WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toxic company and getting out.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I have been working for a tech company for close to 20 years as a Director of Engineering, and have decided that the time has come to depart. Their reputation is as a toxic/hostile workplace is long and getting worse. What I am encountering is that their reputation locally is so bad, that nobody wants to hire their employees out of fear of importing that toxic attitude into their places. As a technical person I am not directly involved in creating this environment but I am subject to the dictates of those who are.

I have interviewed for several positions commensurate with my background, and I inevitably get the questions about the culture there. I try to defer and soft pedal it, but they all know how bad it is from the reviews on Glassdoor.

I am looking advice on how to address this issue without getting into the details with a potential employer.

Suggestions?

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Tell the truth and explain its reason behind leaving. If your future employer doesn’t understand that then you don’t want to work for them either.

I have been working for a tech company for close to 20 years as a Director of Engineering, and have decided that the time has come to depart. Their reputation is as a toxic/hostile workplace is long and getting worse. What I am encountering is that their reputation locally is so bad, that nobody wants to hire their employees out of fear of importing that toxic attitude into their places. As a technical person I am not directly involved in creating this environment but I am subject to the dictates of those who are.

I have interviewed for several positions commensurate with my background, and I inevitably get the questions about the culture there. I try to defer and soft pedal it, but they all know how bad it is from the reviews on Glassdoor.

I am looking advice on how to address this issue without getting into the details with a potential employer.

Suggestions?

bocco

Reaction score
I have to admit that if your at the director level I would probably assume that you were part of the management team that created the toxic culture. You might have to go into details. To be honest, I would be concerned about the length of time you spent there unless that toxic environment came with recent change in upper management. To be even more honest, I have worked as an individual contributor in this sort of working environment and it wasn't fun.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I would let them know that this is a big part of the reason for seeking other employment.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

Suggestions?
Get with a professional head hunter and he will have the contacts and expertise to get you what you want. Don't settle for anyone but the best at the best firm you can find.

I know for a fact these guys handle tense situations like yours.......

Backlash

Reaction score
Good for you for not succumbing to the pressures of those around you. I find myself in a similar situation and I refuse to be part of that toxic nonsense. No thanks, I don't drink Kool-Aid. Stand firm and keep your morals and ethics. You will land something better in the end (And will probably be happier too). Like already stated, try not to fall into the trap of badmouthing those people, even though everyone knows how it is. Just be the better person and try your best not to spend a lot of time hashing it over.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I know you mentioned staying locally, but I thought I would mention that Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson is hiring tons of people. They've inked lots of new and follow-on contracts lately. They offer handsome relocation packages also and the cost of housing is incredibly affordable. I was just at their hiring event myself.

Best of Luck on your job search

TCHB

Reaction score
I hate to hear these kind of things because a good leader can change the culture to a positive team environment where people can thrive. I have worked for people that think they know everything and dictate how you will work. I would move on as soon as I could.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I have to admit that if your at the director level I would probably assume that you were part of the management team that created the toxic culture. You might have to go into details. To be honest, I would be concerned about the length of time you spent there unless that toxic environment came with recent change in upper management. To be even more honest, I have worked as an individual contributor in this sort of working environment and it wasn't fun.

My part was as a Technical lead and managed the design & development teams. HR and the C-Suite guys developed the policies and ordered us to implement them, Many of them I objected to... namely "forced ranking" in perfomance reviews as a means to facilitate turnover and dole out bonuses. 1 to 5 scale based on a bell curve. My managers would write their appraisals of their direct reports, I woulld read and sign them. They were then forwarded to HR who compiled the "rankings" and sent them back for implementation.

Many excellent engineers who were in their mid to late 50's were sacked for "performance". It was/is the kiss of death for their careers and I always hated doing it, but had no real choice in the matter. I get this feeling that I am now a targeted individual, and am looking to exit before what I rightly percieve as trouble. There are a bunch of new C-Suite people who are looking to slash 10% of the workforce and I dread the method(s) they will use against otherwise great engineers who report to my managers.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My part was as a Technical lead and managed the design & development teams. HR and the C-Suite guys developed the policies and ordered us to implement them, Many of them I objected to... namely "forced ranking" in perfomance reviews as a means to facilitate turnover and dole out bonuses. 1 to 5 scale based on a bell curve. My managers would write their appraisals of their direct reports, I woulld read and sign them. They were then forwarded to HR who compiled the "rankings" and sent them back for implementation.

Many excellent engineers who were in their mid to late 50's were sacked for "performance". It was/is the kiss of death for their careers and I always hated doing it, but had no real choice in the matter. I get this feeling that I am now a targeted individual, and am looking to exit before what I rightly percieve as trouble. There are a bunch of new C-Suite people who are looking to slash 10% of the workforce and I dread the method(s) they will use against otherwise great engineers who report to my managers.

Ah yes.. the old forced rank bell curve merit suppression/attrition tactic!

20 years at one company is a long time. I would not think it would be a big deal to explain your reasons for wanting a change -

New challenges, new culture, fresh perspective, you can make a bigger impact and create more value somewhere else.

bocco

Reaction score

Actually, that sounds like the perfect explanation for an interview.

Singleton

Reaction score
With 20 years at the company it will be hard to get away from the preception of the company culture and your involvement in it. Even though the C-suite and HR set policies, the turnover you documented is going to follow you. Your team members who have left might be pushing a story you were part of the problem and not trying to resolve the company culture concerns.

How long have you been a Director? You might be able to use that. Stating you thought being promoted you could change that culture within your organization and have come to the realization you can’t so you are looking elsewhere.