WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing with a late model suburban

69hondo

Reaction score
Whos tows with a late model suburban? We are thinking of getting the wife a new suburban but I dont want to spend that much money on something that isn't capable of towing our boat across the desert. We have a 27 foot deck boat. Specs say suburban can tow up to 6300 LBS. I am only seeing a differential gear ratio of 3.08. Anyone pulling any weight with these? how does it do with that gear ratio?

Tank

Reaction score
Whos tows with a late model suburban? We are thinking of getting the wife a new suburban but I dont want to spend that much money on something that isn't capable of towing our boat across the desert. We have a 27 foot deck boat. Specs say suburban can tow up to 6300 LBS. I am only seeing a differential gear ratio of 3.08. Anyone pulling any weight with these? how does it do with that gear ratio?

Are you looking at the 1500's or the 2500s? 2500 should tow that NO PROBLEM! We tow with our 2500 all the time. Trailers, pulling cars on flat beds, boats, etc. Tows like nothings back there as long as it's under like 8k lbs. over 8k and up grades gets challenging.

Our 4wd Yukon XL 2500 is an 07 with basically every option including some aftermarket stuff (intake, headers, rims, etc). We got it as a lease trade in. I say all the time I'll never sell it and it's one of the best cars we've ever owned. We got it for my wife and she loves it. 6 Captains chairs, TV's, room for days, tows well, looks good very comfy. Only has 75k miles as she doesn't drive it much. Did replace the tranny at about 60k miles and fuel pump at about 70k miles. I understand that can be a problem with them. Also have the crack in the dash that everyone seems to get. Other than that. Been an outstanding vehicle.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Sub is 1500 only now. 3.42 gears are standard if you order the towing package and will bump towing capacity to around 8k. Will have no issues towing your boat with the standard 5.3/6 speed trans, but the 6.2/ 10 speed (available only on upper level trims and more difficult to find) will tow even better. I would not want one with 3.08s. My 11 Tahoe and now 19 Tahoe both have 5.3/6 speed/3.42s and have plenty of power for that weight. My ‘11 struggled with my 8k Toyhauler going up grades, but was OK on flat ground when not at altitude. Lot more wind resistance and tongue weight on the TH compared to a boat.

Edit: GM does make a 2500 for government fleet use but towing capacity is 3500lb, and I don’t believe the general public can order one, price is somewhere around 80k.

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
Are you looking at the 1500's or the 2500s? 2500 should tow that NO PROBLEM! We tow with our 2500 all the time. Trailers, pulling cars on flat beds, boats, etc. Tows like nothings back there as long as it's under like 8k lbs. over 8k and up grades gets challenging.

Our 4wd Yukon XL 2500 is an 07 with basically every option including some aftermarket stuff (intake, headers, rims, etc). We got it as a lease trade in. I say all the time I'll never sell it and it's one of the best cars we've ever owned. We got it for my wife and she loves it. 6 Captains chairs, TV's, room for days, tows well, looks good very comfy. Only has 75k miles as she doesn't drive it much. Did replace the tranny at about 60k miles and fuel pump at about 70k miles. I understand that can be a problem with them. Also have the crack in the dash that everyone seems to get. Other than that. Been an outstanding vehicle.
6.2 ?

rrrr

Reaction score
Our 4wd Yukon XL 2500 is an 07 with basically every option including some aftermarket stuff (intake, headers, rims, etc). I say all the time I'll never sell it and it's one of the best cars we've ever owned. Did replace the tranny at about 60k miles and fuel pump. I understand that can be a problem with them. Been an outstanding vehicle.

Replacing a transmission at 60,000 miles doesn't seem to match with "outstanding". Do you tow with it? If so, what, and how much does it weight?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Make sure you get the Max Trailering Package. This will give you 3.42 gears and the max tow rating.

The standard “tow package” is just towing equipment like a bitch receiver and 4/7 pin connectors. It has 3.08 gears.

Our 2018 Suburban has 3.08 gears, great for the highway but wouldn’t be great for heavy towing since it’s only a 6-speed tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get the Max Trailering Package. This will give you 3.42 gears and the max tow rating.

The standard “tow package” is just towing equipment like a bitch receiver and 4/7 pin connectors. It has 3.08 gears.

Our 2018 Suburban has 3.08 gears, great for the highway but wouldn’t be great for heavy towing since it’s only a 6-speed tranny.

Noted.

