WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing with a bronco

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I have a 28' magic and I'm thinking about getting a bronco to launch it with. The ramp is good - not steep, and it would be very flat ground from my storage to the ramp. I'm pretty sure it can move the boat, I'm just wondering about how much it will squat under the tounge weight. I'm guessing weight is around 250 to 300 pounds. I know about short wheel base not being safe at speed. This combo would only see low speed around town and back and forth to the ramp.

Lots of trucks available for decent prices.

Will it work?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What year?

Should work ok, if your not going to far on the street.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
What kind of bronco? I see tahoes towing big boats all the time.

Trash

Reaction score
Old school Bronco, Bronco II, or newer full size Bronco? If it's the latter, you will be fine. I towed a 21', 5000 lb boat/trailer combo from California to Michigan and back in 1997. They are great for backing and parking because of the short coupled wheel base. Power is a little anemic though.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Lots of good deals, want the 5.8, 4x4' ice cold a/c. There's a nice one in the rep classifieds, but a little more than I Want to spend. There some dealer in so cal that wants $26k for an '95 with 25000 miles. Crack smoker, I guess.

This wil be at the islander and the ramp isn't steep. Just around town driving to get gas and service, than maybe a little off reading n the cooler months. Drive my 30 mpg car back and forth and still have a safe launch/tow vehicle. Going to be fun this winter looking for the perfect truck.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Lots of good deals, want the 5.8, 4x4' ice cold a/c. There's a nice one in the rep classifieds, but a little more than I Want to spend. There some dealer in so cal that wants $26k for an '95 with 25000 miles. Crack smoker, I guess.

This wil be at the islander and the ramp isn't steep. Just around town driving to get gas and service, than maybe a little off reading n the cooler months. Drive my 30 mpg car back and forth and still have a safe launch/tow vehicle. Going to be fun this winter looking for the perfect truck.

???????

NdaWind

Reaction score
When we were at the Beach Comber I used my jeep wrangler to launch and retrieve a 22' advantage (heavy boat) only problem I had was backing down the ramp which had some loose gravel the boat started to pull me down. Instictively I braked and started to jack knife. From then on i just used low range, if it broke loose I knew the boat would stop pulling me when the water reached the transom my job was just to keep it straight. With the Bronco I would only be concerned with driving it to town and the braking. Buy gas at the marina problem solved

Trash

Reaction score
There some dealer in so cal that wants $26k for an '95 with 25000 miles. Crack smoker, I guess.

I paid that for a NEW, loaded EB 351 in 1995! I think it stickered at $32-34k.

ski stoker

Reaction score
Hey JB How about this one? I've owned it since 1999 and used it to launch our boat at the Beachcomber. Just bought a Toyota 4Runner so I need to sell it. Here is the info:

1994 Ford Bronco XLT very well maintained. Oil changed every 3000 miles and serviced regularly. 184,000 hwy miles, 351 5.8L V8, power windows, power door locks, cruise control, cd player, new tires, tinted windows, custom cover, and more. Hard to find one this clean! must sell $6200obo. Call Jerry @ 949-722-1146, leave a message and I will call you back asap.

2012_1005Bronco0002.jpg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
How much sag do you get when there's a heavy load or a trailer hooked up?
Got your pm, btw.

ski stoker

Reaction score
There is no sag even with things in the back and the boat attached. The difference is our boat is a 20 foot Stoker that only weighs about 1,800lbs not counting the trailer. The tongue weight is probably around 300lbs and my guess is it would be different with your Magic. I have towed a 24 Ultra and 21 Schiada(heavy layup) and their was no sag either.

Before this Bronco I towed with a Jeep Wrangler (real short wheel base) and due to my obsessiveness I put on air shocks so I could level out the load if I needed to. I think they were about $200 installed and went from 20 to 150psi. They worked really well. Thought about putting them on the Bronco but didn?t need them. The air shocks fill and empty just like a tire and if I recall it allows for an additional 1000lbs of tongue weight.

I am around today if you want to call for more info. It has really been a great vehicle

Reaction score
I have a 28' magic and I'm thinking about getting a bronco to launch it with. The ramp is good - not steep, and it would be very flat ground from my storage to the ramp. I'm pretty sure it can move the boat, I'm just wondering about how much it will squat under the tounge weight. I'm guessing weight is around 250 to 300 pounds. I know about short wheel base not being safe at speed. This combo would only see low speed around town and back and forth to the ramp.

Lots of trucks available for decent prices.

Will it work?

I used to have a 96 bronco with a 4" rancho lift on it. It worked great pulling a 20 foot boat but when I bought my 26" elimainater Daytona It was one bunkin bronco, all over the place Squated bad and my transmission was pissed at me. I own a 28" Magic deck boat now and there is no way I could have used my old bronco to haul it, Not without beefier springs and a line up of spare trannys in the garage. Good luck with your truck hunting and if your dead set on a bronco, hook up the boat on your test drive and put it to the test first

BajaMike

Reaction score
Why not get an older 3/4 ton truck or SUV that you can actually tow it legally and safely with? Maybe you might want to tow further than the ramp some time.

It's never safe (and probably not legal) to be under powered, under braked, under chassied, under geared, even for 2 blocks.

Get are real truck, not an OJ Mobile.

:D

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
There are at least two guys in the Islander that tow with Jeeps. One launches a DCB F26' the other launches an Eliminator Fun Deck. I'd say if the jeep can tow and launch, then it would be a walk in the park for a Bronco.

Were you able to get a spot in the park?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ski stoker

Reaction score
Hey JB if you are still interested in a Bronco you can test drive this one towing your boat around town, launch and retrieve, as I need to get this sold. Just lowered the price to $4750obo. I am doing a turn around trip from OC to Havasu on Saturday, Oct 27, leaving OC at 4am to put my boat in storage so I can meet you around 9am if you want. It?s currently in OC so if you want to tow a boat here as a test drive you can do that as well.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
My boat will probably never leave Havasu again as it's only been in so cal once in 8 years so needing to tow it anywhere isn't an issue (if an emergency popped up, I've got a great friend with an F350 that I can borrow:D

I'm looking at a Bronco due to the parking/storage issue at the Islander. It'll fit in the space with my Fifth wheel, boat and cart. A truck simply won't fit unless I find a (very) rare regular cab short bed 3/4 ton. Plus maybe a little off roading in the winter...

I currently pull it with a 1500 gmc crew cab 4x4 that has no problems and that's back and forth to Black Meadow and Parker.

I'm still thinking this over and not ready to buy yet - sorry stoker...

No spot, yet Chip - but I have my people working on one:champagne: