WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing with a newer Suburban??

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Brake controller was an option, I guess you didn’t check the box?
Maybe you can add the OEM one?

You gotta remember, the main intended function of the Suburban is to lug kids to soccer practice and cruise effortlessly down the road.

Towing and utility is secondary.

The truck forums I frequent, all say the OEM integrate brake controller cannot be added. If not originally equipped, aftermarket brake controller is the only option.

I believe on the 2014-2018 GM 1500 trucks IBC was available with Trailering Equipment (Z82) or Max Trailering Package (NHT). I have it on my 2014 Sierra 1500 w/Max Trailering. Yukon or Suburban I think only with the Trailering Package.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Brake controller was an option, I guess you didn’t check the box?
Maybe you can add the OEM one?

You gotta remember, the main intended function of the Suburban is to lug kids to soccer practice and cruise effortlessly down the road.

Towing and utility is secondary.

We bought this one used, but it was a “Premier” so it has pretty much every option and I thought I remember it saying tow package?

It’s got the lane assist and adaptive cruise control 2 entertainment centers etc.

I will find out if we can get the tow package added if it doesn’t have one?

j21black

Reaction score
The truck forums I frequent, all say the OEM integrate brake controller cannot be added. If not originally equipped, aftermarket brake controller is the only option.

I believe on the 2014-2018 GM 1500 trucks IBC was available with Trailering Equipment (Z82) or Max Trailering Package (NHT). I have it on my 2014 Sierra 1500 w/Max Trailering. Yukon or Suburban I think only with the Trailering Package.

Must be a GM thing. my 16 F150 has a bank in the space where the factory controller goes. That blank actually has a pigtail connection on the back side of it. The factory pigtail plugs into the back of the blank. All you have to do is buy the factory controller, rip apart the dash, which is quite simple, remove pigtail wire from back of blank, remove blank, plug pigtail into factory controller, install new unit in blank, reassemble dash.

Or buy an aftermarket controller and a pigtail wire that connects the controller to the wire pulled off the back of the blank.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We bought this one used, but it was a “Premier” so it has pretty much every option and I thought I remember it saying tow package?

It’s got the lane assist and adaptive cruise control 2 entertainment centers etc.

I will find out if we can get the tow package added if it doesn’t have one?

Might be part of the “max tow” package.

If not make a little billet mount for an aftermarket controller, and just plug it in when needed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Would be interesting to figure out if it was a wiring difference, or a software hack.

I have a program for my Ford that allows me to enable any feature offered if I can plug in the hardware for it.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Would be interesting to figure out if it was a wiring difference, or a software hack.

I have a program for my Ford that allows me to enable any feature offered if I can plug in the hardware for it.

I think it involves adding modules and programming. I’m sure it’s not as simple as that, otherwise it would have been done already. There’s always at least or two geniuses on every auto forum that figure out the hack for a difficult problem.

I also believe a notice was issued by GM to dealers stating that the IBC could not be added, only an aftermarket unit could be added.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Dave we just bought the same suburban but you have to get the Max trailering package. Thanks to a few members here I found one. Mine has built in trailer brakes lower gear ration and auto ride height t adjusting air bags. As soon as the tongue weight of mt 27 foot boat or 24 foot enclosed trailer goes on it the suburban automatically starts compensating. View attachment 849453

You have to compensate for that Big Deck?

j21black

Reaction score

We need to be friends. :)

JayBreww

Reaction score
Regarding the brake controller, my dad ordered a 2016 Chevy 2500 with tow package. Had the brake controller on the dash. Drove it for 20,000 miles, found a paper in the glove box stating do not sell as tow package. Took it back, they gave him a brand new 2017 0 miles for messing that up.
Said they would have to rewire the entire truck in order for the controller to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Regarding the brake controller, my dad ordered a 2016 Chevy 2500 with tow package. Had the brake controller on the dash. Drove it for 20,000 miles, found a paper in the glove box stating do not sell as tow package. Took it back, they gave him a brand new 2017 0 miles for messing that up.
Said they would have to rewire the entire truck in order for the controller to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are saying the dealer just put the panel in the truck with the brake controller? lol

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Might be part of the “max tow” package.

If not make a little billet mount for an aftermarket controller, and just plug it in when needed.

Yeah my 2015 is Tow Package, no controller so I’ve got a Prodigy. Also 3.42 gears.

Max Tow Package had the factory integrated controller. It also had 3.73’s but I couldn’t for the life of me find a Max Tow Package CPO when I was shopping for a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah my 2015 is Tow Package, no controller so I’ve got a Prodigy. Also 3.42 gears.

Max Tow Package had the factory integrated controller. It also had 3.73’s but I couldn’t for the life of me find a Max Tow Package CPO when I was shopping for a truck.

When I was looking at Chevy's many had the basic towing package with the integrated controller added on as an additional option.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm kinda excited to hook something up to the new caddy and see what that 6.2 feels like with a little load.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
I was pretty impressed actually of how little to no sag when I pulled the Cigarette around with our Yukon XL. Ours is the 2500 and has the tow package but still. I don't know what the tongue weight is on the Cig but it's gotta be pretty significant! Pulled it pretty well too considering it was prob. at least 4k lbs over rated weight! 😳 Just wasn't a fan of climbing hills.