Tank

Reaction score
Replacing a transmission at 60,000 miles doesn't seem to match with "outstanding". Do you tow with it? If so, what, and how much does it weight?
I get your point. I've owned GMC and Chevy vehicles for my whole life and never replaced a major component on any of them. From what I understand form reading up on it, this particular trans had a known problem and was notorious for needing replacement. So, when we bought the car, we bought the extended warranty that covered the trans. Little education before purchase and protection paid off so I don't really count it as a hit to me since I knew it may have been an issue, took the precautions which paid off. I'd by another 07-14 style Yukon all day long. Again, it's been an outstanding vehicle for us.

Tow all kinds of stuff. Flat bed trailer loaded with 5-7k stuff. smaller ski boat, Travel trailer 6-7k lbs. And even towed the Cigarette around a bit with it. I have no issues towing anything under 8k lbs. but obiusly bought a duramax to tow the Cig as it is a weeeeee bit over the rating.:eek::eek:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Im A GM guy, but the new expedition has the 3.5 ecoboost / 10 speed trans and i believe a 10k tow capacity.....just get the warranty!

Those tow rating are inaccurate and not possible. Please stay off the roads, I fear for my family knowing you are towing something on our nations highways. I have a '77 big block 3/4 ton suburban that will out tow any new modern SUV. It makes half the HP, has brakes half the size, and the chassis is like a wet noodle, but they don't make them like they used to and it gets 5 MPG. It is unpossible for a v6 to tow anything over 5000 lbs.

77-chevy-suburban-scottsdale-k-20-4wd-auto-1.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Those tow rating are inaccurate and not possible. Please stay off the roads, I fear for my family knowing you are towing something on our nations highways. I have a '77 big block suburban that will out tow any new modern SUV. It makes half the HP, has brakes half the size, and the chassis is like a wet noodle, but they don't make them like they used to and it gets 5 MPG.
But it was made when trucks had real steel

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I get your point. I've owned GMC and Chevy vehicles for my whole life and never replaced a major component on any of them. From what I understand form reading up on it, this particular trans had a known problem and was notorious for needing replacement. So, when we bought the car, we bought the extended warranty that covered the trans. Little education before purchase and protection paid off so I don't really count it as a hit to me since I knew it may have been an issue, took the precautions which paid off. I'd by another 07-14 style Yukon all day long. Again, it's been an outstanding vehicle for us.

Tow all kinds of stuff. Flat bed trailer loaded with 5-7k stuff. smaller ski boat, Travel trailer 6-7k lbs. And even towed the Cigarette around a bit with it. I have no issues towing anything under 8k lbs. but obiusly bought a duramax to tow the Cig as it is a weeeeee bit over the rating.:eek::eek:

That’s great you’ve had such good luck, I just bought my first ever ford because my 08 Yukon Denali with 100K is such a POS. Runs good but the trans is failing, rear main seal is leaking, Door handles keep breaking, window regulators keep breaking, dash is cracked all over, cruise control doesn’t work, pwr mirrors are broken, computer for the tire monitor is broken so we always have a dash light on, paint on buttons for AC/Heat and fan controls are worn off... I could go on for days. I love the truck itself, super comfy, hauls tons of people and the boat, love the captains chairs but the thing is just falling apart around me.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Those tow rating are inaccurate and not possible. Please stay off the roads, I fear for my family knowing you are towing something on our nations highways. I have a '77 big block 3/4 ton suburban that will out tow any new modern SUV. It makes half the HP, has brakes half the size, and the chassis is like a wet noodle, but they don't make them like they used to and it gets 5 MPG. It is unpossible for a v6 to tow anything over 5000 lbs.

View attachment 832297

Have you towed with one? I have both a Denali with the 6.2 and an F150 3.5 ecoboost with the max tow pkg.

69hondo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will definetely be looking for one with the max trailering setup.

Tank

Reaction score
That’s great you’ve had such good luck, I just bought my first ever ford because my 08 Yukon Denali with 100K is such a POS. Runs good but the trans is failing, rear main seal is leaking, Door handles keep breaking, window regulators keep breaking, dash is cracked all over, cruise control doesn’t work, pwr mirrors are broken, computer for the tire monitor is broken so we always have a dash light on, paint on buttons for AC/Heat and fan controls are worn off... I could go on for days. I love the truck itself, super comfy, hauls tons of people and the boat, love the captains chairs but the thing is just falling apart around me.
Damn, that sucks. Sorry for the issues. Like I said, I've owned countless GM trucks / SUV's and have always had great luck with them.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will definetely be looking for one with the max trailering setup.

