WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing with a newer Suburban??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So my truck is over at Bodyline getting fixed from when the snowbird plowed it in the parking lot awhile back.. and I decided to haul everything to the boat show with the wife’s suburban.

Starting this program the hitch is all the way up in the bumper.. So I had to buy a TEN INCH drop hitch to get this thing level.. WTF?

2798BEAF-8F68-4191-BDF0-8CE0C3ED38B0.jpeg

Then you Goto put the pin in and note you have to shove the cotter pin through the frame hooks to get it in there because there is no clearance between the truck and the hitch pin..

WtF x 2?

D8C88D37-45F5-48D5-AAE4-6A588F51B4A9.jpeg

So that all aside we are towing down the street and Goto stop and guess what.. no brake controller on the truck?

FB305771-AECD-4A43-AE1F-EB7CE157CE69.jpeg

These things used to be great launch vehicles and tow vehicles, but it seems like Chevy put zero thought into this program on the new ones?

it’s do able but a pain in the ass.. even my Midrange f150 from 13 has a brake controller built in..

Two thumbs down from me

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Brake controller was an option, I guess you didn’t check the box?
Maybe you can add the OEM one?

You gotta remember, the main intended function of the Suburban is to lug kids to soccer practice and cruise effortlessly down the road.

Towing and utility is secondary.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Who’s fault is it you didn’t get the tow package?? Chevy’s??

But I do gotta give you credit as you parallel parked it like a boss last night at the shop.

1rvrryd

Reaction score
The Max Trailering Package has the brake controller integrated in the dash, and load leveling shocks on the rear, and 3.43 rear end I believe. Your correct on the hitch, we run an 8" drop for our Hallett. Locking hitch pin helps with the tight access too.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
FWIW Dave my ‘18 F150 Max Tow has emergency chain hooks that are too small to be useable without small auxiliary hooks to hook my trailer to.

merc_400r

Reaction score
I don't know if I would be towing anything big without the max tow package. it helps a lot.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I had an 09’ sub 1/2 ton
Put slightly bigger tires on it and that damn trans fought itself trying to find a gear going up chiraco every time.
Was glad to sell it lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Dave, read the thread about towing with a newer 1/2 ton..... You don't need breaks according to the inmates "newer 1/2 tons tow better then older 3/4 tons"

Use the tow haul button, let the trany slow you down

Truth. They put the pedals on the floor there for a reason.. use ‘em :)

It isn’t GM’s fault Dave didn’t buy a Suburban with a tow package .

j21black

Reaction score
Seems you'd notice if it had a brake controller or not prior to needing one?

I knew my F150 did not have one, but it has 145K on it in 4 years. I used the F450 to pull to the boys dirt bike trailer to the track and sissy had a barrel race the same day. Can't use the F450 for both so I got on Amazon and bought a $35 reese controller and a $15 direct plug and play wire. Presto F150 has a brake controller.

Actually took me longer to watch the youtube video than it did to do the install.

Ford Factory controller was like $115.

j21black

Reaction score
I think it’s set at 1.5 or 2.0 for towing and the trailer brakes grab well.

IMG_8467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Seems you'd notice if it had a brake controller or not prior to needing one?

I knew my F150 did not have one, but it has 145K on it in 4 years. I used the F450 to pull to the boys dirt bike trailer to the track and sissy had a barrel race the same day. Can't use the F450 for both so I got on Amazon and bought a $35 reese controller and a $15 direct plug and play wire. Presto F150 has a brake controller.

Actually took me longer to watch the youtube video than it did to do the install.

Ford Factory controller was like $115.

Yes, this is a quite solvable problem for $50.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Or buy that $200 one that was posted not too long ago. It plus into your 7 pin connector and connects to your phone via blueteeth.

Dana757

Reaction score
I bought a brand new 3/4 ton back in 2005 with tow package and it didn't have a brake controller either.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I bought a brand new 3/4 ton back in 2005 with tow package and it didn't have a brake controller either.

