WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing Report - RAM 6.4L Hemi

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas Hemi with the 8 speed transmission and the 4.10 gear rated at 17,000 towing
Larger aftermarket wheels and tires 35/12.5/18
Boat is 14,000 lbs and 36L x 10 foot wide with an annual oversize permit.
600 miles from Chandler AZ to Lake Powell/Page AZ round trip
7200 feet of elevation climbing out of the valley through Flagstaff

I towed at 60-65 mph.

Truck pulled like a raped ape, was able to maintain 50 mph or better on 6% grades, but was constantly being blocked by slower vehicles and I wasn't willing to make passes with the wide load. Truck wanted to pull harder up hills in the 60mph range but I didn't really feel the need to take that extra gear and rpm.

7.2 mpg over all for the whole trip. Truck made me a believer that I will never need the extra cost and overhead of diesel... flame away!

towing.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas Hemi with the 8 speed transmission and the 4.10 gear rated at 17,000 towing
Larger aftermarket wheels and tires 35/12.5/18
Boat is 14,000 lbs and 36L x 10 foot wide with an annual oversize permit.
600 miles from Chandler AZ to Lake Powell/Page AZ round trip
7200 feet of elevation climbing out of the valley through Flagstaff

I towed at 60-65 mph.

Truck pulled like a raped ape, was able to maintain 50 mph or better on 6% grades, but was constantly being blocked by slower vehicles and I wasn't willing to make passes with the wide load. Truck wanted to pull harder up hills in the 60mph range but I didn't really feel the need to take that extra gear and rpm.

7.2 mpg over all for the whole trip. Truck made me a believer that I will never need the extra cost and overhead of diesel... flame away!

View attachment 887342
I like how you left the MPG for the end. 50/60mph on a hill is cute too. :p

On the flip side...

That looks like a bitchen boat for Powell! You know the rule, post up! ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I like how you left the MPG for the end. 50/60mph on a hill is cute too. :p
Towing over speed limit / safe and reasonable on a oversized load will get you impounded... I am not in that big of a hurry to save 30 minutes on a 5 hour tow...

I spent about 170 dollars on towing fuel... which wasn't even a rounding error on the 210 nautical miles and 1000 dollar fuel bill for the boat. I will make it up the mpg cost on the first oil change...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Towing over speed limit / safe and reasonable on a oversized load will get you impounded... I am not in that big of a hurry to save 30 minutes on a 5 hour tow...

I spent about 170 dollars on towing fuel... which wasn't even a rounding error on the 210 nautical miles and 1000 dollar fuel bill for the boat. I will make it up the mpg cost on the first oil change...
Not after the price of gas goes back up! This is a great time for a long distance drive.

Now...

Post some Powell pics would ya? Sheesh.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Not after the price of gas goes back up! This is a great time for a long distance drive.

Now...

Post some Powell pics would ya? Sheesh.
For some reason, the price of gas at lake powell never changes... 5.88 at dangling rope and 5.10 at Bullfrog! We will make another trip in September regardless of the price of gas! My boat gets 1-1.2 mpg, so my truck is getting 7 times better gas milage!

You saw all the pics in my Powell thread! https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/powell-report-for-those-who-dont-like-the-crowds.218260/#post-3719068

Attachments

95Enforcer

Reaction score
I still enjoy my v10 excursion. Tows the 10k travel trailer just fine and the conquest with ease. Got 10mpg round trip to powell with the boat and averaged a little over 7mpg On a 5000 mile road trip to South Dakota and Yellowstone last summer. Dont mind the fuel cost and I don't have a payment on it. New truck is nice but really expensive for the diesel I want.

@bldrinker are you in the vineyards in AV.

bldrinker

Reaction score
I still enjoy my v10 excursion. Tows the 10k travel trailer just fine and the conquest with ease. Got 10mpg round trip to powell with the boat and averaged a little over 7mpg On a 5000 mile road trip to South Dakota and Yellowstone last summer. Dont mind the fuel cost and I don't have a payment on it. New truck is nice but really expensive for the diesel I want.

@bldrinker are you in the vineyards in AV.
sure am