WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing with a mid 90's 454

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting away from the diesel headache with all of the emissions etc and buying a mid 90's 3/4 ton Suburban, my question is how do they tow? My boat (29 Fountain) weighs 8,600 on the trailer. I know I'm not going to be able to tow at 75 up the cajon pass with a older gas engine but aside from that, please let me know what you think.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting away from the diesel headache with all of the emissions etc and buying a mid 90's 3/4 ton Suburban, my question is how do they tow? My boat (29 Fountain) weighs 8,600 on the trailer. I know I'm not going to be able to tow at 75 up the cajon pass with a older gas engine but aside from that, please let me know what you think.

I had a 3/4 Sub with a Vortech 454. Thing had 410 gears and towed like a champ. You won't like the gas mileage however. You'll be filing that 50 gallon tank frequently. Lol.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I had a 3/4 Sub with a Vortech 454. Thing had 410 gears and towed like a champ. You won't like the gas mileage however. You'll be filing that 50 gallon tank frequently. Lol.

Thanks for the input, I'm not too worried about that because it's just going to be for a river vehicle because both my wife and I have other vehicles for our daily driver.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Make sure it's a Vortec and Not throttle body , they are dogs !

mobboss

Reaction score
i bought an 86 duelly its a one ton , on fuel injection, was a little bothered by it not being fuel injection but not now!! you should have no problems at all in what ever you find or like.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I towed my 29 Fountain with an 87 TBI dually with no problem a little slow on long hills but that was it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

waterhorse

Reaction score
I've had a couple 3/4 ton Burbs with 454s and they are great tow vehicles. Drive sensible and enjoy. Also be sure to service the trans (good quality filter and fluid).
When you add up the price of the Suburban + price of gasoline you might be seeing quite a savings. Even with the fuel mileage being not quite as good.:thumbsup

Last edited:

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I've had a couple 3/4 ton Burbs with 454s and they are great tow vehicles. Drive sensible and enjoy. Also be sure to service the trans (good quality filter and fluid).
When you add up the price of the Suburban + price of gasoline you might be seeing quite a savings. Even with the fuel mileage being not quite as good.:thumbsup

In the summer I plan on leaving it at Havasu so I don't have to worry about fuel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

cbrown24

Reaction score

This has been my baby! Pulls great! Perfect condition. On ebay with 2 days left. Only sold it because I have kids now and need a bigger cab. I am the original owner! photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 15.JPG

Schiada Time

Reaction score
My 1999 GMC 3/4 ton 2500 4x4 suburban is For Sale. Its an SLT model and is fully loaded with leather, front and rear A/C. Barn Door Truck, Factory tow package, predator brake controller, brand new tires and brakes. Well maintained with full service records. Pewter with grey leather. Clean and clear title. 7.4-L 454 Vortec. 143K miles. I can email pics

$5,500 OBO

Travis
714-276-5268