WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing Report - RAM 6.4L Hemi

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Lol no I do t have 80lbs of tongue weight.
Here is the truck only. I have about 1800lb tongue weight with load distribution. Toy haulers are set up very tongue heavy when empty.

Ok, I got it now... I have to find a way to get about 500 more lbs up front on my boat!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
An interesting deal on the rams is all 2500 are coils on all corners. My 2018 has an outstanding ride. Big heavy dump trailer in tow, same ride. One thing with modern diesels that isn't mentioned here (not that I read anyway) is the exhaust brake coupled with tow/haul which will down shift and work the exhaust brake automatically. It's a huge plus you won't find in a gas rig. That said I was leaning towards the HEMI because of price. Even after my Cummins 2004 truck which I still have.

I bought a 2018 Ram as a way left over last May from Dave Smith in Idaho. $61500 sticker $49800 plus tax and license which they collected and mailed a check a week after I got home so I could register it. Cool process and drive back. HOWEVER - currently I'm sure one could pull that deal locally due to covid.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
What kind of mileage are you guys with the 6.4 Hemi unloaded in everyday driving?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
What kind of mileage are you guys with the 6.4 Hemi unloaded in everyday driving?

With the factory 4:10 gears stock and 35 inch tires... I can nurse it to high 12s around town and 16 tops on the freeway keeping it around 70

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That’s about what I’m getting with my deleted 2011 Dmax, it’s always gotten crappy mileage. It got pretty good mileage after I deleted it, but then after a couple of years it’s back to about 15 on the freeway running around 75-80. I recently deleted the cat thinking it may have been getting clogged after 250,000 miles, but that didn’t make any difference except make it smell like an old piece of Caterpillar earthmoving equipment. It still runs like a bat out of hell and tows my little boat (Howard 22 Offshore) up the Indio grade without downshifting at 70+ mph. I’ve just got a hankering for a new truck, but the new Chevys have a mug only a mother could love. The GMC’s are a little more tolerable, but still not to my liking. One of the guys at work has a new Ford Superduty with the new gasser 7.3 and is getting 10mpg on the freeway. The Rams seem to have the best interior, with the Fords next. I did have a Dodge 1500 back in 09 and it was a serious piece of crap so I have reservations about getting another Mopar product. Hopefully their quality has improved since Fiat took ownership.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Don’t buy a gas 3/4 ton for every day driving.

With the 6 speed and 34” tires with 4:88 gears I’m getting 11 city hoping to get 14 highway.
This is my camping and hunting truck so the mpg don’t bother me. Bought March 2019 at it has 9200 miles.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
An interesting deal on the rams is all 2500 are coils on all corners. My 2018 has an outstanding ride. Big heavy dump trailer in tow, same ride. One thing with modern diesels that isn't mentioned here (not that I read anyway) is the exhaust brake coupled with tow/haul which will down shift and work the exhaust brake automatically. It's a huge plus you won't find in a gas rig. That said I was leaning towards the HEMI because of price. Even after my Cummins 2004 truck which I still have.

I bought a 2018 Ram as a way left over last May from Dave Smith in Idaho. $61500 sticker $49800 plus tax and license which they collected and mailed a check a week after I got home so I could register it. Cool process and drive back. HOWEVER - currently I'm sure one could pull that deal locally due to covid.

Gas truck will hold speed on a hill without a problem. It downshifts in its own when in tow haul.

I usually have to take it out of to haul and downhills to prevent going to slow.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Heck... my 2019 2500 ram get better gas mileage than my 2016 Jeep. It’s the best on gas of all my vehicles. My fleet mileage avg is aboutb12-14. LOL

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
So I am on the fence whether to buy the 1500 or 2500. Is the 2500 ride nice enough for a daily driver? Going to buy the 4x4 crew cab w/ the Hemi. Towing a deck boat to Powell a few times from SoCal and to Hav a couple times. Mostly the boat will be at Hav. Pro’s Con’s? I have had a few Diesels and I am not going that route this time due to all the emission bullshit. I’m tired of bulletproof ig, deleting, etc. I feel the Hemi will be just fine. I drive 10 minutes to work. I do plan on lifting it a little bit. May buy new or used 2019 or 2020. Used preferred if I can find one I like. Need to make sure the gearing is proper. Heard they have 3 options I think. Thoughts?
My neighbor had a Dodge 2500 with the Hemi. He tows an older 23' wakeboard boat (before they were monster sized). He said the Hemi struggled towing the boat up grades, especially if it was a windy road where you have to brake, and lose momentum.

