WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing Report - RAM 6.4L Hemi

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas Hemi with the 8 speed transmission and the 4.10 gear rated at 17,000 towing
Larger aftermarket wheels and tires 35/12.5/18
Boat is 14,000 lbs and 36L x 10 foot wide with an annual oversize permit.
600 miles from Chandler AZ to Lake Powell/Page AZ round trip
7200 feet of elevation climbing out of the valley through Flagstaff

I towed at 60-65 mph.

Truck pulled like a raped ape, was able to maintain 50 mph or better on 6% grades, but was constantly being blocked by slower vehicles and I wasn't willing to make passes with the wide load. Truck wanted to pull harder up hills in the 60mph range but I didn't really feel the need to take that extra gear and rpm.

7.2 mpg over all for the whole trip. Truck made me a believer that I will never need the extra cost and overhead of diesel... flame away!

towing.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas Hemi with the 8 speed transmission and the 4.10 gear rated at 17,000 towing

I towed at 60-65 mph.

Truck pulled like a raped ape, was able to maintain 50 mph or better on 6% grades, but was constantly being blocked by slower vehicles and I wasn't willing to make passes with the wide load. Truck wanted to pull harder up hills in the 60mph range but I didn't really feel the need to take that extra gear and rpm.

7.2 mpg over all for the whole trip. Truck made me a believer that I will never need the extra cost and overhead of diesel... flame away!

View attachment 887342

I like how you left the MPG for the end. 50/60mph on a hill is cute too. :p

On the flip side...

That looks like a bitchen boat for Powell! You know the rule, post up! ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Towing over speed limit / safe and reasonable on a oversized load will get you impounded... I am not in that big of a hurry to save 30 minutes on a 5 hour tow...

I spent about 170 dollars on towing fuel... which wasn't even a rounding error on the 210 nautical miles and 1000 dollar fuel bill for the boat. I will make it up the mpg cost on the first oil change...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Towing over speed limit / safe and reasonable on a oversized load will get you impounded... I am not in that big of a hurry to save 30 minutes on a 5 hour tow...

I spent about 170 dollars on towing fuel... which wasn't even a rounding error on the 210 nautical miles and 1000 dollar fuel bill for the boat. I will make it up the mpg cost on the first oil change...

Not after the price of gas goes back up! This is a great time for a long distance drive.

Now...

Post some Powell pics would ya? Sheesh.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Not after the price of gas goes back up! This is a great time for a long distance drive.

Now...

Post some Powell pics would ya? Sheesh.

For some reason, the price of gas at lake powell never changes... 5.88 at dangling rope and 5.10 at Bullfrog! We will make another trip in September regardless of the price of gas! My boat gets 1-1.2 mpg, so my truck is getting 7 times better gas milage!

You saw all the pics in my Powell thread! https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...who-dont-like-the-crowds.218260/#post-3719068

Attachments

• wetherrill.jpg
    wetherrill.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 330
  • cath4.jpg
    cath4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 338
  • mk2.jpg
    mk2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 334

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I drink the 6.4 Hemi cool aid. Wish I had the 8 speed though. This setup gets 7mpg averaging 55-60. Trailer is 10,000 empty truck is around 7,000. So loaded up I’m pushing close to 19,000lbs. Not bad for a gas engine.
6E6E1F32-1696-45DF-B0C1-C502D445CAB4.jpeg

95Enforcer

Reaction score
I still enjoy my v10 excursion. Tows the 10k travel trailer just fine and the conquest with ease. Got 10mpg round trip to powell with the boat and averaged a little over 7mpg On a 5000 mile road trip to South Dakota and Yellowstone last summer. Dont mind the fuel cost and I don't have a payment on it. New truck is nice but really expensive for the diesel I want.

@bldrinker are you in the vineyards in AV.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I still enjoy my v10 excursion. Tows the 10k travel trailer just fine and the conquest with ease. Got 10mpg round trip to powell with the boat and averaged a little over 7mpg On a 5000 mile road trip to South Dakota and Yellowstone last summer. Dont mind the fuel cost and I don't have a payment on it. New truck is nice but really expensive for the diesel I want.

sure am

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
"Cathedral in the Desert", an arm in the Escalente....

37°17'18.9"N 110°54'53.8"W
37.288585, -110.914955
I like the towing report on the 6.4L. should have done one for the boat on the trip up to escalante. Thats a haul in itself as well. Every couple seasons we run up there to check out the ruins. Love that lake!!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Pretty sure my next truck will be an HD gasser [emoji106]

With the big 3 offering modern technology on their latest offerings, and good power output, it just makes sense if you don’t need the highest tow rating offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

On the flip side...

