axle.

So this was recorded a while ago then?

Was looking forward to air bag and engine conversions.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
So this was recorded a while ago then?

Was looking forward to air bag and engine conversions.
That was about 3 weeks ago. I sold the red truck last week. still have the red trailer. I picked up a 2004 Showhauler with 70,00 miles on it. It's got a 450hp mercedes benz diesel, 10spd autoshift trans, air ride suspension and air ride seats, one slide out. Runs great, rides great and needs restoration. It had been left outside for a long time so the exterior is pretty trashed but the drivetrain and chassis are good. I found out the hard way that the previous owner forgot to mention that the freshwater tank, which is located under the couch inside the toter, had a good size leak. it dumped 75 gallons of water onto the floor as I drove it on my first road trip. So on Day 2 of toter ownership my friend and I had to rip out all the carpet and we are still trying to dry out the interior. lol

Attachments

• IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4738.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 189

zhandfull

Reaction score
I just watched the YouTube video picking up the trailer last night. My wife was wondering why I was laughing out loud.

HCP3

Reaction score
Wife and I were having a good laugh while you guys were bouncing around in the red truck.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
That was about 3 weeks ago. I sold the red truck last week. still have the red trailer. I picked up a 2004 Showhauler with 70,00 miles on it. It's got a 450hp mercedes benz diesel, 10spd autoshift trans, air ride suspension and air ride seats, one slide out. Runs great, rides great and needs restoration. It had been left outside for a long time so the exterior is pretty trashed but the drivetrain and chassis are good. I found out the hard way that the previous owner forgot to mention that the freshwater tank, which is located under the couch inside the toter, had a good size leak. it dumped 75 gallons of water onto the floor as I drove it on my first road trip. So on Day 2 of toter ownership my friend and I had to rip out all the carpet and we are still trying to dry out the interior. lol

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to watching the video of this purchase! 👍

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Some of the issues you may run into are towing capacity of an older coach, and length limits. I have a 38' Foretravel with a tag axle and it's only rated for 10k bumper tow. I'm sure it will pull more, but insurance, liability and all that comes into play. Length limits also apply...Cali is 65' combined length...with a 38' coach, that only leaves 27' OAL for a trailer, which means a 22' or so. Power wise, I have the Cummins ISM 450hp/1450tq and the coach does pretty well. As with anything I've ever driven, it could use more power. :) It weighs about 34,500 fully loaded, ready to ride. I do have the Allison 4000 MHR trans with the trans retarder...that thing is the cats' ass in my opinion. I barely have to touch the service brakes in town if I run the retarder right. I will slow you down to where you don't have to use service brakes on downhills as well. Works awesome.
LOL... the old foretravels were light years ahead of todays freight shakers... and more power....

cyclone

Reaction score
Selling the enclosed? Details?
The enclosed is for sale.
27Ft air ride enclosed trailer

$15,000.00

27’ 6” long with a 5’ tongue

2 5/16” Atwood coupler - rated at 25,0000lbs

Floor is 27’ long and 97” wide with aluminum tread flooring

Distance between fender wells is 79”

Floor to ceiling height is 8’ 6”.

Rear door is 9’ high and 97” wide

Two heavy duty 8,000 lb. air ride axles with air drop valve

1/2” thick axle tubes with 16”- 8 bolt wheels

Goodyear RST G rated tires with very few miles on them

Spare wheel and tire

Electric brakes

Double side doors with 52” opening

4 - 5000 lb rated D-rings

Rear swing doors with ramp

Aluminum siding on exterior and interior is .040” thick

1 1/2” insulation in the walls, ceiling and all doors

110 and 12 volt interior lighting

2 - 500 watt halogen lights out the rear door

All tail, stop, and clearance lights are all LED

9,000lb winch in the floor

110 volt outlets and extension reel

110 volt, 30 amp electrical plug

3/8”x50’ air hose and reel

110v batter tender charger.

*the aluminum generator box at the front of the trailer is no longer there*

The bad: its has some scratches and a scrape on the driver side rear. A new panel would be an easy fix. Otherwise she’s ready to go.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Just watched the latest episode. Sucks about the water tank. To answer your question, one reason the fresh water is up in the cabin is so it doesn't freeze.

Something else to keep in mind, all of those tanks I've seen have a drain valve, so on the future you can dump the water when you store the rig.

But I'm digging the totter over Lincoln Hawk.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score

bought a toter. it broke. here's an update.

I watched it this morning. Nice rig (once you get the water tank repaired! :p )
I think they put the tank inside so it won't freeze or get too hot.

How does the clutch work? You have to push it in to put it in gear then you don't touch it again or do you have to push it when you come to a stop?

1tonfun

Reaction score

How does the clutch work? You have to push it in to put it in gear then you don't touch it again or do you have to push it when you come to a stop?
My toter has the eaton 10 speed with no clutch, just like driving an automatic.

cyclone

Reaction score

You only need the clutch when you're stopped. just to take off. after that trans functions as if someone else is driving for you. there is the same hesitation and rpm drop during a gear change like a normal manual trans except youre not pushing in the clutch, lifting off the gas pedal, and moving the stick. just keep your foot on the gas and the trans does it for you.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Definitely stepped up your game with this new unit. Sucks about the leaky water tank and the initial wiring issues with the trailer. Hope you get that all squared away and have years of trouble free trips.