WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towin' With a Toyota:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've always been skeptical about towing tandem axel trailers with mini trucks.
But the new Toyota is more of a mid-size truck and has a tow rating of 6500 lbs.

We suffered a blowout on our GMC 2500HD in Shreveport Louisiana, and the body shop wanted a month to replace the fender and rear bumper from the catastropic damage.

Our new boat arrived early, so we decided to press the Toyota into towing service to and from Parker and the 909.
Our Tige' weighs out at massive 5390 lbs on the trailer. With towboats, weight is your friend. It's a supurb riding boat in the rough chop.

The Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner tows teriffic.
The V6 plenty of snot on the hills. Averaged about 14.3 MPG.
I added the rear rubber springs, kinda like rear bags, and they helped alot with the tongue weight.

Click on pic to see the rear rubber springs installed:

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/tpc123/?action=view&current=TowinwiththeToyota.flv

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
What is your unloaded commuter mileage like?

These trucks are becoming very popular in south OC. I am not a mid size truck guy but with $80 barrel oil I am thinking about something a little more economical than my 2500HD with the gas 6.0 for doing nothing but quote work.

With the tow rating I can still haul my construction trailers to the dump. We use our MH to tow the boat or my wifes Yukon when needed. Nice to know you can pull to the river feeling like your not being run over.

Thanks TPC.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Normal mixed driving is about 22 MPG not towing
If we don't get on it too hard to the river mid-20's.

Very stable towing truck.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have a Tundra as a shop truck, and it won't pull with a Duramax or anything, but against My Navigator, Expeditions and the like it's pretty equal.. :) We've been very happy with the truck all n all!

RD