That looks like a bitchen boat for Powell! You know the rule, post up! ;)
I am curious what is your diesel pick up MPG with a similar load?
Sorry I know it’s an old post I guess I didn’t see it the first time around.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score

I’m still running a V10 F250. I can put 5 new motors and transmissions in it for the cost of a new truck. Sure the MPG sucks but I also don’t have a $1000.00 a month truck payment.

For me the cost of fuel and maintenance on the older truck makes more sense then a new truck.

With that said...if I was flush with cash I’d have a brand new diesel! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The new gas trucks are perfect for those who don’t tow a heavy and often. Also no expensive diesel repairs or risk of those repairs. Usually saves 10k off the purchase price which buys allot of fuel.
But if you have to be the guy that tows 65-70 and has to be up the hill first and you have to be at the campground 5 minutes before me. Diesel is the way to go.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am curious what is your diesel pick up MPG with a similar load?
Sorry I know it’s an old post I guess I didn’t see it the first time around.

My dinasour 7.3?

I have no clue what that boat might weigh, but my whole set up fully loaded is 19.8k on the scales. Towing up to Oregon, I averaged around 11mpg. The hills bring the average down big time! Flat ground I might see 14. But..

Once I leave the stupid laws of CA behind, I'll run 80mph all day. I have no problem passing people either. ;)

I have a gear venders, so my mileage get even better under those conditions. I have a single 50 gallon tank, so fuel stops are few and far between.

I had a gas truck. It got 6mpg. Dual 16 gal tanks. One tank would last exactly one hour towing the same toy hauler. So every two hours....

I had to stop and buy 32 gallons of fuel.

My friends with Diesel trucks gave me endless shit on the way to St Anthony's one year. You have to get fuel AGAIN??? Wtf??? LoL

I sold that POS truck when we got home from that trip. I'll never own a gas truck again! :p

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My dinasour 7.3?

I have no clue what that boat might weigh, but my whole set up fully loaded is 19.8k on the scales. Towing up to Oregon, I averaged around 11mpg. The hills bring the average down big time! Flat ground I might see 14. But..

Once I leave the stupid laws of CA behind, I'll run 80mph all day. I have no problem passing people either. ;)

I have a gear venders, so my mileage get even better under those conditions. I have a single 50 gallon tank, so fuel stops are few and far between.

I had a gas truck. It got 6mpg. Dual 16 gal tanks. One tank would last exactly one hour towing the same toy hauler. So every two hours....

I had to stop and buy 32 gallons of fuel.

My friends with Diesel trucks gave me endless shit on the way to St Anthony's one year. You have to get fuel AGAIN??? Wtf??? LoL

I sold that POS truck when we got home from that trip. I'll never own a gas truck again! :p
What gas truck?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What gas truck?

Exact same truck I have now. F350, crew cab 4x4 long bed. Both trucks were identical, except for power.

I had done a few simple mods to the 460. Exhaust, cold air intake, Jacobs ignition. Nuthin major. Ran great unloaded. But hook up the toy hauler, and forget it. Totally useless.

Tried to head up to Kenedy Meadows one year. A few miles up the road, the truck just stopped cold. Foot to the floor. Wouldn't move. I had to put it in low range and crawl up the hill. Thank God it was 4 wheel drive! My 7.3 went up the same hill, with the same trailer, no issues. No need for low range now.

My friend Mark tried to get up there in his Izusu. (Duramax). He said about half way up, every warning light on his dash came on! He said he had no idea the truck had that many idiot lights on it!

Its good to have a real truck sometimes...

:p

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Exact same truck I have now. F350, crew cab 4x4 long bed. Both trucks were identical, except for power.

I had done a few simple mods to the 460. Exhaust, cold air intake, Jacobs ignition. Nuthin major. Ran great unloaded. But hook up the toy hauler, and forget it. Totally useless.

Tried to head up to Kenedy Meadows one year. A few miles up the road, the truck just stopped cold. Foot to the floor. Wouldn't move. I had to put it in low range and crawl up the hill. Thank God it was 4 wheel drive! My 7.3 went up the same hill, with the same trailer, no issues. No need for low range now.

My friend Mark tried to get up there in his Izusu. (Duramax). He said about half way up, every warning light on his dash came on! He said he had no idea the truck had that many idiot lights on it!

Its good to have a real truck sometimes...

:p
Yeah I’m sure that 460 was horrible. That don’t really compare to the new stuff that has atleast 2 more gears if not 6 more lol. Not to mention better fuel injection systems.
Like I said gas trucks aren’t for everyone.

my truck is 1.5yrs old and has 8500 miles and tows 13-14k just fine. Imagine how much money I would have spent to do the same trips. And what would have been better? 5-10mph and maybe 3-5mpg?