View attachment 849481

I towed our Cig with our diesel Excursion and it was actually not bad. Ended up replacing it with a F350 CC diesel, but the SUV did the job. Having good trailer brakes makes a huge difference.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So quick update.. I assumed the truck didn’t have one because nothing popped up on the screens when I hooked the trailer up.
On the way home I noticed this getting in

Much better experience on the way home when it wasn’t set to zero.. lol

AFF1262B-B4D0-4CAE-988A-E4E5640861DD.jpeg
F481FD37-AC84-4B7D-9069-8B670EA3705B.jpeg

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
lmao. Well, you’re dialed in!

The salesman never went over the features of the vehicle before you drove off the lot?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Lol. You got the integrated controller. The last picture shows the two buttons and one dial for it

:rolleyes:

69hondo

Reaction score
BWHAHA. LOL You do have the max trailering package.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You guys are all dicks...

RD grew up with a house on the river.

Meaning??

He's never had to tow a Damm thing!!

Meaning??

He doesn't know the first thing about towing...

Maybe you could help poor ol RD out, instead of bagging on him???

Naw. Nevermind...

Carry on! 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake. LOL

This is worse than you not checking the box.

My Cheapie F-150 you hook a trailer up to it and all that shit comes to life. Lol. How was I supposed to know the fancy suburban with lane assist / auto emergency braking / adaptive cruise control / and auto suck wouldn’t know if there was a trailer behind it. Lol

more to the point you cruise through all the screens and there’s one option that says trailer, but didn’t seem to do anything.
The brake controller was right behind the steering wheel while I was driving which is why I never saw it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My Cheapie F-150 you hook a trailer up to it and all that shit comes to life. Lol. How was I supposed to know the fancy suburban with lane assist / auto emergency braking / adaptive cruise control / and auto suck wouldn’t know if there was a trailer behind it. Lol

more to the point you cruise through all the screens and there’s one option that says trailer, but didn’t seem to do anything.
The brake controller was right behind the steering wheel while I was driving which is why I never saw it.

What is this now, Millennial Dave’s Place? :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What is this now, Millennial Dave’s Place? :)

Thsts a lotta bullshit for not seeing a brake controller behind a steering wheel isn’t it? Lol

btw I still say this thing isn’t half the tow vehicle
Of my f150 or my last navigator.. that little enclosed was pushing the back end all over the road..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thsts a lotta bullshit for not seeing a brake controller behind a steering wheel isn’t it? Lol

Of my f150 or my last navigator.. that little enclosed was pushing the back end all over the road..

So does it have the auto leveling suspension then?

I have not towed with that model, but the previous gen tows excellent. I cant imagine that one being too much different.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So does it have the auto leveling suspension then?

I have not towed with that model, but the previous gen tows excellent. I cant imagine that one being too much different.

It does have the air bags etc.. I think it’s the ginormous drop hitch that is making it suck.. it adds some length in the drop adding leverage from the trailer to the burban..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Pushing the back all around on a heavier tow vehicle? One has to wonder about the trailer's weight distribution then.

merc_400r

Reaction score
Pushing the back all around on a heavier tow vehicle? One has to wonder about the trailer's weight distribution then.

After reading this thread I am thinking the same thing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

We were hauling clothing in the trailer.. LOL. Not SXS's etc.. The clothes were stacked over and ahead of the axles as well. The rest of the stuff in there was pretty light weight.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We were hauling clothing in the trailer.. LOL. Not SXS's etc.. The clothes were stacked over and ahead of the axles as well. The rest of the stuff in there was pretty light weight.

That trailer needs weight in it. It will tow better with your SXS over the axles.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
When we moved we put all the heavy items up in the nose of the trailer. Problem was..... We just had so much shit and everything else was able to be packed so densely that the CG of the trailer actually ended up too far back. Luckily I was towing it with a 1 ton Diesel and picked up a away control for it cause I had to crank the shit out of that sway control to get it to keep that trailer in line.

Your F-150 and that suburban actually have about the same curb weight and wheel base but the sub has more weight over the rear wheels (unloaded vs unloaded) than the Ford. It shouldn't tow much of any different as far as control with the equal trailers loaded properly. I'm fairly certain your truck doesn't have active sway control (uses the trailer brakes to keep the trailer inline before the driver even notices) on it and that would be the biggest difference maker IMHO.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
RD make sure your tires have enough air in them.
Too low and you get sidewall squirm.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
RD make sure your tires have enough air in them.
Too low and you get sidewall squirm.

I was going to mention this as well. I had a Tahoe with some bs tires on it that had no sidewalk strength and it would wander all over if a semi blew by me. I put bigger wheels and higher load range tires and it helped a ton.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
you need to run these.. double check they fit your model..
AIR LIFT 60769 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit
yes u need them even with factory air bags or load leveling system.. never had any issues with dealer warranty adding these..
they fit inside rear coil springs and when u tow u add some air.. keeps it from blowing the stock air shocks and keeps it level..
used them on our 2015 yukon denali and made towing nicer..

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Dave, I’d probably had made that mistake buying a tow rig in today’s high tech world.