Note that it may hard to find.

I found few Max Tow Silverados or Suburbans when I was shopping for CPO vehicles.

Lots of ads said they had it, but they all had the regular tow package (which is standard on the suburban)

Xring01

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with the Tow Package...
Rated for 8500lbs... I tow a 6500 Boat with no problems,, thats on honest 6500lbs... could be more.

oldschool

Reaction score
It’s likely the oil pan gasket leaking and not the rear main. I have or have had most of the same issues with our 07 Denali, but I fix them and move on. It’s still running strong after 13 years and 160,000 miles, I wouldn’t think twice about towing across the desert in the middle of summer with it.

69hondo

Reaction score
u
Note that it may hard to find.

I found few Max Tow Silverados or Suburbans when I was shopping for CPO vehicles.

Lots of ads said they had it, but they all had the regular tow package (which is standard on the suburban)

Yup, I am starting to see that the more I look.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

We have an 08 escalade with the 6.2 and ALL the same issues, plus a few more. Pwr locks work when they want, heated/cooled seats haven't worked for ~80K miles, the rear hatch lift thing broke (and made horrible noises, finally removed the lift strut), the rear auto leveling suspension took a dump, and the button fell out to open the hatch glass from outside. Oh, and the remote start stopped working a long time ago too. Oh and one of the heater hoses developed a leak recently. Oh yeah, and the mirror dimming function gave up.

Its still reliable from a transportation perspective, and super comfy like you said, but holy f everything else is junk.

I've said it over and over again...they're all junk for the price we pay for them.

To answer the OP's question, I have towed quite a lot with ours, and it tows remarkably well. Ive towed up to the ~6500ish lb range and it does just fine. I have a few diesel vehicles but I am super impressed by the newer gas engines for what most people need to tow. Id buy one for what you are doing with no concerns, if you option it right.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Looks exactly like my wife’s. Tows the boat just fine. I’m not trying anything heavier. I’m getting a 2500 for the toy hauler eventually.

hallettheck

Reaction score
07 Escalade 170k miles...love it...AWD 6.2 owned for 11 years bought used with 37k.
Normal repairs..hoses ..belts....tires, normal stuff, except, last years needed a radiator.
Towed mostly S.F. Valley to LHC (Cobalt then Hallett now Playcraft). Will be up replacing
with 2016 Escalade when right deal comes up.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Had an 09' 1500 sub. that had the damn mileage saver deal on the 5.3. Poor trans shifted all over the place on chiraco with no trailer, just loaded up.

The govt. 2500's start at $70K. My ex picked up a loaded 19' Escalade with the 6.2 for $94K. She tows a 23 Warrior lifestyles TH with it.

boatpi

Reaction score
Look at the Ford first before buying

707dog

Reaction score
do you self a solid since sounds like going across the desert will be norm... add a extra trans cooler parallel with the stock one not sure how hard it will be on the new body style but did it with my 07 escalade made a big difference in trans temp as my new boat out weights the hallett by 800+ pounds. a well maintenanced and cooler trans is a happy trans.

rush1

Reaction score
At a 100 thousand miles on a GM you should replace the water pump, idler pulleys, belts and all hoses,heater hose connectors,radiator, fuel pump.as preventive maintenance

CobraDave

Reaction score
No offense intended but a 5.3 Suburban towing a 6,000 boat has got to be a DOG going uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
No offense intended but a 5.3 Suburban towing a 6,000 boat has got to be a DOG going uphill.

Most V6's have enough power to tow a 6000lb boat. The problem is they need the braking capacity to stop it.

CobraDave

Reaction score
And trust me I’m with LOF that you don’t need double the capacity to do it safely. But that motor in a standard pick up is lethargic. I’d imagine the suburban weighs much more. Enough with the pessimism, only one way to
Find out. Let us know how it does. Nice SUV for sure though. It will be awesome for the family.

69hondo

Reaction score
Update, we made a run to Havasu with the boat and new sub. New suburban towed great. On the way out I was in a hurry and towed between 70 and 75. Trans temp never went above 196 degrees. On the way home I was more conservative at 65mph. It kept 65mph all the way up the grade out of needles. We are very pleased with it.

20200418_120958.jpg