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score

Love Your Post!!

Not that I am a diesel hater but my goodness the groupy mentality these days on diesel trucks is stupid. Maintenance Cost, Purchase Cost are outrageous and only are justified if you need the additional tow capacity and/or tow very frequently to justify the economy. Otherwise its just Big Dick talk.

Who wouldn't want more power and increased fuel economy, but do the math first.

#Gassers

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Love Your Post!!

Not that I am a diesel hater but my goodness the groupy mentality these days on diesel trucks is stupid. Maintenance Cost, Purchase Cost are outrageous and only are justified if you need the additional tow capacity and/or tow very frequently to justify the economy. Otherwise its just Big Dick talk.

Who wouldn't want more power and increased fuel economy, but do the math first.

#Gassers

RDP has no room for common sense. Take that shit elsewhere. Yeah no shit if I was rich I would buy a diesel. Nobody is saying diesels aren’t better in every way.
For me personally I would rather put that extra money into something more important than being able to tow slightly easier, slightly faster and slightly better fuel economy.
But hey if you got money to burn buy the diesel, I unfortunately have a budget.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I’m sure that 460 was horrible. That don’t really compare to the new stuff that has atleast 2 more gears if not 6 more lol. Not to mention better fuel injection systems.
Like I said gas trucks aren’t for everyone.

my truck is 1.5yrs old and has 8500 miles and tows 13-14k just fine. Imagine how much money I would have spent to do the same trips. And what would have been better? 5-10mph and maybe 3-5mpg?

Well...

The OP says he got 1.2mpg improvement over my old 460. Not a lot of improvement there, for how much more money did he spend??? Doh!!

The REAL difference in the new trucks is the ride. I'm sure your truck rides 1000 times better than mine!!! :p

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well...

The OP says he got 1.2mpg improvement over my old 460. Not a lot of improvement there, for how much more money did he spend??? Doh!!

The REAL difference in the new trucks is the ride. I'm sure your truck rides 1000 times better than mine!!! :p
No it rides like a straight axle 3/4 ton. Probably throw some Thuren springs and sway bar.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No it rides like a straight axle 3/4 ton. Probably throw some Thuren springs and sway bar.

Weird. All the new trucks I've been in have rode like a dream compared to mine. The new F350's are crazy smooth. Unloaded or loaded. Makes me jelly to go for a ride.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Well...

2019 ram tradesman regular cab was 35k plus tax and license out the door... My 15 year old chevy that I still own would not tow the boat and wasn’t rated to tow it. So I needed to buy a modern truck with the correct tow rating if I want to tow my 14,000 lbs cruiser... This Ram is almost a year old and has 6500 miles on it, so I will never come close to Break even on diesel...

CLdrinker

Reaction score
2019 ram tradesman regular cab was 35k plus tax and license out the door... My 15 year old chevy that I still own would not tow the boat and wasn’t rated to tow it. So I needed to buy a modern truck with the correct tow rating if I want to tow my 14,000 lbs cruiser... This Ram is almost a year old and has 6500 miles on it, so I will never come close to Break even on diesel...
Ouch I feel better for what I paid now.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You're never gonna break even on that boat either, but that didn't stop you from buying it. :p

What cracks me up it how Everyone will spend cubic dollars on their boats, with NO hesitation what so ever, yet whine to to moon about the vehicle they buy to tow it.

Just my personal observation. It's pretzel logic to me. ;)

I'm a broke dick. I have to be content dinosaur shit! lol

Javajoe

Reaction score

I towed at 60-65 mph.

View attachment 887342
So I am on the fence whether to buy the 1500 or 2500. Is the 2500 ride nice enough for a daily driver? Going to buy the 4x4 crew cab w/ the Hemi. Towing a deck boat to Powell a few times from SoCal and to Hav a couple times. Mostly the boat will be at Hav. Pro’s Con’s? I have had a few Diesels and I am not going that route this time due to all the emission bullshit. I’m tired of bulletproof ig, deleting, etc. I feel the Hemi will be just fine. I drive 10 minutes to work. I do plan on lifting it a little bit. May buy new or used 2019 or 2020. Used preferred if I can find one I like. Need to make sure the gearing is proper. Heard they have 3 options I think. Thoughts?