He just bought a Ram 2500 diesel. He said it tows much better.

Sent From Tapatalk

BajaMike

Reaction score
Great performance from your truck! Nice boat.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My neighbor had a Dodge 2500 with the Hemi. He tows an older 23' wakeboard boat (before they were monster sized). He said the Hemi struggled towing the boat up grades, especially if it was a windy road where you have to brake, and lose momentum.

He just bought a Ram 2500 diesel. He said it tows much better.

Sent From Tapatalk
Must have been the heaviest 23’ boat ever.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Only nerve you touched was when you quoted $3900 for a real gear in my truck.

Why is that? Wasn't me, I don't do diff work. That's just the price I was told.

What seems to be the issue though?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Given the impact COVID has on my driving habits, I have only put 6500 miles on mine. The registration just came due at about 550 bucks and sits for days at a time. That has made my decision even better because the four towing trips I have done have been uneventful and highly successful. The bad gas milage pencils out many dollars ahead when you are not putting many on. I am at one 75 dollar oil change a year at this rate.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Why is that? Wasn't me, I don't do diff work. That's just the price I was told.

What seems to be the issue though?

Well since you gave me the quote... you never said you were going to sub it out.

Maybe just be honest 😘

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well since you gave me the quote... you never said you were going to sub it out.

Maybe just be honest 😘

Lol....

I don't sub things out. They guy that owns the shop I worked at was gonna do the work. I'm damm sure I explained all of that to you!

So you think his price was too high? It's kinna coming back to me now. I think we priced out a top of the line gear set (always expensive) all new first class bearings (also expensive) and all new seals, gaskets and the labor to do it right.

On my truck, whoever replaced the gears used some china made crap, and I lost a tooth on the ring gear a few years after i bought it. Towing heavy will do that every time.

If i remember right, didn't you say someone gave you a price of like 1400.00 do re-do your gears? I sure hope you didn't go that route!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Lol....

I don't sub things out. They guy that owns the shop I worked at was gonna do the work. I'm damm sure I explained all of that to you!

So you think his price was too high? It's kinna coming back to me now. I think we priced out a top of the line gear set (always expensive) all new first class bearings (also expensive) and all new seals, gaskets and the labor to do it right.

On my truck, whoever replaced the gears used some china made crap, and I lost a tooth on the ring gear a few years after i bought it. Towing heavy will do that every time.

If i remember right, didn't you say someone gave you a price of like 1400.00 do re-do your gears? I sure hope you didn't go that route!

I must of touched a nerve.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Gas truck will hold speed on a hill without a problem. It downshifts in its own when in tow haul.

I usually have to take it out of to haul and downhills to prevent going to slow.

Glad to hear. Your pretty well matched to your load. These guys (sometimes clowns LOL) think the new 8 spd needs better programming. I think the Hemi did pretty well but just like anything else...always compared to Ford. I like the Ford vehicles and Trucks. The Company sucks balls as why their stock is shit.

For reference...

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’m swinging through. I tow with a half ton my 10,000 lb trailer. Btw the half ton I tow with is an ecoboost. You guys with your 8 cylinders haha

Carry on

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m swinging through. I tow with a half ton my 10,000 lb trailer. Btw the half ton I tow with is an ecoboost. You guys with your 8 cylinders haha

Carry on

You guys with your over heating 6cylinders... 10k trailer that’s cute. That’s what mine is empty....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Glad to hear. Your pretty well matched to your load. These guys (sometimes clowns LOL) think the new 8 spd needs better programming. I think the Hemi did pretty well but just like anything else...always compared to Ford. I like the Ford vehicles and Trucks. The Company sucks balls as why their stock is shit.

For reference...

So since your boat is in dry dock...

You decided to come fishing here??

😁

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

For reference...

Good to see you post Dave. Hope you and the family are doing well bud.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
So since your boat is in dry dock...

You decided to come fishing here??

😁

Since you stopped building Hot Rods I see you in here fishing, yourself. :p

Starboard engine goes back in today. Oxnard is a long fucking way to work on boats. Evan and I will be up there all weekend.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Good to see you post Dave. Hope you and the family are doing well bud.

Were hanging in there. Lots of challenges as of late but were staying in gear so to speak. #ocmerrill99 on IG if you want to see current stuff with Four of a Kind. Ill be starting a couple boat WTF threads re my Lavey and Dads cruiser here. I'm back seeing what the crowd is like. LOL. FB Sucks.