Older 3/4 tons don’t need them, and RDP consortium of towing says the tow ratings are grossly conservative and to be ignored on those trucks. However on new trucks the numbers are not to be believed and you will kill yourself and everyone on the road if you try to tow even 30% under the tow rating.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Dave we just bought the same suburban but you have to get the Max trailering package. Thanks to a few members here I found one. Mine has built in trailer brakes lower gear ration and auto ride height t adjusting air bags. As soon as the tongue weight of mt 27 foot boat or 24 foot enclosed trailer goes on it the suburban automatically starts compensating.
IMG_20200216_114641_875.jpg

Last edited:

Swain

Reaction score
Our 2016 Yukon SLT has one built in with auto ride its nice, rides at stock height with tons of weight in the back

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Our '15 LT 5.3L 6 speed Suburban towed the boat ok, but the boat has surge brakes so no controller needed. My Duramax pulls everything else. Our '20 Denali XL with the 6.2 and 10 speed is AMAZING in comparison. The '15 averaged 6-8 SmilesPG from NM to Parker at 80 and would pass anything I needed to but the gas station. The '20 gets 15mpg same trip, same speed. The 10 speed always has a gear and the 6.2 always has the power.
For the drop hitch I got one of those overpriced aluminum jobs, and because of the mint investment in hitch I found a locking pin that is much easier to secure than the pin w/clip set up.

hallett21

Reaction score
So if you don’t have a brake controller. How hard do the trailer brakes grab?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You all seem to forget he didn't order this thing new, so you get what you get.

hallett21

Reaction score
they dont. theres nothing to tell the trailer to stop. full electric of electric over hydro you need a controller.

That’ll wake you up lol.

Trying to think of a trailer with a seven pin connector that wouldn’t require a brake controller. Why would Chevy allow you to legally connect the trailer but not provide the means to control the brakes?

I realize the controller is an option but without the controller you’d think they would only option the truck with a 4pin.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On the newer Chevys, isn't the tow haul/brake programed via the BCM? If that's the case, could he take it to a dealer and have it flashed?

Hitch height...you're screwed
Gearing...just don't tow too heavy :rolleyes:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’ll wake you up lol.

Trying to think of a trailer with a seven pin connector that wouldn’t require a brake controller. Why would Chevy allow you to legally connect the trailer but not provide the means to control the brakes?

I realize the controller is an option but without the controller you’d think they would only option the truck with a 4pin.

Why would Glock sell you a gun that you COULD go kill someone with?

Personal responsibility is why.

Brake controllers built into the truck have been around for only 10 years or so. Dave could go to the Auto Parts store or Walmart and solve this problem in an hour for under $100.

20 years ago you had to rewrire the back half of the truck to get a full function 7 pin connector if it did not come with it. That would be a big fiasco for a guy that went to the corner and bought an external trailer brake controller hoping to plug it in and go.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Why would Glock sell you a gun that you COULD go kill someone with?

Personal responsibility is why.

Brake controllers built into the truck have been around for only 10 years or so. Dave could go to the Auto Parts store or Walmart and solve this problem in an hour for under $100.

20 years ago you had to rewrire the back half of the truck to get a full function 7 pin connector if it did not come with it. That would be a big fiasco for a guy that went to the corner and bought an external trailer brake controller hoping to plug it in and go.

Oh I hear ya.

But I doubt the average joe realizes his trailer brakes (which are required to function by law?) require a controller.

I’ve never towed a 7pin trailer without one which is why I asked.

I’m all for the halftons pulling heavy loads, assuming they have trailer brakes lol.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The integrated brake controller deal is pretty new on GM's.

I have owned lots of silverados with the tow package that didn't include a brake controller. There is typically a pig tail in the glove box or behind the rear seat for wiring.

Our new 2020 silverado came with the $250 integrated brake controller/

Taboma

Reaction score
I could be wrong here BUT are you not suppose to cross those safety chains ?

Funny, but my Havasu neighbor wanders over and informs me I should cross them ---- then I politely showed him that both chains were connected to the same spot on the trailer 🤔 "Oh, I see" 😁

Singleton

Reaction score
I believe that thing only has a 8k tow limit.
When I purchased my Yukon, I know for a fact the Yukon had a higher tie rating then the Yukon XL.

Saw it drive north a few miles south of the turnoff to Laughlin

j21black

Reaction score
That’ll wake you up lol.