95Enforcer

Reaction score
So I am on the fence whether to buy the 1500 or 2500. Is the 2500 ride nice enough for a daily driver? Going to buy the 4x4 crew cab w/ the Hemi. Towing a deck boat to Powell a few times from SoCal and to Hav a couple times. Mostly the boat will be at Hav. Pro’s Con’s? I have had a few Diesels and I am not going that route this time due to all the emission bullshit. I’m tired of bulletproof ig, deleting, etc. I feel the Hemi will be just fine. I drive 10 minutes to work. I do plan on lifting it a little bit. May buy new or used 2019 or 2020. Used preferred if I can find one I like. Need to make sure the gearing is proper. Heard they have 3 options I think. Thoughts?

I dont personally have a Dodge but been looking at them pretty hard. I would rather have too much truck and not need It than regret buying a 1500 and needing the 2500 down the road. Plans change in life and you may want a bigger boat or travel trailer down the road. I would strongly go with the 2500 even if the ride was a little stiffer. I like having a heavier duty vehicle. I would maybe look into a power wagon which may fit the bill for you. All in allI would go test drive them and see what you like and need and go from there.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I dont personally have a Dodge but been looking at them pretty hard. I would rather have too much truck and not need It than regret buying a 1500 and needing the 2500 down the road. Plans change in life and you may want a bigger boat or travel trailer down the road. I would strongly go with the 2500 even if the ride was a little stiffer. I like having a heavier duty vehicle. I would maybe look into a power wagon which may fit the bill for you. All in allI would go test drive them and see what you like and need and go from there.

X2

Javajoe

Reaction score
Yea that’s what I was thinking. Thx

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have an 2019 Ram 2500 regular longbed cab on 35 inch tires, I bet its total length and wheel base isn't much different from a CC short bed... Its rides pretty bouncy unloaded and I only run about 40-45lbs in the tires. Its hard to say what that means but I don't hate driving it. I used to drive it for about 5 months everyday about 30 miles a day in town to and from work, but now its parked becuase I work from home, so I am not sure how I would have felt after a year or so of daily driving.

I will tell you this... my 2005 Chevy 2500 with IFS that I still own rides like a caddy compared to a SFA 2500 dodge...

Javajoe

Reaction score
Yea I had an 04 CC F250 SB Gasser and ran like a caddie. I also had an 04 CC F250 Diesel LB lift 12” w/ 37’s and air bags and that truck the wife hated because it bounced bad empty but she did like that it was super fast. I just got to be careful with the lift and get a good one. Damn Riverside and Corona Fwy’s suck
I do worry about a stiff ride

pronstar

Reaction score

If the capacity of a 1500 isnt enough, and you plan on lifting it...get the 3500.

The coil springs in the back of the 2500 makes lifting it more difficult and more expensive than the leafs you get with the 3500.

Then you can put a Carli/King setup on it to get a smooth ride [emoji106]

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have a 6.4hemi 2500 I just put 4.88 gears in. If you want to come over and take a spin let me know.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If the capacity of a 1500 isnt enough, and you plan on lifting it...get the 3500.

The coil springs in the back of the 2500 makes lifting it more difficult and more expensive than the leafs you get with the 3500.

Carli and Thuren have rear coils. You would need a rear track bar and helper bags.

These trucks take 37”s stock so no need for rear lift. But the lifted rear coils ride way better.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
I have a 6.4hemi 2500 I just put 4.88 gears in. If you want to come over and take a spin let me know.

Oh sweet. Glad to hear you got the gears done. That things gotta be beast now.

95Enforcer

Reaction score

Im wondering if you can get the factory air ride on the 2500 or 3500 with the 6.4l. I know the diesels have the option.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Here is my setup empty. View attachment 918951

So I am trying to dial in my tongue weigh and noticed that you only have like 80lbs? Seems really low, but maybe that’s correct. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

I am not using weight distribution with my class 5 hitch, but have 780 lbs of tongue weight according to the scale. What I have read is that I need closer to 10% which seems high... I ordered a 265 dollar tongue weight scale from etrailer today.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So I am trying to dial in my tongue weigh and noticed that you only have like 80lbs? Seems really low, but maybe that’s correct. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

I am not using weight distribution with my class 5 hitch, but have 780 lbs of tongue weight according to the scale. What I have read is that I need closer to 10% which seems high... I ordered a 265 dollar tongue weight scale from etrailer today.
Lol no I do t have 80lbs of tongue weight.
Here is the truck only. I have about 1800lb tongue weight with load distribution. Toy haulers are set up very tongue heavy when empty.
F3EE204C-6268-4F1B-A1B7-626FE966354A.jpeg

pronstar

Reaction score
Carli and Thuren have rear coils. You would need a rear track bar and helper bags.

These trucks take 37”s stock so no need for rear lift. But the lifted rear coils ride way better.

True, no one said they didn’t.

But if you’re gonna tow heavy-ish and want a lift, they’ll steer you toward the 3500.