WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tow Vehicle

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you don’t mind red lining the engine often, have less braking power, feeling the trailer behind you and a poorer quality ride keep what you got.

If not, you know what you need to do.

You forgot keeping a full wallet instead of emptying it for only ~7K towing miles per year.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A 3.5 Ecoboost isn’t going to struggle or “be screaming at redline” with any load the F150 is designed to pull.

That engine makes great power and a shitload of torque at all rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spectras only

Reaction score
I tow my boat and TT with 2014 F-150 Ecoboost 502a trailer tow package. Boat [ twin engines ] 8300lbs, TT 7800lbs[ dry ] on the Coquihalla or Hope Princeton highways in BC. Both, boat and travel trailer is equipped with electric brakes, never had issues braking on any of the extremely steep grades, either on the Coke or Hope Princeton highways. A late model F-150 has much more capable brakes today than any 3/4 tons of past. The OEM hitch is rated 1200lbs [ my TT has a 900lbs TW ] and truck stays level even if I remove the WD bars. I guess most Nordic Heat [ one of my favourite model ] equipped with single big blocks and it won't be heavier than the tow capacity of a Eco-boost. the 25 Nordic with single, you wouldn't even feel it it's there. If in doubt, buy a used Peterbuilt as peeps recommend here :D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This...a 2015 F150 uses almost 14" front brake rotor and the rears aren't much smaller. These are bigger than anything 3/4 ton prior to 2010.
I love when people think the bigger trucks just have massive brakes compared to the 1/2 tons. There is a reason why 16, hell... even some 17" wheels cannot fit on most new half tons. The brakes are just way too big for them.

Javajoe

Reaction score
You may want to make sure you have done the air bag recall

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We pull our 28 Shockwave Deck "probably heavier than all the boats you listed" With a Toyota Tundra 4x4. We put air bags in the back and it pulls it no problem. Back to Shockwave in Corona and out to Havasu easy as pie. While the Tundra doesnt have all the Bells and Whistles and the gas mileage is soso I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. Absolutely Love this truck!

Its a limited. Has moonroof leather nav hands free and that about covers it!

I too pull a 28 (Donzi twin screw) with a 1/2 ton Tundra 4x crew. Boat, trailer, gear and gas probably weighs 9,000 lbs. Pulls it like a champ.

I will say that my tandem trailer has disk brakes on all 4 wheels and it is well maintained. I think this alone makes a big difference.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
You could get a 3/4 ton Suburban all the way up thru 2020 thru their fleet program. But it was only offered with the 5.3 and tow rating is about the same as the regular models. GVWR is decent though.

They also offered a 1-ton model for government purchase only. I dunno what those specs are.

In all likelihood, these ‘Burbs were designed more for armored vehicle conversions, and less for towing.

I think what you're talking about was something specifically for the Secret Service. Notice most of the Presidential Fleet is GM?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think what you're talking about was something specifically for the Secret Service. Notice most of the Presidential Fleet is GM?

Yeah the 3500 Suburban was government-only. Hard to find all the specs for it.

But the 2500 was offered to fleet customers, not just government. There’s a few threads on RDP about it [emoji106]

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Except that the 2500 offered via Fleet didn't have the big motor and options were limited.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm in the market to purchase a boat and I want to get an idea of what size tow vehicle I would need to tow it safely. I currently have a 2015 F150 4WD with 3.73 gears and a 1740lb payload. GCWR is listed at 16200lbs, and 7000lbs for GVWR. Tow distance will be about 250 miles. Ideally I want to use this and not have to step up to a 3/4 ton. The boats I am looking at are in the 25-28 foot range (Nordic Rage, Nordic Heat, Nordic Lightning, Conquest Top Cat, Eliminator Fundeck, Howard Bullet 25/28). I am not sure what the exact total weights are on each of these boats/trailer but I would venture to guess between 6-8k lbs? Am I in over my head towing any of these with a 1/2 ton? Let me know. And to keep this thread interesting, post pics of your rigs if you have them, boating season is just around the corner!
I have an Ultra 247. It's lighter than what you will be towing but I tow it easily with my 2014 F150. It has the 5.0L. Before that I tiwes it with a 2007 F150 with the 5.4.

They did just fine. I pull Chiriaco Summit no problem

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the 1/2 ton can get it done but the 3/4 will be a more comfortable ride. A 3/4 ton will be in the works but for the time being I will see how the F150 will handle the load.

What these guys aren't telling you is that for the 70-80hrs a year you'll be towing, how many countless hours will you be using it as a grocery getter?

A 3/4 ton will work better for those 80hrs on the road, but unless its a dedicated tow vehicle, you'll be giving up $ in fuel, etc during the majority of use.

It's a tradeoff, for sure, if it's dual purpose.