My boat trailer. Plugs into 7 pin and has surge brakes, like most.
Tons of vehicles have the 7-pin and no standard-equipment factory controller...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nearly all of them anymore. My wife's little Lexus SUV has a 7-pin.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I was pretty impressed actually of how little to no sag when I pulled the Cigarette around with our Yukon XL. Ours is the 2500 and has the tow package but still. I don't know what the tongue weight is on the Cig but it's gotta be pretty significant! Pulled it pretty well too considering it was prob. at least 4k lbs over rated weight! 😳 Just wasn't a fan of climbing hills.

untitled.png

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The integrated brake controller deal is pretty new on GM's.

I have owned lots of silverados with the tow package that didn't include a brake controller. There is typically a pig tail in the glove box or behind the rear seat for wiring.

Our new 2020 silverado came with the $250 integrated brake controller/

I know for sure it was an option in the 16-18 models.

@hallett21 I think most every vehicle that comes with a 7 pin comes with the brake controller dongle. I know all Chevys Toyota’s and Fords do.

j21black

Reaction score
Oh I hear ya.

But I doubt the average joe realizes his trailer brakes (which are required to function by law?) require a controller.

I’ve never towed a 7pin trailer without one which is why I asked.

I’m all for the halftons pulling heavy loads, assuming they have trailer brakes lol.

While I don't have a ton of faith in humanity, I would think most people pulling a trailer with a truck understand if the trailer has brakes or not and what makes them function.

You can't even rent a U-Haul trailer without the properly equipped tow rig for the specific trailer.

I rented a car hauler from them to haul my JEEP home when i bought it new. They started asking all kinds of questions and I finally just told them my truck is an F250 Diesel and the questions stopped. They hook the trailer up, and unhook it for you, and you supposedly can't unhook it. They do it that way from a liability standpoint. I don't remember how they locked it on there but I unhooked it from the truck. Just used a floor jack, pulled the pin, and pulled the drop hitch out of the reciever.

Now I was watching show on campers the other night and the guy wanted to buy a camper for his family to use and their only requirement was his mini van had to be able to pull it. I'd guess that guy knows nothing of trailer brakes. I don't know what he ended up with but he wasn't looking at pop ups. I turned it off a few minutes in after I heard "mini-van" 40 times.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
While I don't have a ton of faith in humanity, I would think most people pulling a trailer with a truck understand if the trailer has brakes or not and what makes them function.

You can't even rent a U-Haul trailer without the properly equipped tow rig for the specific trailer.

I rented a car hauler from them to haul my JEEP home when i bought it new. They started asking all kinds of questions and I finally just told them my truck is an F250 Diesel and the questions stopped. They hook the trailer up, and unhook it for you, and you supposedly can't unhook it. They do it that way from a liability standpoint. I don't remember how they locked it on there but I unhooked it from the truck. Just used a floor jack, pulled the pin, and pulled the drop hitch out of the reciever.

Now I was watching show on campers the other night and the guy wanted to buy a camper for his family to use and their only requirement was his mini van had to be able to pull it. I'd guess that guy knows nothing of trailer brakes.

ALWAYS tell UHAUL you are towing a Miata on their car trailer. :)

Cobalt232

Reaction score

Now I was watching show on campers the other night and the guy wanted to buy a camper for his family to use and their only requirement was his mini van had to be able to pull it. I'd guess that guy knows nothing of trailer brakes. I don't know what he ended up with but he wasn't looking at pop ups. I turned it off a few minutes in after I heard "mini-van" 40 times.
My part time college job in Colorado in the mid 80's was a combo car wash / U-haul dealer.

My training to rent U-hauls was to just 'figure it out'. At the time U-haul also rented car top carriers that attached to the rain gutters of the cars. Now, many years later, I wonder if all the trailers and car top carriers made it to their destination. I almost forgot how we made the lights 'work'. We had special bulbs with wires coming out of them that replaced the car's tail and brake lights. The wires plugged into the trailer.

The upshot of the job was that I got really good at backing trailers up. We used a CJ-5 (also had a snow plow) to jockey the trailers around. Nothing harder than backing up the small trailers with a short wheelbase Jeep.